Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zerocoolhack View Post
    When one of the pro-gun arguments is that gun related deaths in the US are a small fraction of the total deaths each year you can not then use the argument that he was threatened by a gun. Can't have your cake and eat it too.
    Ever hear of defensive driving?

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Socio-economic issues.

How do we 'solve poverty?' I'm just curious.
    An impossibility that we all need to accept.

Quote Originally Posted by Uschlol View Post
    Guns never should have been the point. The man is to blame.

And to be honest they are nearly a perfect comparison
    Cars are primarily designed as a means of transportation.

Guns are primarily designed as a weapon to inflict maximum harm on the target.

Cars kill more people, but are also more prevalent. They are also larger (usually.)

Again, I'm not for a gun ban, but spouting off random death statistics is meaningless. The fact remains that guns are a tool meant to kill, first and foremost, and they are too often in the hands of people that have no business owning them.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ever hear of defensive driving?
    How do you plan on working degensive driving into this?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    An impossibility that we all need to accept.
    Most crime is caused by socio-economic issues. I'm completely open to everyone saying 'guns are not the problem' (And they aren't _the_ problem, but they are a facet of the high murder rates in the US) giving us ideas for how to try and fix the actual issues that cause crime beyond so called 'crimes of passion'?

Quote Originally Posted by palamanian View Post
    That's really unfortunate, certainly being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Hopefully justice is served and he rots in a cell until he's dead.
    There is no justice to be served, he shot someone who willingly trespassed on his property and was completely legal assuming their were private property/ no trespassing signs posted.

It's no different than you encroaching on property that has beware of dog signs posted everywhere, should your face get ripped off by half a dozen pitbulls because you ignored the warning, it's your fault.

Besides their could of been other events that gave the owner every right to be paranoid about random people coming onto his property, maybe he owed bad people money or had actually expected bad people were coming after him.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Cars are primarily designed as a means of transportation.

Guns are primarily designed as a weapon to inflict maximum harm on the target.

Cars kill more people, but are also more prevalent. They are also larger (usually.)

Again, I'm not for a gun ban, but spouting off random death statistics is meaningless. The fact remains that guns are a tool meant to kill, first and foremost, and they are too often in the hands of people that have no business owning them.
    Actually there are over 300 million firearms in the us. Much more than there are cars on the roads.

But you keep going back to my point, it's not the tool, but the person using the tool. I think we agree.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    There is no justice to be served, he shot someone who willingly trespassed on his property and was completely legal assuming their were private property/ no trespassing signs posted.

It's no different than you encroaching on property that has beware of dog signs posted everywhere, should your face get ripped off by half a dozen pitbulls because you ignored the warning, it's your fault.

Besides their could of been other events that gave the owner every right to be paranoid about random people coming onto his property, maybe he owed bad people money or had actually expected bad people were coming after him.
    Cant use that argument since he has no fence around his property and had zero signs posted.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Socio-economic issues.

How do we 'solve poverty?' I'm just curious.
    I would say reforming the public education system(K-12) and somehow making college/university cheaper or free all together for people. Then some of these people would have a way out instead of resorting to a life of crime.

How do you plan on working degensive driving into this?
    Your chances of getting into a car accident a relatively low, but you still take precautions by driving defensively. Much like your chances of being shot by a robber are low, but you should still take precautions

---------- Post added 2013-01-30 at 06:52 AM ----------

Cant use that argument since he has no fence around his property and had zero signs posted.
    Pretty sure the yelling "get off my property!" Will suffice

---------- Post added 2013-01-30 at 06:54 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    I would say reforming the public education system(K-12) and somehow making college/university cheaper or free all together for people. Then some of these people would have a way out instead of resorting to a life of crime.
    Let me guess, your 20something and are having to takeout massive loans.....IMO college should be harder and more expensive, weed out the undeserving

10+ Year Old Account
    Tell me how one can leave a driveway with a bullet in your head?

Actually there are over 300 million firearms in the us. Much more than there are cars on the roads.

But you keep going back to my point, it's not the tool, but the person using the tool. I think we agree.....
    But there are not 300 million guns in use every day, but there are something like 200 million cars in use every day. Even if you wanted to compare them it would fall flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    But there are not 300 million guns in use every day, but there are something like 200 million cars in use every day. Even if you wanted to compare them it would fall flat.
    What's in use entail? Taking a gun out and cleaning it? Having it sit in a nightstand? I think you are missing the point....

Guns are not any more dangerous than your drive to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    In this case it is clearly second degree murder, as he backed down and yelled he had no intention to rob him.
    You don't know that, its the group of kids word vs his.

I mean if you were a elderly man living in an area full of gang activity and your neighbors house had been broken into only weeks before you would be pretty f"ing paranoid about a car full of Latino teenagers who fit the description of gang members (it's not a stereotype the majority of the people in street gangs are indeed either black or LAtino)

I will admit however that the gun owner did act irresponsibly simply because he made himself the threat before verifying these kids were a threat, he couldn't tell the car was in reverse, he didn't give the offenders an opportunity to explain themselves and he shot to kill not wound.

Given the guys background I would be hesitant to push criminal charges as he sounds like an upstanding citizen who merely acted rashly, I would take away his guns and declare him unfit to own one due to his age/ lack of judgement but it sounds like he lives in an area where not owning a gun could be very detrimental to his own health, Especially now that this has happened.

Guy needs to go to jail unless he provide proof that he was in danger. Heck I would settle on manslaughter if need be but I would be going for the 2nd degree first.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I do hope he goes to jail and not use the trespassing on my property card.

News: Some crazy old coot shoots somebody who didn't deserve it.

Elsewhere, not reported by media: Someone protects his family from violent invaders.

I guarantee you the media will report on every single incident where a gun is used improperly (and will likely end up national), and very few where they are used properly. It sounds like only bad things are happening that way, and is much easier to push an agenda.

It's a very tragic event and shows how guns can be used improperly even by legal gun owners, but these events are the exceptions, not the rules.

And yes, he will be punished. The law doesn't allow you to shoot anyone on your property. They have to be trying to break into your home violently. Otherwise, it would be legal to shoot anyone who knocks on your door (it's not).

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    You don't know that, its the group of kids word vs his.

I mean if you were a elderly man living in an area full of gang activity and your neighbors house had been broken into only weeks before you would be pretty f"ing paranoid about a car full of Latino teenagers who fit the description of gang members (it's not a stereotype the majority of the people in street gangs are indeed either black or LAtino)

I will admit however that the gun owner did act irresponsibly simply because he made himself the threat before verifying these kids were a threat, he couldn't tell the car was in reverse, he didn't give the offenders an opportunity to explain themselves and he shot to kill not wound.

Given the guys background I would be hesitant to push criminal charges as he sounds like an upstanding citizen who merely acted rashly, I would take away his guns and declare him unfit to own one due to his age/ lack of judgement but it sounds like he lives in an area where not owning a gun could be very detrimental to his own health, Especially now that this has happened.
    Yes but, people rarely ever shoot to wound as you seem to believe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good lord guys, don't make a big damn deal out of this now. Either side, I mean now.
    Just because some idiot with less than 2 cents worth of brains shot someone in his driveway doesn't really have to re-trigger the gun debate. He's certainly not representative. Putting blame on the driver is as idiotic as it gets too.. It's absolutely normal to pull in other peoples driveways to turn around for example. People pull in other peoples driveways millions of time every day all over the country, and no one gets shot, and no one feels the need to shoot.
    Pointless to make an example now out of one case.

Deleted
    A man murders another. Big deal? Happens all the time.

Gun violence is still lower than it has been in the past in the US. Trying to make a fuzz out of every murder won't change statistics.

---------- Post added 2013-01-30 at 07:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    Here we go again with guns, the goose in my avatar is not pleased.
    Fuck I hate those Canadian geese.