10+ Year Old Account

Garalon swipes and Feint

So, I tried to feint tank the swipes today(not so hot) and noticed that feint was not reducing the damage at all. The only reduction I was getting was from armor. When I used elusiveness it reduced it and glyphed cloak also reduced it, but standard feint did not.

Does the swipe not count as AoE?

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed, it's counted as a directed attack. Presumably to stop us from doing just this

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugajak View Post
    Indeed, it's counted as a directed attack. Presumably to stop us from doing just this
    I'm to infer this was a hotfix after feint tanking it became a common thing?

Well that explains why I was getting walloped for 220K+ damage. Looks like I get to play the dirty dog and just hump legs all fight.

If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.

Deleted
    Like the other say it doesn't count as AOE damage. But given that you have two tanks, having at least one of them in DPS gear helps, and frees you to cleave double the amount of legs - overall, a superior strategy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachtobi View Post
    Like the other say it doesn't count as AOE damage. But given that you have two tanks, having at least one of them in DPS gear helps, and frees you to cleave double the amount of legs - overall, a superior strategy.
    Yeah we have a feral and a dk. So the DK should be blood spec but DPS gear?

As for cleaves, I stay mut for it. The legs die so fast that 85% of the time is spent on the boss. That and my combat weps are trash tier.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saegno View Post
    Yeah we have a feral and a dk. So the DK should be blood spec but DPS gear?

As for cleaves, I stay mut for it. The legs die so fast that 85% of the time is spent on the boss. That and my combat weps are trash tier.
    Or even frost specced in Blood Presence. Howling Blast is pretty darn solid on this fight. But it's something to tune depending on how healers cope.

You really should be on cleave duty (=combat), and those without cleave should stay on boss. In my guild a frost DK and myself are on legs and everyone else on his body, calling out if we need assistance (diagonal spawns etc.). Overall, Garalon dies faster that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still see others saying it works with normal feint. Does it require feint up prior to the animation even starting?

Afaik, swipe is a normal boss attack and not an AE so if you want to minimize the damage you get, take Elusiveness talent. If you are tanking, ofc.
    Pugs are like Master Card---- Priceless.

The boss's swipe mechanic (the thing the tanks are supposed to "soak") is considered his normal melee attacks, so Feint doesn't affect it's damage unless you have Elusiveness on. (in which case it's only 30% reduction, and still not worth the Rogue tanking it)
    Last edited by Carp The Fish; 2013-01-31 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Clarifying Elusiveness talent choice
    Carp - Illidan-US
    I wish I wish I was a fish.
    My rogue

Did they hotfix this? I could have sworn feint was working the first week.

I feint-tank the fight every week on normal on my rogue's two-night-a-week 10 man raid. We do this because the warrior tank is excellent on cleaving the legs down in his dps spec and we get more overall raid dps with 1 tank / 6 dps than with 2 tanks... So, even though I'm losing a bit of DPS because of feint tanking, it's an overall dps gain for our raid.

I take the elusiveness talent and the feint glyph. I also get symbiosis if we've got a druid in the raid. Untalented feint does no damage reduction, but the talent works just fine. The other raid talent in the tier is leeching poison which is meh.. I'm getting lifebloom and of love from the healers and I activate Growl (symbiosis) whenever the druid is kiting pheremones to help save my ass while he has LB on himself. Evade also works well when you're in a pinch when you need an extra CD. Cloak works when the kiter's stacks are getting high before a switch. I also take prep (when I remember) for the fight to get an extra mitigation CD or two.

I've stopped swapping to combat for the fight this past week.. I don't get enough cleave time, I'm mut reforged, and my combat weapons are meh.
    Last edited by Kurobara; 2013-01-31 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurobara View Post
    I feint-tank the fight every week on normal
    Well that's why you're able to do it. On Heroic, the DPS requirement (even on farm it's still cutting it close on the enrage timer) is significantly higher and it'd be more beneficial to actually provide that cleave damage as opposed to "tanking".
    Carp - Illidan-US
    I wish I wish I was a fish.
    My rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Carp The Fish View Post
    Well that's why you're able to do it. On Heroic, the DPS requirement (even on farm it's still cutting it close on the enrage timer) is significantly higher and it'd be more beneficial to actually provide that cleave damage as opposed to "tanking".
    Err... I don't understand this. I would assume a combat rogue standing in front of Garalon would deal more damage than a blood DK, bear druid, prot warrior, or prot paladin. A rogue tank is higher dps than these other options, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Carp The Fish View Post
    I don't think that is the reason you don't do it on heroic. It should still be a raid dps increase to not use a real tank as their dps isn't that great on this fight due to not amassing a stupid amount of vengeance. I think the reason you don't do it is because the thing hits for 800k which is borderline 1 shotting you through elusiveness feint and armor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou View Post
    I don't think that is the reason you don't do it on heroic. It should still be a raid dps increase to not use a real tank as their dps isn't that great on this fight due to not amassing a stupid amount of vengeance. I think the reason you don't do it is because the thing hits for 800k which is borderline 1 shotting you through elusiveness feint and armor.
    This exactly. If it counted as an AoE cone, eating only 35% of that 800k (after armor reduction - ~200k) would be fine (you'd take less pheromone damage than the other tank!), and having a tank run 120k+ would be an EXCELLENT boost to your DPS capacity, but it's just not really feasible to heal through a rogue tanking H Garalon (for most progression groups who care about their DPS and are limiting healer count).