Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

In-Game GMs, Where Did They Go?

I miss in game GMs, they made you feel like you had a guardian watching over you. On rare occasions they would show themselves in faction cities, usually doing funny stuff like turning all players around him/her into animals and other creatures. On even rarer occasions, they spoke in general or trade, just to prove that GMs are real or to warn a racist spammer that if they don't stop, they will get banned...

But most important of all... HACKERS, BOTTERS, EXPLOITERS, SPAMMERS, AND RACISTS WERE BANNED!

So... does anyone know what happened to them? It seems they have disappeared, as have the bans for the bad players I stated above.

Don't even try to defend Blizz this time, the whole "Pyramid" idea and "Ban Waves" do not work.

Hi all! I thought I might just chime in here. I'm not at liberty to go into the full reveal of everything that happens behind the scenes, but I think I can risk a bit of transparency here. Game Masters are still here (there), but our typical approach is not to interfere with the doings of the players, visibly in-game. I know that this is a bit of a departure from how things were a long while back, but it's an approach that was adopted many years ago. Every so often a report may pop up that a player had seen a Game Master, and although it's certainly possible for us to do so - in practice we had found that it became too much of a spectacle. It wasn't necessarily a bad thing, and oftentimes it could be fun - but in the grand scheme of things, we needed to focus on other ways of helping people than to drop in and hang out.

So think of us like the silent guardians of Azeroth. We're there, trust me If you ever need us, just drop us a line and we'll always do our best to help!

/Araxom

They were banned because they were reported, not because the GM appeared in front of me on Qual'danas to restore the item I accidentally DEd.

I haven't seen any evidence that the penalty volcano, which is as old as WoW is, and ban waves don't work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    I think the rules changed sometime around TBC and the GM's had to format themselves into "No Fun" mode, ie no more costumes / city fights ect. I mean fuck, they dont even give you back lost gear anymore, they are just the typical customer help desk folk. Instead of actual Game Masters.
    There's a web form now for lost gear, if yo need to use it more then once every 30 days, you are trying to game the system in some way for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the rules changed sometime around TBC and the GM's had to format themselves into "No Fun" mode, ie no more costumes
    Nope, during wotlk a GM helped me while i was stuck. He showed up as a green whelpling, and turned me into a pirate ^_^
    They're rare yes

---------- Post added 2013-01-24 at 07:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Araxom View Post
    Hi all! I thought I might just chime in here. I'm not at liberty to go into the full reveal of everything that happens behind the scenes, but I think I can risk a bit of transparency here. Game Masters are still here (there), but our typical approach is not to interfere with the doings of the players, visibly in-game. I know that this is a bit of a departure from how things were a long while back, but it's an approach that was adopted many years ago. Every so often a report may pop up that a player had seen a Game Master, and although it's certainly possible for us to do so - in practice we had found that it became too much of a spectacle. It wasn't necessarily a bad thing, and oftentimes it could be fun - but in the grand scheme of things, we needed to focus on other ways of helping people than to drop in and hang out.

So think of us like the silent guardians of Azeroth. We're there, trust me If you ever need us, just drop us a line and we'll always do our best to help!

/Araxom
    Are you even real? :P
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Quote Originally Posted by Huntaer View Post
    Nope, during wotlk a GM helped me while i was stuck. He showed up as a green whelpling, and turned me into a pirate ^_^
    They're rare yes

He's real.
    You must become a Master Baiter if you want to want to master the One-eyed Fish of the Dark Caverns!

10+ Year Old Account
    They're rare yes

Hes the real deal, you just get the Blizzard title for nothing.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Deleted
    Look on bright side: everything is now more efficient.

You can restore lost gear, trade looted items, report players (though I'm starting to think reporting is pointless - I see same bots months after reporting them).

Deleted
    I remember back in vanilla when I still had the noob edge even at 60, had to contact GM because I was stuck.
    They came to my aid then realised I'd wall jumped into old hyjal and got stuck on a tree...and I'd left HS in bank (I had bag issues back then) boy did I get a lecture lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Araxom is real.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Why did you have to bring racism up? I mean i hate it when people over react and call you a racist for everything. Botters are a real problem, i hate it when i start a bg and 6/10 on my team are bots.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Araxom is real.
    thats awesome ^_^, never seen him before
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Deleted
    My old raid group once had an issue during FL, where we'd bugged out Alysrazor in such a way that she was engaged doing her AoE damage from the intermission while the trash was up - and she never resat. You basically got 1-shot if you went in there because you were in combat as soon as you zoned in. The GM we were in contact with actually zoned into the instance with us and joined our raid group. I remember him joining the raid group at 60 (I think it was) and dinging instantly to 85 shortly after. Was good fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    They tell funny jokes about gnomes... No really, if you ever talk to one ask them a joke from the book of GM jokes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    I see same bots months after reporting them).
    Ya know, ppl are not always AFK botting and programs have become pretty clever these days even going as far as responding to GM's.

Deleted
    i bet it was ghost crawler who stopped GMs popping in now n again, fekkin spoil sport as he is ;p. i used to see the odd GM ere n there, mostly in dala id see one or in ICC i seen GM a couple times spying .. but havent seen any since ICC days
    bring back the GMs i say ;p surely they can have 10 mins at lunch time or wotever to show up n have some lols

I think the rules changed sometime around TBC and the GM's had to format themselves into "No Fun" mode, ie no more costumes / city fights ect. I mean fuck, they dont even give you back lost gear anymore, they are just the typical customer help desk folk. Instead of actual Game Masters.
    Why would you expect them to give you your lost gear when there's a perfectly good tool that does that for you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, a GM posted in my thread! I feel so special!

I miss in old days in EQ you use to see a GM around once in a while (unless you tried the legends server that was a blast) but it was nice to see them out in the community once in a while and not just behind the scenes.