Page 1 of 21
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[NEWS] Gay Marriage made Legal in the U.K

Its finally happened ^^. After much effort and near odds, gay marriage has finally been legalized in the U.K, allow for same sex couples to be married legally.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21346220

MPs have approved same-sex marriage in England and Wales in a key Commons vote, despite the opposition of almost half the Conservative MPs.

The Commons voted in favour of the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill, by 400 to 175, a majority of 225, at the end of a full day's debate on the bill.

Prime Minister David Cameron has described the move as "an important step forward" that strengthens society.

Voting lists show that 136 Conservatives opposed the bill.

This figure includes two cabinet ministers - Environment Secretary Owen Paterson and Welsh Secretary David Jones - eight junior ministers, and eight whips.

Of the remaining Conservative MPs, 127 were in favour, 35 did not vote, and five registered an abstention by voting both in favour and against.

Junior justice minister Helen Grant said: "As Tories we do differ at times. We have squabbles - we're like any other family."

But she described the legislation as "a major step forward for equality and justice".

'We are all equal'

Opening the debate, Equalities Minister Maria Miller urges MPs to back the bill
    Deputy Prime Minister and Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg said: "I genuinely believe that we will look back on today as a landmark for equality in Britain.

"Tonight's vote shows Parliament is very strongly in favour of equal marriage.

"No matter who you are and who you love, we are all equal. Marriage is about love and commitment, and it should no longer be denied to people just because they are gay.

"The Liberal Democrats have long fought for equal marriage. It is party policy and I am proud that the Liberal Democrats are part of the coalition government that are making it happen."

MPs were given a free vote on the bill, meaning they were not ordered to vote a particular way by party whips.

Their decision to back the bill at second reading signifies that they approve of it in principle. The legislation will now receive more detailed parliamentary scrutiny.
    Even with half the conservatives voting against it, the other half, plus voters from labor and liberal democrats got the vote to pass. Even with threats given by some conservatives about leaving there party if gay marriage was made legal, the PM didn't back down. For once I glad to see a conservative leader determine what is right.

Deleted
    about time!
    would have been quite silly if it got rejected in this day and age.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes! I can be a princess!
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Your telling me. It's just that easy to make gay marriage legal in all of the U.K just like that? better then the system we have in United States where some of the states don't allow it.

Oh that's wonderful news.

Deleted
    The topic is mis-leading. It's not actually legal *yet*. You can't go with your gay partner tomorrow to a church or a registry office and get a certified marriage certificate. So its not legal yet. This vote is part of the process of it becoming legal. It won't be legal until royal accent. This is an ongoing process, the bill was approved in this stage by House of Commons, its yet to go to the House of Lords for further scrutiny and maybe some amendments, then it returns to the Commons.

Although I agree with the sentiment and idea behind the post, just wanted to clarify that its mis-leading, since it's not actually legal yet.

Edit: Just wanted to add that this vote was the Second Reading of the bill so there is much more stages to go in this and you can see the process of bills becoming laws in UK here: parliament.uk/about/how/laws/passage-bill (can't post links)
    Last edited by mmoce79af35acc; 2013-02-05 at 11:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    Your telling me. It's just that easy to make gay marriage legal in all of the U.K just like that? better then the system we have in United States where some of the states don't allow it.
    because of the size of the U.K major laws are passed and it becomes country wide. Districts can be for or against laws but they are instructed to comply with it.

Also, because of the church of england being its own religious set in the country, well churches can refuse to permit gay marriage, because of the law now passed they can be taken to a court of human rights for opposing someones right to marry based on there orientation.

Suprised to hear they didn't have it already. Though basicly all west/north European countries had this already, was a long time ago it was allowed in the Netherlands afaik anyway.

No matter, it is good that it is allowed now. People are people regardless of their sexual orientation.

Deleted
    Not quite, its passed the second reading in the house, it still has to clear the lords, and since it was not a manifesto subject it cant be forced through with the parliament act if the lords chuck it out.

Though i hope that it goes through the lords without issue.

Its not a perfect change, it still grants exceptions and equality subject to exceptions is just discrimination by another name, but its a step in the right direction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quo View Post
    The topic is mis-leading. It's not actually legal *yet*. You can't go with your gay partner tomorrow to a church or a registry office and get a certified marriage certificate. So its not legal yet. This vote is part of the process of it becoming legal. It won't be legal until royal accent. This is an ongoing process, the bill was approved in this stage by House of Commons, its yet to go to the House of Lords for further scrutiny and maybe some amendments, then it returns to the Commons.

Although I agree with the sentiment and idea behind the post, just wanted to clarify that its mis-leading, since it's not actually legal yet.
    thats fair enough, but there has hardly ever been a case of a law being voted for in number that doesn't then get legalized, so fact of the matter its now just a matter of time for it to do so.

Fuck yeah! High five, OP!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's almost like they're a relatively homogenous island with the population of New England.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    because of the size of the U.K major laws are passed and it becomes country wide. Districts can be for or against laws but they are instructed to comply with it.

Also, because of the church of england being its own religious set in the country, well churches can refuse to permit gay marriage, because of the law now passed they can be taken to a court of human rights for opposing someones right to marry based on there orientation.
    Only because the coe is the established church and under obligation to marry people, so the coe refusing to marry gay people would be the state discriminating.

Its easy to solve, just disestablish the church of england as the national religion. Then its just another religion amongst many and we would finally be secular.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    thats fair enough, but there has hardly ever been a case of a law being voted for in number that doesn't then get legalized, so fact of the matter its now just a matter of time for it to do so.
    That's true, however there might be an issue in terms of House of Lords approval. The same happened with the Fox Hunting Ban. There is an Act however that can support governments and the House of Commons from passing legislation through the House of Lords. It's called the Parliament Act and it was used to get the Fox Hunting Ban through. The problem with this however is, that since Gay Marriage was not on any Parties Manifesto it will be difficult to use that to force it through the Lords.

The House of Lords contains many members of the Church of England, Bishops and alike, which are likely to vote no to this bill when it gets to this stage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    It's almost like they're a relatively homogenous island with the population of New England.
    New england has 62million people?

10+ Year Old Account
    good for the UK, now if only America could follow their example then we would be really getting somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihuitl View Post
    New england has 62million people?
    The region does, yeah

---------- Post added 2013-02-05 at 11:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ranku View Post
    good for the UK, now if only America could follow their example then we would be really getting somewhere.
    It could theoretically happen this year, as DOMA is being challenged in the Supreme Court
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    About time, although for those outside of the UK it was always just a battle for the right to call yourself "married", civil partnerships are essentially the same thing without the title.
    The lable matters.

Its much more than a title.

If i have to label myself as in a civil partnership then i am labelling myself as gay, and there is still discrimination. Also, if there is no difference then call it the same, if you call one marriage and one civil partnerships you are differentiating by saying one is not the measure of the other.....

---------- Post added 2013-02-05 at 11:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    The region does, yeah[COLOR="red"]
    Really? Wiki says 14 mil

The U.S. is having a supreme court case on gay marriage soon, so hopefully it won't be far behind. The gay marriage movement seems unstoppable.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure were you're getting your numbers from GreatOak, but the Wiki™ says there's only 14mil in New England. Are you by chance including New York state with it?(The Wiki™ doesn't).
    Wiping is Fun! ™