Page 1 of 106
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

[Megathread] Playstation 4 Discussion

Please for the love of gaming, don't start a console flame war here. This is for positive discussion about the event and the potential (official) announcement of the next-gen hardware.

For those interested in Xbox One, we have another Megathread for that, use it.

PlayStation 4 - Release Date & Price
    North America - $399, November 15
    Europe - €399, November 29
    United Kingdom - £349, November 29

Everywhere else, don't know yet.

PlayStation 3 - Price Drop
    North America - 12gb, $199, available now
    Europe - 12gb, €199, available now

Other Random Notes
    - PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita remote play - if someone wants to watch TV, continue your game on the Vita.
    Last edited by Anshinritsumai; 2013-08-20 at 06:50 PM.

Deleted
    Maybe the new controller will have touchscreen functionality on the backside or something, like the backside of the PS Vita?

**Puts on tin foil hat (wal-mart brand)**

--Watch the video in slow-mo, at 0:11 there is a subliminal "4"
    --There are 4 symbols on the screen (albeit they are the standard PlayStation symbols, the decided to show them even though we all know what they look like)
    --The date 2/20, 2+2+0=4
    --The video is 0:44 long. Why not 43? 45? Why not 30 seconds?

**Takes off tin-foil hat**

10+ Year Old Account
    No dual shock... damn man, one of the best controller designs ever.

Hmm I was under the Impression that Sony was content (foolishly, imo) to let MS announce and release first once again. I'm excited to see how the announced specs match up to the rumored specs, and I'm interested in their next controller design. Hopefully they move to larger controllers, the dual-shocks are just too small for my old man (relatively) hands.

15+ Year Old Account
    The whole changing the design of the controller comes from the fact that Sony licenses the vibration function from another company, and wants to get rid of it and use their own vibration tech for the controllers so they don't have to license it from another company. Since I've grown accustomed to the DualShock design since the PS1, I hope that in the end they keep the same general design, but make them bigger and heavier as those were my only two complaints.

It's an interesting move not to announce it at E3, if they do announce the PS4 on the 20th. Guess they want to spend E3 talking about features and games. Smart.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    I don't like it. It's so light and it feels like it barely holds itself together. Also the analog sticks have no resistance whatsoever, and the new shoulder buttons are so awkward to press down(the lower ones that is).

Slightly off topic, but what i think a good idea for the next gen PS4 / Nextbox, is to have easily interchangeable hardware. (Needs to be really easy, simple unplug / plug and play type).

Imagine if every year / 2 years they bring out a new graphics card sold as the new "current gen" PS4 graphics card, with heavily updated specs, you can then buy that and change it with the current graphics card, at the rate at which hardware improves, having something that is not upgradeable is outdated within a few months.

This theory could be applied to Ram/graphics cards/hard drives (already been done).

I know this does increase the long term cost of the console, which does oppose to the design philosophy of a once off payment gaming system, but it will increase the lifespan of the consoles.

Another problem is eventually certain games will be released stating things like "Requires 2nd generation Graphics card or higher", which could cause problems with people. It should be made where everything works well with the base system, but if you want to, you can upgrade your console.

I just think the theory is something they could play around with.
    {◕ ◡ ◕}

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    If you have small hands ...

Quote Originally Posted by Grantji View Post
    If you have small hands ...
    Got to agree, the PS3/2 controllers always felt tiny in my hands, had to use a semi claw-grip to get the shoulder buttons and couldn't stretch my fingers at all.

Deleted
    i hope you'll be able to play PS3 games on the PS4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duranox View Post
    i hope you'll be able to play PS3 games on the PS4
    They would be stupid not to allow this at first, launch titles will be limited and people would have built up a large collection over the years. I can't wait to see what they announce.

Very interested in the event, but I'll probably go for the new xbox instead. It kind of all depends what the majority of my friends do , but if you look back, the Sony systems start at a very high pricetag.

Nevertheless, as a technology geek I'm gonna check it out on the 20th. Also I'm expecting a touchscreen on the controller or as a seperate option (maybe like xbox smartglass).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MMOTotal View Post
    They would be stupid not to allow this at first, launch titles will be limited and people would have built up a large collection over the years. I can't wait to see what they announce.
    I highly doubt it. With all the rumors about "ending used game sales" why would they allow you to play free games on your new system? I feel it's quite possible they will make you pay for PS3 digital downloads. Own a PS3 game or Xbox 360 game? Want to play it on your new gen console? Download it from our store! For Full Release Price! Even though it is 4 years old, and you own a physical copy, and have saved data on your old machine.

---------- Post added 2013-02-01 at 04:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Condemner View Post
    Very interested in the event, but I'll probably go for the new xbox instead. It kind of all depends what the majority of my friends do , but if you look back, the Sony systems start at a very high pricetag.

Nevertheless, as a technology geek I'm gonna check it out on the 20th. Also I'm expecting a touchscreen on the controller or as a separate option (maybe like xbox smartglass).
    I'm definitely buying both. No sense in missing out on great games that are exclusive to either or. I'll prolly get the one with the better release titles first. Followed shortly (few months) with buying the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Anshinritsumai View Post
    - Sony's looking to not repeat the same hardware mistake with another "Cell" processor, and is going with an AMD chip.
    Unless i'm understanding this wrong, does this mean no compatibility with PS3 games?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RevanSparda View Post
    Unless i'm understanding this wrong, does this mean no compatibility with PS3 games?
    It would be unfortunate, but it's a possibility. From what media is reporting, they're wanting to make it easier on devs this time around, which likely means software emulation or no backwards compatibility at all for PS3 games =/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anshinritsumai View Post
    It would be unfortunate, but it's a possibility. From what media is reporting, they're wanting to make it easier on devs this time around, which likely means software emulation or no backwards compatibility at all for PS3 games =/
    Emulation is software based, as per the PS3 running PS2 games.

The announcement will either be a former acknowledge of the PS4, no release day or anything just lifting the codename phase.

The fate of the DualShock controller. They've hinted at changing it but remember they also said that when the PS3 was coming out. I actually like the DualShock. They could change the triggers and the size though. Also the formal announcing of the Vita being used similar to the Wii U controller (they've been experimenting with it).

Changes being made to PSN and PS+. They've been working on PSN a lot during the past months and its almost getting to the point where is simply hindered by the PS3s aging memory. PS+ has been ridiculously successful. EU is getting freaking Sleeping Dogs in February, thats insane. I can only see the two growing and they have been hinting at that with they way they've been pushing update.

Also if you own a PS3, you can now access the PSN store from your browser, its a lot faster than during it from the PS3.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com
    Last edited by PACOX; 2013-02-01 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crableg View Post
    Slightly off topic, but what i think a good idea for the next gen PS4 / Nextbox, is to have easily interchangeable hardware. (Needs to be really easy, simple unplug / plug and play type).
    Will never happen. These consoles are designed to be standardized and tightly controlled. If we saw any kind of modularity in any big consoles (except Steambox), I'd eat my hat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Will never happen. These consoles are designed to be standardized and tightly controlled. If we saw any kind of modularity in any big consoles (except Steambox), I'd eat my hat.
    Hmmm i dont know, with the consoles lasting about 10 years (by the time they stop making them) it wouldnt surprise me, so long as the original specs could play all games and the upgrades were just speed/graphics upgrades. The parts you could swap out would need to be regulated though. I dont think we will see it for ps4 though.

I hope they keep the 6axis/dualshock, i have big hands and it fits me perfectly, apart from if im needing to use all 4 trigger buttons at once. Though so long as they keep it symetrical i guess i wouldnt mind, couldnt stand the xbox controllers.