Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

[Arcane] Advice on optimising my DPS

Hey guys,

I'm currently playing Arcane and loving it (nice change from Fire). My DPS ranges from 100 - 120k single target but I feel I can push that little bit more (seeing logs on other chars with the same IL). My IL is ~493 (IIRC - At work and armoury is blocked).

I feel like I am doing my opener incorrectly (it just doesn't 'feel right'). I would love for some advice on the best way to optimise my opener.

1. RoP
    2. Mirror, Potion, Beserking (Troll FTW), Lifeblood (herbalist)
    3. Normal Rotation

I'm not 100% sure about the ones in red, and feel they might be better done later on - however I have yet to prove if this increases my DPS.

I would also like some advice on my AOE rotation.

For fights such as Wind Lord, it is:

1. Dot
    2. Spread/explode with IB
    3. 6 stacks (missiles on the way)
    4. ??????
    5. Profit

Steps 4 and 5 are a little tricky and I would like some pointers here. I try AE and multidot (NT) but get no where near the DPS I see other mages doing. Should I be multidotting NT at all??

Sorry for so many questions, but I would love to get my DPS optimised once and for all!

Many thanks,

Fish

Deleted
    YOur a herbalist? Thats a dps loss right there, a crafting proffesion will be better.

For windlord I do something like:
    Use NT (and tab targetting) while moving to dot up while running for what ever reason
    Use NT (and tab targetting) to regen mana if needed (hardly but)
    Use NT (just to keep it atleast up one one target)
    Stack to 6, release any missiles
    Flame Strike
    Arcane Barrage (hits like a TRUCK, about 100k per hit, 6 hits)

For the aoe phase definatly Frost bomb will out perform I think, but I love to be able to dot up stuff with NT while moving I seem to always be the target of Resin or need to free someone.

Also Temporal shield FTW on Rain of Blades
    Last edited by mmoc980c3dc910; 2013-01-28 at 03:29 PM.

Deleted
    Hi namliam,

Thanks for your reply.

The reason I have herb is that this character was an alt (also has alc). I am reluctant to change it at the moment until I level my other herby, but thanks for the insight.

Deleted
    For windlord...i usually place my rune, spread living bomb, pop mirror images, arcane power, potion, lifeblood, then a flamestrike and then i spam arcane explosion until either flamestrike comes off cd or LB ticks ou; at 6 stacks i throw in arcane barrage. this results in about 160k dps, which is only topped by our feral tank druid, and sometimes the survival hunter.
    the most of the times i spread the bomb when the boss and the adds are still being placed right, so i dont use any cd's for the first bomb/spread.
    a nice dps boost is casting frostnova just before living bomb explodes, so when there's about 0,5 seconds left.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Netheris2k View Post
    a nice dps boost is casting frostnova just before living bomb explodes, so when there's about 0,5 seconds left.
    I may be wrong, but doesnt Frost Nova count as a CC - potentially causeing more than 4 adds to be CC'd at once?

Deleted
    nope, polymorph, stuns (not even all like the one from combustion) those count as cc not the roots from frost nova/freeze dont know about the druid roots though.

Deleted
    FYI you should never poly the adds as it takes them back to 100% HP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishrage View Post
    FYI you should never poly the adds as it takes them back to 100% HP.
    Wrong, actually, polymorph has a shorter cast time than the spear... thus using polymorph is better by about 0.1 second per cast. or something minimal like that.

Poly or spear, use either tbh just keep them cc-ed

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by namliam View Post
    Wrong, actually, polymorph has a shorter cast time than the spear... thus using polymorph is better by about 0.1 second per cast. or something minimal like that.

Poly or spear, use either tbh just keep them cc-ed
    They must have changed that then. I distinctly remember morphing an add at 20% HP only to have it healed to 100%.

Deleted
    well if the menders are left to their own devices you dont need any outside source to get them to full health FAST

10+ Year Old Account
    The spear has a bigger range than poly and you get the dbm warning for it which I don't think you get if you use poly.

On a fight with so many mechanics 0.1 seconds really isn't much.
    MB: Asus Maximus V Extreme CPU: 3770k@4.5Ghz custom water loop GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 RAM: Corsair 4x4GB 1600Mhz 7-8-8-24
    SSD: Samsung 830 256GB PSU: Corsair AX850 CASE: Corsair 800D
    Armory

Quote Originally Posted by Fishrage View Post
    They must have changed that then. I distinctly remember morphing an add at 20% HP only to have it healed to 100%.
    Normally, yes, mobs will regenerate "very quickly." However, on this fight since the adds share a health pool, having one or two of the three polymorphed, while having one in combat will not cause them to regain health.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by neubs986 View Post
    Normally, yes, mobs will regenerate "very quickly." However, on this fight since the adds share a health pool, having one or two of the three polymorphed, while having one in combat will not cause them to regain health.
    Ah okay, I thought I saw them regen (may have been a heal?). Either way, thanks for the clarification.

Deleted
    The normal rotation I usually start with is:

RoP at 5 sec to pull
    Potion and Mirror Image at 1 sec.
    Then pull with LB/NT

Get Blast to 6 stacks, saving all missile procs
    pop Macro which pops Arcane Power/Synapse/Alter Time (Place berserking in here as well and try to line it with trinkets and cloak if tailor)
    then in the alter time use Blast, AM, AM, Barrage
    If under hero Blast, AM, Blast, Am, Barrage.

On Wind Lord the easiest way to do AoE is Living Bomb and spreading it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmzac View Post
    The spear has a bigger range than poly and you get the dbm warning for it which I don't think you get if you use poly.

On a fight with so many mechanics 0.1 seconds really isn't much.
    True for the countdown, true for 0.1 seconds isnt much at all... Not sure if the range is much different know its 30 yards on Poly not sure for the spear...
    Have to pay attention next time I do this fight :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by namliam View Post
    True for the countdown, true for 0.1 seconds isnt much at all... Not sure if the range is much different know its 30 yards on Poly not sure for the spear...
    Have to pay attention next time I do this fight :P
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=122224
    Range of the spear is 40 yards.
    MB: Asus Maximus V Extreme CPU: 3770k@4.5Ghz custom water loop GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 RAM: Corsair 4x4GB 1600Mhz 7-8-8-24
    SSD: Samsung 830 256GB PSU: Corsair AX850 CASE: Corsair 800D
    Armory

Deleted
    Okay, so back on topic.

My starter last night (single target) was as follows:

RoP
    Mirrors
    Pot
    Macro (AP, Lifeblood, Berserking) - Was not a macro previously
    Normal rotation.

I managed 195k on HC Elegon (10m). I'm quite disapointed with this, and expected around 210k. Had some bad positioning on 2nd P1 though, so will have to work on this.

Deleted
    Why would you use AP/Lifeblood/Breserking before being on 6 stacks ? I don't think using since during ramp up time is optimal.

I usually do this :

RoP
    Mirrors + Pot
    AB to 6 stacks saving AM procs
    6 stacks + 2 AM procs > Hit Macro (AP/Trinkets/Lifeblood whatever you have + Alter Time)
    AM AM AB (depending on your haste you can squeeze one or two more AB) + ABarr
    AT procs
    AM AM
    (Optionnal : Use glyphed gem there to spam more AB and stay near 100% mana)
    Usual Rotation.

You should be able to do this a second time during P3 of elegon (so during bloodlust), with BL you usually can squeeze in more AB before Alter Time procs and you have 6 more seconds of Bloodlust because of AT.
    Last edited by mmoc70ab634a7b; 2013-01-31 at 04:31 PM.

Deleted
    Eihwaz have some really solid advice there. The reason Troll racials are so good for mages is because we will get and extra 6 sec of buffs like that from Alter Time, you need to use AT with all your possible cd's while at 6 stacks and 2 AM proccs, but before your potion has less than 6 secs left. This is almost always possible and would be the optimal use of AT.

Deleted
    Now that I think of it, I have no idea why I am using it so early.

Thank you Eihwaz.