Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

5.2 Unholy viable again?

Was a real shock at the first atempt on 4T set army bonus and thought finally Unholy might come back up.

Now with the new set bonuses though, wot are your thoughts?

Really miss the Unholy playstyle.

UH is viable right now, just overshadowed by frost. come 5.2, it'll be a lot closer between the 2 specs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RedFlame View Post
    UH is viable right now, just overshadowed by frost. come 5.2, it'll be a lot closer between the 2 specs.
    This. The reason most people are frost are fight mechanics and QoL issues that UH has right now.

Define viable.

Unholy is far from unplayable on live, it just doesn't see a lot of use because frost is better in most situations.
    Last edited by Shiira; 2013-01-26 at 12:53 PM.

Deleted
    It'll be close... Unholy's gargoyle will do decent damage and frost (especially 2h) will see a bit of a drop from the current 2pc bonus being nerfed to 4% increased damage from obliterate and frost strike (down from 10%.)

Unholy's not that bad ATM, the changes will just balance it a little more

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vmagik View Post
    It'll be close... Unholy's gargoyle will do decent damage and frost (especially 2h) will see a bit of a drop from the current 2pc bonus being nerfed to 4% increased damage from obliterate and frost strike (down from 10%.)

Unholy's not that bad ATM, the changes will just balance it a little more
    I'm pretty sure the scourge strike portion is being nerfed as well, so it won't just be frost who sees a drop in damage with the T14 2 set. (Blizz only did that to keep us from using 2pc T14 and 2pc T15) As for the changes to unholy, yes they will bring it closer in line with frost (not that it was that far behind to begin with if played properly) with fixes to a few QoL issues.

Losing 2pc t14 is a much bigger blow to frost than unholy.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    It'll actually be competitive now, but I'm assuming DW Frost will edge out above it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Samsarathedk View Post
    I'm pretty sure the scourge strike portion is being nerfed as well, so it won't just be frost who sees a drop in damage with the T14 2 set. (Blizz only did that to keep us from using 2pc T14 and 2pc T15) As for the changes to unholy, yes they will bring it closer in line with frost (not that it was that far behind to begin with if played properly) with fixes to a few QoL issues.
    Scourge strike is being nerfed ofc, but scourge strike's what, 25% of unholy's damage compared to 70% for 2h frost's obliterate and frost strike combined?

Unholy is looking pretty good in 5.2, but as long as DW Frost cleave exists, it will pretty much always be overshadowed by it. Unholy has too many disadvantages in a raid setting compared to DW Frost.

It's viable of course, and shouldn't overly affect anybody not progressing in the world class guilds.

Quote Originally Posted by vmagik View Post
    Scourge strike is being nerfed ofc, but scourge strike's what, 25% of unholy's damage compared to 70% for 2h frost's obliterate and frost strike combined?

I read something recently that showed a sim without tier bonuses applied and it had unholy simming higher. Thus unholy MAY end up being higher than frost.....

It currently is viable and 5.2 only brings buffs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Semani View Post
    Unholy is looking pretty good in 5.2, but as long as DW Frost cleave exists, it will pretty much always be overshadowed by it.
    We think it's borderline. Seems unfair to tell warriors they can't use WW single target but then let DKs do it.
    A blue post upon howling blast. HB is bound to be nerfed.

In another blue post blizzard said that they think howling blast is okay for now, but it's on the list of things they're keeping an eye on.

It could go either way.

They're adding back cleave to paladins through their new T15 bonus. Rather than HB or Rime being directly nerfed/redesigned, it's more likely that paladins and warriors will get some cleave back. WW monks are also getting excellent cleave.

I think it's important to differentiate between masterfrost and hastefrost. Hastefrost is forced to sacrifice significant single-target performance to AE/cleave; masterfrost does not. If I were a dev, I would absolutely kill masterfrost. There's a difference between free cleave damage and having your AE priority look and perform nearly identically to your single-target one.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    They're adding back cleave to paladins through their new T15 bonus.
    Nope they took that away =[

I don't see any buff to unholy in 5.2 except the one to gargoyle. There is a change too with Ebon Plaguebringer applying frost fever but i don't see here a real necessity, i use outbreak and unholy blight to put dots usually and refresh them with festering strike.
    So..only buff is gargoyle one?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jangkun View Post
    I don't see any buff to unholy in 5.2 except the one to gargoyle. There is a change too with Ebon Plaguebringer applying frost fever but i don't see here a real necessity, i use outbreak and unholy blight to put dots usually and refresh them with festering strike.
    The buff to unholy is the fact that it isn't getting screwed on weak tier pieces this time around. As well as other qof changes. The 2 tier piece favors haste for 2h unholy and frost, not so much for dw frost with out all mastery.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unholy wasn't "vaible" until 5.2? No, but really, the changes will just make the gap between Frost and Unholy smaller.

Deleted
    You wont be using unholy blight with the changes. Plague Leech on CD followed by a Plague Strike.
    This means free plague strike every 25-30s depending on your timings, at least when your haste values allow the usage of another GCD.

This with the 2 additional deathcoils every 3minutes and the garg benefitting from mastery should be a nice buff in terms of dps.

You saying this almost makes it sound like you don't play Unholy often. Icy Touch will also now turn into a death rune instead of regenning into a frost, having the use of an attack which does a bit of dmg to apply both dots, right after we PL them off, free gary with shadow dmg, yeah Gary is not the only buff we get.

They are mostly qol changes but they equate out to dps.