Computer crashes with some games

A friend of mine has been having trouble with his computer crashing when he launches specific games. The two that I know of off the top of my head are Space Marine and Transformers: Fall of Cybertron. I initially thought that the problem would be his graphics card, but he swapped in a different one and the same games still crashed his computer. So I had him run a memtest, and that came back clean. Pretty sure it's not a temperature issue, as it's only specific games that cause the computer to shut down, and it happens instantly. LoL, WoW, SC2 all run fine. The issue also persists over a fresh Windows install (when he got his SSD), and that included all of the latest drivers. So I'm not sure what the issue is now.

Relevant details:

AMD FX-4100 processor @ stock speeds
    Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850
    4gbs RAM
    500gb HDD
    120gb OCZ Vertex 4
    650W PSU (Pretty sure it's a Corsair)

Any ideas would be much appreciated. XD

10+ Year Old Account
    if it's specific games, then it's a problem with the games, look for updates or patches, otherwise get better games

10+ Year Old Account
    Are the games installed? And not just copied over from a harddrive to another?

Black Ops 2 had the same issue with me.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    if it's specific games, then it's a problem with the games, look for updates or patches, otherwise get better games
    They're from Steam, so he should be up to date. I believe that almost all games he gets by THQ have this issue (in addition to Transformers).

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Are the games installed? And not just copied over from a harddrive to another?

Black Ops 2 had the same issue with me.
    They're installed, fresh with his Windows reinstall when he got an SSD, via Steam.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shaw0050 View Post
    They're from Steam, so he should be up to date. I believe that almost all games he gets by THQ have this issue (in addition to Transformers).

They're installed, fresh with his Windows reinstall when he got an SSD, via Steam.
    simply being on steam doesn't mean they will work, i have several games that don't run at all

10+ Year Old Account
    Try running the games in a windowed mode, see what happens.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Had him try running one of the affected games in windowed mode, per inux94's suggestion, but his computer still shut down. It was Saints Row The Third this time.

---------- Post added 2013-01-24 at 04:07 PM ----------

Anyone else have an idea as to what the issue could be?
    Last edited by shaw0050; 2013-01-24 at 09:06 PM.

First of all, sorry for bumbing this topic but this is the first topic with a (seeming) similair problem to mine.

I have a pretty similair PC (bottom of post, nothing overclocked). Also having problems with some specific games (Borderlands 2 and BO2).

Do you/your friend have found any solutions or found the problem yet?

And for everyone saying it's a heat problem, I guess not, because its unreallistic that it could simpely overheat itself in less than 5 seconds. And besides that, I runned havier things than those games without any problems.

When I was searching for the problem I noticed that taskmanager crashed when starting the game, and 5 seconds later my computer totally freezed and rebooted automatic after another 5 seconds.

So I hope you have found a solution (or that someone else has a solution for me).

Greetz, addono.

PC:
    CPU:AMD FX-4170 Black Edition
    GPU:Sapphire HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-e
    Motherbord:Asrock 870 Extreme3 R2.0
    RAM:2x4Gb
    PSU:be quiet! Pure Power L8 430W
    SSD:Samsung 830 64Gb
    HDD:Western Digital Blue 1TB