Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Just because it didn't have the traditional form of raiding like WoW or Rift, doesn't mean it didn't have a true end-game. It did, just slightly different.
    Stuff you do at max level is not endgame in MMO design. Stuff you do to advance beyond level cap in power is endgame in MMO design.

None of the Guild Wars game have ever had an endgame. There was an end of game, but no DD/T of endgame in the commonly practiced fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Manekk View Post
    The thing I don't understand about GW2 is why they don't focus a little bit more on vanity/cosmetic gear I don't mean town clothes but regular gear there is something that would have alot of people chasing round tyria if there were more nice sets to be found and also something many would happily spend gems on (including myself) if there actually were any in the gemstore that made sense, it's extremely limited as it is.
    This is my own personal gripe with the game. The aspect most appealing to me of GW2 is the one given the least attention. And most under developed.

I have robust cosmetic options in games like Aion, Rift and Everquest 2. Where everything looks horrid. But I can't wear a beautiful blouse and shoes in GW2? Get out of here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by reemi View Post
    Just my opinion, I played GW2 enough to try everthing, except the new patch.

Pro:
    Free.
    New questing concept.
    Combat and movement are fun.
    Graphics.
    Friendly environment and players (it's more coop than versus, when you quest and play)

Cons:
    Lack of content, probably because it's free. (Armor sets, dungeon, etc)
    Look empty.
    You never own anything.
    Too much range.
    Lack of quests.
    Not enough skills choices.
    Lack of content how? armor sets at 80? maybe yes but that is by design and not a true con it's what makes it so casual friendly if you mean cosmetic sets I agree.

Dungeons? there are no less than other games in fact with the scaling system and explorer mode it probably has more viable dungeons than any other game atleast at max level.

Never looks empty anywhere to me but perhaps I am on a server with much higher population I don't know.

You never own anything? what do you mean by that, I don't understand what are you supposed to be owning?

Too much range? in what way combat? you're not forced to ranged combat even if it's sometimes better or do you mean too much traveldistance in the world? because as you level you can't move too far out of your own level range anyway and as you get higher travel time is nonexistant with the waypoints

Lack of quests is not really true either there are tons of them everywhere just in a diffrent form in dynamic events, it's certainly enough to keep anyone busy until they reach 80 and I think even a long time after reaching it very few will have done them all, if you mean personal story quest I agree, would like that one fleshed out alot even if I liked it I just want more of it.

Skill choises could be improved upon for sure not in the sense that I want to fill another actionbar but rather have alot of skills improved because some are plain useless/filler skills that no one ever picks.

---------- Post added 2013-02-01 at 07:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    This is my own personal gripe with the game. The aspect most appealing to me of GW2 is the one given the least attention. And most under developed.

I have robust cosmetic options in games like Aion, Rift and Everquest 2. Where everything looks horrid. But I can't wear a beautiful blouse and shoes in GW2? Get out of here.
    Couldn't agree more, I would so love them to dump the stupid transmuting stones in favor of a costume panel like in rift with the option of equipping both any normal gear (of your own armorclass) aswell as statless costume gear in it, and of course add more costume sets, some costume vendors with a limited supply in every major city like in lotro and some rare stuff could drop in dungeons, things like that.
    Last edited by mmoc7104c19b7e; 2013-02-01 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    I disagree with your statement about not enough armors:
    http://gw2armorgallery.com/
    And with 25 dungeon paths I disagree that there aren't enough dungeons.

I have no idea what you mean when you say you never own anything.

The game can look "empty" if there no events happening at the moment due to the dynamic nature of GW2.

I can be standing out in the middle of nowhere and it looks deserted.
    http://i.imgur.com/Kvyub.jpg

10 minutes later an event spawns and all hell breaks loose.
    http://i.imgur.com/fm9ZE.jpg

As far as skill choices it depends on the profession. As an elementalist I have 25 skills, that's PLENTY.
    you are not supposed to refute his points, that's his opinion and he is entitled to it. If you like GW2, that's okay, but don't do that. The OP wanted pros and cons and that's what he gave him. I'm thinking about trying the game too, if I see fanboys jumping to defend the game, it just puts me off. We want unbiased, objective opinions.

Anyways, if I ever have 60 bucks to give away, I'll try it. Sounds like it might be a refreshing game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakuchin View Post
    you are not supposed to refute his points, that's his opinion and he is entitled to it. If you like GW2, that's okay, but don't do that. The OP wanted pros and cons and that's what he gave him. I'm thinking about trying the game too, if I see fanboys jumping to defend the game, it just puts me off. We want unbiased, objective opinions.

Anyways, if I ever have 60 bucks to give away, I'll try it. Sounds like it might be a refreshing game.
    So what he is still allowed to have is own opinion, but some of the things he said raised some questions as it was hard to know what he meant in the first place.

Yea guys, don't really need to reply with point by point rebuttals here. That's going nowhere fast. So like, don't before the thread dovetails into White Knights vs. Black Hats.

Don't turn this into my game is better than X, Y, Z stuff.

Seriously.

-- Fencers

Deleted
    My biggest cons and the reason I don't play it anymore, unfortunately:

No PvE endgame comparable to WoW. I knew that going in but ... still. :/ You can run dungeons, farm gear etc. to have better gear to ... what? Same problem I had in GW1, I'm not interested in PvP (or WvW) and without that there's not really anything to do in endgame or no purpose to do anything.

When I hit 80 I wanted to go back and discover the entire world , at 67% or so right now, but ... I just don't want do. In every zone, do every event, every quest, discover every PoV...

I actually like the idea of GW2's scaling, in general. But it's annoying when, at lvl 80, you can't just rush through a low level zone to farm the mats you need to level your crafting profession. And at lvl 80 you don't have a much easier time doing lvl 15 zone quests and mobs because you get scaled down to that level.

I considered going for the legendary weapons but ... why? Just to have them?

It's not necessarily a fault with the game, just my way of playing it.

At some point I'll probably go back and complete the 100% world discovery and probably level an alt. Not now though.

Oh. And the final boss fight SUCKS. God... I had been warned and I didn't believe it but it *really* sucks, *extremely* disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuchin View Post

Totally agree. I want objective opinions, if something is awsome about the game tell me about it, if something needs to be changed tell me about it too, but please dont say that someone opinion is not ok because you dont think the same or because you like some other game. Like Fencer said, dont make this a game vs game thread.

OT: About the "Not enough skills choices", I remember that in GW1 they added skills for time to time and in expansions, do they plan to do the same in GW2?

Quote Originally Posted by one_entity View Post
    Oh. And the final boss fight SUCKS. God... I had been warned and I didn't believe it but it *really* sucks, *extremely* disappointing.
    Is it really that bad???
    Last edited by RodrigoTxc; 2013-02-01 at 07:55 PM.

They mentioned in a recent article that they're adding WvW skills "soon", so that's a start. They've also previously mentioned that there's a chance (likelihood) of adding new weapons with expansions. So likely, they will, we'll just have to see how it plays out

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

The problem with these pros/cons threads is that they always devolve into arguments. So, I abstain from putting my own pros and cons.

Quote Originally Posted by RodrigoTxc View Post
    Is it really that bad???
    The final dungeon's boss was initially bugged. It has since been fixed for the most part.

Also Anet are undergoing a major revision to all dungeons. The last patch, last week or whatever, just introduced the first round of dungeon re-balancing. With more coming according to the blog.

Like most every MMO, Guild Wars 2 is a game in active live development. No different than the restructuring that goes on in Rift, SWTOR, WOW or Secret World. Few MMOs in the modern era are static.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-02-01 at 08:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Zhatian is still just trash and shooting from a cannon, in which case bugged or not it sucks, 2012 brought us 2 of the biggest baddest dragons seen in video games, they also gave us 2 of the most embarrassingly disappointing dragon fights you could ever concoct.

Cons are less than inspiring combat, mundane questing hidden behind a 'revolutionary' questing system, even after talking to people 90% of the time I have absolutely no idea why im doing the things im doing. Take the new living story, I am a norn so im questing in wayfarer foothills, I get some mail to go speak to someone but in the mean time im stumbling across dead refugess and some random refugee collectors. I speak to these collectors and I get one line talking about a fire, I feel completly devoid of any context the majority of the time. The majority of the time you will just walk in to a quest do it and leave with no context, now im not much of a lore man anyway but I just felt really lost lore wise a lot of the time. Camera and character movement feels a little disjointed to me. Waypoints are yuck, completely immersion breaking as are loading screens, I recently did a story quest and because I got slightly lost I ended up with 11 loading screens in a minute as well as using 3 way points, however overall I do like being able to zip around from place to place, as QoL thing its nice for immersion its hideous. Downscaling is annoying when you want to just smash through a zone, you cant and have to face pulling packs of mobs. Some of the story and voice acting is horrendous, just avoid Asura please...The world is more alive, but part of the PR was that you would have permanent impact, you never do. Combat can get quite confusing, with no customisable ui I lose track of boons and buffs and conditions.

Pros Pick up and play is nice, I dont ever feel like I need to log in to do anything mandatory, its very refreshing. The combat can be quite challenging even when levelling. Downscaling is great for keeping content fairly relevant all the time even if it still needs some work. Graphicly ive warmed to it, the norn area really feels like a cold harsh environment. Combat is fun. Levelling is fun. Shared questing, shared nodes shared kills all work brilliantly. Some of the chain quests are just brilliant and really made me excited to keep playing, just the other day I random resurected someone oblivious he/she was part of a chain that carried on for like 4 quests thats the kind of 'alive' the world needs. In fact im going to log on now.

I take a lot of digs but I have warmed to the game, its not even close to a single player purchase on steam until the price drops, its worth £30 not the £50 i paid but Im starting to claw that money back with having some actual fun.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-02-01 at 08:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pros:
    No sub
    Beautiful artwork
    Interesting combat
    Easy to jump in and play
    dynamic events turned out to be really fun for me. They don't really change the world, but still fun to repeat every 20 mins. I'm looking at you troll.

Cons:
    Expect all new content to be bugged. We are still sitting with to a of bugged content from release.
    SPvP is dead. I personally stopped playing SPvP because of the only mode(conquest) being boring as shit.
    WvW is near unplayable half the time because of culling issues.
    Dungeons are a complete mess. Feels too chaotic, in a bad way. I think the removal of the trinity didnt work for them.
    Ai in the game is terrible, so you don't want to mess with any profession that uses a pet/minion... Just not worth it IMO.
    The story and story telling in this game is possibly one of the worst I have played in awhile. The personal story itself was underwhelming to say the least.

This is just a short list of a few pros/cons. I'm on my phone so don't want to write too much. I will likely edit and add more of each later.
    I would just buy the game though, being only $60(prob even cheaper on amazon) and not having a sub.

I recently started playing the game and have been pretty happy with it so far. One thing that is important to know is that your game experience will differ DRASTICALLY depending on your class (called professions in the game), and very often you can have very different experiences with the same character depending on your build (your choice of weapons, how you spent your trait points, etc). I first tried the game at launch on my husband's account, rolling a Ranger because hunter-types are usually beginner-friendly in MMOs and I wanted to ease into the game. I lost interest very quickly (I think I got to like, level 9 or something). I decided to give it another shot a few weeks ago and rolled a few different classes to try them all out, and the experience was so different.

Engineer had the most immediate appeal for me because you get a bunch of utility abilities early on, which I enjoy a lot. Guardian started out like a typical plate-wearer class but after I collected all the different weapons they can use, it has really blossomed into a very interesting, multi-faceted class. My favorite weapon for when I'm in a beat-down mood is the greatsword (2-hander), but sword and shield is great for high-mobility quick strikes, and Guardians can even use staves, for a more caster-y feel. I'm also slowly learning how to play an elementalist, which is probably one of the trickiest classes because for each weapon, you get 4 sets of abilities, and proper play requires you to be able to swap between those sets over the course of a fight to use all of the tools you have at your disposal.

I don't really know enough about these classes to go into any detail about them, but the point I wish to impress upon you is that there is remarkable depth and variety in the class system, and finding the class and build with the playstyle that appeals to you most is really the game's core value. Like Fencers has mentioned, there is no real "carrot" to get you to put time into the game, so the only reward you get out of playing the game is the amount of fun you have while playing, and the class system tries to give players a wide variety of ways to have fun with their character.
    Last edited by IreneDAdler; 2013-02-01 at 09:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some other pro points:

You can use ingame gold to purchase cash shop items, from mini-pets to armor skins to additional character slots to Total Makeover Kits, etc.

Servers are never down. No weekly maintenance, they patch on the fly - it just logs you out, you DL the patch and you're good to go. This is even for major content patches.

You will never be in a log-in queue since they utilize an overflow system. You can play all parts of the game except for your server's Borderland wvw from overflow. Your friends can join you in overflow or you can play with people from other servers, you can stay there all day if you want or go to your home server when a spot opens.

Character customization. You can create just about any look you can imagine. Between mixing and matching all the gear and weapon choices plus over 400 colors to choose from, you will never look like another character.

Exploration - this game has all others beat when it comes to exploring. Jump down a well to discover a hidden jumping puzzle, fall through a crack in the ice to discover an underwater zone. Look behind bushes and waterfalls, you'll soon find the "end of the map" is not the end.

Jumping puzzles. Some require tighter control skills, some have combat or pvp mixed in, some are mini-dungeons, they are all great fun.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Some other pro points:
    The topic is pros and cons....so far its just pros from you, are you ever going to have a single critical view of this game :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    - Twitch based combat might not be for everyone (very much an action game first, MMORPG second)
    I haven't tried out GW2 yet (Yeah I know >_>) but I was a bit curious about the twitch thing. Is GW2's combat really twitch based (For PvE I hope more so than PvP)? If so this would very much push me over to buy this game. Was also wondering if playing any of the classes feels like a hack n slash style of game play. . .that would be a huge pro for me ;~;

And no, the info stickie doesnt awnser my question, so don't try to refer me to it I. I already enjoy reading that thread as is.
    Last edited by GuiltyCrown; 2013-02-01 at 10:15 PM.
    "Do we gain more power in order to fight, or do we fight in order to gain more power?"-Some badass

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    The topic is pros and cons....so far its just pros from you, are you ever going to have a single critical view of this game :P
    Sure. Cons:

Player Culling - this is a thing that reduces the radius in which you can see other players. If I am running in Lion's Arch sometimes I have to be almost on top of another player before he materializes. It's been a problem in WvW resulting in "invisible zergs". They rolled out the first stage fix for it this last patch, but only in WvW so far. It's still an issue in cities or big world meta events.

My server is too full - I think they need to add more servers rather than expanding the capacity of each server, the WvW queues are getting too long since they are limited to only 2000 players per server.

Another Pro:

Worldwide auction house (called Trading Post). Stuff sells almost instantly. You can place buy orders.
    Last edited by Karizee; 2013-02-01 at 10:16 PM.
    Valar morghulis

My own two cents here:

GW2 was a great F2P game when I started it, but I quit by the time MoP came out because I felt that was more interesting to play. GW2 has a large world, a lot to do, and there's a nice freedom in not paying a monthly fee and going at your own pace.

Now granted things could have changed or I just didn't play long enough to get into it, but my biggest problem was that things didn't really flow that well to keep me hooked. For example, as a human, your capital city of Divinity's Reach is the last remaining major stronghold for the human race after being driven back there after countless wars - something like that anyway, and it sounds cool. Except as I explored the world outside the city and even as I leveled up and did the quests, I felt like the story was just not at all connected to the game.

First of all, exploration has little to do with the storyline - you run around helping farmers, saving a random fort from centaurs, kill some of these, escort this wagon... none of this feels like it has anything to do with you race's survival. There is no real threat evident in any of the things you're doing. At the very start of the game in the tutorial, you fight back a huge centaur invasion and then a giant summoned earth spirit, and that was epic. The picking apples and shooing off spiders, not so much, and that was the way things played out to me.

Second, as you do your storyline quests (I was a noble, and I think an orphan or I lost my sister...? I forget, but anyway...) you find out that corruption is all over the freaking place, but mostly within Divinity's Reach. This made me feel even less interested in anything going on in the outside world, knowing my own home was the cradle of evil and idiocy. But you need to go outside the city to doing the disconnected leveling so that you can go back into the city to do the quests... it just felt very odd and unfulfilling.

The PvP was fun, although obviously also not related to the storyline. I loved how PvP matches would continue to requeue endlessly with the same players, and that the teams would randomize which players were on which teams, so sometimes you'd be on the awesome team and win, and sometimes you were on the okay team that just tried hard. But it wasn't like WoW where you just get stomped over and over, you actually feel like you can win and that it's worth contributing. RvRvR at the time was more or less mischief and vandalism - find the closest battle on your map, go there, push and shove... attack a fort, run away... repeat indefinitely. It's fun every now and then for its mindlessness, but otherwise it also got boring for me.

Graphics were excellent, and I enjoy any MMO that allows dyes and greater customization.

For a one-time fee to buy the game with no subscriptions, I'd say it's still a great game to try if you like MMOs, despite my complaints of how boring I felt it sometimes was. Just writing this makes me want to play it again, more so since I'm getting tired of WoW again. And the best part is that I can come and go from GW2 whenever I darn well please.

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyCrown View Post
    I haven't tried out GW2 yet (Yeah I know >_>) but I was a bit curious about the twitch thing. Is GW2's combat really twitch based (For PvE I hope more so than PvP)? If so this would very much push me over to buy this game. Was also wondering if playing any of the classes feels like a hack n slash style of game play. . .that would be a huge pro for me ;~;

And no, the info stickie doesnt awnser my question, so don't try to refer me to it I. I already enjoy reading that thread as is.
    Depens on the profession (class) that you play. A ranger won't be as reliant on movement (other than move out of the bad stuff) and twitch play as say a Thief would. A thief really depends on movement, dodging, and escapability in order to be successful. To hit a target is not based on a dice roll (there are no +hit and +accuracy stats), it's based on your position and your targets position. You can move away from slow moving projectiles rather easily.

10+ Year Old Account
    The game is very well made. Great optimization and runs well on even the most outdated of PCs.

As soon as they let players bind to the mouse wheel I will start playing. Glad I do not have to worry about a subscription or anything until that happens. Silly I know, but it is a game killer for me.
    I like sandwiches