Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    oh, i didnt know they said that about ranged attacks, is that for magic as well? so i dont just have to randomly fire into the crowd and hope i hit something. i was a bit worried as i plan to play a ranged class, and it wouldnt be much fun trying to hit people with the bow.
    I would hope they keep it optionable in that case. Say you want to take a shot at a random location, you hold M1 and fire - simple as that. But if you're a terrible aim or feel like a more controlled combat pace, you lock onto a target and fire but without losing the option to just shoot randomly at any location.

Honestly, I can see why ranged combat could need some assistance during MMO combat, but I would be sad if that would end up denying us the freedom to just fire volleys into a mass of enemies =)

I'm sure they'll figure it out though.

Off-Topic: Post 1000! xD
    Last edited by mmoc1f48e0f23e; 2013-01-26 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wynterlyn View Post
    Well even that makes sense compared to what was marked in the map. I think people are simply jumping to conclusions. I do know that they are going to lock certain areas in the region, but not entire regions like specified.
    They aren't locking all of Black Marsh, since we know that Stormhold in the Shadowfen region will be available, which is what the above map shows. Same with Elsweyr, only the NW corner of Anequina will be available. Oh, and an island off the south coast.

They really shouldn't put training wheels on ranged classes.
    If the combat isn't intuitive enough that aiming is possible / easy then that should be addressed but to wow clone tab targeting would be a mistake.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    If the combat isn't intuitive enough that aiming is possible / easy then that should be addressed but to wow clone tab targeting would be a mistake.
    I have to agree. If you have TES melee combat, then you also need TES ranged and magic combat. Auto lock and tab targeting is the complete opposite of TES combat.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    I have to agree. If you have TES melee combat, then you also need TES ranged and magic combat. Auto lock and tab targeting is the complete opposite of TES combat.

the reason for it is because of latency it would be pretty hard to hit a moving target with a bow, in pve it wouldn't be too much of an issue, but in pvp ranged classes would just get destroyed by melee , there would need to be some kind of assist. espeically if firing a bow is as slow as it is in skyrim.

but i do agree really, im just a bit worried ranged combat will end up sucking and being inferior to melee because hitting a moving target will be near impossible.

the reason for it is because of latency it would be pretty hard to hit a moving target with a bow, in pve it wouldn't be too much of an issue, but in pvp ranged classes would just get destroyed by melee , there would need to be some kind of assist. espeically if firing a bow is as slow as it is in skyrim.

but i do agree really, im just a bit worried ranged combat will end up sucking and being inferior to melee because hitting a moving target will be near impossible.
    If a tiny company like redfive can do it, so can bethesda.

Then they shouldn't advertise the game being built around PvP with hundreds of players on screen.

There isn't an excuse for some half reticule/ half tab targeting bull shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    The way I understood it from what I read was that it was pretty much free aim with a slight amount of auto lock on attacks, in essence you have to aim at someone manually but then once the shot is fired it will go to that target. Would mean you can freely fire any ranged attack at any location giving ground target AoE's etc a tactical use. That was just my impression, could very well be wrong .

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    The way I understood it from what I read was that it was pretty much free aim with a slight amount of auto lock on attacks, in essence you have to aim at someone manually but then once the shot is fired it will go to that target. Means you can freely fire any ranged attack at any location giving ground target AoE's etc a tactical use. That was just my impression, could very well be wrong .
    Then it becomes the secret world recticule combat which ended up being shit.

Pray to god they don't do this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Then it becomes the secret world recticule combat which ended up being shit.

Pray to god they don't do this.
    Without attacks following a target once fired you would have to lead your targets in PvP etc which would immediately turn off a large portion of people interested in playing ranged. Not saying I disagree with you or that the true TES system wouldn't be better, but I can imagine what it would be like trying to play a physical ranged character with no aim assists at all while people zig-zag at you with speed buffs etc.

*edit* And with PvP being a big focus you have to expect atleast some gameplay alterations to account for the addition of fighting actual players.
    Last edited by Nirawen; 2013-01-26 at 04:27 PM.

Without attacks following a target once fired you would have to lead your targets in PvP etc which would immediately turn off a large portion of people interested in playing ranged. Not saying I disagree with you or that the true TES system wouldn't be better, but I can imagine what it would be like trying to play a physical ranged character with no aim assists at all while people zig-zag at you with speed buffs etc.

*edit* And with PvP being a big focus you have to expect atleast some gameplay alterations to account for the addition of fighting actual players.
    This assuming movement is flawless and everyone moves as fast a a cheetah. Full TES system can work depending on character flow.

Deleted
    Intigruing.... but highly disturbing.

You act as if FPS online games aren't the biggest things in the world.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Oh god. Aim assist.

I would rather they just give people larger hit boxes or something.

My personal experience with aim assist have been god damn awful. Trying to shoot someone 30 yards away but there's someone 15 yards away but 5 degrees to the left? Target assist will choose to ignore who you are aiming at and hit the closer guy. In a game that will have a trinity I don't want tanks having target assist helping them play goalie for healers. Let my people aim. /arpgmmo moses

Its not a WoW clone to implement tab targeting. Alot of games have tab targeting. The reason its hard to have an aim mechanic is because the game isnt designed with that system in mind like TERA was. Even GW2 which has action combat doesnt have an aiming system but has smart targeting based on what direction the center of your screen is pointing, and tab targeting. THe reason Aiming works in the other elderscrolls games is that AI movements are predictible and mobs stand still. Humans dont do either, They arent going to let you shoot at them, they are gonna zig and zag and get behind you. Try fighting mobs in skyrim that constantly want to circle behind you so you cant shoot them.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    You act as if FPS online games aren't the biggest things in the world.
    FPS's are different. Bullets fly faster than arrows. Its like someone shooting a rocket from a distance and you running for cover. You would have to lead with the rocket and also not have that person see you shoot it. The only thing you can compare a working aiming system is TERA to my knowlege. But that doesnt have first person view even those ESO you can scroll out to 3rd, It also is designed so that ranged classes can get out of melee range and CC. In what Elderscrolls game do you see quick paced movements. Just look how those characters run in the trailers.

Im an ES fan played 3-5 but im enough of a realist to know that ranged would be screwed in PvP. Just look at that chivalry game that has first person combat. Doesnt look to fun to play a ranged class when melee get on you.
    Last edited by Zeek Daniels; 2013-01-26 at 04:44 PM.

Pretty much lost interest with the whole ranged attack system.

Deleted
    The way I understood it from what I read was that it was pretty much free aim with a slight amount of auto lock on attacks, in essence you have to aim at someone manually but then once the shot is fired it will go to that target. Would mean you can freely fire any ranged attack at any location giving ground target AoE's etc a tactical use. That was just my impression, could very well be wrong .
    I don't think that's all too bad an idea. I would, in that case, just suggest toning it down ALOT. For a shot to actualy 'follow' the target and hit, your aim has to have been SPOT on when fired, not just NEAR it. It'll help combat latency issues atleast which is probably gonna be a major problem for alot of players (Fortunately one of the concerns I don't share, but can sympathize with).

But we'll see in the Betas how things turns out. No reason getting too worked up about it yet either way IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Pretty much lost interest with the whole ranged attack system.
    How about u play with the skyrim attack system and ill play with a tab target auto lock system and we will see who kills who.

10+ Year Old Account

/point Tera.
    Surprisingly range isn't so bad in Tera for both DPS and PvP.

They should be improving on ARPGs like tera.
    Not devolving into tab targeting.

Tab targeting is to action combat as final fantasy 1 (turn based) is to zelda ocarina of time.

It's time for MMOs to evolve.