Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by evokanu View Post
    Yes i would miss it, it allows me to tailor my gear more towards what stats i need to optimize my performance, different classes needs different stats even if they use the same resources.
    Exactly. In fact, taking them away would put a heavier workload on the itemization team, as it would then be up to them to create tons of new gear with all the minor variances and such that gemming/reforging/enchanting now handles.
    "Let's see. There are monkeys that evolved into men and monkeys that didn't. Just as well, there are men that remained men and men that evolved into something else. Do you really think humans are the ultimate form of evolution? How arrogant."
    --Kakurine, Evil Zone for PS1

Deleted
    Wooooooooooooooooooooo there horsey , gemming and enchanting is all part of the experience of gaining new gear and trying to optimize it to the best you can ,
    taking it away just makes the game more simplified and child like with no real thought having to go into your toon or making it better,,
    sorry but any1 who thinks this is a good idea needs to go play Hogger or something if they cba to put any effort in ..p;

Quote Originally Posted by laserguns View Post
    I'd miss Enchanting but I've never liked gems. I think one means of item upgrade per slot is enough really.

Everything is kind of tuned around it though. If there are a bunch of secondary stats people will want to fine-tune what they get.

To be honest I'd like to see Dodge and Parry merged into one stat, and Mastery and Expertise removed. Then Jewelcrafting, instead of offering stat increases, could offer what I'd call tertiary perks like 1% run speed gems
    I like them gem idea and wouldnt mind exp. gone but i like mastery

Lol if they went up with this idea... to delete or make trivial such profesions... they could do that with every profession tbh. Nice stale and grey game it will become. I totally agree about the racials though. They should have been removed since vanilla or have every racial be the same or have every racial be a choice upon creating the character.

Deleted
    I like gemming and weapon enchats. Wouldnt miss other enchants.

I think people are reading too much between words.

Removing gemming and enchanting is so insanely awful idea, it wouldn't really enter any sane mind. However, after seeing what has been done to the game for the last 3 expansions, I wouldn't be really surprised if gemming and enchanting were removed.

As an enchanter I wouldn't really miss either.

There was something to be said for winning an item you've been waiting for and just putting it on, even if you didn't enchant it right away it was usually an upgrade as is, especially in classic when enchants were pretty meh overall anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    I think people are reading too much between words.

Removing gemming and enchanting is so insanely awful idea, it wouldn't really enter any sane mind. However, after seeing what has been done to the game for the last 3 expansions, I wouldn't be really surprised if gemming and enchanting were removed.
    Gemming and Enchanting are on the same boat as Reforging, which is a pretty new idea.

It's a no-brainer busywork you have to do every time you aquire some gear. Oh, you won a nice chest armor? Too bad you suck now, because it's not enchanted/gemmed/reforged yet! Go do that, pay up!

If you want item customisation, why not. But gems and bonuses can't be no-brainers. EVERY hunter will gem agility. But, if, for example, gems on gloves were like "increases the range of your attacks by 2 yards" "increases your attack speed by x" and "causes your attacks to heal you for x", everybody would either use them to adapt to different situation, or create his own, unique hunter. Gems don't need scrapping, but certainly need changing.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want item customisation, why not. But gems and bonuses can't be no-brainers. EVERY hunter will gem agility. But, if, for example, gems on gloves were like "increases the range of your attacks by 2 yards" "increases your attack speed by x" and "causes your attacks to heal you for x", everybody would either use them to adapt to different situation, or create his own, unique hunter. Gems don't need scrapping, but certainly need changing.
    Wrong.
    As long as you tie in any sort of character power it will be mathed out and FOTM'd again.
    If you don't tie in any character power, stuff gets declared as meaningless.

Same issue with the new talent system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eschaton View Post
    From GC's twitter feed someone made this comment:

to which GC replied:

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Ignoring the damage it might do to professions, would you miss gemming and enchanting?

The important bit is the thought experiment of what that might do to professions? I'll admit that gearing choices can be a bit overwhelming these days unless you're simply working off of a BIS list.

For me personally, this is the most interesting thing to pop out of GC's head in a while assuming that it's something that is in the back of his mind.

So, what do you think?
    Out of the current character development, the only thing I wouldn't miss is hit rate.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    I wouldn't miss gemming and enchanting.

Both are massive gold sinks and it totally sucks getting a non bis drop for a slot, fully gemming and enchanting that piece and then having a tier item drop for that slot within days!

With reforging and gems/enchants the overall cost of upgrades are going through the roof to the point where I just CBA to enchant any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Lol if they went up with this idea... to delete or make trivial such profesions... they could do that with every profession tbh. Nice stale and grey game it will become. I totally agree about the racials though. They should have been removed since vanilla or have every racial be the same or have every racial be a choice upon creating the character.
    As though professions aren't already stale and grey? The average raider only gets to a certain level with them and drops all interest in the profession. Occasionally a piece is a readily accessible piece that outperforms a raid item of the same ilvl, creating demand for that profession. Each profession has a stable income in a few items which are mandatory, no-choice items for any serious player.

When people think of WoW's successes, professions are at the very bottom of the list. Just about nothing would be lost except those few high-demand pieces of gear, which could easily be remedied by adding them to various BoE tables.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Briga View Post
    I wouldn't miss gemming and enchanting.

Both are massive gold sinks and it totally sucks getting a non bis drop for a slot, fully gemming and enchanting that piece and then having a tier item drop for that slot within days!
    Maybe economics on our servers are too different, but on my server everything which doesn't require Sha Crystals goes below cost of mats and almost free of charge. SHa Crystal enchants are different story on AH, but, don't know for you, we have loads of them from doing raids (and we aren't hardcore farmers), so all such enchants are sorted for our people.
    But, if, for example, gems on gloves were like "increases the range of your attacks by 2 yards" "increases your attack speed by x" and "causes your attacks to heal you for x", everybody would either use them to adapt to different situation, or create his own, unique hunter.
    I don't see why such suggested gems couldn't coexist with current gems. We could use some more versatility for as long as those gems won't have "situational" stats (e.g. fight designed around gems with "attack range boost" stat, and next fight requires you to help healers by self-heals due to some massive aoe) so as raider you wouldn't feel pressed to re-gem for each fight - now THAT would be expensive
    Last edited by Ferocity; 2013-02-04 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eschaton View Post
    From GC's twitter feed someone made this comment:

to which GC replied:
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Ignoring the damage it might do to professions, would you miss gemming and enchanting?
    The important bit is the thought experiment of what that might do to professions? I'll admit that gearing choices can be a bit overwhelming these days unless you're simply working off of a BIS list.

For me personally, this is the most interesting thing to pop out of GC's head in a while assuming that it's something that is in the back of his mind.

So, what do you think?
    No I wouldn't particularly miss it. But do we really need to make this game more streamlined and simplistic? Next expansion you only have to look at ilvl and everything else is out of your hands? Everything gets automated in WoW and it really does look like this is a game for 10 year olds.

---------- Post added 2013-02-04 at 11:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosWolf View Post
    Exactly. In fact, taking them away would put a heavier workload on the itemization team, as it would then be up to them to create tons of new gear with all the minor variances and such that gemming/reforging/enchanting now handles.
    No it wouldn't. They would just simplify it more and that would mean you don't have to handle anything. You will just get gear and be hit capped and have everything else you need. You wouldn't need to adjust stats or anything.
    To be honest I believe they are crazy enough to go through with something like this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    If by customization you mean, doing what is optimal otherwise you're doing it wrong, then yeah I agree they do offer quite a bit of customization.
    This is kind of how I feel too... That said, it does feel nice to stick a gem in an item and get better.

Like Pre-Mop talents, I think it can be done better than now. Getting a new item drop that's better, but being worse if you equip it until you can get back to town to "fix it" is perhaps not ideal... I trust GC and the entire Wow team to continue to make things better (as in, more enjoyable), overall, over time.

If that means less doing what a website or add-on tells you is "right", then bring it on. The story of gemming and enchanting is cool, it could just use... improving some how.

There are 2 problems here:

1) GC should stop using Twitter, because throwing up 4 words sentences only makes people believe shit, like in this case, there is already a "GC should be fired, now he wants to drop enchanting?" cry

2) The current state of the professions is TOTAL CRAP.

I would rather have the professions made interesting than being removed. It's easy to remove, it's much harder to make it fun

Drop them or make Haste vs. Crit a lifestyle choice, get rid of caps and plateaus, while you're at it.

Maybe replace it with something like Diablo 2's Rune Word System, meaning you can use slots in your armor to puzzle together some sort or rune or gem set giving a general bonus or quality of life bonus.

People are using the gold sink word here, which is totally wrong. Gold sinks remove gold from game, like repairs and reforging, professions move your gold to the enchanters and jewelcrafters. Anyway it would be totally silly to remove the professions, gear has to come from multiple routes, there should actually be even more player run ways of customizing and boosting your gear than there already is.

Seriously people are reading too much into things. They cannot remove or change it without it having a huge effect.

And why would people want to remove a thing that is still a way to "custom" ones character? Is it truly that annoying to go to AH buy the mats and find a GUILD enchanter? And if you did not have a guildenchanter, get off your lazy asses and create an alt. It may cost you a few thousand to level up but it would save you a lot aswell.

Apart from the fact that my main is a JC/enchanter, I wouldn't mind change a profession. If they would remove/change them drastically, I'd make myself into a alchemist/Blacksmith. My alts would be farming the mats.

I think having a JC/enchanting prof is an enrichment to the game. Removing it is silly and lazy.

And saying that changing JC to just creating items like a necklace... is just... meh. Don't you feel stupid when you have leveled your leatherworking to the max and have nothing to do with it after a certain point in progression? Your created items are never as good as the heroic versions. While enchanting keeps being needed aswell as JC.

Deleted
    I agree that people are reading too much into this.

Yes, I would miss gemming and enchanting.
    Simple, dead on.

It's a game mechanic that I have been familiar with since the beginning, of course I would miss it, along with the other dozen mechanics that were taken out.
    Do I miss them? Yes.
    Have I quit because of them? No.
    Will I quit if gemming and enchanting was removed? No.