Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post
    Well, I got my new pc, so put in my try for the beta... I answered everything truthfully, but fudged the guild part, as I'm actually not in any MMO guild at the moment :O Still got an "excellent" without anything but a tiny fib in the guild section... which hardly seems important in the grand scheme of the application!

Still my track record of getting into betas sucks a bit so we shall see...
    I hope you get in =)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    2) classic TES combat style CAN NOT WORK IN AN MMO. it has to be modified to keep melee from being 100% more effective than every ranged class. until it's as easy to hit a large target with no delay (melee) as it is a smaller target with 1-3 second delay (ranged) target locking will be mandatory. the ONLY other alternative that has been attempted is increasing the power of projectiles to make up for the lower hit chance, and that means ranged are still behind the curve and when you get 1 shot, it's not fun or skill based. you can't avoid some type of target locking system if you want balance.

3) 1st person view isn't viable at a high level in an MMO in pvp or pve. it forces you into something that is universally bad, tunnel vision. until peripheral vision and 360 degree sound is standard, 3rd person will be all that is viable. you can't simulate those things without matching it to your actual FOV and wrap around monitors just aren't happening right now
    2) Yes it can. If fact it's probably the other way around and melee is at a disadvantage if it is like Skyrim. Heavy armor is makes you slow so I don't see a heavy armored warrior even catching archers and mages. Light armor VS mages isn't a problem either, lightning hits instantly + they have runes so it's pretty balanced. However light armor vs archers.. yea, I see a problem there, especially with stealth. Nothing wrong with having a combat triangle though. Rogues have advantage over ranged, heavy armored warriors over rogues.

3) Again disagreed. Depends on the design of the game. 3rd person view may give you a larger angle but first person makes it easier to aim.
    Last edited by mmocc089ef6a74; 2013-02-01 at 03:39 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    2) Yes it can. If fact it's probably the other way around and melee is at a disadvantage if it is like Skyrim. Heavy armor is makes you slow so I don't see a heavy armored warrior even catching archers and makes. Light armor VS mages isn't a problem either, lightning hits instantly + they have runes so it's pretty balanced. However light armor vs archers.. yea, I see a problem there, especially with stealth. Nothing wrong with having a combat triangle though. Rogues have advantage over ranged, heavy armored warriors over rogues.

3) Again disagreed. Depends on the design of the game. 3rd person view may give you a larger angle but first person makes it easier to aim.
    In regards of the second point I entirely agree with Lizbeth. I mean, for Melee it might not matter all that much weither you're in first or third perspective, but for a ranged or spellcaster, I see the aiming and focus you gain from a first person view as an advantage. It allows far easier aim and navigation of where you want to hit over a third person. Or atleast, that's what -I- believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasperio View Post
    In regards of the second point I entirely agree with Lizbeth. I mean, for Melee it might not matter all that much weither you're in first or third perspective, but for a ranged or spellcaster, I see the aiming and focus you gain from a first person view as an advantage. It allows far easier aim and navigation of where you want to hit over a third person. Or atleast, that's what -I- believe.
    Having both is good, as it gives the option for people to choose their preferred view, instead of everyone being forced into 1st person or 3rd person if they don't like it. I know I will be switching between them both, like I do in Skyrim. Out in the world, I play in 3rd person, killing things that way. But when I am in a cave or other form of dungeon, I switch to 1st person, as it lets me see better. Probably strange, but that's what works for me. And that's probably what I will do in ESO as well. Besides, I like looking at my character too much to always be in 1st person.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Having both is good, as it gives the option for people to choose their preferred view, instead of everyone being forced into 1st person or 3rd person if they don't like it. I know I will be switching between them both, like I do in Skyrim. Out in the world, I play in 3rd person, killing things that way. But when I am in a cave or other form of dungeon, I switch to 1st person, as it lets me see better. Probably strange, but that's what works for me. And that's probably what I will do in ESO as well. Besides, I like looking at my character too much to always be in 1st person.
    If Skyrim had mirrors, I'd never leave 1st person:P I'd even turn off the 3rd person killmoves then.. since it does not, I just use it when trying on something new to see how it looks and I also see my character during kill moves and when mining, crafting or chopping wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    If Skyrim had mirrors, I'd never leave 1st person:P I'd even turn off the 3rd person killmoves then.. since it does not, I just use it when trying on something new to see how it looks and I also see my character during kill moves and when mining, crafting or chopping wood.
    Didn't know you could turn off the killmoves. And yeah, that's why I am glad that they are having 3rd and 1st person views. You love being in 1st person, I only enjoy it when in a dungeon area. Lets us both be in our preferred viewpoint. It did make me happy that even in 3rd person in Skyrim, they had the crosshairs for bows. Annoyed me in Oblivion that it only showed in 1st person. Hope they will still have it in ESO when in 3rd person.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Yeah exactly. Having the option is important as it can cater to individual playstyles alot better than being forced. That was kind of what I was trying to say aswell with my post, that I feel it would be disadvantageous to constantly be in 3rd person, but some people might prefer it that way. So I'd have to say it looks like we agree entirely. (And for the record, I'm the same as you in regards to Skyrim ;D)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcstunner View Post
    so.... i'll ask again... has there been any news on how many character slots we get?
    Me too. Total altoholic.

Quote Originally Posted by ohaitharr View Post
    There's a whole genre called TPS - Third Person Shooter.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-person_shooter
    Ah yeah. Space Harrier, Silpheed, Tomb Raider, Rez all games I've played back in the days. Rez is one of my favorite game experiences, but unfortunately console only. I suppose we could also add Rainbow Six: Las Vegas (2) and Splinter Cell in the mix, and indeed TPS does work well with cover system. However, the FOV of third person is unrealistic which destroys the immersion for me.

In a game like Skyrim and WoW, players have option of both, but will stick to third person.

Perhaps we need to define what works best in first person, and what works best in third person.

10+ Year Old Account
    It just struck me. We have next to no information and only one cinematic trailer, yet we have a 119 pages thread about the game, and the hype is already overwhelming. Now take a look back, this was exactly how it was with every major MMO in the past. As soon as the game comes around everybody knows everything worth knowing about the game, the hype will probably destroy the game for many players as it always does, and no matter how good the game may be, masses will regard it as a failure.

I know this “disease” isn’t curable, but I think it’s such a shame this happens every time a major new game comes out, especially in the MMO genre. Hype is a plague, and it’s spreading faster than ever because of the internet. Every new MMO is built up by the community to be the “WoW-killer”, and we all know what happens next..

Just wanted to throw my thoughts out to you, my fellow champions. Are you too concerned for this game as well as future MMORPG’s? You know it’s true, and one does not simply avoid the matter.

Deleted
    I may or may not have been accepted into the beta

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eorayn View Post
    It just struck me. We have next to no information and only one cinematic trailer, yet we have a 119 pages thread about the game, and the hype is already overwhelming. Now take a look back, this was exactly how it was with every major MMO in the past. As soon as the game comes around everybody knows everything worth knowing about the game, the hype will probably destroy the game for many players as it always does, and no matter how good the game may be, masses will regard it as a failure.

I know this “disease” isn’t curable, but I think it’s such a shame this happens every time a major new game comes out, especially in the MMO genre. Hype is a plague, and it’s spreading faster than ever because of the internet. Every new MMO is built up by the community to be the “WoW-killer”, and we all know what happens next..

Just wanted to throw my thoughts out to you, my fellow champions. Are you too concerned for this game as well as future MMORPG’s? You know it’s true, and one does not simply avoid the matter.
    I gotta ask, have you READ the thread so far? =) There's VERY little "This will kill WoW" in here. The hype so far is pretty minimal and I'd say most of the pages is actualy reasonable discussion, theory and speculation. Go back and read through it, it's alot of great read I assure you =) Lots of source links and interview quotes here and there.

Otherwise, your last line concerned me a bit. You took the topic of concern weither hype can kill a playerstructure or not - which is a very valid discussion - but concluded with " Are you too concerned for this game as well as future MMORPG’s? You know it’s true, and one does not simply avoid the matter." That seems very generalizing and predicting. Could you elaborate why your prediction is as stated, or otherwise provide a source more credible than a magic 8-ball? =)

Looking forward to hearing more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Einherjarn View Post
    I'm guessing not, as they haven't started sending invites out yet.

Deleted

What I find funny is why people believe human beings who buy MMORPGs are some kind of terrible junkies who buy a game and then stay hooked on it for years to come, seemingly seeing grinds as a work reward, and calling a guild who raids 3x a week 4 hrs "casual". Absolutely mind boggling. What's wrong with playing casual? Why is it so unfathomable someone temporarily unsubs? Doesn't like sub, instead preferring to play when they feel like it? Perhaps only leveled and intended to quit when they reach max level all along? Why would a MMORPG publisher even want this the junkie type of player?

By the way my experience with playing betas is exactly what you described. When I played a beta it took away the initial immersion the game offered. Leveling up first character in MoP from 85 to 90? Already did during MoP beta. Daily quests? Deliberately didn't do those, since I knew I'd get a burn out on that pile of poo even earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjarn View Post
    I'm guessing you got the confirmation email saying that they received your beta application. I just checked their facebook, they haven't started sending out beta invites yet.

Your confusing speculation and hype. There is 119 pages of discussion on things we speculate might be in the game and debate wiether certain systems that might be in the game in beta or launch will be good for the game and if other systems normally in a elderscrolls game are left out is that bad for the MMO.

There is no "hype" There are ppl in the thread excited for the game but no one is hyping it up. There is a difference in excitement and hype. You see when your excited you get into discussions you do more research into the thing your getting excited about and your generally happy about what ever it is your excited about. Hype on the other hand is the building up of somthing and comparing it to known things. Saying somthing is as good as somthing, or better than something when no one has seen it yet. Hyping up a prized fighter so that you can earn a bigger money bag after the fight win or lose, making somthing seem bigger than it is.

No one is doing that. We havent played the game and we arnt hyping the game to be anything. No one in this thread is doing that. In fact theres been alot of negative remarks about the direction of the game from the speculation we have done so far about the small amount of released information.

Please learn what hype is and try not to use blanket statements on any new game coming out just because you think you know what your talking about.

Deleted
    If anything, "we will not include feature X" is the antichrist of hype whereas "our game is better than WoW" is either overconfidence/hype/PR or an accurate, striking statement (the latter example proved to be the former).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    I'm guessing not, as they haven't started sending invites out yet.
    Registered too yesterday and I probably don't have a chance as I don't work for any game company, don't do reviews, don't have a youtube channel or anything like that aaand I was too lazy to write anything in the "why should you pick me" box. But who knows, I have been picked to participate in every single WoW expansion so far since Wrath.

The hype here is not overwhelming jesus christ.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    The hype here is not overwhelming jesus christ.
    Guy thinks hype is ppl talking about a game.

You will see true meaning of hype when some information is released.