The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    whats with all this serious defending of Cutler, this discussion is silly, get silly or get out!
    It just bothers me that everyone thinks so low of him when he really is a great guy. He doesn't care enough about what other people think of him to ever say anything, but I went to one of the Jay Cutler shows and he was great. Talked to the crowd during the break, took pictures and signed autographs for awhile after the show ended. Or the fact that he was a huge supporter of Movember for ESPN Chicago which led to over $20k worth of donations for cancer research. He works with Dedicated to Diabetes to raise awareness for his type 1 Diabetes which can go undetected for awhile. Stuff that these media people would never write about.

And yet he's the 4th hated person in all of sports. Makes sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    And yet he's the 4th hated person in all of sports. Makes sense.
    Nope, made no sense to me either, which is why I sort of put forth the question why his public persona was so unpopular. Can't say I've really seen in answer in this thread as to the cause of it. Might it be the high profile trade to Chicago and the lack of convincing results there? I mean that's what Romo seems to have going against him, high profile, lots of expectations and little results.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Nope, made no sense to me either, which is why I sort of put forth the question why his public persona was so unpopular. Can't say I've really seen in answer in this thread as to the cause of it. Might it be the high profile trade to Chicago and the lack of convincing results there? I mean that's what Romo seems to have going against him, high profile, lots of expectations and little results.
    Everything started with the NFC Championship game in my opinion. People had this perception he just quit (you had idiots like MJD tweeting about how he let the team down (And then he proceeds to hold out with 2 years left on his deal prior to this season)). An MRI showed he had done serious damage to his MCL in the first quarter and was actually playing through that during the 2nd quarter (kinda like Rondo playing through his ACL tear, not sure how they do this with the pain). He was obviously super frustrated and was shown sitting on the bench sulking (instead of standing on the sideline). As a Bears fan it didn't bother me at all, what Jay felt is exactly how I felt. If it doesn't bother a Bears fan I don't see how it bothers every other football fan but it apparently does. And they can't let it go.

People hate Jay Cutler for reasons completely unrelated to football. See: this story.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-to-me-by-text

Everything started with the NFC Championship game in my opinion. People had this perception he just quit (you had idiots like MJD tweeting about how he let the team down (And then he proceeds to hold out with 2 years left on his deal prior to this season)). An MRI showed he had done serious damage to his MCL in the first quarter and was actually playing through that during the 2nd quarter (kinda like Rondo playing through his ACL tear, not sure how they do this with the pain). He was obviously super frustrated and was shown sitting on the bench sulking (instead of standing on the sideline). As a Bears fan it didn't bother me at all, what Jay felt is exactly how I felt. If it doesn't bother a Bears fan I don't see how it bothers every other football fan but it apparently does. And they can't let it go.
    I totally agree. People see RG3 playing on a bum knee and they go "OMG HERO". No dumbass, playing on a bum knee is not heroic when 1) you still lost the game and 2) by playing through the injury, he added an ACL tear to his injury report instead of just an MCL. Jay Cutler did the smart thing by sitting the fuck out and he gets castrated for not being tough enough.
    Last edited by Neazy; 2013-02-08 at 01:48 AM.

I don't get the connection between LT and Cutler? Did Jay play linebacker during those San Diego games?
    LT had some of his best games of his career against Denver when Cutler was the QB. He may not have played linebacker, but he definitely did his best to play terribly and not match scores.

Also Plummer had 11 TDs/12 INT/68 rating, hardly stats that scream "How can you bench me?" At that point in time Jay was simply better than Jake who was on his last legs.
    Cutler wasn't really all that much better, plus he had a losing record and failed to win what should have been a very winnable game at the end of the season. Plummer was going through a mid-season slump and Denver's brass got excited and proceeded to throw the season in the process. Cutler wasn't ready to jump into a playoff hunt that year.

15+ Year Old Account
    Greg Williams added a darkest timeline goatee during his suspension last year. I laughed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neazy View Post
    I totally agree. People see RG3 playing on a bum knee and they go "OMG HERO". No dumbass, playing on a bum knee is not heroic when 1) you still lost the game and 2) by playing through the injury, he added an ACL tear to his injury report instead of just an MCL. Jay Cutler did the smart thing by sitting the fuck out and he gets castrated for not being tough enough.
    The funny thing about that is RG3 was walking around the sidelines after he was finally taken out, too. Maybe if Cutler's injury had been more grotesque and apparent people would have been ok with it.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MC ALPACA FLAYME View Post
    LT had some of his best games of his career against Denver when Cutler was the QB. He may not have played linebacker, but he definitely did his best to play terribly and not match scores.

Cutler wasn't really all that much better, plus he had a losing record and failed to win what should have been a very winnable game at the end of the season. Plummer was going through a mid-season slump and Denver's brass got excited and proceeded to throw the season in the process. Cutler wasn't ready to jump into a playoff hunt that year.
    Uh what? He played terribly? Just pulled his stats and in the 5 games he had with Denver against San Diego he average 250 yards per game with 7 TDs and 6 INT. Certainly not great, but terrible? Terrible is the Denver defense that allowed FORTY ppg in those 5 games. Pretty moronic how you think Cutler is the reason SD went 4-1 in those 5 games.

And Plummer was not in a "slump" he had been mediocre at best the entire year. Plummer had one game during the 11 games he started that year where he threw for at least 230 yards. ONE. Jay did it twice in his 5 starts at the end of the year.

You are just another mindless Jay Cutler hater who blindly believes he is a bad QB who leades his team to losing. You want to believe it so bad you just block out everything and focus on anything you can that gives credance to what you want to believe. JAY is the reason the Chargers dominated the Broncos in those 5 games, but is Drew Brees the reason the Saints missed the playoffs? Is Aaron Rodgers the reason the Pack lost in the divisional round in back to back seasons? Nah, of course not. Use the quarterback is responsible for his teams winning and losing when it's convenient.
    Last edited by Stommped; 2013-02-08 at 07:14 PM.

Yeah you clearly didn't watch Denver play during the Plummer and Cutler eras, let alone follow that team.

10+ Year Old Account
    are we living in some fantasy world where yardage determines QB worth? I always thought the point of the game was to score points and win

stop calling people mindless haters when there is no hate, the only mindlessness is your constant defending when nobody is even badmouthing the guy, ffs chill out

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah you clearly didn't watch Denver play during the Plummer and Cutler eras, let alone follow that team.
    Well I'm not sure you did either, considering Jay had his best NFL season on the Broncos; throwing for 4500 yards, 25 Tds/18 Ints and making the Pro Bowl. In your world you "fucking love Jay Cutler" because he's some terrible quarterback who gave your team free wins. It's actually very sad to see because I know you, like many others, truly believe this and you are so blinded by your bias/hatred of him that you will never let your mind accept the fact that he is anything other than a failure. Maybe it's because he and Philip Rivers liked to jaw at each other, maybe it's cause you don't like his demeanor, maybe you're just jealous of him. Who knows, only you and the many other people who feel this way know why.

---------- Post added 2013-02-08 at 02:41 PM ----------

are we living in some fantasy world where yardage determines QB worth? I always thought the point of the game was to score points and win

stop calling people mindless haters when there is no hate, the only mindlessness is your constant defending when nobody is even badmouthing the guy, ffs chill out
    Are you serious? Scroll up a few posts. He just said he loved the Jay Cutler days because LT made it his personal stomping grounds; and then proceeded to say it was due to Jay's "terrible" play. In what world is that not badmouthing him? And if I can't give you a QB stats to refute the point of "he was terrible" I don't know what you expect.
    Last edited by Stommped; 2013-02-08 at 08:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you serious? Scroll up a few posts. He just said he loved the Jay Cutler days because LT made it his personal stomping grounds; and then proceeded to say it was due to Jay's "terrible" play. In what world is that not badmouthing him? And if I can't give you a QB stats to refute the point of "he was terrible" I don't know what you expect.
    yea because he played lousy, I thought we were talking about hating the man, their offense sputtered as bad as their defense with him under center, they lost, my teams won, it was nice, we miss him and his losing ways

were you watching the games? are you going to throw boxscores at the people that saw him play to prove us wrong? its nice that you're on the Cutler bandwagon now that he's on your team, but if you can't keep up here maybe you should find something else to do rather than pretending to know anything about it, its tiresome

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes because clearly me defending Jay Cutler means a lack of football knowledge, really bright there.

---------- Post added 2013-02-08 at 02:54 PM ----------

yea because he played lousy, i thought we were talking about hating the man, their offense sputtered as bad as their defense with him under center, they lost, my teams won, it was nice, we miss him and his losing ways

were you watching the games? Are you going to throw boxscores at the people that saw him play to prove us wrong? Its nice that you're on the cutler bandwagon now that he's on your team, but if you can't keep up here maybe you should find something else to do rather than pretending to know anything about it, its tiresome
    How dare i use facts to support my claim. You're argument is "WAH WAH Jay Cutler is terrible, if you don't agree with me then leave!" Again I'll go back to Drew Brees. The Saints were 7-9 this year. Are Saints fans saying "Man we need to get rid of his Drew Brees guy, he was only 7-9 this year." There's 53 guys on a roster, 30 of which see a huge chunk of playing time during the game. This blaming or praising QBs for wins and losses is one of the most moronic things in all of sports.

Mark Sanchez made back to back AFC title games.
    Last edited by Stommped; 2013-02-08 at 09:12 PM.

Well I'm not sure you did either, considering Jay had his best NFL season on the Broncos; throwing for 4500 yards, 25 Tds/18 Ints and making the Pro Bowl. In your world you "fucking love Jay Cutler" because he's some terrible quarterback who gave your team free wins. It's actually very sad to see because I know you, like many others, truly believe this and you are so blinded by your bias/hatred of him that you will never let your mind accept the fact that he is anything other than a failure. Maybe it's because he and Philip Rivers liked to jaw at each other, maybe it's cause you don't like his demeanor, maybe you're just jealous of him. Who knows, only you and the many other people who feel this way know why.
    Nowhere have I stated he was a bad QB, just that he played pretty terribly whenever he played SD and he wasn't ready to inherit a team fighting for a playoff spot with 5 games left as a rookie. It just seems like you're looking for an argument when it's not even there to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account
    It just seems like you're looking for an argument when it's not even there to begin with.
    this a thousand times

you don't make any sense, it would be more like Falcons fans who miss Aaron Brooks because back in those days they destroyed the Saints, Brooks couldn't beat cousin Vick to save his life

stop acting like nobody ever padded their passing stats in garbage time in a game where they lost by 30+ points, sheesh, telling me he is good because he got yards? the Lions must have won 15 games this year with all the yards Stafford got, give me a break and try and gain a little perspective here

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    this a thousand times

you don't make any sense, it would be more like Falcons fans who miss Aaron Brooks because back in those days they destroyed the Saints, Brooks couldn't beat cousin Vick to save his life

stop acting like nobody ever padded their passing stats in garbage time in a game where they lost by 30+ points, sheesh, telling me he is good because he got yards? the Lions must have won 15 games this year with all the yards Stafford got, give me a break and try and gain a little perspective here
    I'm not sure why you pinpointed yardage? I gave you all the important QB stats, yards/TDs/Ints. The most important thing is blaming Cutler for those losses is going completely overboard. If he had thrown 3 or 4 picks every game and they lost by a couple field goals, then OK, you have a point to make. He threw more TDs than picks and the defense gave up 40 points per game. You should be saying, "man I miss that Denver defense, LT ran through that D like wet paper."

10+ Year Old Account
    Rob Ryan gets defensive coordinator job at New Orleans. Wonder how many people are calling him terrible because of Dallas this year pulling guys out of the stands asking if they wanna play football.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have just been looking over the off season changes, and potential free agents. NE has some big names that are coming up. We stand to lose Aqib Talib, Wes Welker and Sebastian Vollmer.

Now Talib was always going to be iffy, so I wasn't counting on him staying (even if it does suck, cause secondary was better with him).

Wes Welker is much more important to NE then to any other team, and he's unlikely to produce for any other team like he does for NE, so unless he has a brain fart and decides he wants to get paid I don't see him leaving.

Vollmer though, god that would seriously suck if we lost him. He's been outstanding for NE on the offensive line since he got drafted, and having to replace him would not come easy. I hope he caught whatever it is that inspires most of the players to stick to NE when they could probably get more elsewhere and stays.

My prepping for the Combine is proving to be somewhat difficult. There seems to be many differences in the mock drafts that I've been reading, so it's hard to get a gauge on who I should be looking at come the Combine.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    My prepping for the Combine is proving to be somewhat difficult. There seems to be many differences in the mock drafts that I've been reading, so it's hard to get a gauge on who I should be looking at come the Combine.
    Ya the differences are ridiculous. Usually in most years there is some idea of what the top pick teams are going to do and a general pecking order of the players. This year though, you get mocks with 3 QBs in the first round, 0 until the third round, and just complete randomness. Pretty nuts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Ya the differences are ridiculous. Usually in most years there is some idea of what the top pick teams are going to do and a general pecking order of the players. This year though, you get mocks with 3 QBs in the first round, 0 until the third round, and just complete randomness. Pretty nuts.
    So back to the old standby, just asking others what they think thier team will (should!) do. What do you hope/want the Lions to do? or anyone special in mind?

I've seen NE get defensive linemen mostly in the mocks I've seen. While probably true with NE's penchant to pick the best player on the board, I'm seriously, seriously hoping we could get a good corner out of this draft, even if we have been drafting a few over the past years. Although perhaps having a better pass rush will also improve our secondary's play, so maybe getting a good lineman will help in that respect too, idk.