Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    2 hour movie about killing and collecting bear asses

I hope they end up making it more like hellboy (mainly prosthetics and makeup) and less like avatar (ton of cgi).

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Shark View Post
    bleh, "live action adaptation" lets hope for a few things:
    1. they have the budget to do this right.
    2. bring the right actors into it
    3. respect the source material but thankfully with WoW it shouldn't be hard to come up with something that could fit within the universe.
    4. FFS go with the avatar approach when it at least comes to the none human, dwarf, elf characters. if i see an orc in as an animatronic or guy in a suit tables will be flipped.
    5. expect none of the above to happen. this is hollywood we are talking about here.
    The budget " Warcraft is expected to have a budget north of $100 million"
    I dunno much about movie budgets but that sounds like a ton of money ;o

Duncan Jones is probably last director I'd expect, but Moon is one of my favorite movies, so I'm looking forward to it.

PS. I want Sam Rockwell for Medivh^^

Normally I'd hope for the best and expect the worst, but I don't really care about the movie at the current moment. I'd care more if it was full CGI like their cinematics. I don't think it will be bad just because it's based off a video game, however.
    Last edited by Jokubas; 2013-01-31 at 02:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    I'm hoping for live action and CGI. That would be epic, IMO.
    I'm praying its CGI or it will suck.

But if not Dwayne Johnson as Thrall !!!
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

The best approach would be for them to use the same method used to make the Beowulf film;

Used real actors, and had a perfect balance between 'cartoony' and realistic. All in all I think they can do the idea justice. Naturally I think their first and foremost market will be the WoW/Fantasy playerbase, so I doubt it's going to stray far beyond what pleases them. All I can say is that I hope they pick some good lore to base it off; anything before Cataclysm, essentially. Since WOTLK, both questing and lore have left me cringing more often than not, be it regarding the Forsaken or Deathwing; perhaps two of their biggest failures, having utterly ruined those characters in 'developing' them.

Ideal plotlines;

War of the Ancients (Seeing how they pussied out of it in WoW with Well of Eternity)
    Alliance vs Horde (Vanilla style)
    The general TBC/WOTLK plots
    Pre-Vanilla events regarding the Burning Legion/Scourge (Fall of Lordaeron, etc)
    Last edited by Austilias; 2013-01-31 at 01:38 AM.

$100 million is a good budget for a normal film, but I'm not sure how far that would go in a cgi and effects heavy movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    The best approach would be for them to use the same method used to make the Beowulf film;
    I really hope that's not the case, it was rather awfully done in that movie.

I hope it's more like in Avatar, but their budget might not be big enough for that. Depends on how far the technology has come since then I suppose.

I just hope that:

1.) it doesn't turn into a zombie movie with humans vs. undead

and

2.) there's enough moral ambiguity that it's not just humans = good, orcs = bad

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Turkey View Post
    The budget " Warcraft is expected to have a budget north of $100 million"
    I dunno much about movie budgets but that sounds like a ton of money ;o
    For a movie with CGI and such, that isnt that much. $100mil sounds like enough to get the job done though.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerN View Post
    I really hope that's not the case, it was rather awfully done in that movie.

I hope it's more like in Avatar, but their budget might not be big enough for that. Depends on how far the technology has come since then I suppose.
    I wouldn't say it was 'awfully' done, but the difference between Beowulf and Avatar was that Avatar didn't want to look animated, whereas Beowulf did. The premise of Avatar's CGI was to look as realistic as possible in its portrayal of an alien world/ecosystem/race, whereas Beowulf's CGI, as Ray Winstone talked about during an episode of The Jonathan Ross show in 2007, discussed how the animation was intended to look noticeably animated and not indiscernible from something 'real'; no finer evidence for this than the portrayal of Grendel.

A recurring theme throughout WoW has been the developer's desire to keep the 'cartoony'/animated look; I think they'll reflect that in the movie.
    Last edited by Austilias; 2013-01-31 at 01:47 AM.

Deleted
    Jeez, haven't heard anything about the movie for ages. I thought it was going to be scrapped. I don't mind whether it's live-action or animated. It will be interesting to see how certain races carry on the big screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravityx View Post
    For a movie with CGI and such, that isnt that much. $100mil sounds like enough to get the job done though.
    I agree. All they really have to do is get the movie off the ground, market the hell out of it and gather a good following and make more than it cost to make and you may be looking at sequels. Here's hoping.
    My hunter is the genetic love child of Liam Neeson, the Dos Equis guy and Chuck Norris. You lose.

<broken image snip>

Quote Originally Posted by Zambooka View Post
    Jeez, haven't heard anything about the movie for ages. I thought it was going to be scrapped. I don't mind whether it's live-action or animated. It will be interesting to see how certain races carry on the big screen.
    I agree. My only issue with live-action is how they'll portray races beyond...well, beyond humans really. That said, films like Narnia portrayed their Minotaurs incredibly well considering the often live-action nature of their film. A Tauren that looked like this for example, would have me satisfied (if they go down that route);

10+ Year Old Account
    100 mil sounds like a decent gamble. I like potentially starting with a never-before-told adventure and then if the movie is successful having the sequels tell Arthas, Thrall, or Midevh story.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuadu View Post
    I agree. All they really have to do is get the movie off the ground, market the hell out of it and gather a good following and make more than it cost to make and you may be looking at sequels. Here's hoping.
    if they bring in or are heavily involving the blizz cinematic team then it wont take much for the player base alone to be enough of a marketing campaign. the studio (legendary right?) should put a lot of effort into bringing the fans of WoW on board, seeing as there are quite a few of us that word of mouth alone should fill seats.

as a side note the fact that they are going with Legendary on this gives me a sliver of hope that it wont be total garbage.

15+ Year Old Account
    Based on information provided from previous BlizzCon panels (specifically either Lore panels or the Warcraft Movie panels) by our venerable and divine Highlord Warchief Metzen, who is writing the story for the film...
    - Live-action
    - "not an adventure movie" like Lord of the Rings
    - "a war movie" that focuses on the war between the horde and the alliance, but is told primarily from the Alliance perspective
    - Takes place in the 4 year gap between Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne and Vanilla WoW.
    - "going for PG-13 or R" movie, and that they wouldn't lower it to PG-13 if it got the R rating (though I wouldn't be surprised over a PG-13 just for ticket sales)

For anyone skeptical about this, go YouTube the Warcraft movie or lore panels from previous BlizzCons.
    Last edited by Anshinritsumai; 2013-01-31 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    I agree. My only issue with live-action is how they'll portray races beyond...well, beyond humans really. That said, films like Narnia portrayed their Minotaurs incredibly well considering the often live-action nature of their film. A Tauren that looked like this for example, would have me satisfied (if they go down that route);
    eh im sure i'm not the only one that wants a blizz cinematic thats two hours or more in length (point being no live actors in site). I am very against using suits or animatronics for the other races, i want to see emotion "acting" from any none human character. and in my book anything less then CGI doesn't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Turkey View Post
    I'm pretty sure I heard them mention (Blizzard) that they were going to be focusing on Humans and that it would be Live action and wouldn't use any exsisting storyline going on in the game at all. But I may be mistaken on that.
    From what I've read in the past, it's going to take place between the end of WC3 and the beginning of WoW.