Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Do you know how many galaxies there are in the universe?

Approx 170 billion
    Last edited by l4808; 2013-02-06 at 12:16 PM.

Deleted
    Or more.

Universe is huge.

None, because there aren't any galaxies on earth?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyanide View Post

(British Chocolate, best chocolate)

^ bam

/10char
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by l4808 View Post
    Approx 170 billion

(This thread has a purpose, trust me)
    I really don't think there's that many chocolate bars on Earth.

Deleted
    This one too!

Another one...

Do we need to count the units?

And so the point of the thread reveals itself.
    As a matter of fact, the word "the world" is not limited to our earth. It includes everything, yes, the universe too.

Of course, in most people's mind "the world" is earth. But the correct meanin includes the universe. I too was a bit "upset" and souldn't accept this, but yeah... In the end, I wanted to see how long it took before someone pointed it out.

As a matter of fact, the word "the world" is not limited to our earth. It includes everything, yes, the universe too.

Of course, in most people's mind "the world" is earth. But the correct meanin includes the universe. I too was a bit "upset" and souldn't accept this, but yeah... In the end, I wanted to see how long it took before someone pointed it out.
    Is that really the only reason you made this thread? Jesus.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Is that really the only reason you made this thread? Jesus.
    To be fair, i think this is much more interesting then half of the other threads created daily ^^

Deleted
    There are 73 galaxies.

Predominant definition is the earth only. The phrase 'the end of the world' refers to the end of Earth.

World is a common name for the whole of human civilization, specifically human experience, history, or the human condition in general, worldwide, i.e. anywhere on Earth.

In a philosophical context it may refer to:
    the whole of the physical Universe, or
    an ontological world (see world disclosure).
    I could be wrong but, due to the lack of context in the first post you can't blame people for pointing it out.

There's exactly one galaxy in the world, and it's on Orion's belt.

I'm of the opinion that words mean what most people think they mean, even if they can be bent to mean other things.
    So "world" means "Earth".
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get it. "In the world" means "in the known or observable Universe?"

world
    [wurld] Show IPA
    noun
    the earth or globe, considered as a planet.
    ( often initial capital letter ) a particular division of the earth: the Western world.
    the earth or a part of it, with its inhabitants, affairs, etc., during a particular period: the ancient world.
    humankind; the human race; humanity: The world must eliminate war and poverty.
    the public generally: The whole world knows it.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/world?s=t

No... it just means the Earth.

Deleted

(This thread has a purpose, trust me)
    and what would that be? to see ones definition of the word "world"? yeah awesome thread dude

There's no way to know how many galaxies are in the called universe call it space call it world or whatever you want.

The universe keeps expanding as far as I know, and there's a lot of things we will never see or understand. We could stay here arguing here for all the eternity and this will take us nowhere.