Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    This article from The Economist illustrates very well the difference of culture that is even very evident on this board every time a discussion of healthcare comes of for example. And with more and more countries political spectrums becoming increasingly ideologically radical a pragmatic government is much preferred in my opinion. Would you like your country with a model like the one in the North? Why and why not? (And "No, because X country isn't Y country" is neither constructive nor a coherent argument.)
    My main objection would be to the effect of the 'equality' we see in Nordic systems not necessarily equating to 'justice'. Those in life who are legitimately successful for example, I do not believe should be made to pay the bill for those who are intentionally not so through their own actions or lack thereof.

Perhaps more simply, such systems tend to ignore the presence of what the often scorned Charles Murray called 'The Underclass' or rather, convey the impression that it does not exist whilst accommodating it. That someone who is legitimately successful in life for example, is punished heavily for it via taxes, whilst someone foolish can live in relative prosperity off Social Welfare, is the main reason why I disagree with a great deal of Western Liberal Democracies economically. Indeed, i'd probably fit William F. Buckley Jr's notion of conservatism best;

Buckley would distinguish between so-called "lowercase c" and "Capital C" conservatives, the latter being true conservatives: fiscally conservative and socially Conservative/Libertarian or libertarian-leaning.
    Does the Scandinavian system work well? Absolutely, though one can debate the reasons and circumstances that have allowed it to function as such. My girlfriend grew up in the 70s for example, and prior to Norway's endeavours into the world oil market and subsequent wise spending of the profit, Norway was actually a rather bleak place beyond the likes of Oslo. Is the Scandinavian system fair however? I'm not so sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amirila View Post
    We shall unite to one country! Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Iceland unite! (We will conquer Earth)
    If the Queen lets us back in we can cock block you pretty damn fast.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Maybe this isn't fair since its anecdotal and extremely limited in scope, but I met a Nowegian guy in Britain and he said "are you sure you're American? You sound American, but you look Spanish or Mexican".

I'm half black.

I'm not claiming that they have a racism issue though as I honestly don't know (immigration?). I know Anglosphere nations have tenuous histories with race but are pretty good about it today.
    Europe as a whole is very racist, some countries more than other, and the flack the US gets from Europeans for "being racist" is completely hypocritical. I'm not saying the US can't improve though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Not really about being nice, but trying to be globally competetive.
    Well, you have to sell Ikea, Finnlad has Nokia, Norway oil...I try to think of what actually denmark could sell. (besides badgers and Cattaclysmic)

Europe as a whole is very racist, some countries more than other, and the flack the US gets from Europeans for "being racist" is completely hypocritical. I'm not saying the US can't improve though.
    The vocal part here that is racist (our right wing) is actually the biggest political party, but still only like 23% of us vote for them, the Left just avoids commenting on it (because arguing with our right wing politicians is really stupid) so I guess you only see the racist stuff in the media. (That's actually sad, but I understand our politicians to not engage in mudfights on immigration)

Vikings never wore horned helmets,

No self respecting warrior would graft giant handles onto his head for his enemy to grab during combat. Especially not a warrior culture like the vikings.

The whole horned helmet thing was dreamed up years later by artists and painters who wanted to make them seem more savage and war-like.

This has been your misconception alert for the day. Thank you.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Holy crap @ those prices, I thought gun prices in the UK were high.....
    Everything is expensive here. Not even girls can be cheap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    Vikings never wore horned helmets,

No self respecting warrior would graft giant handles onto his head for his enemy to grab during combat. Especially not a warrior culture like the vikings.

The whole horned helmet thing was dreamed up years later by artists and painters who wanted to make them seem more savage and war-like.

This has been your misconception alert for the day. Thank you.
    There was actually a viking blacksmith that messed up and did put horns on the helmets, unfortunately he put them on the inside rather than the outside. It was the shortest war in history.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DieFichte View Post
    Finnlad has Nokia

"yay"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Holy crap @ those prices, I thought gun prices in the UK were high.....
    Krones are like 1/5 the value of the dollar but holy shit those are expensive

10+ Year Old Account

"yay"
    Pff, just says you doing it wrong!

But if I would make a statistic for how much foreign tax money we steal, we would look pretty bad too over the last years, so much lost revenue due to stupid countries wants their moneys back

Maybe this isn't fair since its anecdotal and extremely limited in scope, but I met a Nowegian guy in Britain and he said "are you sure you're American? You sound American, but you look Spanish or Mexican".

I'm half black.

I'm not claiming that they have a racism issue though as I honestly don't know (immigration?). I know Anglosphere nations have tenuous histories with race but are pretty good about it today.
    Dont worry, the stereotype that Danes and Swedes have about Norwegians (and Norwegians about Swedes) is that they are a bit dense...

We have 2 Norwegians and a Fenno-swede in my class. And we ask the Norwegians for good jokes they just tell evil jokes about Swedes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Britain isn't very racist, and neither is France. I can't speak for any other nations as I haven't spent more than a week anywhere else.

Why wouldn't we? Many people globally trade with our countries, and most of them do not understand our native languages. There's no reason not to do the translating work for them. Just like pretty much every European nation does, and many "exotic" nations.
    While it becomes useful for internet discussions on MMO-C, I can think of no logical reason for countries to publish reports meant for internal use in a non-native language.

Not long ago I read a report from Sweden highlighting problems they faced in their national health care system. It was in English and I can think of no good reason for that... aside from humblebragging

Krones are like 1/5 the value of the dollar but holy shit those are expensive
    I get about 5800 Kroner every month from the government as a student grant. So if i didnt need to eat i guess i could buy one of the cheaper ones xD

If the Queen lets us back in we can cock block you pretty damn fast.
    War? No, I meant economy wise

"yay"
    Nokia never got into the whole Smartphones thing. They just kept making weirder and weirder phones.

Deleted
    Lived in Tromso for a year... 15 euro pizza's.... crazy. (I was earning a Norwegian salary, still thought it was expensive).

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    While it becomes useful for internet discussions on MMO-C, I can think of no logical reason for countries to publish reports meant for internal use in a non-native language.

Not long ago I read a report from Sweden highlighting problems they faced in their national health care system. It was in English and I can think of no good reason for that... aside from humblebragging
    For one it makes it easier for us Nordics to communicate. Contrary to popular belief we dont all talk the same language. And i would much rather read English and Swedish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post

Maybe they want to help others? ^.^

As a resident of a nordic country, I wouldn't suggest that any country emulate us too much. It's actually rather ominous to live here, with the left-wingers dictating what's okay to say and think, and trying to control the media and even, recently a TV series. No, we don't have secret police, but I wouldn't want to live here in 20 years.