Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Haste Build---please evaluate and give feedback

I joined a new guild last week, and we downed 5 heroic bosses. I'm probably the worst geared player in the raid, but I see that arcane is rated as the highest DPSer in the game right now.....yet I was always coming in near the bottom in DPS. So, this week I wanted to try the haste build and see if that worked better for dishing out more DPS. Would you mind evaluating my spec and giving me your feedback please? Also, is there a soft haste cap for mages where it becomes better to reforge into more mastery and less haste? With frost armor I currently sit at 29.58% haste not counting raid buffs.

Here is my armory

Deleted
    If there are any soft haste caps they will be at NT points, check the spreadsheet in the Fire sticky for exact numbers.

Beyond that the soft cap probably is where Arcane Blast with all cooldowns becomes 1 second cast, but I have no clue what that is

My arcane blast without raid buffs is 1.54 seconds, and my evocate is 4.63 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by HeatM1ser View Post
    My arcane blast without raid buffs is 1.54 seconds, and my evocate is 4.63 seconds
    the whole "without raid buffs" part is rather important. Just go do an lfr and see what your levels are. you should balance yourself around having 8/8 raid buffs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ive found that arcane maging can be top or bottom and usually its based on uptimes on a few things. Me being mastey + RoP its NT uptime and RoP uptime. Everything else assuming you are doing it correctly pales to comparison when you can get these over 90%

Quote Originally Posted by royals View Post
    Ive found that arcane maging can be top or bottom and usually its based on uptimes on a few things. Me being mastey + RoP its NT uptime and RoP uptime. Everything else assuming you are doing it correctly pales to comparison when you can get these over 90%
    Thats why I wanted to try the haste spec....my uptimes arent as good ass I'd like them to be. Are there any addons that you use that are helpful for maintaining uptimes better with NT?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the first thing I noticed was your weapon isn't great. Casters rely heavily on the huge amount of spellpower and stats on our weapon and if others in your raid team have 496 weapons this could explain why your dps seems low.

I suggest you try and get a 496 loshan or jin'ya asap (loshan is better).

Quote Originally Posted by Buhrag View Post
    the whole "without raid buffs" part is rather important. Just go do an lfr and see what your levels are. you should balance yourself around having 8/8 raid buffs.
    Its much quicker to do the math especially as a dps this far into the week.

1.2958*1.05=1.3605. So thats 36.05% haste raid buffed.

Like namliam said earlier this spreadsheet from the fire sticky is really good:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...ZmFYa0E#gid=39

Your just short of the next nether tempest tick at 37.46% haste but it really doesn't matter. If your playing a haste build just keep stacking haste.

A 1 second cast of arcane blast requires 100% haste and is not achievable in current gear so you can just ignore it.

Thats why I wanted to try the haste spec....my uptimes arent as good ass I'd like them to be. Are there any addons that you use that are helpful for maintaining uptimes better with NT?
    There really no point of tracking NT with an addon unless you can't see it any other way. With some practice you'll get used to it. You end up just knowing when it has a second or two left and it becomes a lot easier.
    MB: Asus Maximus V Extreme CPU: 3770k@4.5Ghz custom water loop GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 RAM: Corsair 4x4GB 1600Mhz 7-8-8-24
    SSD: Samsung 830 256GB PSU: Corsair AX850 CASE: Corsair 800D
    Armory

Deleted
    Hey,

My gear is a little bit worse than yours, so we should be able to relate.

- you seem to be able to use living bomb on almost every encounter, single target or not, can we know why LB ?
    - you are using Mage Armor, if you go with the Haste Build, you should use Frost Armor.
    - You are missing a engineering enchant on your back, I'm not 100% sure but its better than the one you have now. Also rocket boots are neat, even in PvE.
    - I think AP glyph is a dps loss on almost every combat, you should try without it.
    - You are 1% short of being hit capped

Also, your pre-combat seems weird. Maybe im missing something, but why do you cast scorch first ? http://worldoflogs.com/reports/pkin6...?s=3318&e=3800 ). And then, you cast RoP ?!?
    Did you eat a tornado right at the start ?

Can we know what is your usual rotation (and AT rotation), and how and when you use scorch ?

There's only one log from you I can find, and since I don't know every heroic encounter, its hard to analyze with so little data.

Hope it'll help
    Last edited by mmoc70ab634a7b; 2013-01-26 at 10:29 AM.

Deleted
    1% short of hit cap - He is Draenei, so yeah

You can use an addon like Weak Aura's or Combustion helper or pick one of the others to track your mage bombs.
    On 1:1 in a single target fight, NT > LB

Quote Originally Posted by Eihwaz View Post
    Hey,

My gear is a little bit worse than yours, so we should be able to relate.

- you seem to be able to use living bomb on almost every encounter, single target or not, can we know why LB ?
    - you are using Mage Armor, if you go with the Haste Build, you should use Frost Armor.
    - You are missing a engineering enchant on your back, I'm not 100% sure but its better than the one you have now. Also rocket boots are neat, even in PvE.
    - I think AP glyph is a dps loss on almost every combat, you should try without it.
    - You are 1% short of being hit capped

Also, your pre-combat seems weird. Maybe im missing something, but why do you cast scorch first ? http://worldoflogs.com/reports/pkin6...?s=3318&e=3800 ). And then, you cast RoP ?!?
    Did you eat a tornado right at the start ?
    1- I have been experimenting with NT, LB and FB to see which yielded the highest DPS. It looks like NT from just last weeks logs except for Wind Lord fight.

2-In those logs I was a mastery mage

3- The engineering back tinker is the same as slowfall, so its not needed, and the belt tinker only absorbs 18k, so I figured it wasnt worth it

4- Can anyone confirm whether glyphing for AP is a DPS loss or increase? I glyphed for ti to line it up with AT, but can choose a different glyph if its a DPS loss

5- Oh, I casted scorch because we had set standing places for our strat, and mine was behind a pillar at the end of the hall, so I would put up my mage bomb and scorch until I got to my RoP

6-Im draenei, so I'm not 1% hit capped short

I'll get back to you on the rest

Here are the logs I've kept. I joined the guild and raided with them for the first time on January 20th, so pay special attention to logs from that date one.

Thanks for all the feedback!
    Last edited by HeatM1ser; 2013-01-26 at 07:19 PM.

Deleted
    - The engineering back tinker is the same as slowfall, so its not needed, and the belt tinker only absorbs 18k, so I figured it wasnt worth it
    You can choose the "rocket boots" belt tinker, its cooldown is 3 minutes and it usefull go get back as fast as you can on your RoP and/or not loosing stacks, it saved me a lot of times, you should try ^^.

[B]4- Can anyone confirm whether glyphing for AP is a DPS loss or increase? I glyphed for ti to line it up with AT, but can choose a different glyph if its a DPS loss
    Glyph of AP is NOT a dps loss considering you can line it up with every Alter Time.

Alright...I've put the rocket boots on my belt. I've always been afraid to use that tinker because I thought there was a chance it could kill you!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sinmarshall View Post
    Glyph of AP is NOT a dps loss considering you can line it up with every Alter Time.
    You can do it everytime unglyphed too.
    Please provide a minimum of data when you're saying something as a final truth...

An AP Glyph topic I found : http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...f-Arcane-Power

I can't find the one where someone provided data and argument saying it was pretty situational and not a real dps gain at all.
    Well just have to wait and see )

Alright...I've put the rocket boots on my belt. I've always been afraid to use that tinker because I thought there was a chance it could kill you!
    It never could kill you, well, not as a mage cause you could slowfall when coming down. Now, when it fails, you get a dot debuff ticking for 40/50k 3 or 4 times, it hurts, but it happens maybe 1 on 50 times. ^^
    Last edited by mmoc70ab634a7b; 2013-01-26 at 07:29 PM.

ok...then the rocket boots would be a big help...thanks for correcting me on my misunderstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by Eihwaz View Post
    Please provide a minimum of data when you're saying something as a final truth...
    Final truth? My response was only stating the obvious. Please calm it down.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sinmarshall View Post
    Final truth? My response was only stating the obvious. Please calm it down.
    It's not obvious at all which is better between glyphed or unglyphed AP, in fact, you rarely see anyone with glyphed AP. I've tried it myself, and didnt get any significant results going in favor of glyphed or not.

I like the flexibility of not glyphing it, and i've seen some posts in favor of not glyphing it.

I guess it comes down to personnal preference, but you just can't bolt in here and stating something as a fact without providing any data at all . If you can provide some, great, that'll help me I too, i'll gain some dps )

My post wasn't supposed to be aggresive at all, english isnt my native language so sometimes i'm not able to convey the right "tone". Sorry ).

---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 10:21 PM ----------

Found another topic talking about AP glyph : http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...phs-for-arcane

Not editing precedent post because someone could miss the new link

Hope it helps

Wouldn't it be best to glyph AP if you know you'll be able to fit AP inside of your raid's bloodlust?

15+ Year Old Account
    Glyphed AP is a waste as haste. You'll burn through your mana and just have to evocate more during bloodlust.
    un-glyped, you can get a nice alignment of your ICDs for a second burst...

Aim for 35% mastery raid buffed.. that seems to be the sweetspot (for my gear level anyways)

But all that haste is regen too. Is it not enough regen to make up for the quick casting? Excuse my lack of knowledge when it comes to hastestacking arcane.