Poll: Do you think this is a good change to Professions?

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Levelling Blacksmithing with Ghost Iron 1-500 - Other profs going to see a change?

Hey there so I just saw this article http://www.wowhead.com/news=210415/5...-megaera-video
    And by the looks of it its going to make levelling BS'ing alot less painful.

If leveling Blacksmithing always seemed daunting, 5.2 should make this a bit easier. There is a series of new Training Projects requiring Ghost Iron Bar that should get you from 1 to 500--no more flying around Azeroth for Mithril Ore.
    Do you think this change is for the good? and do you think we will see this change brought into other professions?

Personally I quite like this change, BS'ing has been the only proff that I have never gotten to max level due to certain levels of ores being annoying to grind or overly expensive to buy, and I always lose interest and end up scrapping it for a proff that I enjoy levelling!

I also wouldn't mind them bringing in the same idea to other proffs too!

NOTE:

Can we stop with the insults and impying laziness people. It's not about lazyness, its about change, things have changed in the game over the years that affects the way professions now work, due to faster character levelling etc.

No ones asking for a profession to be handed to them at level cap, we just want it to be more fun and less tedious. And I for one would love to hear peoples ideas on how to do this!

The current change (ghost iron) doesn't solve this issue, but it does help out in the meantime, till such a day comes when/if Blizzard decides to overhaul the proffs.
    Last edited by The Glitch; 2013-02-04 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Added Note

Deleted
    WOW that is an amazing change...

I have all the professions across all of my alliance alts(don't play horde any more) except of a Black Smith. I have been dreading leveling it after doing it once...

This is a welcome change. I hope they introduce something similar for Engineering as well.

Indeed! I always have to push myself into the right mind set when I think of levelling BS'ing, it's just one of those proffs that I don't enjoy as much and only really level for the end benefits, unlike other proffs thats I enjoy practically all the way through, I think engineering could definitely benefit from this kind of change also!

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that's a great change to be honest. My, there are suddenly a lot of threads about professions. I'm on record in any number of places that professions are something they're thinking about a great deal these days.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

maybe it's just me, but i think professions like leatherworking or enchanting are much more annoying than bs

God forbid you have to actually work to lvl a profession. Having some engagement outside of MoP should be a good thing. Why not make the professions alittle harder and make them more rewarding later on. We all have two, would love to have seen the option ot become a master at one with significant rewards and a lesser with moderate rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by Eschaton View Post
    I think that's a great change to be honest. My, there are suddenly a lot of threads about professions. I'm on record in any number of places that professions are something they're thinking about a great deal these days.
    Yep with Ghostcrawlers recent tweet about a hypothetical *Gemming and Enchanting* question it does lead me to believe they are seriously looking at professions as something that need a slight overhaul, and I agree with that sentiment!

Quote Originally Posted by Nayelar View Post
    maybe it's just me, but i think professions like leatherworking or enchanting are much more annoying than bs
    It may well just be down to an individual thing, I would say I think of LW'ing as the most annoying after BS'ing, but I love enchanting (i have levelled it on over 6 toons) While enchanting is still painful in regards to mats (especially seeing as these days levelling a prof along side levelling up isn't as equal due to outlevelling zones/instances faster than profs can keep up) I enjoy enchanting alot more than BS'ing.

I think this is a step in the right direction, but I don't think its a complete answer to the problem. I had though about them perhaps combining a gathering skill into the primary proffs that require them, but I dunno if that solves the problem or makes it worse in the long run. Still its nice to know it's something thats on their radar

---------- Post added 2013-02-04 at 05:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kennyisnotdead View Post
    God forbid you have to actually work to lvl a profession. Having some engagement outside of MoP should be a good thing. Why not make the professions alittle harder and make them more rewarding later on. We all have two, would love to have seen the option ot become a master at one with significant rewards and a lesser with moderate rewards.
    I love the engagement of being in the world, but to be fair there is nothing engaging for me personally about mindlessy flying around a zone looking for a gold dot on my maps, and spending hours doing so. What with the fact your not always able to level proffs alongside levelling your toon, due to how fast levelling is these days, I feel they need to readjust proffs to co-operate along side the levelling side of things.

However I like your idea of maybe making them a little harder, but making them more rewarding, its certainly an idea that holds merit.
    Did you have any exaples of the kinds of rewards they could perhaps put in? Or how they could make it a little more challenging?
    Last edited by The Glitch; 2013-02-04 at 05:58 PM. Reason: typos galore, no doubt i've missed a few lol

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Considering how simple they made it to level from 525 to 600, I am not at all surprised by this change. I don't mind if they change it or leave it the same, it's like anything else in the game, just have to invest the time.

Quote Originally Posted by palamanian View Post
    Considering how simple they made it to level from 525 to 600, I am not at all surprised by this change. I don't mind if they change it or leave it the same, it's like anything else in the game, just have to invest the time.
    Aye I certainly noticed the drastic change in ease to cap out proffs this expansion around. And I liked it, previous expnasions having those last 2-3 skill ups being a right pain in the arse to get was frustrating. (having to make 30 odd items to get lucky enough to get those last 3 points.. eurgh) It is time consuming and I wouldn't mind time consuming if it was engaging, fun, challenging, however atm for me personally i find it tedious;/

Deleted
    It will hurt new players who don't have gold and would take gathering professions at start. Who's gonna buy low level ores now? Even worse if it comes to all professions.

Quote Originally Posted by Avezo View Post
    It will hurt new players who don't have gold and would take gathering professions at start. Who's gonna buy low level ores now? Even worse if it comes to all professions.
    This is also a valid point, but right now I feel the prices of low level ores is out of hand, even halving the prices of ores on the AH would still net lowbie playersdecent gold, and there are still going to be people that want to level up the profession on a toon that is below level 85 so lowbie ores will still be wanted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Avezo View Post
    Have to agree with this. Currently leveling soem low level Horde toons, and my previous start up gold mine of cooking mats has taken a significant hit since they introduced the cooking leveling from 1-500 in Halfhil. You can now level in Halfhil for pocket change, so my normally well selling clam meat and bear flanks and stuff are going for barely 30s a piece, IF I even sell them. If other professions go the same way there'll be little that new players or server rerollers can do to make some cash from leveling up a toon and selling their random stuff they find.

Only thing that has opened up is that you can sell pets on any server, so you can sort of transfer gold that way in small amounts. But that's a limited and time consuming market, and not open to new players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yay for lazy people everywhere that are unable to put in a few hours worth of effort...

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Yay for lazy people everywhere that are unable to put in a few hours worth of effort...
    It good to be lazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Its not about lazy, I don't see myself as lazy, I love levelling toons and have over 30 of them, at various stages.And I love spending hours in this game doing things I find fun, that many people would say is pointless or *if it doesn't progress my characters stats then I won't do it* I love levelling proffs too, but now that levelling your toon is much faster, the previous continuity of the level proffs/while levelling has been made uneven, I think they need updated to be in line with where the game is now. Not how the game was back then.

I don't want things made easy, I just want them to be fun,and engaging. Nothing fun about clicking create all and going afk for half an hour. Nothing fun about endlessly farming old mats for hours to get 5 skill ups, (if your lucky) nothing fun about buying all the mats off the AH!

10+ Year Old Account
    Much better, leveling Crafting profession is a hassle, nothing more nothing less. I hope they do it for LW and Tailoring too.

I think its a great change for a couple reasons.

1. Proffessions give power bonuses to pve and pvp making them pretty mandatory.

2. This should increase the price of Ghost Iron ore making it actually worth farming.

I think this change should be added for other proffessions aswell.

I like that professions are now quickly becoming easier to level. I would rather spend less time on professions and more time on content. I welcome the cooking change for BSmithing and every other profession. I know that Arch and Fishing will always be boring and tedious, and that cooking / first aid are easy (but spendy) to power level. All main professions should have that high level option to spend a few hundred G on mats to powerlevel it in an hour. Would save me hundreds of hours of farming random mats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Turkey View Post
    This is also a valid point, but right now I feel the prices of low level ores is out of hand, even halving the prices of ores on the AH would still net lowbie playersdecent gold, and there are still going to be people that want to level up the profession on a toon that is below level 85 so lowbie ores will still be wanted.
    It would probably fall by far more than half. I don't think there'd be anywhere near enough players who need the lower ores to level to make them worth anything. Most of the buyers would be people who are trying to make specific lower-level things (like the scrapbots that go into Jeeves), and that's not enough to fuel the prices. The costs would likely drop to almost nothing. (Some of the ores already sell for almost nothing.)

I like the idea behind this, but I don't think it should use Ghost Iron. It would be better using the ores that are required for each level set.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think Blizz backed themselves into a corner with CRZ and this is their fix to the inconvenice it causes when farming low level mats.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.