Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Every time I watch that video, I always want a stable wormhole to burst through the ring.
    Chevron 7 locked?

15+ Year Old Account
    The thing is nobody know. If we already knew which would revolutionize our world we would have it by now.

Though I heard they are trying to make put droids in the consumer world for fedex and such so that should be coming soonish.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    I'm not entirely sure if you know of this, but in my view it is 3D Printing.

3D Printing allows companies to print directly from a specification the product. Imagine how that would change the world we live in.

No more need to have stuff delivered, you can just get it printed in your home, and then put it together if it is a big item. Shops are then redundant as you can get what you want, when you want it. The money saved from businesses would mean they could ship more products at a higher quality.

One of the other big things about it is organ printing. Taking a few cells of yours, as a foundation and then printing you a whole new kidney when yours fails. Imagine the extension of life that'll bring, and what it means for the medical world.

Also, the big news about this is, it is already happening. A Blood Cell has been 3D Printed and successfully implanted into a Rat. And 3D Printing of items is hue already, as some car companies already are using it in their production line.

Yeah at least in the US i see organ printing not taking off for several decades at best going by current trends in this country.

As for 3d printing isn't it limited to non moveable things? So maybe great for do it yourself kits but not for say printing a working say rolling pin. Not a decent one at least LOL.

And then what about more complex and technical things that require more then plastics?

We have some hrudles to overcome with both. But they could indeed revolutionize many things once overcome.

Quantum computing and 3D printing (google and be amazed) are the two things I have my eyes on at the moment, the former being a much further venture than the latter of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Chevron 7 locked?
    <3
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    The thing is nobody know. If we already knew which would revolutionize our world we would have it by now.

Though I heard they are trying to make put droids in the consumer world for fedex and such so that should be coming soonish.
    I also like to think that there are plenty of things we COULD have if money or modern science would allow it...Modern science seems so hidebound. Too many rules and regulations if you ask me let the nutjobs run free and create again LOL...Translation not a fan of the moral rules and fact that you need to be accredited to be taken even semi seriously or even have your thoughts submitted fields depending.

Really stifles the potential and takes away from the guys we USED to have working wonders in basements, apartments and makeshift labs.

I also like to think that there are plenty of things we COULD have if money or modern science would allow it...Modern science seems so hidebound. Too many rules and regulations if you ask me let the nutjobs run free and create again LOL...Translation not a fan of the moral rules and fact that you need to be accredited to be taken even semi seriously or even have your thoughts submitted fields depending.

Really stifles the potential and takes away from the guys we USED to have working wonders in basements, apartments and makeshift labs.
    Talk to me when we have a Dyson Ring, and the technology to build and maintain it.

I maintain AI's are going to be next real huge 'life changer' for everyone on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Absolutely true. Completely.
    Yeah, not at all. People would die for sure, but we would survive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Talk to me when we have a Dyson Ring, and the technology to build and maintain it.

I maintain AI's are going to be next real huge 'life changer' for everyone on the planet.
    I'm no robot apocalypse man but even i'm kinda touchy about AI...Then again i also say give em full and equal rights and make DAMN sure any TRUE AI has no reason to go nuts LOL.

Various ways though the gravity never occurred to me...Hmmm gotta be a way...Still isn;t that over half the fun. Trying to figure out how to make the supposedly impossible possible.

Though gravity aside i develop ways to help create a base ozone and utilize plants such as trees to create a breathable atmosphere for humans at least...Although if we discover any indigenous life no matter how basic and rudimentary everything would have to be reconsidered IMO...

But hmmm your point about gravity adds some more fun into it...I wonder....See THIS is what i call fun. Figuring out ways to achieve this sorta thing.

And i should really add "Nothing is impossible merely improbable" to my sig.
    As far as I understand, the lack of gravity to retain the atmosphere humans would need along with a lack of magnetic fields to create a van allen radiation belt are the two huge roadblocks to any kind of terraforming project we might want to do on Mars.

I'm no robot apocalypse man but even i'm kinda touchy about AI...Then again i also say give em full and equal rights and make DAMN sure any TRUE AI has no reason to go nuts LOL.
    A true AI doesn't need to have emotions or anything similar that would cause it to go crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I understand, the lack of gravity to retain the atmosphere humans would need along with a lack of magnetic fields to create a van allen radiation belt are the two huge roadblocks to any kind of terraforming project we might want to do on Mars.
    But as i see it giving humans a reason and especially if we create a NEED for that tech we'd wind up making it LOL. What i;ve observed at least. We can do AMAZING things when we feel we HAVE to.

But yeah as i said i find it fun to think of how such things even COULD be done. That alone is fun...Though i'd rather we actually get off our asses and work on em.

Once an AI is a true AI, as in Artificial Intelligence, it can learn on its own, the things that it should be able to deduce/invent/formulate should be absolutely amazing, assuming it can access everything we 'know' at once and has enough RAM and Processing Power (again, we will probably need quantum computing first, and that would make those terms wrong, but yea...) to start exponentially increasing our knowledge, at the very least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    A true AI doesn't need to have emotions or anything similar that would cause it to go crazy.
    Okay maybe i more going AL but i still say a true AI should be encouraged to learn and develop to be fully unique.

---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 10:44 AM ----------

Once an AI is a true AI, as in Artificial Intelligence, it can learn on its own, the things that it should be able to deduce/invent/formulate should be absolutely amazing, assuming it can access everything we 'know' at once and has enough RAM and Processing Power (again, we will probably need quantum computing first, and that would make those terms wrong, but yea...) to start exponentially increasing our knowledge, at the very least.
    Oh i agree will be fucking amazing and great. And as i said i;m no robot apocalypse man..I know MANY people who are though. I just say the moment they elevate to emotions and siliamr things we treat em as equal lifeforms instead of going all "WE MADE YOU AND WE CAN BREAK YOU SO SHUT UP AND GO MAKE A WARP ENGINE".

THAT is a serious recipe for trouble with ANY form of sentience.

its often the case that the most revolutionizing thing becomes so widespread so fast that people dont realise what we now have and how much it changed everything.

I put it to you that one of the most revolutionizing things of our lifetime so far is touch screens and smart devices,
    somthing so widespread and common to us now, but if you go back and watch say startrek and next gen, its amazeing to see just how much we caught up and even overtook there idea of these handheld interactive devices.

i would also say high speed internet is probably THE single most ground breaking thing ever. information about anything, messages to anyone anywhere, any media, all available within fractions of a second.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    You are misinformed as to how electricity works, or really energy works.

You do not need to run any higher power into your home from a power plant 2 feet away then you do from one 20 miles away. So yes we can use it. The stuff you have read about power plants distributing EHV transmission lines is intentional. Voltage and current are inverse, so when you pump up the voltage to obscene values you drop the current to almost nothing and save yourself from having to use massively thick wires to overcome heat fatigue. It also goes a long way to reducing power losses along the way. Remember every bit of wire the electricity goes through eats off some of the usable energy in the form of things like heat. I'm not sure why you think using the heat released from a nuclear reaction is hard to do, we do it 24/7 in every nuclear reactor on earth, mobile and stationary. In fact my example was of a proven design that had no problem doing it.

Any source of electrical power is 'brute'. Any source of considerable power is by its very definition unstable and dangerous. Do you know what the definition of voltage is? Its the difference in potential between 2 points. So high voltage = high degree of difference in charge, and since nature likes entropy the energy wants to move from places of high to places of low. It does not matter if your talking about heat, light, sound or electrical. Any kind of power supply is going to be dangerous and volatile. You have those perceptions about nuclear power because it is such a fantastic power supply. You imagine it to be so much more wildly untamed but in fact it fits in nicely with other sources of power, it simply contains more potential so as expected when it goes out of control the result is that much more spectacular.

What your asking for is a source of energy, that is not energetic. You want the benefit but not the cost. You want the fun without the danger. You are asking for something from nothing.

What happens when we manage to funnel energy off of black holes? Do you imagine that will be a stable method that is without danger?
    You misunderstood what I meant about the cables, my point is that even if we could cheaply deliver high voltages to the household, the means of transporting them are far from practical. My point is that even though we would need this voltages, right now it's only really possible in the environment of research facilities. Unless it's relatively safe to use, we won't see it in a household.

Regarding the source, we'll yeah, you got my idea. It really has to be something different than we have now. Fusion was a step in the right direction, since it's a highly controlled environment and any failure leads to the dissipation of reaction, instead of volatile outburst, but it's still dirty. And the fact that it can quench if something goes wrong with the structural integrity. Yes it's not a meltdown, but still pretty destructive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    I don't know. I think while it is going to help those who are disabled, both prosthetics and biotech aren't going to fundamentally change everyone's lives.

As long as I have both legs, how can I profit from a hyper modern leg prosthesis?
    you can always upgrade yourself 'hyper mordern leg prosthesises' might make you run faster t han biological legs

---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 12:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Holograms will replace T.V.s

If someone could create a device that could mimic any smell that would be huge too for television as well.
    trying to mimic smells aint the way to go, a way better method would be trying to simulate it straight into ur brain

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    trying to mimic smells aint the way to go, a way better method would be trying to simulate it straight into ur brain
    Wouldnt that just make them pretty much memories?

Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    Wouldnt that just make them pretty much memories?
    After you experience them, yes. If you have implants or something that connect directly to your brain that makes your brain 'think' it smells or hears or sees something...

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    you can always upgrade yourself 'hyper mordern leg prosthesises' might make you run faster t han biological legs
    Pretty sure they already have those. They're not even proper legs; they're weird bendy flipper things.

I'd put my chips on human augmentation. Can't say how soon it'll be. Judging by the cadence of that list earlier in the thread, I'd probably spitball it at about 5-10 years in the future.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Pretty sure they already have those. They're not even proper legs; they're weird bendy flipper things.

I'd put my chips on human augmentation. Can't say how soon it'll be. Judging by the cadence of that list earlier in the thread, I'd probably spitball it at about 5-10 years in the future.
    Then we gotta wait for legislation and humans to accept it in most of the world MAYBE an extra 1-2 years if not immediately...In the US add on another 5-20 maybe 50 years. I've notcied as far as science and ESPECIALLY medicine goes i live in a pretty ass backwards nation.