Page 46 of 80 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    If we were to search this forum ALONE, I wonder how many threads and posts about "PC Gone Wild!" and "Reverse Racism" and how "white people can't be proud to be white because they'll be automatically called racist" there are. Compared to any threads and posts simply complaining about "whites being racist", I'd wager the difference wouldn't even be comparable, with the last example being almost miniscule.

"White people are the only ones that can handle racism", my arse.

LOL! Next up: "The Easter Bunny is real!"
    Last edited by Booshman; 2013-02-01 at 03:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Booshman View Post
    LOL! If they could handle it, then this thread and the 50 million daily clones of it all across the internet that are complaining about "reverse racism" wouldn't exist.
    I laughed heartily. I'm white, I don't complain, I think I'm too educated, open-minded and experienced.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    I laughed heartily. I'm white, I don't complain, I think I'm too educated, open-minded and experienced.
    Then I salute you bro, as you're in the solid and realistic majority of white folks who have no problem with seeing the big picture. You're not a part of the spoiled, over-dramatic, vocal, miniscule, and increasingly irrelevant off-shoot of white society, that engages in "opportunistic outrage", while failing to see the forest for the trees.
    Last edited by Booshman; 2013-02-01 at 04:36 AM.

No, it's just an acknowledgement that the economic system of school districts require a taxbase. If wealthy whites (who have had all the advantages already) leave and suck out the money, the leftovers (regardless of race) are screwed.
    As I see it the education systems is made up of a few parts.

Money
    Teachers
    Parents
    Students

While money is the most important part by its self as whole if you combine teachers, parents, and students working together you can reduce the impact that having a low budget has on the students. But in a lot of poorer schools systems the teachers don't care or only focus on the brightest of students leave the slower ones to themselves. We have parents that either do not care about their child's grades/ behavior or turn a blind eye to it. They also do not support their PTAs or anything that may help their child school. Lastly you have the students who grow up in an environment that does not push education as much as they push for sports. So when they have a low bar set for them they do no strive to achieve something more only to meet the status quo.

If you look at schools in more affluent neighborhoods you will see that poorer schools are not just lacking in funding but many other things as well.

Race and SES are not the same, but they are strongly tied. It doesn't mean the people left cannot succeed, it means they have it intrinsically harder to succeed.
    It is even harder to succeed when you give up before you have even really tried.

This is a six of one, half-a-dozen of another situation. The government should be pumping money into these neighbourhoods, giving the best schooling and healthcare to give them a sound basis to succeed and creating the positive cycle the suburbs generally experiences. Instead, the issues are that the areas never had good funding and are stuck in a cycle of poverty. Grandparents may never have gone to school and parents may have dropped out to work to support the family - they may not know the value of education - for example.
    I don't complete agree with this. My mother's parents did not know how to read or write because their families deem them too black to get an education but they made sure their child knew the value of an education. My mother grew up dirt poor in the south spending days eating nothing but beans in the morning, for lunch, and for dinner. She was a product of school busing because the school closest to her was a whites only school and because of that she wanted better for her children. So my mom pushed us to succeed in life, she exposed us to things that she felt would enhance us. Like knowing the difference between a salad fork and a dinner fork. Because she had all girls she told us to take ourselves out to nice places to eat and to buy ourselves nice things so we would not think we need a man to do that for us. My dad never knew his dad so he tried his best to be there for us and to give us love so we knew what the love of a father was.

So I cannot completely agree with your statement because to me it reeks of excuses when there are none in this day and age.

I encourage my students to think for themselves, value education and work hard too though. One can't rely upon a pity party forever. But to suggest that blacks and Hispanics who struggle don't even have good reasons that they do, and that we should ignore reality is also wrong. There's no right balance between individual success and societal screwing-over where there's a line in the sand. People are all different.
    I am not saying that some who struggle do not have a good reason to but lets not gloss over the fact that most do not have a good reason. That the poor choices they have made and to an extent their parents made is the reason for the problems they face today. There is enough problems with just being black sometimes but you don't need to add having a criminal record it, speaking poorly, or not knowing how to read. Ignoring the part we play in our own situation is not and has not helped black people.

Now don't get me wrong I will go to bat for things like AA and anything else that will help minorities but I am not going to sit here and pretend that we are not also making it harder for ourselves. We have to stop using things like growing up poor or in the ghetto/ projects as a valid reason why our lives are the way they are. Those are cop outs plain and simple when black history is full of black people that had it far worst then what we have it now and it did not hold them back.

Every race can be subjugated to racism. No one is above this.

No it isn't. It's reality. White people predominantly write the tests and it's for white kids - various subcultures do not think the same way or know the same examples. Of course plenty of black kids can pass tests, but they have to work much harder for it, leading to a disenfranchised educational group who drop out and cause a vicious cycle.

I don't know, sounds like something you've made up. I asked for a racial and gender NEUTRAL education system, which applies to everyone regardless of race or gender (etc.) The fact you think that the Chinese should do math, blacks "do" athletics and white women cooking shows your thought processes.
    You shouldn't be teaching children if you think that. You talk the most racist stuff in the whole thread. You say "various subcultures do not think the same way" which is the very definition of racism. The fact you think tests are made for "white kids" shows your own thought process.

Questionable.
    Last edited by Cybran; 2013-02-01 at 08:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    You shouldn't be teaching children if you think that. You talk the most racist stuff in the whole thread. You say "various subcultures do not think the same way" which is the very definition of racism. The fact you think tests are made for "white kids" shows your own thought process.
    No, it's racism if:

A) You think subcultures imply races.
    B) You think races are inherently inferior
    C) You think members of a subgroup are all the same.
    D) You misunderstand educational theory.

I don't do any of these. I just know how minds work, especially adolescents. Psychology and anthropology were parts of my Masters.

I already posted evidence that tests are, indeed, racist with no counter-argument, so I'm assuming that point is confirmed.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.

I already posted evidence that tests are, indeed, racist with no counter-argument, so I'm assuming that point is confirmed.
    You said that tests are made for "white kids". This implies that white kids and other color kids think differently which is the definition of racism. All your evidence was 2-3 posts where you said "trust me i have experience" and "it would be too long to post here so just take my word for it"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    You said that tests are made for "white kids". This implies that white kids and other color kids think differently which is the definition of racism. All your evidence was 2-3 posts where you said "trust me i have experience" and "it would be too long to post here so just take my word for it"
    No it isn't. It's psychologically proven that culture plays a significant part in the development of the mind.

It'd also only be racist if one way of thinking was "right," which is patently false. They just differ.

You didn't read the article, fine. But all the evidence is there.

Deleted
    No, it's racism if:

A) You think subcultures imply races.
    B) You think races are inherently inferior
    C) You think members of a subgroup are all the same.
    D) You misunderstand educational theory.

I don't do any of these. I just know how minds work, especially adolescents. Psychology and anthropology were parts of my Masters.

You didn't post evidence.
    You posted a book about one side of the antropological debate that's going about black-white test gap. I looked at your link and found out the subject is still being discussed.
    No counter argument?

Edit: shite-white Damn you iPhone
    Last edited by mmocea043e1e13; 2013-02-01 at 08:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    You didn't post evidence.
    You posted a book about one side of the antropological debate that's going about black-shite test gap. I looked at your link and found out the subject is still being discussed.
    No counter argument?
    That's not a "counter-argument." That's you not presenting any evidence. Like I told you, blatantly obvious things are still being discussed.

Make an argument, with evidence.

Deleted
    That's not a "counter-argument." That's you not presenting any evidence. Like I told you, blatantly obvious things are still being discussed.

Make an argument, with evidence.
    Ah well

Researchers have not reached consensus about the a priori causes of the academic achievement gap; instead, there exists a wide range of studies that cite an array of factors, both cultural and structural, that influence student performance in school. Annette Lareau suggested that students who lack middle-class cultural capital and have limited parental involvement are likely to have lower academic achievement than their better resourced peers.[1] Other researchers suggest that academic achievement is more closely tied to race and socioeconomic status and have tried to pinpoint why.[2] For example, being raised in a low-income family often means having fewer educational resources in addition to poor nutrition and limited access to health care, all of which could contribute to lower academic performance. Researchers concerned with the achievement gap between genders cite biological differences, such as brain structure and development, as a possible reason why one gender outperforms the other in certain subjects. For example, a Virginia Tech Study conducted in 2000 examined the brains of 508 children and found that different areas of the brain develop in a different sequence in girls compared to boys.[3] The differing maturation speed of the brain between boys and girls affects how each gender processes information and could have implications for how they perform in school.[4] Hernstein and Murray claimed in The Bell Curve,[5] creating much controversy, that genetic variation in average levels of intelligence (IQ) are at the root of racial disparities in achievement. Other researchers have argued that there is no significant difference in inherent cognitive ability between different races that could help to explain the achievement gap, and that environment is at the root of the issue.[6][7][8]

10+ Year Old Account
    Researchers have not reached consensus about the a priori causes of the academic achievement gap; instead, there exists a wide range of studies that cite an array of factors, both cultural and structural, that influence student performance in school. Annette Lareau suggested that students who lack middle-class cultural capital and have limited parental involvement are likely to have lower academic achievement than their better resourced peers.[1] Other researchers suggest that academic achievement is more closely tied to race and socioeconomic status and have tried to pinpoint why.[2] For example, being raised in a low-income family often means having fewer educational resources in addition to poor nutrition and limited access to health care, all of which could contribute to lower academic performance. Researchers concerned with the achievement gap between genders cite biological differences, such as brain structure and development, as a possible reason why one gender outperforms the other in certain subjects. For example, a Virginia Tech Study conducted in 2000 examined the brains of 508 children and found that different areas of the brain develop in a different sequence in girls compared to boys.[3] The differing maturation speed of the brain between boys and girls affects how each gender processes information and could have implications for how they perform in school.[4] Hernstein and Murray claimed in The Bell Curve,[5] creating much controversy, that genetic variation in average levels of intelligence (IQ) are at the root of racial disparities in achievement. Other researchers have argued that there is no significant difference in inherent cognitive ability between different races that could help to explain the achievement gap, and that environment is at the root of the issue.[6][7][8]
    Nearly everything I've said so far is in that blurb. Thanks for supporting me and agreeing

Deleted
    Personally, I'd blame socio economic issues instead of "white men writing tests for white boys".
    Such issues CAN be tied to a racial discussion but only indirectly.

---------- Post added 2013-02-01 at 09:07 AM ----------

Nearly everything I've said so far is in that blurb. Thanks for supporting me and agreeing
    Oh god

Researchers have not reached consensus about the a priori causes of the academic achievement gap; instead, there exists a wide range of studies that cite an array of factors, both cultural and structural, that influence student performance in school

Researchers have not reached consensus about the a priori causes of the academic achievement gap; instead, there exists a wide range of studies that cite an array of factors, both cultural and structural, that influence student performance in school

------
    Want more?

So no your "evidence" is nothing, is merely ONE side of an ongoing debate.
    Mate for a teacher you have poor reading skills.

Infracted: Please refrain from repeating the same thing all over again, it only serves to piss off the other side and is considered as trolling and flame baiting.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-02-01 at 08:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    But then it goes onto say it plays a part. Read the bold. IT PLAYS A PART.

We don't know the whole story, but we do know that all these factors PLAY A PART as I've ALREADY SAID.

Now stop trolling by copy/pasting.

[1] Other researchers suggest that academic achievement is more closely tied to race and socioeconomic status and have tried to pinpoint why
    Jolly good.

http://diverseeducation.com/article/49830/ - Christ, it's worse than I thought.
    Last edited by Zhangfei; 2013-02-01 at 09:19 AM.

It's extremely possible to racist to white people, and very common. They simply don't make a big deal out of it, like it's okay or expected. Personally I think it's pretty sad that people just put up with it. I hate racism in any form.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I'm going go out on a limb here and assume everyone here has agreed that racism doesn't have a colour preference.

Deleted

We don't know the whole story, but we do know that all these factors PLAY A PART as I've ALREADY SAID.

Jolly good.

You surely have guts ill give you that.

You provided a link. It referred to a book. You said that was the reason behind black white tests score gap.
    I checked it, I checked the matter being discussed and I've found out YOUR "reason behind the gap" is only ONE side of the ongoin debate.
    I provided evidence on this.
    (Researchers have not reached consensus about the a priori causes of the academic achievement gap; instead, there exists a wide range of studies that cite an array of factors, both cultural and structural, that influence student performance in school)
    And you come back saying you're right and I'm trolling.

You know what, I have better things to do. Unfortunately reasonin with you is not possible. Ill let you play your mind games.
    Oh and make sure you win ALL your Internet battles! Doesn't matter if you're right or wrong. The important thing is winning em all!!!
    \o/ \o/ \o/

Adieu

For me, grossly and consistently unequal outcomes almost always prove racist intent. The annual outcome of Whites out-scoring Blacks on the SAT demonstrates intent, proves the test is biased. I do not need evidence that shows racist intent. The outcome, for me, is enough.
    This is where i realized this article is pure garbage.

Jolly good.

could you please give an example of a "black question" then an example of a "white question" because i want to see the difference, cut the bullshit and show us one of each questions as an example
    also the article you linked first dosn't prove what your saying, the next is some consipracry theory that "requires no evidence"