Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    If they use an avatar approach, the only ones that won't be animated are the humans, and maybe some dwarves. Orcs, trolls, tauren, gnomes, night elves, blood elves, all races that you can't really work without some good level of CGI

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    If they use an avatar approach, the only ones that won't be animated are the humans, and maybe some dwarves. Orcs, trolls, tauren, gnomes, night elves, blood elves, all races that you can't really work without some good level of CGI
    indeed i hate the idea of suits and animatronics simply because:1) for the most part look obnoxious. 2) don't bring the level of realism to them as say a pure CGI character (yes i know they are still fake but at least with a computer animated face i see expressions)

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Shark View Post
    eh im sure i'm not the only one that wants a blizz cinematic thats two hours or more in length (point being no live actors in site). I am very against using suits or animatronics for the other races, i want to see emotion "acting" from any none human character. and in my book anything less then CGI doesn't cut it.
    I'd agree, CGI would be the best route to go in my opinion but the nature of the CGI is what I ponder. 1/2 cartoony, 1/2 realistic would be the best route to go for me; in keeping with their ethos regarding the graphics of WoW too; in that they never look 'that' serious, even where the story of WoW is. Beowulf and films like it struck a good balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    I'd agree, CGI would be the best route to go in my opinion but the nature of the CGI is what I ponder. 1/2 cartoony, 1/2 realistic would be the best route to go for me; in keeping with their ethos regarding the graphics of WoW too; in that they never look 'that' serious, even where the story of WoW is. Beowulf and films like it struck a good balance.
    the good thing i will say is that its hard for a giant green man with tusks to come of as "too real".

Eyes not included, you could probably get away with elves using cosmetics, and I think Orcs too. They're all basically humans with glowy eyes and pointy ears.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

eh im sure i'm not the only one that wants a blizz cinematic thats two hours or more in length (point being no live actors in site). I am very against using suits or animatronics for the other races, i want to see emotion "acting" from any none human character. and in my book anything less then CGI doesn't cut it.
    I agree that would be incredible. I know every time I've finished watching the expansion trailers I just wish they went 5 minutes longer. However, considering a 2-3 minute CGI trailer (like we saw for MoP) literally takes 6 months+ to do I'm pretty sure a full length 140 minute film would take in the region of 8-10 years to do. Now granted they would have much bigger teams working on the film, but still, I'm just not sure it's doable. Certainly not in the 2 year time frame the article mentioned.

Deleted
    considering Blizzards skill in making CGI then I would expect it to be a Heavily reliant on CGI

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Eyes not included, you could probably get away with elves using cosmetics, and I think Orcs too. They're all basically humans with glowy eyes and pointy ears.
    orcs are massively buff humanoids. They weren't the messy lord of the rings characters we saw there. elves maybe, but I kind of see the elves in wow as to slender for humans to represent.

Quote Originally Posted by Torunscar View Post
    I agree that would be incredible. I know every time I've finished watching the expansion trailers I just wish they went 5 minutes longer. However, considering a 2-3 minute CGI trailer (like we saw for MoP) literally takes 6 months+ to do I'm pretty sure a full length 140 minute film would take in the region of 8-10 years to do. Now granted they would have much bigger teams working on the film, but still, I'm just not sure it's doable. Certainly not in the 2 year time frame the article mentioned.
    well it will depend on how big the team will be and to what amount of detail they mean to go into on the CGI. i don't know the size of the blizz cinematic team but give them the budget and the manpower and im sure they can narrow it down to......3 years.

Deleted
    Really like the new choice for the director, hope this film does well as that way we may get more adaptations like it, Starcraft springs to mind lol

10+ Year Old Account
    indeed i hate the idea of suits and animatronics simply because:1) for the most part look obnoxious. 2) don't bring the level of realism to them as say a pure CGI character (yes i know they are still fake but at least with a computer animated face i see expressions)
    just considering how well they did the characters in avatar and how human they were, even as tall blue aliens, I have no issue with full on CGI. All they do is take actors to be the part of these fictional characters, map the CGI model with the actor, both movements and facial animations, and then animate it though CGI. Thats why Gollum was such a well realized character in lord of the rings.

and that was like a decade ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    Too cartoony for WoW, I thought it was common opinion that WoW is already rather cartoony lol.
    WoW is cartoony almost by definition. If you read about how they made the game, you'll find out they intentionally made it lively and cartoony.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post
    I hope it's animated. If it's live action it'll look awful.
    i agree 10000000000000 times. If its not animated, i think it will hurt warcraft as a whole =/
    "BC was a hot chick that took alot of work but was rewarding in the end, Cata is the drunk chick that supplied similar results with less effort." -couldnt have said it better.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Give up trying to understand her, women tend to handle problems with emotion rather than logic.

Deleted
    Not really, take a look at Final Fantasy The Spirits within

it took 4 years and 960 workstations, and 200 employee's to make. This was nearly a decade ago. Since then computers have gotten faster and cheaper I would imagine it would take about half that time now to produce a CGI movie of a similar quality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    WoW is cartoony almost by definition. If you read about how they made the game, you'll find out they intentionally made it lively and cartoony.
    Agreed, thats the charm of wow, that its clearly an animated universe with a war theme around it, of the characters only one race is human, but we look for what makes them feel human in our own relative way.

well it will depend on how big the team will be and to what amount of detail they mean to go into on the CGI. i don't know the size of the blizz cinematic team but give them the budget and the manpower and im sure they can narrow it down to......3 years.
    I read that it takes Pixar anywhere between 4-7 years to create and render their fully animated films. I'm not sure if the animation tech is different to what Blizzard use but I'm sure their production teams are huge.

just considering how well they did the characters in avatar and how human they were, even as tall blue aliens, I have no issue with full on CGI. All they do is take actors to be the part of these fictional characters, map the CGI model with the actor, both movements and facial animations, and then animate it though CGI. Thats why Gollum was such a well realized character in lord of the rings.
    yep, go the route of beowulf, avatar, purely on how the "acting" is done with real people but add on the CGI component. we've seen how far this technology has come and to see WoW done avatar style would do justice to allot of things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    Silent Hill?
    First one had its cool moments and a really nice soundtrack. Meh, all around. The second one was just an abdomiation. Of course if you mean financially successful, the 2nd made like 30M, which is solid, but plot-wise it was just /raspppppp.
    Look! Words!

Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    Since when has video game adaptations been successful in films

I dont have high hopes for this but i will watch it and hope its not as bad as that Dungeons and Dragons movie a while back
    Super Mario Bros. is one of the best movies of all time.
    Stormrage US | Aesryn

I read that it takes Pixar anywhere between 4-7 years to create and render their fully animated films. I'm not sure if the animation tech is different to what Blizzard use but I'm sure their production teams are huge.
    keep in mind that they have MULTIPLE projects going on over at pixar. I'm sure that people working there spend a few hours working on one film but then have to go and work on another if not another after that in the same day. that's why we can some times see multiple Pixar releases within the span of a year.