Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    ...what?

Name one other time in history where population growth was explosive and many jobs were being automated and stopped requiring human labour. Or at very least cut human labour requirement significantly.
    There are a few times that people will point to when an invention or two caused a slight shift in what humans are used to do. Replacing 50% of the population with robots is something else entirely, and people will keep talking about the Luddite Fallacy, because what has not yet happened clearly cannot happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Yeah, that's not going to happen. Why would half the population work then? No incentive.
    Intrinsic motivation.
    I like sandwiches

so some quotes from the article whihc backs up what i been saying

"midpay jobs that require tasks that follow well-defined procedures and are repeated throughout the day. - "found these kinds of jobs comprise fewer than half of all jobs, yet accounted for nine of 10 of all losses in the Great Recession. And they have kept disappearing in the economic recovery"

"The most vulnerable workers are doing repetitive tasks that programmers can write software for - an accountant checking a list of numbers, an office manager filing forms, a paralegal reviewing documents for key words to help in a case. "

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    ...what?

Name one other time in history where population growth was explosive and many jobs were being automated and stopped requiring human labour. Or at very least cut human labour requirement significantly.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite

In the industrial revolution (19th century) thousands of workers feared they were to loose their jobs at textiles and what-not when the Industrial Revolution and Steam-powered machinery happened. They were dubbed "luddites".

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Resources regulated via computers - no presiding ruling government needed.
    Yeah, computers don't decide anything. They're programmed by humans.

---------- Post added 2013-01-23 at 10:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Intrinsic motivation.
    Yeah, the absence of such motivation is why communism never works. Humans will only do just enough to get by barring any sort of reward.

Yeah, that's not going to happen. Why would half the population work then? No incentive.
    Thomas Edison wasn't motivated by money to create the light bulb

The Wright Brothers weren't motivated by money to create the airplane.

There are millions of millionaires out there who can retire right now - but choose not to, and in fact still work 18+ hour days.

Even if some people got everything and became lazy... they'll get so bored from sitting on their butt that they'll START trying crazy new things - and THAT'S how innovation and evolution happens! ^_^

How many electricians and airline employees are?

10+ Year Old Account
    Further your education. One day, we will have no need for human blue collar workers.

Are you sure about that?

There are millions of millionaires out there who can retire right now - but choose not to, and in fact still work 18+ hour days.
    That may be true, but only a small fraction of them are working as hard as they did when they earned those millions. Just because you're working doesn't mean you're driving innovation forward.

Yeah, the absence of such motivation is why communism never works. Humans will only do just enough to get by barring any sort of reward.
    That's just your upbringing teaching you the wrong lessons. If you look at history and the inventors around you, you will understand.

Think the guy who created Facebook was expecting to get kajillions of dollars? Do you really thing Boboulle here was expecting MMO-Champ to take off and make him money? What drove them? An idea to create something new from a passionate idea...

How much does Wikipedia make? How much did the creators of Bittorrent make? Were those profit-motivated ideas?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kNite View Post
    so some quotes from the article whihc backs up what i been saying

"midpay jobs that require tasks that follow well-defined procedures and are repeated throughout the day. - "found these kinds of jobs comprise fewer than half of all jobs, yet accounted for nine of 10 of all losses in the Great Recession. And they have kept disappearing in the economic recovery"

"The most vulnerable workers are doing repetitive tasks that programmers can write software for - an accountant checking a list of numbers, an office manager filing forms, a paralegal reviewing documents for key words to help in a case. "
    Nobody disagreeing with you. I would personally hate many of those jobs, but they are jobs none the less. Some people actually enjoy that repetitive shit. My mom is an accountant and she likes her job, as monotonous as it is.
    I like sandwiches

Yeah, computers don't decide anything. They're programmed by humans.
    Sure, and once setup and programed to be fair and distribute resources to make sure everyone gets what they need, then distributing luxuries when they are available, it requires no more intervention by humans, beyond asking for what you want.
    Communism doesn't work because of jealousy and greed. If you are programming because you enjoy it, researching because you want to learn, or inventing because you want to see what you can do, jealousy and greed isn't a part of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a computer engineer I read that as jobs are being created nps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    Further your education. One day, we will have no need for human blue collar workers.
    In the matrix.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Communism doesn't work because of jealousy and greed. If you are programming because you enjoy it, researching because you want to learn, or inventing because you want to see what you can do, jealousy and greed isn't a part of it.
    A person who programs for employment has much higher productivity and is more focused than a person who programs for enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    A person who programs for employment has much higher productivity and is more focused than a person who programs for enjoyment.
    Utterly the other way around. A person who is programming because it is their job will do just enough to get by. A person who does it because they want to will go above and beyond that level every single time.

Are you sure about that?
    Yes. Thomas Edison was just monkeying around with electricity passing through wires and saw an interesting effect with Hydrogen. The idea came from "hey, I wonder if..." not "hey... how much can I make if I invent..."

Same with the Wright Brothers. They simply liked building things in their garrage.

Hell man, some of the simplest and largest things came from individuals doing things out of the ordinary to try things different. Even Garlic becoming a staple of culinary cuisine was due to a group of ladies inside of an out of the way gettaway cottage where they vacationed every few months, and their rule was simple: Break every rule they can think of since they were by themselves... cooking with garlic was never heard of, and that's how it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Sure, and once setup and programed to be fair and distribute resources to make sure everyone gets what they need, then distributing luxuries when they are available, it requires no more intervention by humans, beyond asking for what you want.
    I speak this as a software engineer; maintenance is the largest part of any project. There's no such thing as "no more intervention".

Ummmm... complete bullshit.

The best programmers I know do it because it's what they love. The ones you AVOID are the ones who do it for money... they'll sell you out faster and skimp on work because they don't love it.

Quote Originally Posted by kNite View Post
    I said in the post that you quoted "unless they have a learning disbility" - and that is a completely different issue. I am referring to all the lazy bastards who decide they cant be bothered to study and then bitch and moan when they cant find a job.
    You sound like you have had no experience in the real world, or have and are so short-sighted that you don't give anyone any room for error, except yourself.