Thread: Valor Spending

Valor Spending

This is not really a priest only question but my main character happens to be a Priest http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Sarnaxx/simple. With the idea that upgrading items through valor will be disabled in 5.2, would it make sense to upgrade as many items that I don't think I will instantly replace then use my valor to buy upgrades once 5.2 hits and there is no more upgrading?

I only just began raiding through LFR and am still in some blue gear which will obviously be replaced as I get LFR drops.

Does anyone have some insight into this topic?

Thanks.

Deleted
    They usually convert valor into justice when a new tier is realeased, so go ahead and upgrade whichever items makes the most sense to you. Ponder which items you probably won't replace until next patch, like the Sha-Touched mace or any ilvl 483 gear you have (if you're only doing LFR).

Items with more stats will benefit more from upgrading, so a robe for example will get more bonus stats than gloves or a ring would.

Think of it in terms of item levels. Since your armory indicates you have a large number of LFR/463 items it will be more of an upgrade if you spend you valor on items especially getting the 496 items from the 5.1 factions.

Look at it this way
    If you fully upgrade your 476 main hand it costs 1500 valor and gives you 8 items levels (now a 484 item). If you replace your 458 trinket with the 496 trinket from the 5.1 faction you get an upgrade of 38 item levels for 1650 valor.

Clearly you are getting a more significant upgrade to you character rather than upgrading an item. Unless there is literally no upgrades from the 496/489 valor gear left the upgrade system is not worth it as you will see a more significant increase your character by buying the new items.

Markle, I see what you are saying but let me ask you this. If they remove valor upgrading of 476 epic items in 5.2, I will have a good bit of time where I will only be able to purchase epic valor gear with no option of spending the valor on upgrading because it is not active. Am I over thinking this? I guess you are probably correct that I should just got for the biggest impact to my iLvl ... then I can start on the second half of LFR which will open up even more opportunities for upgrades.

Decisions, decisions...

The upgrade is there for BiS items or near-BiS items you know you won't be replacing for a long time, neither of which applies to any of the gear you have. Don't waste your valor on upgrading LFR gear when there are literally a dozen pieces you can replace with valor gear. It really shouldn't even be a question.

And they are removing upgrades in 5.2, but they're also adding a new raid that drops ilvl 503 gear in LFR as well as a new faction with new valor gear.
    Last edited by blargh312; 2013-01-31 at 08:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karragon View Post
    I'd like WoW to be a single player game

Quote Originally Posted by Sarnaxxx View Post
    Markle, I see what you are saying but let me ask you this. If they remove valor upgrading of 476 epic items in 5.2, I will have a good bit of time where I will only be able to purchase epic valor gear with no option of spending the valor on upgrading because it is not active. Am I over thinking this? I guess you are probably correct that I should just got for the biggest impact to my iLvl ... then I can start on the second half of LFR which will open up even more opportunities for upgrades.

Decisions, decisions...
    Once 5.2 hits the valor upgrades will be removed but there will be new 500 ilvl valor gear and new lfr gear that will be a higher ilvl than even you upgraded 476 -> 484 lfr gear.

Long story short the guy above me nailed it unless it is a heroic BiS or near BiS piece and there is literally no upgrades from the valor gear, then and only than is the upgrade system worth it. The system was implemented for raiders that had nothing to spend their valor on (i.e no upgrades from items) and were hitting the cap.

---------- Post added 2013-01-31 at 03:37 PM ----------

Also keep in mind that they may reintroduce valor upgrades in 5.3 if it is another non-raid teir.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Markle View Post
    Once 5.2 hits the valor upgrades will be removed but there will be new 500 ilvl valor gear and new lfr gear that will be a higher ilvl than even you upgraded 476 -> 484 lfr gear.
    Nooo... Npc will be gone but items with upgrades will stay with us even in 5.2 ;p