Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Tomorrow is my sister's 18th birthday. What should I buy her?

I'm hopeless... I don't know what to buy her.
    My problem is that I don't know my sister at all. We don't talk much (or rather, at all...), we don't even see each other that much since I've moved out from home ~3 years ago.
    A little bit info about her...
    She's vegetarian.
    She's really good at school. Her Abitur is 1.6.
    Her biggest hobby is photographing.
    She has a boyfriend.
    She's not that much into styling.
    I think she likes bowling.
    She loves going on concerts, but I'm not sure what kind of music she likes. Facebook says she likes Placebo, Johnny Cash, Daft Punk, Muse, Deichkind, Maeckes, Rise against...

Wow... this made me realize how sad my connection to my sister actually is... anyway, any suggestions?
    I thought about buying her a nice vacation to Italy for her and her boyfriend for a few days but that's most likely nothing my parents will agree to.

I bought her an indoor skydiving ticket. I hope she's going to like it
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2013-02-01 at 06:42 PM.

Deleted
    Buy her lots of booze.

Deleted
    How about a video camera. If she likes photographing, she could use it to make both photos and movies. Also get her some books if she likes reading about subjects she likes.
    Also write her something nice.

A book on veggie cooking or photography.

Edit: Hah, beat to it by Arnorei
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Buy her lots of booze.
    She's my fathers angel. If he finds out I bought her a magnum XXL bottle of Tequila I can kiss my ass goodbye.

---------- Post added 2013-02-01 at 03:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    How about a video camera. If she likes photographing, she could use it to make both photos and movies. Also get her some books if she likes reading about subjects she likes.
    Also write her something nice.
    She also has a highly expensive cam. Nothing I can afford would be better than what she already has. I though maybe a book about photographing would be nice, but somehow cheap.

Deleted
    Condoms.

Could even go ribbed if you're feeling generous!

10+ Year Old Account
    There's nothing that springs to mind; but if you take a look at www.firebox.com there's usually always something cool/funny/relevant on there no matter who it is you're buying for.

http://www.firebox.com/product/5323/...ints?via=chart ?
    Kanx - Protection Warrior (Armory)

10+ Year Old Account
    Something photography related. Maybe a print or 2 from somewhere like White House Custom Color so that she can display her photos?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

15+ Year Old Account
    She like to go bowling?
    Well Sir then it is easy, buy her a square bowling ball.

That ought to keep her occupied for quite some time. Nothing like gifts that lasts
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

WHAT THE FUCK??? did you break her boyfriends jaw or something. Why do you feel you need to buy her a fucking vacation?

Buy a book.

Give her a photograph of a cabbage using headphones.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    She also has a highly expensive cam. Nothing I can afford would be better than what she already has. I though maybe a book about photographing would be nice, but somehow cheap.
    ok, then you need to buy more little things and pile them up.
    Get a book about photography, get her a book about another favourite subject. Check if any of those bands she likes has launched an album recently, get that. Get her a box of chocolates too, and...

you know what, if you want to make her a gift a trip with her boyfriend somewhere, why not do that? Your parents don't need to know, she'll be an adult now, she should be allowed to do what she likes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Edinburgh, Scotland. You know, that place with the castle.

ALCOHOLALCOHOLALCOHOLALCOHOLALCOHOLALCOHOLALCOHOL

Alcohol.

If you're worried about your Dad being pissed off, then buy her classy alcohol. A nice bottle of wine or something. Something...classy. But still alcohol.

Give her all your cash. A penny in the hand is worth more than a gift on the shelf.

10+ Year Old Account
    Flavored condoms.

Hmmm, maybe not. Maybe get her a nice massage session.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Flavored condoms.

Hmmm, maybe not. Maybe get her a nice massage session.
    If she is hot, give her my number.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

She just told me she already got a trip to Paris from my parents. So much about they are never going to allow her something like that -.-

I like the idea with the book. Ansel Adams: The Camera (The Ansel Adams Photography Series 1) maybe?

What are other good books about photography?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ask your parents instead of a forum that doesn't know anything about your sister either? That's what I would do at least. Seems to be somewhat easier finding a present for her when you actually know more about her and stuff :P

Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    Ask your parents instead of a forum that doesn't know anything about your sister either? That's what I would do at least. Seems to be somewhat easier finding a present for her when you actually know more about her and stuff :P
    Not a good idea. Just trust me on this one. Other than with my sister, I have plenty of experience with my parents. More than enough to know that they are actually useless for this kind of things.

Her plan for tomorrow is to go bowling with her close friends, with a little bit of drinking outside. She has exams next week and has to learn. So, no booze.

Really, I think I'll buy her a nice Levis belt and a book about photography. Just which one?
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2013-02-01 at 02:38 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    As Terahertz said.
    Ask your parents, they most likely have FAR better ideas than random people on the internet.
    You also should have asked them a week ago.