Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    My only issue with the REVO is the PCI-E, which... while better, is a limitation. I suppose I could find a motherboard with like... 6-8 PCI-E 1x slots? But right now I think they're looking to do a RAID-0 across as many SSD's as possible. Data redundancy and capacity are pretty much a non-issue.

The previous build was across 7x Velociraptor drives
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-02-04 at 07:18 PM.

I'm sure it's been said but the 840 pro is mlc not tlc memory.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    My only issue with the REVO is the PCI-E, which... while better, is a limitation. I suppose I could find a motherboard with like... 6-8 PCI-E 1x slots? But right now I think they're looking to do a RAID-0 across as many SSD's as possible. Data redundancy and capacity are pretty much a non-issue.

I guess it isn't a limitation when you have a server board with a dozen PCI-E expansion slots (or more).

You can just raid a ton of the Seagate drives with a SAS controller.

Or if all you want is pure speed just raid a few http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820239409
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2013-02-04 at 07:37 PM.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    how about a ramdisk? (utter overkill likely but could it work?)

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    Volatile storage isn't a reliable solution.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2013-02-04 at 07:51 PM.

Deleted
    Out of curiosity, what are enterprise level SSDs? I still do occasional contract work with a military design company, and they're always looking for stupidly high hard drive speeds where cost isn't an issue.
    Well besides the PCI-E SSD's the "regular" Enterprise unit are ultra-reliable, they come with Power Loss Protection so they won't lose any data etc. You pay an arm and a leg for it. More info here

10+ Year Old Account
    While they could afford it, protection and reliability aren't a concern. A cheap, crappy, but stupidly fast transfer drive would actually be a better choice. I Guess a server board with a dozen lanes would be perfect. I'll go start looking those up. The biggest bottleneck (I'm not super familiar with the software. It's some sort of imaging/calculation software that is drive intensive) is the drive bandwidth and read/write speed. Whatever it is, it was able to fully saturate the 7x SATA lanes.

I'm familiar with how PCI-E 3.0 works and 16x lanes.. I'm not super familiar with having multiple 1x lanes. It all goes through the same controller so at what point does it become 'too many'? Is there a PCI-E 16x equivalent that would function better?

While they could afford it, protection and reliability aren't a concern. A cheap, crappy, but stupidly fast transfer drive would actually be a better choice. I Guess a server board with a dozen lanes would be perfect. I'll go start looking those up. The biggest bottleneck (I'm not super familiar with the software. It's some sort of imaging/calculation software that is drive intensive) is the drive bandwidth and read/write speed. Whatever it is, it was able to fully saturate the 7x SATA lanes.

I'm familiar with how PCI-E 3.0 works and 16x lanes.. I'm not super familiar with having multiple 1x lanes. It all goes through the same controller so at what point does it become 'too many'? Is there a PCI-E 16x equivalent that would function better?
    Sounds to me like very high IOPS might be a priority, I can't see calculations being to big of a file size when it comes to read/write.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    I personally wouldn't mind ramdisking WoW only. It's fairly big now with addons and will only get bigger with expansions. It doesn't look like Haswell will allow for 64 gb ram, though. With only WoW on it, it's not really something I'd worry about as backing up wow is as easy as copying a folder to a different directory.

-Nish

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    If you were in charge of procurement in the IT department of a business with that kind of work-load, why the hell would you be using consumer level SSDs in the first place?
    well, that was kinda my point, if I was then those numbers would concern me and I would look for another alternative, however, I am not, so I don't.

Deleted
    Okay, so much offtopic going on here.

I have a deal from a guy selling a barely used Intel 330 180GB for the price of $170/€125 (converted from my local currency). The drive has a warranty until the end of 2015.
    E1/F1's attribute (Host Writes/Total LBAs written) is 840GB, which is something like 5 P/E cycles.
    The 128GB SSDs in my country's retail shops cost around $140-$160(€100-€120), so this is a good deal.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by nitrobg View Post
    Okay, so much offtopic going on here.

I have a deal from a guy selling a barely used Intel 330 180GB for the price of $170/€125 (converted from my local currency). The drive has a warranty until the end of 2015.
    E1/F1's attribute (Host Writes/Total LBAs written) is 840GB, which is something like 5 P/E cycles.
    The 128GB SSDs in my country's retail shops cost around $140-$160(€100-€120), so this is a good deal.

What do you think?
    Where do you live?
    I think it is expensive for a used drive, in Sweden which is pretty expensive when it comes to hardware you can get a brand new for €135.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Where do you live?
    I think it is expensive for a used drive, in Sweden which is pretty expensive when it comes to hardware you can get a brand new for €135.
    I live in Bulgaria. A brand new here is around €140-€160 incl. delivery, it's still a bit cheaper than retail price.

Quote Originally Posted by nitrobg View Post
    I live in Bulgaria. A brand new here is around €140-€160 incl. delivery, it's still a bit cheaper than retail price.
    Well I never pay more than 70% of retail price if I buy something used. Less than that if it is something older than a few months.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Well I never pay more than 70% of retail price if I buy something used. Less than that if it is something older than a few months.
    You have a point, I will try negotiating a lower price, hoping that he will drop it to around €100-110. The drive has 60 Power Cycle counts, it looks barely used.

10+ Year Old Account
    Via http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/ssd.html

Baseline Ratings for top 3: OCZ Revodrive 3 M - 9044, OCZ Revodrive 3 x2 - 7457, OCZ Revodrive 3 - 4650

Crucial M4 - (256gb version) 2957 : 86th
    OCZ Vertex 4 -3488 : 47th
    OCZ Agility 4 - Not Benched or not in top 100
    ADATA SX900 - 3668 : 31st
    Samsung 840 - 3606 : 39th

Might be sort of useful.

Deleted
    Managed to negotiate €110 with shipping and I've got it and already installed into my notebook.
    The drive is perfect, I simply love it, the notebook is no longer lagging because of its slow as *&!^@#*! 5400rpm hdd.

Thank you everyone for the help!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Via http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/ssd.html

Baseline Ratings for top 3: OCZ Revodrive 3 M - 9044, OCZ Revodrive 3 x2 - 7457, OCZ Revodrive 3 - 4650

Crucial M4 - (256gb version) 2957 : 86th
    OCZ Vertex 4 -3488 : 47th
    OCZ Agility 4 - Not Benched or not in top 100
    ADATA SX900 - 3668 : 31st
    Samsung 840 - 3606 : 39th

Might be sort of useful.
    useless site, useless benchmarks. Really wish that site didn't exist so people don't base their choice on bad info.