Poll: Do you think this is a good change to Professions?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    I like the idea behind this, but I don't think it should use Ghost Iron. It would be better using the ores that are required for each level set.
    Kinda defeats the purpose. The idea behind one ore is to avoid hours of farming mats in old zones.

---------- Post added 2013-02-04 at 11:44 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    I think Blizz backed themselves into a corner with CRZ and this is their fix to the inconvenice it causes when farming low level mats.
    I would imagine it does look a bit like an apology lol. I hope they do it for all proffs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastmasterGuardian View Post
    Kinda defeats the purpose. The idea behind one ore is to avoid hours of farming mats in old zones.
    If it was like one bar per skillup then it would still be a massive improvement over the current profession grind since each skillup usually requires 8-12 bars.

It would probably fall by far more than half. I don't think there'd be anywhere near enough players who need the lower ores to level to make them worth anything. Most of the buyers would be people who are trying to make specific lower-level things (like the scrapbots that go into Jeeves), and that's not enough to fuel the prices. The costs would likely drop to almost nothing. (Some of the ores already sell for almost nothing.)

I like the idea behind this, but I don't think it should use Ghost Iron. It would be better using the ores that are required for each level set.
    I guess server depends on this too though, but I do agree prices would probably drop quite a bit, but I still think there would be a need for the ore, as it stands now I see many people that flood the AH with lowbies ores, only do it because they know they can inflate the prices and people wants it, (thats nott o say there arent players puting up what they farm when out levelling etc) and maybe we would see a drop in how much is on the AH when those high level farmers see that they won't make as much, meaning less lowbie ore on the AH keeping prices at a decent standing.

I do also agree though that using Ghost Iron as the fix atm, isn't perhaps the msot elegant and in future expansions could probably cause issues. However for now I think it does help players out alot.

Deleted
    How will i sell old conponents now :s

I enjoy leveling enchanting, but BS has always been my nemesis. I like the change. I'd like it better if you could salvage items for a chance at raw materials, just like you can do with enchanting. It would be cool if you could scrap higher level white and grays and have a shot at getting equivalent level ore. Flying around looking for low level mats is neither engaging nor interesting. Running through a dungeon for enchanting mats, potentially bringing along another lowbie or two, is much more fun. If you could do the same, running old dungeons for mats, I think that would help. You could salvage scrolls (that could drop more often) for inks, healing and mana potions for herbs (extracts, you could rationalize), etc.

Re: low level ores, I don't think it will hurt them at all. With everyone being able to PL using just Ghost Iron, the price of that ore will go up. As long as copper ore is cheaper than GI, copper will sell just fine.

If it was like one bar per skillup then it would still be a massive improvement over the current profession grind since each skillup usually requires 8-12 bars.
    Thats a good point actually, lessening the amount of bars needed for an item certainly would make it less frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Nayelar View Post
    maybe it's just me, but i think professions like leatherworking or enchanting are much more annoying than bs
    Eng and LW are probably the worst. Eng for requiring crafting mats from miners, skinners, JC, and cloth and LW because it requires so much leather which is much much harder to farm than ore. I can level a BS in less than a day by flying my miner around a few zones for an hour and the only thing that is annoying about it is having to find an anvil(which is fixed now with porta-anvils).

Enchanting can be bad if you want to get all the mats yourself. Leveling it while leveling is the best way even though you will outpace it these days. Thee are always plenty of enchanting mats on the AH to level even though it is expensive.

The only bad thing about changes like this is that it will devalue low level crafting mats. That means new players or server rerolls wont be able to make much gold while leveling since they cant farm anything people want to buy.

Deleted
    Btw i think that it will totally destroy the trading, goods from professions are oftenly expensive cause you have to grind this profession - now that it'll be easier to grind a profession, things wont cost many golds, and professions will no longer be a way to make golds.

Soo now people leveling mining will not be able to sell anything lol?

Deleted
    Oh my god yes! I gave up blacksmithing because I couldn't get the old patterns so if they make a return I can go blacksmith again without having to spend ages farming low level stuff.

I agree.

I guess its just easier for them to add plans that use Ghost iron than it would be to go back and change all the blacksmithing plans to require less mats. But like I said, I think this will be good because Ghost iron will actually be worth farming for gold again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuragalolz View Post
    Btw i think that it will totally destroy the trading, goods from professions are oftenly expensive cause you have to grind this profession - now that it'll be easier to grind a profession, things wont cost many golds, and professions will no longer be a way to make golds.
    No it wont, what you are saying is the only reason items cost a decent amount of gold is because the grind to lvl to cap on a prof? The truth is no one cares about that its the current mat price + either a tip or supply and demand of a recipe.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    I think its a great change for a couple reasons.

1. Proffessions give power bonuses to pve and pvp making them pretty mandatory.

2. This should increase the price of Ghost Iron ore making it actually worth farming.

I think this change should be added for other proffessions aswell.
    The bots and gold farmers are always going to be ones that determine the price of mats. If for some unknown reason they are not able to meet the demand then it may make the cost of Ghost Iron ore rise and this will have a knock on effect on other professions such as JC and enchanting so whilst it may cheaper to level BS you will find that it is more expensive to gem and enchant your gear.

What's the point of this shit? There's zero actual effort going in to these "revamps".

Just go up to the trainer and pay 2000g to level up to 500 whatever it is.

That's about the same effort they put in to this gutter trash revamp. They might as well just save time and do that.

Not like crafting is an actual enjoyable aspect of the game anymore, not like it has any depth whatsoever. Wow, I'm amazed at how shit the crafting system in this game is. What an embarrassment.

Quote Originally Posted by kingriku View Post
    No it wont, what you are saying is the only reason items cost a decent amount of gold is because the grind to lvl to cap on a prof? The truth is no one cares about that its the current mat price + either a tip or supply and demand of a recipe.
    The supply could go up and lower prices but its more likely that people who couldnt spend the time to level a prof before its nerfed wont have the patience to make and sell stuff on the AH.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kingriku View Post
    Yep it's because of that, if it wasn't, peoples wouldn't even buy thoses things, since they could simply grind an alt and farm for themselfs.
    Now that we'll reach this point, i think that it's better to delete professions from the game lulz.

WoW is an mmo. Mmo tradeskills, imo, should be a pain in the ass. Theres plenty of players that dont have profs, and they dont have them because they dont want to put in the time it takes. This game is getting better and better...for casuals and non mmo players. Pokemon had to add IVs, EVs, Natures, etc so Asian kids dont get bored, WoW has to put in past content skips, because multi expansion tradeskills are just too complicated and time consuming for the average American/European.

/sigh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    Eng and LW are probably the worst. Eng for requiring crafting mats from miners, skinners, JC, and cloth and LW because it requires so much leather which is much much harder to farm than ore. I can level a BS in less than a day by flying my miner around a few zones for an hour and the only thing that is annoying about it is having to find an anvil(which is fixed now with porta-anvils).
    I've done both blacksmithing and engineering a few times since 4.0. I found engineering much easier than blacksmithing. It requires far fewer mats, and if I remember right there was only one thing that required a little bit of leather. The cloth requirement was annoying, though.

I also tried leatherworking recently...it was much worse than blacksmithing. x_X

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    The bots and gold farmers are always going to be ones that determine the price of mats. If for some unknown reason they are not able to meet the demand then it may make the cost of Ghost Iron ore rise and this will have a knock on effect on other professions such as JC and enchanting so whilst it may cheaper to level BS you will find that it is more expensive to gem and enchant your gear.
    Well, the thing is, even if Ghost iron cost more gold to buy on the Ah it would still be something you can farm yourself for free. And I really doubt that the price will rise that much. On my server a stack of 20 is going for around 30 - 40g. I would think with this change it might rise to 60 - 100g at the most.

I'm not sure if other proffessions like enchanting are going to be changed in the same way so I can't really comment on how a change like this would effect them. However I think enchanting could use a similar change simply because its pretty tough to level.

Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    Re: low level ores, I don't think it will hurt them at all. With everyone being able to PL using just Ghost Iron, the price of that ore will go up. As long as copper ore is cheaper than GI, copper will sell just fine.
    It looks like there is a huge range of the required number of ghost iron bars to skill up through 500/525, anywhere from 1 per 10 skill ups to 100 per 5 skill ups. So the max price of the old mats is fixed at some equivalent to the number of ghost iron bars it replaces.

Lol right now it takes 900 bars to get from 376 to 421. Cobalt will probably still be used and probably saronite too.