Thread: Warhammer 40K

Page 35 of 133 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Turning this thread back to some of its original purpose: I got more Dark Eldar stuff the other day, and have played a small points game with my army so far: went against a Salamander player who was willing to show the noob what is going on, I lost obviously, but now I know the true key to playing Dark Eldar is to get ALL the Raiders and Venoms, and never ever get in range of the opposition. Fly around like a monger and whittle away the future slaves' numbers and rack up the pain tokens.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbyjawz View Post
    Turning this thread back to some of its original purpose: I got more Dark Eldar stuff the other day, and have played a small points game with my army so far: went against a Salamander player who was willing to show the noob what is going on, I lost obviously, but now I know the true key to playing Dark Eldar is to get ALL the Raiders and Venoms, and never ever get in range of the opposition. Fly around like a monger and whittle away the future slaves' numbers and rack up the pain tokens.
    DE is fun vs tyranids because your raiders can get multiple poison attacks which destroys hormogaunts

Guess it's better to ask here than start a whole new thread.

I have 2 questions.

Firstly it's my gf's brothers b'day soon and he's a massive 40k fan, he has a huge chaos marine/deamon army so I don't think it's worth while buying him something for that but has is starting to build an orkz army. What's a safe box set to buy him just to boost his army but I don't want to buy some HQ unit he already has.

Secondly I want to get back into 40k, it's been a few years since I last played so i'm rusty as hell. What's a good army to get back into the game, I use to play eldar but I don't think that style suits me anymore. I don't want to dive into the game with an overly complex army, I was thinking of going Necron as I like the background story and the art (i'm getting back into it as much for the painting as for the game).

Cheers, any advice is greatly welcomed.

Ork boyz are always handy.

Everyone always needs more boyz. Necrons are nice, but their background changed a lot in the latest codex, now they are more similar to Tomb Kings (IN SPACE) then our favorite and well loved genocidal robotic zombies. I just skimmed through their codex, but i think they still rape vehicles with gauss rifles, and sadly pariahs are gone. Good sides are that you can really customize your Necron Empire now, which wasn't really possible before.

About Ultramarines and their successor chapters, weren't smurfs 100 000+ strong at the end of the heresy (thanks to Alpharius trolling Guillman away from Terra during siege)? Even with combat losses, they should've split into 60-80 chapters at least, considering how stable their geneseed is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cudomix View Post
    Everyone always needs more boyz. Necrons are nice, but their background changed a lot in the latest codex, now they are more similar to Tomb Kings (IN SPACE) then our favorite and well loved genocidal robotic zombies. I just skimmed through their codex, but i think they still rape vehicles with gauss rifles, and sadly pariahs are gone. Good sides are that you can really customize your Necron Empire now, which wasn't really possible before.

About Ultramarines and their successor chapters, weren't smurfs 100 000+ strong at the end of the heresy (thanks to Alpharius trolling Guillman away from Terra during siege)? Even with combat losses, they should've split into 60-80 chapters at least, considering how stable their geneseed is.
    They lost a crap ton of men in wars of retribution as well as in the actual battle of Calth, iirc. In addition, they were the army that harassed Chaos to the Eye of Terror while losing a whole bunch of their Legion.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Quote Originally Posted by cudomix View Post

Its hinted at the Ultramarines absorbed the 2 missing legions, after the heresy they split into 22 2nd founding chapters.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    For this very reason they are less prone to falling to Chaos and corruption when compared to other chapters, boring but reliable.
    Grey Knights says "BURN THE DEMON!" :P

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Grey Knights says "BURN THE DEMON!" :P
    I hate Grey knight players, they just seem to want cheap victories and Grey knights are the easiest force to do it with.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    I hate Grey knight players, they just seem to want cheap victories and Grey knights are the easiest force to do it with.
    Aww :'(

Not our fault that GW went utterly overboard with fluff... I just wanted a cheap and pwetty army, not my fault they are all psychic Highlanders with the ability to hurl fireballs and slice demons in half with silly swords.

My point was though, that where as the Ultramarines barely have any members falling to Chaos, the Grey Knights have NONE :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Aww :'(

Not our fault that GW went utterly overboard with fluff... I just wanted a cheap and pwetty army, not my fault they are all psychic Highlanders with the ability to hurl fireballs and slice demons in half with silly swords.

My point was though, that where as the Ultramarines barely have any members falling to Chaos, the Grey Knights have NONE :P
    Thats what happens when you have the emotions of a borg drone, Space marines live tough and brutal lives, but Grey Knights are just like emotionless robots.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Thats what happens when you have the emotions of a borg drone, Space marines live tough and brutal lives, but Grey Knights are just like emotionless robots.
    Well, the shit you go through in order to become a Grey Knight (and especially a Paladin) is pretty rough - to say the least - so I guess you can't blame them for being a bit urm.... Stoic.

Oh and we have the Ordo Malleus pulling their strings, those guys aren't the most touchy feely employers.

Reading through this has just made me want to start painting my armies again (so much to do, so little time to do it in) -- I was originally thinking about starting a new force but considering the massive price increase from when I last played I revisited my old (and mostly lost and missing) space marine force -- here is what is salvageable: a dreadnaught (that needs to be immersed in paint thinner for a few years), a single bike, a HQ command squad, 10 scouts (in various pieces) 5 assault marines and 20 tactical marines -- I have the old space marine codex (as in back-dated a few years) and am going to fork out on some new paints (mine seem to have all dried :P) -- my question to you Warhammer 40k vets out there is what (in the very far future when I have sufficient resources to build my army) should I look to be adding next? -- I have very little playing experience yet from what I can remember I prefer fielding a balanced force as to one that favours speed or power
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Source)
    Paladin chat and whispers now appear with sparkles.
    We have officially changed the name of the "rogue" class to “rouge.”
    All dungeon & raid bosses now have legs. If they already had legs, they got more legs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Selestarius View Post
    Reading through this has just made me want to start painting my armies again (so much to do, so little time to do it in) -- I was originally thinking about starting a new force but considering the massive price increase from when I last played I revisited my old (and mostly lost and missing) space marine force -- here is what is salvageable: a dreadnaught (that needs to be immersed in paint thinner for a few years), a single bike, a HQ command squad, 10 scouts (in various pieces) 5 assault marines and 20 tactical marines -- I have the old space marine codex (as in back-dated a few years) and am going to fork out on some new paints (mine seem to have all dried :P) -- my question to you Warhammer 40k vets out there is what (in the very far future when I have sufficient resources to build my army) should I look to be adding next? -- I have very little playing experience yet from what I can remember I prefer fielding a balanced force as to one that favours speed or power
    Vehicles are always useful and a devastator squad with anti-vehicle weapons are essential.

Cheers -- looking into it im thinking about a rhino as a next purchase, but ill definitely look into the devastator squad aswell
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Source)
    Paladin chat and whispers now appear with sparkles.
    We have officially changed the name of the "rogue" class to “rouge.”
    All dungeon & raid bosses now have legs. If they already had legs, they got more legs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    I personally think Necrons having personalities and being, as you put it so eloquently "Tomb Kings in space" has kind of ruined it for me a little
    I always loved just the idea of this faceless ancient species of domination with very little known about them at all, or their motives. The extra fluff they have added with some of the Necron Lords having personalities and the Necroteks etc has kind of ruined it a little for me

But still, they are most powerful race in WH40K barring Tyranids to my mind. They are nigh on completely invincible , have weaponry beyond anything, and are completely immune to chaotic corruption simply by dearth of being soulless abominations. Pretty awesome all round to my mind :P
    I bet Superman is your fave superhero because he is the most powerful right? Shit like that bores me, I like races or things I can relate too, invincible mindless machines just don't do it for for me.

Well, they had agenda back in old fluff, goal of C'tan was to separate Warp and reality so they can feed on everything that's left (pariah gene was just one of the steps towards that). But there wasn't any decent customization for Necrons, it was either genocide or gtfo. Now, you can play "old school" Necrons who just want to eradicate all life and restore C'tan back, no one's stopping you, while other people can do their own backstory for their armies. Personally, i always loved homebrew armies and paintjobs more than vanilla ones.

And Superman was decent ever since Alan Moore got hold of him back in the 80's, Grant Morrison did excellent job on All Star Superman^^

10+ Year Old Account
    How many Space Wolves have fallen to Chaos? I can't think of one in lore. I can only think of the amazing 13th, who are much more resilient to Chaos than any Grey Knight or Ultramarine has faced.

Don't know if I agree with Necrons having personalities etc. I really liked their backstory and their introduction into 40k.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    How many Space Wolves have fallen to Chaos? I can't think of one in lore. I can only think of the amazing 13th, who are much more resilient to Chaos than any Grey Knight or Ultramarine has faced.

Don't know if I agree with Necrons having personalities etc. I really liked their backstory and their introduction into 40k.
    Considering how secretive the Astartes are, even to the Inquisition and especially other chapters, I doubt even the Space Wolves themselves know.

Who do you mean by the 13th? If you are talking Legions then those are the Ultramarines.
    Last edited by mmoca51a6f9f4d; 2013-02-01 at 07:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering how secretive the Astartes are, even to the Inquisition and especially other chapters, I doubt even the Space Wolves themselves know.

Who do you mean by the 13th? If you are talking Legions then those are the Ultramarines.
    The Space Wolves were divided into Great Companies, not chapters, after the Horus Heresy because Leman Russ is... well, Russ. The 13th Great Company were sent to chase Chaos into the Eye of Terror and beyond. They returned recently for the 13th Black Crusade as a different army with tons of werewolf like features, scavenged weapons and tanks and not a single one of them had fallen to Chaos, as far as we know. In the lore apparently the Canix Helix makes the Space Wolves incredibly resistant to Chaos.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/S...s_13th_Company