Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    You need to tell her that in the real world "drops of substance" don't lower your weight, there are no magical liquids capable of doing so and if there is it's always going to have nasty side affects, only effort yields results and a good diet.
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2013-01-27 at 03:42 AM.

Alright, thanks for your advice everyone. Dropped hints throughout the day and then finally had a big talk to her about it, explained my concerns, the effects it would have on her health, and why the magic potion doesn't work. Drank the whole $150 bottle of water just to prove a point. She was mad at first that I didn't "trust" her judgement, but that was largely born of ignorance (because, lets be honest, they don't actually teach you how homeopathy 'works' in school, and most people selling homeopathic remedies - unless they're the homeopaths themselves - generally don't tell you either.. it's something which you'd have to actually know what it's about). As I explained how homeopathy works, she began to ridicule some of the tenants of it and then eventually realized she'd basically been duped.

I told her we can reduce her calorie intake without starving herself, agreed that I'd be willing to give up a lot of the things I love and eat more healthy food with her - I can always top myself up outside of shared meals if I feel the need. And I committed to going for walks with her every day after work - as Aleros pointed out the easiest way to get someone to exercise is to do it with them. She won't want to walk as far as I do but we can work up to it.

Thanks for the ideas and advice, all.
    Last edited by Janaa; 2013-01-27 at 08:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

Good to hear. Not often you hear about people realizing they've been told a lie.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Janaa View Post
    As I explained how homeopathy works, she began to ridicule some of the tenants of it and then eventually realized she'd basically been duped.
    You know, that's actually pretty nice and refreshing to hear for a change.

Deleted
    Starvation diets are useless and really bad for you. It will work if she has the willpower and work fast even.. but the weight comes right back when she stops. Actually she will gain more weight most likely in the end.

It's much better to calculate your daily calorie need and then lower it by 100-200. It's slow but permanent and also helps to change bad eating habits. It also doesn't require almost any willpower if you do it right

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Starvation diets are useless and really bad for you. It will work if she has the willpower and work fast even.. but the weight comes right back when she stops. Actually she will gain more weight most likely in the end.

It's much better to calculate your daily calorie need and then lower it by 100-200. It's slow but permanent and also helps to change bad eating habits. It also doesn't require almost any willpower if you do it right
    I was going to say nearly the same thing. I'm currently 6 feet and 180 pounds and I need around 1500 calories a day just for involuntary movements, digestion, etc. I would say I am pretty healthy. If your girlfriend is overweight she may need way more than 500 calories just to keep her bodily functions moving. She would literally starve her body and weaken it to a point where it's going to start going after your muscle and fast to burn energy and that isn't a good thing. When she starts back up to eating more than 500 calories a day she is going to balloon also. By figuring out how much she is consuming on a average day and subtraction 100-300 calories off her total sum will be the safer result. Also making better food choices by replacing those little Debbie snack calories with something better for her.

Just by understanding what you need to eat makes things effortless in losing weight, or gaining weight. Coupled with exercise and weight training. With a diet consisting of high quality proteins like beef, cheese, eggs, fish, pork, poultry, whey and casein proteins found in milk, cottage cheese. Low starch veggies, fruits, and natural fats like avocados, butter, coconut, cream, nuts and seeds ( in moderation ), olives, olive oils, etc and full-fat sour creams and salad dressings. Staying away from human processed foods like cereals, or "fake" foods, sugars, coke, candy, pasta's, bread ( not consuming on a daily basis ), because its all useless to the human body besides spiking blood sugar and increasing your risk for diabetes, woot!

Our bodies haven't evolved for human processed foods, pills and powders to "help" us lose weight. It might to tough, but eat right!
    Palmz - Warlock
    Imminent
    JUICE
    Eternal Reign
    Infallible
    Duality

She's wasting money, but I'd be more worried about the starvation diet. The homeopathy is generally useless and thus harmless, that starvation diet is what could harm her.

You could argue allowing blissful ignorance if she wasn't hurting herself in the process. Imagine if she was cutting herself , or dangerously underweight from anorexia, would you just leave her to blissful ignorance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

To be brutally honest, that doesn't even sound like a legit homeopathy treatment. I bet even a 'proper' homeopath would tear her a new one if they ever found out.
    "The further a society drifts from the truth the more it will hate those who speak it" - George Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't tell her. Well, unless the money is becoming an issue for you. As much as I am an realist myself and I don't really like people that live in an illusion-world, I've learned that sometimes one just have to go with it and hope it won't spread to other things. For example - To my mother, I am the perfect child. Never does anything bad, and yada yada. But I have done several bad things(Who hasn't done a bad deed or two in their life?) that she kinda should know about. But I don't - cause I don't want to make her sad and she would shortly afterwards twist the image she has of me into the perfect boy again.

Quote Originally Posted by balir View Post
    To be brutally honest, that doesn't even sound like a legit homeopathy treatment. I bet even a 'proper' homeopath would tear her a new one if they ever found out.
    There are no "legit" homeopathic treatments, unless you simply mean a treatment which would do no harm (no good either, but they're certainly not meant to do any harm!)

However yes, as above (near the top of the page), I've let her know everything and have put an end to it.
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

Let her make her own mistakes. Until she someday shits out her liver as a result of this craziness, it's really none of your business to intervene beyond making a suggestion that she seek another opinion.

w/e too late now I guess.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Let her make her own mistakes. Until she someday shits out her liver as a result of this craziness, it's really none of your business to intervene beyond making a suggestion that she seek another opinion.
    I dunno, I think your partner doing something harmful to herself is kinda your business to intervene.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    This.

Also I thought in capitalism the main role of government is to prevent fraud. How is it that the prisons aren't full of these 'new age' grifters?
    Because (excluding small home-based developers), large companies producing homeopathic solutions pay lots of tax. Water is practically free, so it's a profit-machine. Of course, some of these firms use the extra money to fund less profitable (though not loss-making) ventures in other markets, but by and large it's a license to print money and the government is more than happy to take their share as long as it isn't hurting anyone.

The truth is though, that it IS hurting people, as the millions of people who subscribe to homeopathy are avoiding *actual* treatment for whatever their condition may be. The official line on that is that it's fine - non-treatment is your personal option.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    I dunno, I think your partner doing something harmful to herself is kinda your business to intervene.
    Maybe misinterpreting the tone of the situation, it seemed like it was going to be a "you're stupid" intervention.

I think the scientific community, and those who believe that science holds the answer to everything, is far to quick to denounce anything that doesn't have immediate effects or implications. Science has sadly become its own religion, where people blindly follow what is said, without looking for the more obvious answers.

Now lets be honest and frank. We both (talking directly to the OP) know that whatever droplets she is taking is going to be doing nothing for her diet. It'll achieve nothing whether she was taking it not, that at least is the scientific view of the situation.

But what if the drops are doing something for her? What is the drops are a mechanism that she uses to help her lose the weight? What if taking away the drops she takes, makes her believe there is no way she could lose the weight, and she stops her dieting.

Sometimes, Science tries to look for the answers in hard physical evidence, and people blindly follow it. Science fails to take into account the personal implications of many of these matters.

Maybe she needs the ignorance to continue her diet, otherwise she'll quit and regain the weight...?

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Science tries to look for the answers in hard physical evidence, and people blindly follow it
    Yeah we're so blind for following this pesky little thing called "physical evidence" instead of wishful thinking.

Science fails to take into account the personal implications of many of these matters.
    That must be why the placebo effect is not recognised in science.

Oh wait.

Yeah we're so blind for following this pesky little thing called "physical evidence" instead of wishful thinking.
    Homeopathy has its moments. I have cluster migraines, mostly from weather changes. With the exception of slamming tylenol at liver-raping rates, there's been very little in terms of prescription medications that have ever helped prevent or treat them. A homeopathist gave me an herbal treatment; mostly juniper, goldenrod, meadowsweet and grape extract. Shit works miracles by comparison and cost a lot less than the prescriptions were.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Homeopathy has its moments. I have cluster migraines, mostly from weather changes. With the exception of slamming tylenol at liver-raping rates, there's been very little in terms of prescription medications that have ever helped prevent or treat them. A homeopathist gave me an herbal treatment; mostly juniper, goldenrod, meadowsweet and grape extract. Shit works miracles by comparison and cost a lot less than the prescriptions were.
    Not really, no. Homeopahy does not work. What you are doing is buying very expensive placebos.

xkcd, always relevant

Not really, no. Homeopahy does not work. What you are doing is buying very expensive placebos.
    Did I hit "Post Reply" too quickly, or did I not mention that they actually work and cost less per dose than the prescriptions I had tried?

Firstly Semaphore there is no need to go around making attacks on people. Just because I show a different view point doesn't mean you need to bring a bitchy, sarcastic tone into the conversation...

Science has yet to reveal so much of the world we live on or the universe we're a part of. A lot of the physical evidence that people use are no more then theories or perceptions of an event. I've always advocated the great things science has, and can do.

I just don't like how people seem to think that Science has all the answers, that a scientific view is the best view.

That must be why the placebo effect is not recognised in science. Oh wait.
    I fail to see how this is relevant to my post at all? I never said science didn't recognise the placebo effect, but that in this case maybe it was better to leave that in place. We've all seen trials or cases where a placebo effect was all that was keeping the person fit and healthy, the thought that they were getting better, was more powerful then the drug they were offering.

Doesn't that mean that in this case, she should've been left to take the water? Made to think that in this specific case she was getting healthier because of the drops? Then reduce the effect they have by making her miss a day or two, and showing her that perhaps the drops only took her so far, and that she has been doing it herself now for the last few months?

---------- Post added 2013-01-27 at 10:51 AM ----------

I guess ignorance will be bliss in your case then.

Real homeopathic remedies work just fine. The ones you buy in stores, the water droplets that this thread is about, we know, and most people know it is all bullshit.

But don't ignore the hundreds of thousands of years of survival, wound treatment and remedies that worked just fine before we started to produce drugs that do everything better ...