Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Fair enough. Looking at their data policy it seems to be ambiguous enough to allow that.
    "Yeah, give my Tradewind's profile!"

"Here's a profile, but without any personal info of a 'Tradewind' on it." *wink*.

Seems like that's how they could do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    here's the thing hyve. if you want to tell me how to act or w/e 24 hours a day, then the pay has to reflect 24 hours. if it's high, like you are suggesting, then that's fine. you should also be able to demand some form of full disclosure from the applicant, not do an end-run around privacy settings. with many people/companies regarding the lack of a facebook page or lack of activity on the page as a "red flag", coupled with the ability to get around privacy barriers it becomes a company's ability to spy on its employees. while it may only be high end positions right now it will inevitably spread, as drug testing did
    The pay is given reflecting the work you do while on duty.

Your continued employement is based on more than that. This is the same reason that people get fired because it turns out they're a member of the KKK on the weekends, or date the boss' daughter, or a host of other things.

When you work for a company, you represent that company, 24/7. Actions that make the company or your boss look bad can and will get you fired, regardless of whether they happen during work hours or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    We're not looking for people to act how we want them to all the time, but we're also not talking about the janitors here.

I deal with hiring people who are prominent figures of our company, people who, if they did go out and get drunk then attack someone, would have a direct impact on our company. It is peoples choice, as I have said. We let them know we're going to check them out, and we pay well above the minimum wage because we only take the cream off the top.

We don't want, nor will we settle for the sort of people who go out drinking all day and night. That is our policy. Having a laugh, meeting with your mates, these are things we want to see on Facebook profiles, it shows you're social, it shows you're someone to be around, but being someone who runs around naked all night and swearing at the police, is not something we tolerate.
    what im saying is, due to the position couldnt you just ask the applicant for a higher level of disclosure? why the sneaking and the violation? if there isnt an issue then you should be able to ask, and receive an honest answer or some form of access. if they wont do that wouldnt you have your answer? and i find the tattoo thing to be a bad argument honestly. if a tattoo is a problem it would kind of have to show up in a face to face interview, shouldnt it?
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Exactly why I am alarmed. How are they giving you personal information when it clearly says they cannot without consent?

Maybe that's why I recently received an email from them of a settled class action suit?
    It says...

which is why we don't share information we receive about you with others unless we have:

received your permission;
    given you notice, such as by telling you about it in this policy; or
    removed your name or any other personally identifying information from it.
    Look at point #2.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Look at point #2.
    Was there a notice lately? Because one would think they have to edit it into their policies after X time.

But the third way, yeah I had posted that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The pay is given reflecting the work you do while on duty.

Your continued employement is based on more than that. This is the same reason that people get fired because it turns out they're a member of the KKK on the weekends, or date the boss' daughter, or a host of other things.

When you work for a company, you represent that company, 24/7. Actions that make the company or your boss look bad can and will get you fired, regardless of whether they happen during work hours or not.
    in the scenario being presented by hyve they ARE being compensated. they said the same thing about drug testing in the beginning too. now plenty of low end and even minimum wage jobs demand it. there is no compensation for that demand. it has pretty much become a standard, and i see this type of thing following course
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why I don't use sites like facebook.

You want to know more about me? ASK ME. Don't go snooping around my house when it's dark out. The fact that you can get around privacy settings makes the whole thing even worse and is exactly why I'll never use Facebook, because they don't care about the people using their product. When I check the big fat button that says "don't give my information out to anyone." it means don't give my information out to anyone. I don't care if my boss asks nicely for it, if he wants it, he can ask me, if I don't want to tell him, it's my legal right not to.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Was there a notice lately? Because one would think they have to edit it into their policies after X time.
    It's in the privacy bulletin right there under How we use the information. "Internal operations" or even "data analysis" are pretty wide open in what they could mean, when you sign up for an account you agree to the terms.

It's in the privacy bulletin right there under How we use the information. "Internal operations" or even "data analysis" are pretty wide open in what they could mean, when you sign up for an account you agree to the terms.
    Well, internal means in house or with any contractors. They'd have to legally have these "clients" be some kind of "contractor" in legalese.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Yeah Hyve you are going to have say exactly what kind of information you are getting from facebook.
    I can't give example data, and I can only provide you with our experiences, but we have access to information posted onto your account, such as Wall Posts, Images, Albums (and their names), Dates, Times, Uploads, Links and such. We don't have access to your Private Messages that you use, although I am more then certain if we wanted to we probably could get that information.

This information is available after a difficult and long process of business verification. Most businesses just use their own profile to look on yours, while others get this information by request. I can only talk from experience, and I am happy to calm any concerns, or answer any questions, but I am limited of course by what I can reveal by our companies N.D.A. on various projects and policies, along with any restrictions from Facebook.

but none of those terms say that FB can give out private profile information like your own personal posts. They say everybody can see your name and profile picture and any other information you make public. If you leave something private that is not your profile picture, people should not be able to view it.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Well, internal means in house or with any contractors. They'd have to legally have these "clients" be some kind of "contractor" in legalese.
    They could also fall under the "affiliates" moniker, to which they have additional information sharing policies in place.

http://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/other

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    You want to know more about me? ASK ME
    We do ask people, but often enough their applications are full of bullshit and their Resumé is riddled with lies. Very few people are open and honest, and if I asked you about your night-life experiences, you'd probably not answer them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone has been stalking me irl without me knowing....I don't have him on Facebook and have very strict security and only have a few close friends on Facebook....the stalker is the boss of a major corporation and has contacted Facebook claiming i have applied for a job and they want to "see what I'm really like" The stalker then sees that I'm sharing messages between my friends about going to an event in a few days where i would be vulnerable...

It's one thing just searching on Google and attempting to get as much information as possible...it's another thing entirely bypassing the security options people have set.

but none of those terms say that FB can give out private profile information like your own personal posts. They say everybody can see your name and profile picture and any other information you make public. If you leave something private that is not your profile picture, people should not be able to view it.
    Your friends also have to have the same level of access to protect that information. If your profile is private but your friend's isn't and you post on your Wall about how you "hate chinese people." It might be private on your profile, but not theirs etc.

I can't give example data, and I can only provide you with our experiences, but we have access to information posted onto your account, such as Wall Posts, Images, Albums (and their names), Dates, Times, Uploads, Links and such. We don't have access to your Private Messages that you use, although I am more then certain if we wanted to we probably could get that information.

This information is available after a difficult and long process of business verification. Most businesses just use their own profile to look on yours, while others get this information by request. I can only talk from experience, and I am happy to calm any concerns, or answer any questions, but I am limited of course by what I can reveal by our companies N.D.A. on various projects and policies, along with any restrictions from Facebook.
    Well that is illegal, so if I can have your company name I am going to file an injunction against your company.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Hyve, what is your reaction when there is no profile on FB or any of the likes, only one on a professional site such as Linked In?

As a side note, what's your reaction towards someone that would have an account on MMO-C ?

Well that is illegal, so if I can have your company name I am going to file an injunction against your company.
    No, it isn't illegal at all and you've agreed to those terms by creating and maintaining an account.

Today a lot of people are getting an education on what "public" means on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, but when the restaurant says "We won't divulge anything you say, it's private!" then releases tapes to anyone who wants to buy them, that's abuse of trust.
    The restaurant never said that, though.

Exactly why I am alarmed. How are they giving you personal information when it clearly says they cannot without consent?

Maybe that's why I recently received an email from them of a settled class action suit?
    The data policy linked there has a lot of little spots where they left wiggle room to justify giving our "private" information. For instance, just to make something up that would probably pass in court, if Facebook provides data to prospective employers, that's something that could be classed as "internal operations", which is already in the list as an exception. It just requires that Facebook have an internal policy to do so to refer back to, so it can qualify.

I don't know any specifics, or if they're getting anything that isn't public, I'm just pointing out that Facebook's policy is deliberately generic and open to allow for wiggle room to prevent lawsuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Please tell me how if I'm talking at a normal level in an actual booth (those things with walls and doors) anyone is going to hear or see what's going on?
    If you're in a separate room, that's different, but if they have a security camera in there, unless they specifically advised you otherwise, that footage is theirs to use as they see fit. If you call your boss a flaming shitbag, and then don't tip very well, the restaurant owner is perfectly within his rights to give that footage to your boss. Because you were in public.

Deleted
    but any company (ours included) has spoken to Facebook and we're able to contact them, asking for specific information related to certain individuals accounts.
    That looks illegal.