View Poll Results: What do you think of cross-realm zones?

Voters
858. This poll is closed
  • I like it

346 40.33%
  • I hate it

339 39.51%
  • I don't care.

173 20.16%
Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceleaf View Post
    Check out stuff like these realms
    http://www.wowprogress.com/pve/eu/crushridge
    http://www.wowprogress.com/pve/eu/hakkar
    And these are on the "worst end". Most middle realms are pretty empty as well. Figure out rest.

I think the idea they want to give us is bit too naive.
    I mean lets be honest here, its to counter massive drops from cata and that some realms are high some are super super low. Merging is out of the question and I guess they cant bother constantly have free transfers to "soon-dead realms".
    Just dont go out saying "we want everyone to be social and have fuuun! totally nothing else to it", only hardcore fanboys buy that..right?

I just wish there was way to get 90s off killing quest givers constantly.
    Why is realm merging out of the question? Every MMO on the market when they realize they got too many servers and not enough players, merge the ones that aren't ideal population into 1 brand new realm. Naming issues last maybe a couple days, but in the end, people get over it. Most that handle naming when it comes to merges, is the first person to log on that has a conflicting name, if they simply hit okay when prompted to change the name, are the ones who end up keeping the name. First come, first serve. Which is exactly what happens even now. If you roll on a server, if someone already has the name you always go by, oh well. Make a variation of said name.

I personally think realm mergers are a lot more efficient. Allow me to explain with a hypothetical. Say you are an MMO company. You are paying the upkeep for 20 servers in 1 building and each server holds 500,000 players. You soon come to realize half them servers are near dead and not holding a population you feel is adequate to justify keeping the server. You crunch player numbers and discover that if you merged 5 of these servers into 1 brand new server, and 5 of the other servers into their own new server you end up reducing yourself from paying the upkeep for 20 servers, to paying the upkeep of 12 servers instead.

If CRZ is supposed to be a bandaid for low population servers, it's not a very efficient system. Because not only are they still paying the upkeep of the dead servers, now they have the CRZ server itself added to it. Yeah might be cost saving, but it is still a poor bandaid. A more permanent solution is available, and perfectly doable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alewen View Post
    Why is realm merging out of the question? Every MMO on the market when they realize they got too many servers and not enough players (...snip)
    Maybe I should've been more specific. Server merges would be good.

But its more about the press it would cause. "Server merges" still got huge stigma of "well its dying now its official!".
    Also some unofficial stuff on servers (some are full of certain nationality etc) dont make it "super simple". Yeah crz is bandaid.

Deleted
    Why is realm merging out of the question? Every MMO on the market when they realize they got too many servers and not enough players, merge the ones that aren't ideal population into 1 brand new realm. Naming issues last maybe a couple days, but in the end, people get over it. Most that handle naming when it comes to merges, is the first person to log on that has a conflicting name, if they simply hit okay when prompted to change the name, are the ones who end up keeping the name. First come, first serve. Which is exactly what happens even now. If you roll on a server, if someone already has the name you always go by, oh well. Make a variation of said name.

I personally think realm mergers are a lot more efficient. Allow me to explain with a hypothetical. Say you are an MMO company. You are paying the upkeep for 20 servers in 1 building and each server holds 500,000 players. You soon come to realize half them servers are near dead and not holding a population you feel is adequate to justify keeping the server. You crunch player numbers and discover that if you merged 5 of these servers into 1 brand new server, and 5 of the other servers into their own new server you end up reducing yourself from paying the upkeep for 20 servers, to paying the upkeep of 12 servers instead.

If CRZ is supposed to be a bandaid for low population servers, it's not a very efficient system. Because not only are they still paying the upkeep of the dead servers, now they have the CRZ server itself added to it. Yeah might be cost saving, but it is still a poor bandaid. A more permanent solution is available, and perfectly doable.
    Eureka, here's how to solve the name issue (one of the biggest issues when merging realms): every time a nickname is used by 2 people, put up an English auction a-la BMAH, for real currency (EUR, USD, etc). Highest winner wins, rest gets a free name change. Ca-shing! $ {◕ ◡ ◕} $

Btw SWTOR first did free character transfer to big realm. And then they just moved all the old characters from the dead realm anyway. So first I was like OK well interesting what about these old chars. Then, like that. Now I have 7/6 chars on one realm (I mean server, don't say realm in SWTOR.. "this isn't WoW ") but cause of free member I have 7/2 slots. Can't even make a new char to level. Wah.

The pathetic thing ofc that in SWTOR if you got name with 1 letter difference, it wasn't allowed. So my buddy had a name which was almost like Blow but 1 letter difference. Curseword. LOL and he used that word for 6+ months as name before, and it was nothing LIKE a curseword. Myself I had to change my name cause Lucy is apparently a variation of Luck. Whatever man. Then one prick decided to pre take the brilliant nickname I had. Well that sucked, but it happens.

---------- Post added 2013-01-23 at 04:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I don't mean to say 'I don't care.' If thats what you think. The ignore/report thing seems to work for me if I do it multiple times. Thats all I can really say. If its happening to you, try it more than once. If that doesn't work and its a bug, I am sure Blizz will fix it.
    Ehm my gripe with CRZ aside from first hand experience on low pop realm boils down to PvP, PvP gear grind, low level vs high level. Nothing we discuss here really. We managed to stay away from PvP debate. I like that.

Again, the AH thing is legit, but they are working on it in different forms. They are tinkering with node spawn rate, and increasing farmable mats you get from your sunsong ranch.
    Sunsong = Pandaria = no resource issue like CRZ and x-realm.

The 2-seater is a bug, they are working on it and I am confident they can and will do it.
    They didn't say they were working on it. They confirmed the bug, they said it wasn't easy to fix.

It is either NEW or ASSIGNED or RESOLVED / WONTFIX. Let me explain the context.

NEW: denotes they did confirm the bug, but haven't decided who to assign it to yet.
    ASSIGNED: denotes a develop is assigned to deal with the bug.
    RESOLVED / WONTFIX: denotes the bug is, in this case, not going to be solved any time soon. It can be reopened later. Like for example, during development of next expansion.

None of this denotes any time frame whatsoever. There's no ETA.

I just feel like if you are letting a 2 seat mount ruin on the great story, social interaction, bosses you can kill, solo content you can kill, is too much. I would actually prefer to turn off the radio if I thought I was about to go mental.
    Its still a regression. It is still something which worked perfectly fine, actually pretty much a premium feature (given the rarity of these mounts) and yet it doesn't work anymore basically anywhere you'd use it. I mean where do you use 2 person seat mount? CRZ.
    Last edited by mmoc41a7fbf474; 2013-01-23 at 03:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    Eureka, here's how to solve the name issue (one of the biggest issues when merging realms): every time a nickname is used by 2 people, put up an English auction a-la BMAH, for real currency (EUR, USD, etc). Highest winner wins, rest gets a free name change. Ca-shing! $ {◕ ◡ ◕} $

Btw SWTOR first did free character transfer to big realm. And then they just moved all the old characters from the dead realm anyway. So first I was like OK well interesting what about these old chars. Then, like that. Now I have 7/6 chars on one realm (I mean server, don't say realm in SWTOR.. "this isn't WoW ") but cause of free member I have 7/2 slots. Can't even make a new char to level. Wah.

The pathetic thing ofc that in SWTOR if you got name with 1 letter difference, it wasn't allowed. So my buddy had a name which was almost like Blow but 1 letter difference. Curseword. LOL and he used that word for 6+ months as name before, and it was nothing LIKE a curseword. Myself I had to change my name cause Lucy is apparently a variation of Luck. Whatever man. Then one prick decided to pre take the brilliant nickname I had. Well that sucked, but it happens.

---------- Post added 2013-01-23 at 04:31 AM ----------

Ehm my gripe with CRZ aside from first hand experience on low pop realm boils down to PvP, PvP gear grind, low level vs high level. Nothing we discuss here really. We managed to stay away from PvP debate. I like that.

Sunsong = Pandaria = no resource issue like CRZ and x-realm.

They didn't say they were working on it. They confirmed the bug, they said it wasn't easy to fix.

<Image>

It is either NEW or ASSIGNED or RESOLVED / WONTFIX. Let me explain the context.

NEW: denotes they did confirm the bug, but haven't decided who to assign it to yet.
    ASSIGNED: denotes a develop is assigned to deal with the bug.
    RESOLVED / WONTFIX: denotes the bug is, in this case, not going to be solved any time soon. It can be reopened later. Like for example, during development of next expansion.

None of this denotes any time frame whatsoever. There's no ETA.

Its still a regression. It is still something which worked perfectly fine, actually pretty much a premium feature (given the rarity of these mounts) and yet it doesn't work anymore basically anywhere you'd use it. I mean where do you use 2 person seat mount? CRZ.
    Very good post. And yeah the 2 seater definitely falls in the wont fix category for right now, because they said it themselves. It's a technical limitation that has no fix right now. The thing is, somehow, I suspect CRZ bypassed QA, because how the heck did something this buggy that was reported repeatedly by tons of people in the beta, make it live? QA should of told Blizzard no on releasing it till it was in a far better quality. That's how I feel about it.

i do find CRZ amusing how much of a waste of time it is.

its like waiting at the grocery store and choosing to sit in the longest line just for the fun of being near people. like living in NY and celebrating rush hour traffic

if blizz wanted to fix CRZ they should atleast increase the spawn of quest mobs to contend with the larger amount of people in that area.

So looking at the poll of this thread, looks like in the end, more people hate CRZ than those who like it. But by a very narrow margine of 2%. But at the same time there's an almost 20% group that are neutral, that could swing either way. If these numbers actually applied to the overall community in game, the ones who love CRZ, even if there is an opt out option, would still have quite a large majority participating in CRZ.

So the question is, can both sides agree that an opt out option, would not be a bad thing at all? CRZ would still have a rather huge portion of players, and the neutrals would probably be the ones toggling on and off, while the ones who don't like it, wont turn it on at all. I think both sides would win, with an opt out option.

Very good post. And yeah the 2 seater definitely falls in the wont fix category for right now, because they said it themselves. It's a technical limitation that has no fix right now. The thing is, somehow, I suspect CRZ bypassed QA, because how the heck did something this buggy that was reported repeatedly by tons of people in the beta, make it live? QA should of told Blizzard no on releasing it till it was in a far better quality. That's how I feel about it.
    There's a difference between testing it on the PTR with a couple of thousand of people, and then deploying it on live realms for 10 million people. Let's assume the regions are somewhat equal in size and number. That's 3-4 million people in each pool. That is a LOT of people using this kind of tech. Sometimes you just cannot test tech without applying it to the general public. It's simply not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    There's a difference between testing it on the PTR with a couple of thousand of people, and then deploying it on live realms for 10 million people. Let's assume the regions are somewhat equal in size and number. That's 3-4 million people in each pool. That is a LOT of people using this kind of tech. Sometimes you just cannot test tech without applying it to the general public. It's simply not possible.
    except this feature was in the beta, not PTR. Beta wasn't public. It had a very sizable playerbase across 2 servers. One pvp server, 1 pve server. They got so full in the starting areas it wasn't even funny. And a ton of people informed Blizzard early on in the beta (Again, not a PTR), of these issues. And the beta ended and the expansion shipped with the bugs in place. So again, one has to ask. How did it make it off of the beta, through QA and implemented live?

10+ Year Old Account
    CRZ ruined Silvermoon City on my (RP) server. You can't even pass through there for ten seconds to go farm small eggs for Santa's gingerbread cookies without hearing insane gibberish and yelling about whores and penises. I'm not joking. My little, quiet RP server got a huge influx of people from the biggest RP server, and all of those people seem to be crackheads.

Other than that, I haven't encountered very many problems with it. I'm incredibly fortunate to have had every profession maxed at the end of Cata so the mats I needed would all be in Pandaria, though. If that wasn't true I'm sure I'd be really angry about seeing that very same server pop up every three seconds to take the node I was walking towards.

I did, however, recently level a level 81 worgen on a PvP server (Sargeras) to 85, and every time I was the victim of a ganking, it was someone from another server. I didn't rage or anything; I mean, it's a PvP server. But it was very frustrating to summon my 90 friends and have the coward get a hand from someone on his realID and disappear. You can't even /who them and spy on their location so you can target them and ruin their day. And to make things worse, I couldn't get any obsidian nodes because there were god damn bots in every corner I looked, and I couldn't kill 'em 'cause they had too much HP at 90.

And the two-seater mount thing is ridiculous. As a sort of extension to that, zoning into a new zone and having your screen freeze or spending 10 sec waiting for NPCs in Orgrimmar is a pain. I was chasing some guy in Org on my server (he was an Alliance that had been killing our Auctioneers) and I followed him out of Org over the front gate, but thanks to CRZ, everything disappeared and by the time everything loaded back in, he was nowhere to be found. Very annoying.

I wouldn't hate it so much if the tech would stop being awful. And we need to do something about the small servers getting their mats taken away. I can't really find low level mats on the AH anymore on BWR; I usually have to go out and steal them from leveling lowbies. That doesn't sit right with me. But how else am I supposed to make potions of giant growth? :P
    Pokemon FC: 5112-3501-2407 Trainer: Oli FS: Viscoe - Farfetch'd/Hoothoot/Rufflet - Currently Full, DO NOT ADD
    Secondary 3DS: 3668-8923-2263 FS: Slider - Phanpy/Camerupt/Diggersby

Deleted
    That's one thing I never thought about. I mean realm culture clash sure, but RP realm culture clash. Never thought of that. And yeah, RP realm means you must RP in communication but really it allows for so much creativity in communication and customs and culture making each RP realm quite unique.

Well, since this thread is still going...

Confession time, I have a dirty little secret. I bought the Pandaland expansion during the Christmas sale, and bought a one-month sub about two weeks ago. I feel so dirty.

I decided to start a brand new character on a brand new server, low to medium population. No guild or perks, no heirlooms, level 1 to 90 in a week was my goal. A blood elf warlock, since I've never made a warlock to a high level before.

Good god, it was a nightmare. The majority of my 1-10 experience in Eversong was spent waiting on quest givers to respawn because CRZ-zoned-in Alliance players were killing quest givers. And I think many can agree that the blood elf and draenei leveling areas are tortuous enough to get through.

Going from my experience on the trial character in the Barrens, I avoided that whole area this time around. No time to waste on quests, especially since they're all chained together nowadays. Rough time leveling my professions, what with the uncanny amount of people swooping in to beat me to them.

I just about tore my hair out by the time I made it to Winterspring. There was a "line" of people waiting at the corner of that one lake, where you have to kill 10 ghosts. Problem is, there's only about 5-6 spawned in a time, and they take a hell of a long time to respawn. I think that was around the time I decided to cancel my sub just so I could vent to some poor Blizzard analyst about how CRZ was making it extremely difficult to have fun in the game.

All I remember about hitting 85 and going to Pandaria was thinking, "Thank god! Finally no more CRZ." Things finally picked up, no more annoying cross server nonsense, and I finally managed my goal of doing 99% of the PVE content with half a month to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by puppypizza View Post
    All I remember about hitting 85 and going to Pandaria was thinking, "Thank god! Finally no more people." Things finally picked up, no more annoying cross server nonsense, and I finally managed my goal of doing 99% of the PVE content with half a month to spare.
    ftfy. Since you obviously enjoy soloing while leveling instead of seeing other people (most of your complaints are around other people being in the zone with you), of course you are not going to like CRZ.

All I remember about hitting 85 and going to Pandaria was thinking, "Thank god! Finally no more CRZ." Things finally picked up, no more annoying cross server nonsense, and I finally managed my goal of doing 99% of the PVE content with half a month to spare.
    Why are you playing a mmorpg instead of just a rpg out of curiosity?

Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    ftfy. Since you obviously enjoy soloing while leveling instead of seeing other people (most of your complaints are around other people being in the zone with you), of course you are not going to like CRZ.
    Well, if you wanna fix it further, "Thank god! Finally no more people competing against me or slowing me down."

I'm usually a non-antagonistic person by nature, though it probably doesn't show on forums. All of those times that there were other people doing the same quest, I hesitated so that they could get it first. I don't believe in making other people as miserable as myself. Of course, the downside of that is that I will be the last one done. Nice guys really do finish last, I guess. Especially in WoW. The only reason I got done so fast is probably due to knowing the game so well, dungeon runs, and being lucky enough to get a quest done without competition. I feel sorry for any newbie trying to do this on their own.

I guess I got spoiled by GW2, where you don't dread seeing another player around. I like that with the WoW daily quests at the end, you can share kills with the exclamation point mobs, and even loot, even across factions. I'd like very much to see more of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    Because I like running 5-man groups and occasionally raids. Which I can't do in single player RPGs. Thing is, this is when a group of people cooperate to complete a goal, on our terms and time. Not trying to see who can spam their AoE moves the fastest to tag enemies or jump to clickies and emote /lol or /rude at you while you're trying to quest, or standing by while you struggle with enemies just to see if you'll die.

And I've done 1 to 85 tons of times already. When WoW is marketed as "The real game starts at end-level", why should I have to suffer through old obsolete content? I didn't buy Pandaria just for the fun of BC-Wrath-Cat content all over again.

except this feature was in the beta, not PTR. Beta wasn't public. It had a very sizable playerbase across 2 servers. One pvp server, 1 pve server. They got so full in the starting areas it wasn't even funny. And a ton of people informed Blizzard early on in the beta (Again, not a PTR), of these issues. And the beta ended and the expansion shipped with the bugs in place. So again, one has to ask. How did it make it off of the beta, through QA and implemented live?
    Ah yes, it was the beta. Derp.

And as you said yourself, 2 servers. There's no way in hell that can be compared to the 100+ realms that can be combined in a region on live. And populating 100+ realms on a beta is just a logistical nightmare waiting to happen.

And about the starting areas, they were scaled down vastly from beta to live. For the pandaren starting area, they even went as far as to disable CRZ completely. When I levelled my monk out of there a month ago, there was one other guy in the zone, from my own server no less.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    A MMORPG is an RPG, and not every MMORPG forces players of the same faction to compete over resources.

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    Then why don't you go play that instead if it's so much better?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Then why don't you go play that instead if it's so much better?
    I don't bet on one horse; I play a wide array of games. I compare features, study trends, discuss games. Its a hobby. I'm not attached to any one game in particular.

Moreover, I'd never suggest to anyone to shut up and go play another game just because of one feature. I'm not fond of using such fallacies.

...were you playing WoW before CRZ and still considered it an MMORPG?

Deleted
    I dont play wow anymore, but I started playing end of TBC. I learnt the hard way to watch my back out in the world, especially tarren mill area where alliance players were higher levels. And sure, I had to watch my back and sometimes got stuck to ninja away from people ganking me. But the world felt so much alive! Not long after, all worlds except northrend (reached max level once wotlk hit) were pretty much empty. Not many people leveling up, and I guess there's still just a few doing it. Also, you can level without leaving the cities through dungeon finder and random battlegrounds.
    I dont know how this actually is working in reality, but I cant see why some ganking would be so horrible? Sure, I understand some people rolled on pvp servers because you were pretty much as safe as on a pve server... hardly any difference. With more people on pvp servers war will happen, and it scares pve players and they realise they either didnt know or just expected their rolling on pvp server to be without instanced pvp or they just didnt know what pvp server meant when rolling on it. But other players shouldnt have to pay for their mistakes, some people roll on pvp servers for the sake of them being pvp servers, and it should be up to the pvp afraid people to swap servers if they aren't happy with business. As simple as that.

---------- Post added 2013-01-24 at 12:56 AM ----------

Because I like running 5-man groups and occasionally raids. Which I can't do in single player RPGs. Thing is, this is when a group of people cooperate to complete a goal, on our terms and time. Not trying to see who can spam their AoE moves the fastest to tag enemies or jump to clickies and emote /lol or /rude at you while you're trying to quest, or standing by while you struggle with enemies just to see if you'll die.

And I've done 1 to 85 tons of times already. When WoW is marketed as "The real game starts at end-level", why should I have to suffer through old obsolete content? I didn't buy Pandaria just for the fun of BC-Wrath-Cat content all over again.
    As far as I understand you can do dungeons and raids and all that without having to leave the city, I dont understand what shared server zones has to do with that. A lot of people choose to level inside cities as well.