10+ Year Old Account

Elemental Shaman PvP?

Hello there,

I've had a shaman for quite some time for PvE, but I've recently wanted to try pvp with him. Is it viable in any way? what about gems, stats, enchants, etc.?

Is there anywhere I can find a guide that could help me with it?

Thanks in advance

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 11:00 PM ----------

Also I'll be doing primarily bgs until I get a hand of it and go to arenas.

Deleted
    - Ele isn't really viable in arena without a very specific comp and you know how to play ele in arena to the core.
    - RBGs it's doing ok but still not great.
    - Random BGs is fun but recommend you roll with a party of guys. Without good gear and a teammate back you up, you will get rolled constantly.
    - 5.2 looks good for elemental but it still won't be strong in arena. RBG is looking good though.

As far as builds go, it's up to you. Any haste/crit/mastery build is viable but I recommend at least 15% haste then focus on crit if you go elemental blast. Up to you though.

Deleted
    well, i wouldnt say crit is any good even with elem blast. Mastery or haste are alot better

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kejinx View Post
    - Ele isn't really viable in arena without a very specific comp and you know how to play ele in arena to the core.
    - RBGs it's doing ok but still not great.
    - Random BGs is fun but recommend you roll with a party of guys. Without good gear and a teammate back you up, you will get rolled constantly.
    - 5.2 looks good for elemental but it still won't be strong in arena. RBG is looking good though.

As far as builds go, it's up to you. Any haste/crit/mastery build is viable but I recommend at least 15% haste then focus on crit if you go elemental blast. Up to you though.
    For Ele PVP? Not sure why you'd go crit, you're going to want to pack as many Lava Bursts into your Ascendance as possible, including mastery procs.

I'm really not sure how Ele will do. Glyphed Sham Rage will be really nice, and might even make them less of a train target. We'll have to see I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUntsAhts View Post
    For Ele PVP? Not sure why you'd go crit, you're going to want to pack as many Lava Bursts into your Ascendance as possible, including mastery procs.
    Crit however is pretty strong outside of Ascendance, where Elemental can burst very well.

Eb+ instant Lvb+Fulmination is quite strong, especially if Elemental Blast and Fulmination crit, because the Mastery Proc Chance is relatively high even without super awesome gear, you might go for crit.

Haste isn't that relevant for this Burst combo since you only got a single Hardcast there, the reduction on the GCD isn't that much of a factor here as well.

I've seen it a few times that i was unable to kill anybody during Ascendance, because the enemies pile up CC's on me and Def CD's as well, this Burst Combo allowed me to catch a few enemies totally unprepared for the burst, since foreseeing this Burst is quite difficult compared to Ascendance.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2013-02-04 at 02:51 PM.

I was going for pure haste build and its not really that fun. Switching to mastery/Crit build with EoE. Problem with ele shams you don't get to have much leeway with secondary stats outside of what's on your gear. Since you should be gemming enchanting resilience all the way.

im liking crit for ele. your EB and fulmination really do no damage unless they crit so you kind of have to. for pvp, imo it goes crit > haste > mastery. ascendance is honestly a shit cooldown. during it i go from almsot never casting to hardcasting a spell every global, which at that point, you're asking for it. on use + EM, cast EB with insta lava burst and fulmination stacks is much better burst.
    Arena Master Elemental Shaman
    Maeros@Illidan
    http://www.twitch.tv/chroniclinex
    http://www.youtube.com/chroniclinex

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUntsAhts View Post

I'm really not sure how Ele will do. Glyphed Sham Rage will be really nice, and might even make them less of a train target. We'll have to see I guess.
    That isn't going to get you kills most of the time, ESPECIALLY in arena. Crit is for ele blast and fulmination crit timings to increase chance of a high burst kill. Nobody expects an ele shaman to deal 200k dmg in 2 globals with no cooldowns up.

Quote Originally Posted by chronicline View Post
    im liking crit for ele. your EB and fulmination really do no damage unless they crit so you kind of have to. for pvp, imo it goes crit > haste > mastery. ascendance is honestly a shit cooldown. during it i go from almsot never casting to hardcasting a spell every global, which at that point, you're asking for it. on use + EM, cast EB with insta lava burst and fulmination stacks is much better burst.
    I'd go for Crit > Mastery > Haste in that case, Mastery improves the dmg of Lvb and Eb by a decent amount, i'm usually sitting at higher haste ratings anyway because of 5% Aura and 5% passive from AS.

Deleted
    I'd probably go 15% haste for the extra tick + base casting speed, rest into crit then mastery.

Mastery is almost the same thing as crit anyway, you are doing double the damage the skill would have done(not exactly but something close to double). And because mastery will always have a higher value than crit I see no reason to reforge crit.

Deleted
    You guys seem to like crit but calculations say mastery is better, and its the same burst with the EB/fulm/whatever combos, and better burst during Ascendance.
    Just think, why would you want crit when 1/3 of your damaging spells already have 100% crit? Im tempted to go haste, that EB cast feels sooooo long.

I think with the recent changes to unleashed fury it may be worth taking over EB as it is very hard to cast in arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschachs View Post
    I think with the recent changes to unleashed fury it may be worth taking over EB as it is very hard to cast in arena.
    I don't think so.

Unleashed Fury provides no burst, 10% additional lvb dmg aren't that much, your lvb may deal 5k-6k more dmg, Lb will still hit like a fart in the wind.

Also, UF effect is dispelable, so dispels will hurt you twice, the only reason to take UF is the utilitiy it provides but the GCD required for switching weap enchant kills this as well.

Without Eb, you destroy your best possibility to kill anyone outside of Ascendance.

^ i have to agree there. This isn't pve so that talent is near useless. I can't imagine myself without elemental blast either. Best way to kill someone when CDs aren't up.

Eb > lava surge proc > earth shock is still pretty damn good.

Problem with going crit is that you can't get it very high so you'll still be screwed over with a 13% crit chacne in stead of an 8. Maybe in a year or so :P