Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    ter·ror·ism
    noun \ˈter-ər-ˌi-zəm\

Definition of TERRORISM

: the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion

Systematic use of violence to create a general climate of fear in a population and thereby to bring about a particular political objective. It has been used throughout history by political organizations of both the left and the right, by nationalist and ethnic groups, and by revolutionaries. Although usually thought of as a means of destabilizing or overthrowing existing political institutions, terror also has been employed by governments against their own people to suppress dissent; examples include the reigns of certain Roman emperors, the French Revolution (see Reign of Terror), Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union under Stalin, and Argentina during the “dirty war” of the 1970s. Terrorism's impact has been magnified by the deadliness and technological sophistication of modern-day weapons and the capability of the media to disseminate news of such attacks instantaneously throughout the world. The deadliest terrorist attack ever occurred in the United States on Sept. 11, 2001 (see September 11 attacks), when members of al-Qaeda terrorist network hijacked four commercial airplanes and crashed two of them into the twin towers of the World Trade Center complex in New York City and one into the Pentagon building near Washington, D.C.; the fourth plane crashed near Pittsburgh, Pa. The crashes resulted in the collapse of much of the World Trade Center complex, the destruction of part of the southwest side of the Pentagon, and the deaths of some 3,000 people.

Just because they are not directly fighting off a threat doesn't mean they are not protecting your country and others, By playing 'world police' the US effectively makes the world in general a safer place. Keeping shipping lanes safe, Having enough muscle to counteract other regional powers etcetera.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militar...strial_complex

10+ Year Old Account
    Originally Posted by BaP

Please name a country that we are ruling over and taking all their oil???
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Taking it would be too obvious. You just have to install corrupt puppet regimes that take bribes and sell their countries riches for a fraction of their value.
    Name them please ????

Quote Originally Posted by Vallin View Post
    Wrong. Remember how its ILLEGAL for you not to sign up for selective service at age 18? If less people joined the military, the government would re-enact selective service to refill the ranks. And seriously, do you feel the need to insult people who have been in the armed services? These people give up their lives for what they believe is right and just and you are one of the people that would spit in their faces for their services? Its alright to question the government, but don't sit there and blame the people who sign up for the military and than get screwed by political decisions. Their sacrifices deserve some amount of recognition.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedymonkey View Post
    Just because they are not directly fighting off a threat doesn't mean they are not protecting your country and others, By playing 'world police' the US effectively makes the world in general a safer place. Keeping shipping lanes safe, Having enough muscle to counteract other regional powers etcetera.
    World police

Funny how the rest of the world thinks differently about this. Propaganda is a scary thing, especially when so many people eat it like it's a free XXL meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    I would say this: you can question the motives of a government and what they do with their army all you want, but don't go around disrespecting the guys who would be standing between you and the bullets defending your ass if the time came.
    This here so many times. It isn't the soldiers fault that the government does dubious stuff. They genuinely believe they do it for freedom and to protect their country. And they genuinely risk their life wherever they are.

Once you are in a full blown war with another country you will cry for help from those people.

Damn those people who have no idea what war means. Afghanistan is far away... thus I don't care? Bad attitude, bad.

I can respect a soldier for putting his/her life at risk, I mean that sort of experience seems impressive/interesting to me. I'd have to ask each soldier on an individual basis whether they fight for their countries interests, or if they are fighting for what they believe in. But I imagine many soldiers also join the army to get paid, because being unemployed sucks.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

But think about this, both sides believe that they are just defending their freedom / country.

Yet one side we consider villains? The other side heroes?

No that doesn't work, I just consider both sides people trying to do their job.
    Last edited by Purlina; 2013-02-07 at 02:59 PM.

If you disagree with what the military is being ORDERED to do, then change those orders through the democratic process. Don't hate on the people doing what your elected officials told them to do.

Don't disrespect the soldiers out fighting, disrespect the government that send them there! The solders are simply doing their job

Quote Originally Posted by BaP View Post
    Originally Posted by BaP

Please name a country that we are ruling over and taking all their oil???

Name them please ????
    Iraq - currently

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1954_Gu..._d%27%C3%A9tat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammad_Reza_Pahlavi

Under the direction of Kermit Roosevelt, Jr., a senior Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) officer and grandson of former U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt, the American CIA and British Secret Intelligence Service (SIS) funded and led a covert operation to depose Mosaddegh with the help of military forces disloyal to the democratically elected government. Referred to as Operation Ajax.
    There are a lot of examples, actually. South America and the Middle East.

OP you need a history lesson about how America treated vets coming home from Vietnam. Also go sign up for the Marines or Army if you think it is so easy. Ungrateful fucks make 180+ day submarine deployments harder. Go leave your home state and family for 8+ years like I did and only get to see them on a set schedule of 2 weeks MAYBE a year.

10+ Year Old Account
    New flash: man has being fighting each other forever.

The only reason you can sit at your PC and type your post is because you live in a relatively stable country and are allowed to express your opinions, a vast majority of the global population does not have this luxury.

If you want to make a difference, stand as a politician, become an activist - get out there and do something.

Yes, some military personel may be naïve about what exactly they are doing, but what exactly are you doing about your views?

The military in a democracy is a tool of the government, who is in turn voted in by the people: therefore a tool of the people.

Many democracies are facing ridiculously low voter turnouts: help make people realise they should vote and should definitely be interested in politics, instead of whining about things when they didn't vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    OP you need a history lesson about how America treated vets coming home from Vietnam. Also go sign up for the Marines or Army if you think it is so easy. Ungrateful fucks make 180+ day submarine deployments harder. Go leave your home state and family for 8+ years like I did and only get to see them on a set schedule of 2 weeks MAYBE a year.
    Nowhere did the OP say that being a soldier is easy....so dial down your rage a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkangle View Post
    World police

Funny how the rest of the world thinks differently about this. Propaganda is a scary thing, especially when so many people eat it like it's a free XXL meal.
    Did I not say the US government is responsible for the majority of the worlds perception about the US? I am a 100% supporter of bringing our troops home and just not giving a care about anything anymore.
    Thank You Shyama for the sig again!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by speedymonkey View Post
    As for 'world police', this is nothing new.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...regional_peace

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeltons View Post
    The war in Iraq was first called "Operation Iraqi Liberation", but was quickly changed after they realized it spelled "OIL". The soldiers are not at fault for buying the propaganda that's being fed to them on a daily basis, they are honest people "defending" their country; it's the leaders/politicians that apparently believe that war and oil is a good stimulant for the world economy and its growth.
    Lol, it was never called "Operation Iraqi Liberation" only people that read the twisted lies you find in sites like Urban Dictionary would believe crap like that!!! Operation Iraqi Freedom was the only name ever given to the lie President George W. Bush fed this country to get an ok for that war.
    Last edited by BaP; 2013-02-07 at 03:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    People in the armed forces fight for the intrest of their country. As a Brit i have a lot of respect and admiration for those in the armed forces (i'm unfit for millitary service).
    Very rarely would i call armed forces personnel 'heroes' for doing their job, I'd call them a hero for Saving/helping their comrades or civillains whilst in a difficult situation.
    Stormrage 4 lyfe

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Whatever your opinions and views are, generally people who serve in the Military are good, honest people who want to do nothing more to serve their country in one of the most dangerous, and courageous ways possible.
    There's no other imaginable reason for going into the army, riiight? I'm sure no one has anything but altruistic thoughts, doing it because they want to 'know how it is', have a physically challenging job or because it'd be fun to wave a gun surely isn't the reason. That most people (I know) who've been in the army give these reasons is just because they are too embarassed to admit that they want to serve their country, surely.

Or, stop honoring people for doing what they get paid for, especially when said job involves killing people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khraine View Post
    People in the armed forces fight for the intrest of their country. As a Brit i have a lot of respect and admiration for those in the armed forces (i'm unfit for millitary service).
    Very rarely would i call armed forces personnel 'heroes' for doing their job, I'd call them a hero for Saving/helping their comrades or civillains whilst in a difficult situation.
    A hero goes above and beyond what is expected of them, most end up dead. The vast majority of people that serve just do their jobs and try to get home with all their bits still attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Faustus View Post

The military in a democracy is a tool of the government, who is in turn voted in by the people: therefore a tool of the people.
    Exactly the military is a tool. It could be used for "good" or "bad", to "defend" or to "oppress".

We should not arbitrarily vilify or praise soldiers for being what they are. A soldier deserves praise or condemnation based on each of his actions.

Judging a person purely based on their occupation is retarded. If you see a soldier without knowing what he has done, you should not treat him any better or worse then another random person on the street.
    Last edited by Purlina; 2013-02-07 at 03:16 PM.