Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

[Movies] J.J. Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII

It appears that the search for a director to take on Disney and LucasFilm's Star Wars: Episode VII has finally come to an end, and while the likes of Jon Favreau and Matthew Vaughn were heavily rumored to be taking a stab at the legendary sci-fi franchise, it turns out that an unexpected helmer has landed the job. According to The Wrap, J.J. Abrams (Star Trek, Super 8) has signed on to direct Star Wars VII, which is targeting a 2015 release.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/...rs-episode-vii
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=73178
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...rs-episode-vii

I am okay with this.

Just hopefully Disney lets him work and doesn't overly interfere.

I'm not sure about this yet. I was a fan of JJ Abrams, but lately, everything just feels like typical JJ Abrams. Lost, Once Upon a Time, Alcatraz, Following, etc... and so on, and while all might not be him, or others that aren't like him, it's all derivative of him and it's getting old, IMO.

But at the same time, I'm at least excited that it won't be a kids show.

Some people hated the way he revamped Star Trek, but I personally enjoyed it a lot. People either love him or hate him, but he can't do any worse than Lucas (incredibly overrated btw) did.

I just hope that we get more, much more Jar Jar Binks material. I really felt like they left that storyline unfinished. It would be great if the new main Jedi character was a Gungan. Can you imagine how cool a J.J. Abrams Gungan would be? Lucas really messed up on his imaginings of the gungans, but Abrams will get it totally right. How can you go wrong with a hairless rasta space donkey?

Deleted
    i love J.J can't wait to see how he will make the next star wars, i liked the start trek he made along with Fringe and super 8. So i got my hopes up :P

do the big star trek versus star wars debates still happen alot? would be kind of cool to see those happen more often again O-O of course neither is anywhere near as good as who so let the stars squabble in their petty wars while the children of gallifrey spectacle at their strange games @_@
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    May the lens flare be with you. Always.

I think Abrams made some incredible work with Star Trek, i'm no fan of the series but enjoyed the reboot, plus his work on Fringe was terrific IMO (Lost doesn't count, he left after season 2)

But what is really amazing is that he's now in control of both Star Trek and Star Wars, the 2 most powerful franchises in sci-fi.

It could be a hell of a lot worse...this may actually be good

Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    I just hope that we get more, much more Jar Jar Binks material. I really felt like they left that storyline unfinished. It would be great if the new main Jedi character was a Gungan. Can you imagine how cool a J.J. Abrams Gungan would be? Lucas really messed up on his imaginings of the gungans, but Abrams will get it totally right. How can you go wrong with a hairless rasta space donkey?
    Good god, this would spell the absolute end of everything I as a human, and Starwars fan have stood for. This would be worse than the starwars dance party

Quote Originally Posted by Xalzel View Post
    Good god, this would spell the absolute end of everything I as a human, and Starwars fan have stood for. This would be worse than the starwars dance party
    For me that's not an option. Can't say it with more clarity. Me going legit would be like Jar-Jar on speech therapy.
    Your comments are duly noted and ignored.
    I punch a hobo every time someone says 'it's not a rotation it's a priority list lol'.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm fairly confident that he will pull this off. He undoubtedly respects the content and will do his best to do it justice. I'm actually more interested who the writers for the film will be.

Great. An author of a few "meh" movies is going to direct new Star Wars movie.

For those who never learned to enjoy the Phanthom Menace, guess it's time. It had Liam Neeson, after all!

Deleted
    Great choice. He did a brilliant job on Star Trek and Im a massive fan of Lost, he's also one of the nicest guys in the business and a massive nerd :P Im pleased he got the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    Oh god, please be sarcasm, please be sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by whathump View Post
    Oh god, please be sarcasm, please be sarcasm
    Well, I guess a living racist joke that doomed the galaxy could even get his own movie, he is such a material

Deleted
    This makes me excited for Episode VII! I pretty much love everything that he does. yaaay!

15+ Year Old Account
    Eh I here some good things about him but I am not sure he is not that much experienced as a director. Though that might be what star wars needs, a new outtake or look at it in a different view, well see I guess.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    BLAH, should have been Joss Whedon.

then we could have had Nathan Fillion as the older Han Solo and all would have been right with the world.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30