Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Has ANY MMO done the Necromancer right?

I find it pretty depressing to say that from my experiences, the only video game that has ever done the Necromancer justice is Diablo 2. Other than that, no other game has ever been able to provide such an elating experience or even a sliver of the Necromancer's potential. Always struck with arbitrary limits, or warped into something that isn't truly a Necromancer.

The Necromancer is a rather simple concept, yet developers continue to screw up on providing a satisfying experience. I have tried to play the class on many different games after Diablo 2, but had to stop due to how disappointing the experience was.

My question is, has there or will there be an MMO that will provide a 'proper' Necromancer experience? If so, I will go out of my way to acquire this game if its available ASAP.

Necromancers summon up the dead.

How are games since diablo 2 ruinining this concept for you?
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

And who is to say what a "proper" Necromancer experience is?

Deleted
    Well a Necromancer summons the dead, thats what everyone agrees upon I guess.

I don't know any game who did it right, summoning demons of all sorts =/= the undead.

Actually I would like someone who summons the living dead.

In DAoC the Necromancer wwould summon a undead minion (Ghoul, Abomination) once summoned s/he would turn into a shade and have no other effect into the world except as to control his minion that he has summoned. I felt it did a good job of being a Necromancer. But other then that suppose Diablo 2 was a good example.

AoC skelly army necro.
    Necro in rift summons skelly companion.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deathknights are part necromancer, summoning the dead and all.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    And who is to say what a "proper" Necromancer experience is?
    Marching around with hordes of skeletons is quite satisfying. The Necromancer trades quality of minions for sheer quantity, something not many can grasp.

So many games have the Necromancer summon up really fucked up minions that are more akin to lab experiments than raised minions, as if something were wrong with skeletons and actual undead.

Or they have you stuck with one minion, where the glory is just cut in twine many times.

Everquest necros were pretty close to my idea of the ideal necro. Loads of dots some that siphon life others that damage, summoning zombies/skeletons/spectres, feign death, assuming a dead visage etc. Was good stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the Guild Wars Necro was pretty well done, choices between hordes of minions or blood magic that takes some health to deal a good chunk of damage and all sorts of debilitating abilities. Not to mention combining it with another class if you so chose.

There are many issues with commanding large groups of NPC-type creatures in a MMO. The first being performance issues. Diablo 2 was probably one of the best (although limited in scope) single character RPG portrayal of the Necromancer I've played (although Neverwinter Nights and the like can give you a very good necromancer experience.) Suffice it to say, outside of tabletop, or in a truly immersive world where experimenting in a secluded location and ritual practicing/sacrificing has benefits (even so miniscule as persuading others to follow you) an authentic necromancer won't exist... or Lichdom for that matter.
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel

I've never seen the Necromancer done 'right' (see: how I would think they should/could play). Which is funny because in an MMO where you have people around and plentiful creatures to kill it should be a very simple class to pull off. I understand they don't want someone crashing a server from spawning 9million pets, but this is the way I would develop the class if I was making a game.

1) You have a few basic leech spells that you use to fill a meter (like mana, energy, etc)
    2) Once that meter has reached certain benchmarks you can start resing things you find in the world. IE you come across a human and kill him and you turn him into human puppet and if you were to kill/find another creature like a tiger you could do the same.
    3) Your spell list would change once you have X number of minions. Maybe so your necromatic meter leech spells now heal or buff your minions. You the player would be weak, but your minions would be strong.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have to say the EQ2 necro also. Course EQ1 too but My favorite Necro's in games past is D2 (of course) and EQ2. EQ2's necro is a blast with different kinds of pets that look cool. I wish a game would have a summoner like EQ1 and 2's that summon elemental pets. Haven't seen a good one other than EQ2.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

10+ Year Old Account
    Guild Wars one necro was a lot of fun

Playing since '04

sadly the only game that created the necromancer class and made it fun and interesting was D2. Hopefully it will come up in D3 at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsworn Knight View Post
    Marching around with hordes of skeletons is quite satisfying. The Necromancer trades quality of minions for sheer quantity, something not many can grasp.

So many games have the Necromancer summon up really fucked up minions that are more akin to lab experiments than raised minions, as if something were wrong with skeletons and actual undead.

Or they have you stuck with one minion, where the glory is just cut in twine many times.
    If you just want a shit ton of undead minions, Age of Conan's Necromancer can conjure up to 8.

And it's also an absolute and utter clusterfuck and raids hate having them.

Could you imagine playing a tank or a melee in a raid with two, or maybe even three Reanimation Necromancers? 16 to 24 zombies all crowding around the boss, on top of the already-existing tanks and melee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsworn Knight View Post
    I find it pretty depressing to say that from my experiences, the only video game that has ever done the Necromancer justice is Diablo 2. Other than that, no other game has ever been able to provide such an elating experience or even a sliver of the Necromancer's potential. Always struck with arbitrary limits, or warped into something that isn't truly a Necromancer.

The Necromancer is a rather simple concept, yet developers continue to screw up on providing a satisfying experience. I have tried to play the class on many different games after Diablo 2, but had to stop due to how disappointing the experience was.

My question is, has there or will there be an MMO that will provide a 'proper' Necromancer experience? If so, I will go out of my way to acquire this game if its available ASAP.
    Guild Wars 1 did it excellently. I never played the class in Guild Wars 2 before I stopped playing, though. Maybe someone else can weigh in on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    you could have upwards of 20 undead minions at once as a necro on GW1.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    Going to have to go with GW2. The only reason I got that game and play it on my off times form WoW is so that I can be a necromancer.