Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by Extrazero8 View Post
    My ability to buy any newly made rifles, handguns, and magazines mentioned in the bill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Nope, you'll still have that right, there just won't be any new ones to buy.
    He won't have the ability to buy new.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko9 View Post
    He won't have the ability to buy new.
    The second amendment doesn't guarantee you the right to buy guns if no one is making them.

Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    If you have not heard me suggest by now that there are several other factors that contribute to a killing then a weapon then you just have not been paying attention to my reply's. I have several, several times suggested to talk about our culture of violence and what makes us so different from other countrys where we have so much violence.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...At-Large/page9

I even mentioned it in the starting point in another thread.

It keep's getting de-railed with people only asking me

What is difference from Semi Automatic and An Assault Weapon.

Completely ignoring what I had to say and instead focusing on my personal knowledge of weapon as if by doing that it would discredit other points made.
    It totally, 100% does discredit what you say. How can you claim its EASY to do something that you probably couldn't do? There are probably instructions for just about anything you want, that does not make it easy to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't ability necessitate access? What good is a right if you can't exercise it?

The second amendment doesn't guarantee you the right to buy guns if no one is making them.
    What I was getting at is he said won't be able to buy new, and you said he'll have that right, just not new ones. It was like you mistyped or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where? Where in "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." does it say they can't regulate guns?
    Probably the part where it says "shall not be infringed".

-edit

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I think part of the issue is that "arms" aren't clearly defined. Do they mean any weapon? Light infantry weapons? Cannons? The fact that they talk about needing a free militia to defend the state would imply that the citizens should have weaponry that can at least manage this in a setting of war. I don't think shotguns and handguns are sufficient in that case. Maybe a line can be drawn when it comes to cannons and artillery.
    Last edited by downnola; 2013-01-28 at 03:33 AM.

Where? Where in "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." does it say they can't regulate guns? Hell the only time it mentions regulation is when it speaks in favor of it.

If you define having your ability to exercise a right regulated as giving up said right then you have no rights to begin with.

In my opinion, "regulated" refers to militia, and not that last part of the amendment which states "right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall NOT be INFRINGED."

Thats how I interpret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Doesn't ability necessitate access? What good is a right if you can't exercise it?
    If I don't have the money for a gun should the government provide one for me?

And have you qualify marksmanship every year.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not a limitation that they imposed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fused you might be interested in this since you linked the video of Biden

In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Define "Assault Weapon" and how it is different from other guns. Telescoping stock, pistol grip, magazine, bayonette mount & a flash suppressor? How will banning those gun affect gun violence? What about all the guns not banned - are they safer or less effective? Do you know the difference between a full-automatic and a semi-automatic? Are these "Assault Weapons" a large factor in gun violence comapred to other weapons? What is the role of plain old handguns in gun violence? Is limiting availability of "Assault Weapons" going to have a significant effect on the issue?

With legislation targeting "Assault Weapons", isn't it important to know what the legislation will and will not address? Are the guns in the bill overtly effective at harming others or do they more-or-less just look more threatening?

The second amendment is a right like any other. Yes, based on the wording there needs to be regulation of this right.

What I don't understand is the fervor with which the left is advocating abridgment of this right. You never see this behavior with the right to free speech, due process, slavery etc.

Sure free speech isn't absolute, but are we not incredibly wary every time the government tries to abridge it? Of course we are.

Why do the liberals treat the second amendment differently?

Where? Where in "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." does it say they can't regulate guns? Hell the only time it mentions regulation is when it speaks in favor of it.

If you define having your ability to exercise a right regulated as giving up said right then you have no rights to begin with.

And you took my entire post completely out of context by selectively picking apart my entire post.

REGULATED BACK THEN MEANT TRAINED, NOT REGULATED AS IN THE REGULATION OR LIMITING OF. THEY WERE NEVER IN FAVOR OF REGULATION.

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED is where it says gun regulation isn't allowed.

You sure do have trouble reading everything when it doesn't suit you, don't you?

No, you have no rights when you decide to give them up for "security" of the regulation/banning of guns.

Wells, how about this, you have the right to free speech, correct? Now what if we regulated your speech, by modifying your vocal cords, you still have the right to speak, but what you can say is regulated.

If you don't understand this, then you need to attend a class or something to deal with your anger/ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I think I would save michal jordan's life. That guy was just such a great singer
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't pay for food for anyone I'm not sleeping with and you shouldn't either.

Stood in the Fire buddhapunch09's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Meanwhile, our economy stays in the toilet, the deficit continues to rise, and the divide of our nation grows while useless POS politicians like the Neo-Nazi Feinstein pushes her personal agenda. It's time to tell these rich jerks to quit with the useless dog and pony sideshows and get to work on the real needs of this country. All this gun control #$%$, of which nothing real will get done, is just sleight of hand to avoid the real issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    The second amendment is a right like any other. Yes, based on the wording there needs to be regulation of this right.

What I don't understand is the fervor with which the left is advocating abridgment of this right. You never see this behavior with the right to free speech, due process, slavery etc.

Sure free speech isn't absolute, but are we not incredibly wary every time the government tries to abridge it? Of course we are.

Why do the liberals treat the second amendment differently?
    This is exactly the reason I used quotes from Ronald Reagan a superior Republican that many still worship to this day. Because anyone who wants anything to do with assault weapons being banned must be a Liberal? case and point my example showed even Republican President's have praised the idea of gun control. It's not a party issue when both sides of President have expressed support for it.

My quoting of Ronald Began becomes invalid and void once people stop assuming everyone who wants any type of Gun Control is a Liberal.

Look up what "well regulated" means in the time it was written. It has nothing to do with goverment regulations. To regulate means to make regular - or make effective or efficient.

In modern terms - "An effective militia, in being necessary to the security of a free State, should know how how to use a gun when they need to use a gun, therefore, let them have guns." If you form up a militia of private citizens who have never seen a gun before, it's going to be a really crumby militia. It's why Switzerland makes ownership and training mandatory - they're no good if people don't know how to use them when the time comes.

This is exactly the reason I used quotes from Ronald Reagan a superior Republican that many still worship to this day. Because anyone who wants anything to do with assault weapons being banned must be a Liberal? case and point my example showed even Republican President's have praised the idea of gun control. It's not a party issue when both sides of President have expressed support for it.

My quoting of Ronald Began becomes invalid and void once people stop assuming everyone who wants any type of Gun Control is a Liberal.
    Fuck your assault weapons ban.

You can come up with no good reason to ban them.

They're used in only an incredibly small portion of violent crime.

If you want to address gun violence, you go after the people who use the guns. Leave the millions of us who are at no risk of violent crime alone.

This talk of banning certain guns makes me want to go buy an AR-15 just because fuck the hippies.

How many times does it have to be said? Reagan was wrong and in this case, has a liberal mindset about it. I don't worship the guy, hell, I don't even identify as a republican. Reagan was not a god

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Fuck your assault weapons ban.

You can come up with no good reason to ban them.

They're used in only an incredibly small portion of violent crime.

If you want to address gun violence, you go after the people who use the guns. Leave the millions of us who are at no risk of violent crime alone.

This talk of banning certain guns makes me want to go buy an AR-15 just because fuck the hippies.
    YOU are a god!
    Last edited by Rocko9; 2013-01-28 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko9 View Post
    How many times does it have to be said? Reagan was wrong and in this case, has a liberal mindset about it. I don't worship the guy, hell, I don't even identify as a republican. Reagan was not a god
    And this shows how much the right has shifted even further right in the past 30 years, while demanding everyone else do only what they want.

Hooray!