Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New A10 pc = urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggh

Yo,

I heard this place is good for advice, I'm badly needing some help here!

I bought a pc yesterday

AMD Quad Core A10-5700 3.4 GHz, up to 4.0 GHz with AMD Turbo Core Technology
    internal AMD Radeon™ HD7660D DirectX® 11 Graphics from cpu
    8 GB DDR3-SDRAM
    1 TB (1,000 GB) GB S-ATA hard drive
    Windows 8

My old pc currently runs wow just as smooth as it.... with

core 2 duo e6750
    8800gt
    2gb ddr ram

All of the review benchmarks for the new pc come out way ahead than the old one...cpu x 4 as good, 6gb more ram, only the graphics is close.

When I'm playing wow the fps isnt that high but when flying on mount I feel like the mount is being pulled back etc..... just feels wrong.

I've tried updating graphics drivers, changng to directx9, making the cpu stay at 3.6ghz instead of going up and down all the time, I've installed all of the wow updates, all windows updates.

I'm out of ideas now, I've watched youtube vids of the same spec (dunno about windows 8) getting 30-40fps in bf3 with fraps recording.. I'm lucky to get that in a dead wow zone on medium quality.

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

10+ Year Old Account
    the HD7660 is not a gaming gpu, it's for media encoding

add a HD7770 or HD7850

Deleted
    also because of resources of that CPU being used for graphics gives a really bad performance hit when amd cpu's don't match that well with wow in the first place.
    get a dedicated card, hell your old GPU might even be better.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, you purchased a PC that has a CPU/graphics combo?

If that's the case, there's your problem. I'm not too familiar with this technology. That being said I can honestly tell you that having a dedicated graphics card is much, MUCH better than that sort of setup.

At first I thought it was a laptop, but you said PC. Your old 8800GT might actually be faster than that new processor/graphics combo.

Again, I'm really unfamiliar with this technology, but I wouldn't expect much in terms of performance from it. This is why they created dedicated graphics cards.

15+ Year Old Account
    it also depends on what speed the RAM is that you bought
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by leezer View Post
    AMD Quad Core A10-5700 3.4 GHz, up to 4.0 GHz with AMD Turbo Core Technology
    8 GB DDR3-SDRAM
    1 TB (1,000 GB) GB S-ATA hard drive
    Windows 8

Graphics from cpu
    Whyyyyyyyyyyyy???

To help to your problem, I don't know how you can feel that your mount is *going back* but it might just be an impression, Else how the game run?
    Try a battleground or a dongeon, too see how the computer can handle it. But usually, integrated graphic card are not for gaming.

And this

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    also because of resources of that CPU being used for graphics gives a really bad performance hit when amd cpu's don't match that well with wow in the first place.
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

10+ Year Old Account
    the A10 is an APU, they are not bad for integrated graphics, but, it's still an HD7660, the 7770 is entry level for 3d gaming

as Demon pointed out, ram speed helps, on an APU getting 2133 speed ram will increase the framerate, but that is only if you are using the integrated GPU iirc,

10+ Year Old Account
    What is your ram speed, if its less than 2400MHz its not fast enough for a trinity cpu build.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    the A10 is an APU, they are not bad for integrated graphics, but, it's still an HD7660, the 7770 is entry level for 3d gaming

as Demon pointed out, ram speed helps, on an APU getting 2133 speed ram will increase the framerate, but that is only if you are using the integrated GPU iirc,
    Correct. RAM will do little for framerates in games so long as you have enough of it. (I.e, it doesn't have to buffer from the harddrive.)

And as others have said, your problem is definitely the CPU/GPU (APU) combo. I really wouldn't recommend gaming without a dedicated graphics card at all. Pretty much any old card will be better than yours.

In fact, you could probably move your old 8800 to the new computer and have improved performance. Though this may or may not be possible if you've got some horrible brand name PC. Some of them have really weird solutions that prevent your from changing parts with ease. Also, you would have to make sure the power supply can cope. Which, if it's designed for just what's currently in the computer, it may well not.

Hopefully this has given you some helpful pointers.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 7660D can actually do some low end gaming as seen here in various games. It actually does horrible in encoding and was intended for low end gaming while keeping low power draws. RAM speed does indeed increase the performance of the 7660D by quite a bit as seen here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...0k,3224-5.html

To say the 7660D can't game at all with acceptable framerates is entirely false.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2013-02-05 at 01:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    The 7660D can actually do some low end gaming as seen here in various games. It actually does horrible in encoding and was intended for low end gaming while keeping low power draws. RAM speed does indeed increase the performance of the 7660D by quite a bit as seen here:

To say the 7660D can't game at all with acceptable framerates is entirely false.
    that's also a very bad benchmark, they might as well have pointed the camera at a wall

10+ Year Old Account
    that's also a very bad benchmark, they might as well have pointed the camera at a wall
    The WoW benchmark is a flight path... so I'm not sure how that relates to a wall. The benchmarks used in Anandtechs are actual preset benches that they used on almost every GPU they test. So basically, you're saying that the time that most people spend leveling and actually out questing or even doing dailies is in direct relation to pointing at a wall... Then the other benchmarks that Anandtech uses as a standard to test all of their other GPU's (including those listed in the bench lists) are equivalent to pointing at a wall? Are you mad?

Edit:

While you're at it, how about discrediting Physics
    Last edited by Saithes; 2013-02-05 at 01:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The WoW benchmark is a flight path... so I'm not sure how that relates to a wall. The benchmarks used in Anandtechs are actual preset benches that they used on almost every GPU they test. So basically, you're saying that the time that most people spend leveling and actually out questing or even doing dailies is in direct relation to pointing at a wall... Then the other benchmarks that Anandtech uses as a standard to test all of their other GPU's (including those listed in the bench lists) are equivalent to pointing at a wall? Are you mad?

Edit:

While you're at it, how about discrediting Physics
    well, the flightpath benchmark i could run that same benchmark and get 400 fps, that doesn't mean i can quest and raid at that same framerate, it's long been known that flightpath benchmarks are not in anyway representative of how most players play wow, if you want a proper benchmark, do 1920x1080, all settings maxxed, and do a 25 man raid, and do an average framerate from each boss fight

a flightpath has very little demand on your hardware, and does not bring out where the improvement in hardware capability counteracts wow's poor engine

so, basically what im saying is that toms, and even anandtech, have no clue what they are doing with their benchmarks of wow, but thats understandable, they probably do not play wow very much

also, alot of people don't level by questing anymore, LFG is the fastest way to level

physics..hmmmm

direct time travel to the future is not possible because the current present point in time is the event horizon of the universe expanding within the dimension of time, but you can warp your own spacetime field by traveling close to the speed of light, but you cannot create a wormhole and travel to the future

---------- Post added 2013-02-04 at 07:08 PM ----------

Are you mad?
    ie "UMADBRO"

are you seriously trolling?
    Last edited by Cyanotical; 2013-02-05 at 02:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I meant mad as in crazy, if I wanted to troll I would have. My point here is that he is having trouble flying around and not in a 25man raid which in this instance should be playable as shown by my links. If anything, flying on a mount is just as stressful as a flightpath.

Definition: disordered in mind : insane

You obviously didn't read his post so I'll quote it for you.

When I'm playing wow the fps isnt that high but when flying on mount I feel like the mount is being pulled back etc..... just feels wrong.

I'm out of ideas now, I've watched youtube vids of the same spec (dunno about windows 8) getting 30-40fps in bf3 with fraps recording.. I'm lucky to get that in a dead wow zone on medium quality.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2013-02-05 at 02:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I meant mad as in crazy. My point here is that he is having trouble flying around and not in a 25man raid which in this instance should be playable as shown by my links. If anything, flying on a mount is just as stressful as a flightpath.

Definition: disordered in mind : insane
    if you want to relate that benchmark, a good gaming pc should be in the hundreds of FPS on those settings, and wow's graphics engine has been updated since they ran that benchmark, so i imagine that without higher speed ram and/or a dedicated GPU, the OP won't be seeing any higher framerates or better gameplay

this is a perfect case of "just because it's newer, that doesn't mean it's better"

10+ Year Old Account
    if you want to relate that benchmark, a good gaming pc should be in the hundreds of FPS on those settings, and wow's graphics engine has been updated since they ran that benchmark, so i imagine that without higher speed ram and/or a dedicated GPU, the OP won't be seeing any higher framerates or better gameplay

this is a perfect case of "just because it's newer, that doesn't mean it's better"

We're not discussing whether or not this is a good gaming PC.. We're discussing if its playable. Even with the update, a 7660D can pull 40-60 fps flying around in pandaria with 1920x1080 and medium settings. I know this because I recently built one.

As others mentioned, and the benchmarks indicate, you'll want to make sure you have at least DDR3-1866 or higher and you can also add a 6670 for crossfire to improve the performance in most games. There are a few cases where if you have trouble with framerates you'll have to turn off crossfire.

Are you maybe referring to the strange effect where when you're flying back there is like a jerk of lag and your toon bounces back about 1/4 of an inch or half a centimeter? I had this problem a long time ago(with an old dual core intel and a x1950 pro) and it was fixed when I moved to an SSD. So it could have been drive issues or a problem with windows.

That being said, what version of windows are you running?

Deleted

I'm not sure if you're relating to my post or not, but I'll reply anyhow.

I meant that Cyanotical was correct in his assumption that RAM will only really have a noticable impact on a combined GPU/CPU.

Also, as far as the acceptable framerate goes... Saying that it CAN game with acceptable FPS is very much subjective.

For instance, personally I don't think 41 FPS during a flightpath or questing is playable at all, as it would dip into the low 20's during something like LFR, I imagine. If even that.

Of course, everyone has their own definition of what 'playable' and 'acceptable' are. But my recommendation to get an actual GPU stands, as I'm pretty certain it will improve performance. (So long as it's better than the integrated one, of course.)

We're discussing if its playable. Even with the update, a 7660D can pull 40-60 fps flying around in pandaria with 1920x1080 and medium settings. I know this because I recently built one.
    Taking flight paths is not actually playing the game, that's why those are hopeless shit benchmarks. Doing some group content is playing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Moucalgeon View Post
    you can also add a 6670 for crossfire to improve the performance
    Noooooooooooooooooooooo

Using two low end cards is the worst idea ever. You get all the bad things of Crossfire from it and none of the benefits.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

We're not discussing whether or not this is a good gaming PC.. We're discussing if its playable. Even with the update, a 7660D can pull 40-60 fps flying around in pandaria with 1920x1080 and medium settings. I know this because I recently built one.
    The key word there is flying. It is in no way representative of how the pc would run in raids and dungeons.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno