Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Unhappy

People are really scared these days, and anything is threatening now. They always error on the side of caution, even if it's ridiculous. Anything can be perceived as a "Terrorist threat", including door-slamming.

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticViolence View Post
    People are really scared these days, and anything is threatening now. They always error on the side of caution, even if it's ridiculous. Anything can be perceived as a "Terrorist threat", including door-slamming.
    Not really people, I'd say people in USA. Which is, of course, not really surprising, but at the same time, kind of funny. You know, with their way of "sharing democracy and freedom".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    Not really people, I'd say people in USA. Which is, of course, not really surprising, but at the same time, kind of funny. You know, with their way of "sharing democracy and freedom".

Yes, you're right. I'm sorry. Sometimes I forget that this site is a global community, so when I make a statement like that, I'm talking about America, because that's where I'm from.

Tough luck then, I suppose. =/

10+ Year Old Account
    grenades are made to kill

I don't much like interjecting serious realities into what should be play, but I don't necessarily have a problem with it
    2nd grade is pretty young for imaginary fragmentary explosives, but also pretty young to really understand what happened with the suspension and why

If they wanted to take action I would prefer they first try to instill why the grenade play is inappropriate, maybe a meeting with the parents, 6-7 year old kids are going to need some help with these convoluted subjects, I don't see suspension as entirely necessary when there are other means of addressing the conflict

perhaps what is really worrying me is that its a grenade, cops and robbers don't throw grenades, cowboys and indians don't either, its the military saturation our culture has been getting lately that is being railed against here

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    These kids who imagine things may never conform to the system the government has in place. Suspending them shows that resistance will not be tolerated, and that you will become a drone regardless of your own desires. Yes.... I'm onto them.

Now, where'd I leave my tinfoil hat?
    I've actually had thoughts like this myself..As an adult with a still fully functioning imagination it is kinda a pain..Seem ALOT of people abandon it at some point.

But yeah this is just more fucked up shit..They wanna punish the ki they should just make him stay in school a few extra hours detention i think it was called...Way back in the fabled days of kids playing and having fun...Recess as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Dress codes only exist to suppress individuality. What someone wears is the responsibility of that person and their parents. There's obviously offensive things that make more sense (shirts with curse words or other things that distract other students), but on the general, there's no real reason to require dress codes.
    except that uniforms destroys the visible wealth gap between students and makes it far less likely that students could be sporting gang colors or signs in school. Most kids don't express themselves through clothes... it's not like they picked them out or bought them.. their parents did. If anything what a kid wears to school is a product of their parents wealth and fashion sense... not the kids.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say it has to do with our government now ruling by fear mongering instead of by giving hope..Been this way for decades since the cold war era.

---------- Post added 2013-02-08 at 09:35 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by seta-san View Post
    except that uniforms destroys the visible wealth gap between students and makes it far less likely that students could be sporting gang colors or signs in school. Most kids don't express themselves through clothes... it's not like they picked them out or bought them.. their parents did. If anything what a kid wears to school is a product of their parents wealth and fashion sense... not the kids.
    I did...I went clothes shopping with my mom and also they knew what i liked. That was as a little kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Here is his first lesson, joking about or playing violence at school is not ok, and leads to suspension, sounds like a winner to me. Maybe the parents might reconsider the kind of values and influence they allow for their kids too.

---------- Post added 2013-02-08 at 09:14 AM ----------

Yes, but interestingly enough we now have a society filled with ultra violent idiots who think that violence inflicted on people random is just okie dokey.
    yes. keep saying that pretend violence isn't okay on a forum that supports games that have tons of pretend violence in them. You basically just blamed video game violence for real world violence... which is actually a lot more reasonable than saying that playing cops and robbers or soldier would do it

---------- Post added 2013-02-08 at 03:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    I'd say it has to do with our government now ruling by fear mongering instead of by giving hope..Been this way for decades since the cold war era.

---------- Post added 2013-02-08 at 09:35 AM ----------

I did...I went clothes shopping with my mom and also they knew what i liked. That was as a little kid.
    fine. you're likely one of the few before the age of 12 who picked out their own clothes... and it doesn't change the fact that uniforms destroy the visible wealth gap between students and also would help decrease gang affiliation in schools and also doesn't change the fact that you can have your fashion and self expression after class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    but what store did you go to? there's truth to what both of you are saying, to say the child is a non-factor is over simplification, but at the same time there aren't going to be too many 7 year old hipster kids insisting that their wealthy parents buy their school clothes at goodwill

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    but what store did you go to? there's truth to what both of you are saying, to say the child is a non-factor is over simplification, but at the same time there aren't going to be too many 7 year old hipster kids insisting that their wealthy parents buy their school clothes at goodwill
    Just places like Fred Meyers and general shirts with say Spiderman, Wolverine, Dragons and similar thing..Oh and Power Rangers LOTS of Power Rangers. Also a few Gundam Wing ones.

---------- Post added 2013-02-08 at 09:44 AM ----------

yes. keep saying that pretend violence isn't okay on a forum that supports games that have tons of pretend violence in them. You basically just blamed video game violence for real world violence... which is actually a lot more reasonable than saying that playing cops and robbers or soldier would do it

fine. you're likely one of the few before the age of 12 who picked out their own clothes... and it doesn't change the fact that uniforms destroy the visible wealth gap between students and also would help decrease gang affiliation in schools and also doesn't change the fact that you can have your fashion and self expression after class.
    We didn't have alot of gangs here when i was young and even today we don't have many.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, obviously that's because people used to play war, cops and robbers when they were kids. I don't even know how to call this logic without getting an infraction.

And what the hell? Who are those people to lecture and tell other people how to live? If you're afraid of imaginary guns and grenades, and you're sure it leads to real violence - doesn't mean everyone else should suffer this stupidity.

Not imaginary guns, real guns, real violence, and real cause and effect. Kids thinking it is perfectly alright to imagine this situation might not always be too far removed from doing it. Is it social conditioning yes, unless this is Sparta, why is it prudent that this sort of behavior is given a blind eye. We have obviously witnessed the effects of absent parenting, and any kind of structure, and imo look where that got us. Entire generations who act and feel especially superior, or act on every emotion as a reaction and justification for everything.

Especially this meligned and benevolent attitude that "Oh that just society can't control everything" as some sort of logical or practical position. The one thing that is most constant in life is change, and it is the one thing as human beings as we get older we fight. How you grew up is by no means a significant testimony of anything other than your experience, that may or may not be unique in itself, doesn't suggest it was any less harmful or infact isn't a tradition our we should move away from.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    The school enforces a list of “ABSOLUTES,”
    But... Only a Sith deals in absolutes...

Get them out of there!
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Maybe if schools actually allowed their students to take out their aggression in such minor ways kids would stop swallowing their anger until it explodes from the tip of a gun.

I mean we can't really advocate fighting in schools but I see no reason not to build a boxing ring on the playground and advocate letting them beat the crap out of each other under supervision..

10+ Year Old Account

No, what i am saying is that when a child of any age decides to act out in the manner or fashion they see on tv or video games and mimic them in front of others, there should be consequences, you don't get to act out towards others and do as you like just because you wanna, and if you do there is a cost for that. Violent behavior directed at anybody especially at a young age should discouraged innocent or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not imaginary guns, real guns, real violence, and real cause and effect. Kids thinking it is perfectly alright to imagine this situation might not always be too far removed from doing it. Is it social conditioning yes, unless this is Sparta, why is it prudent that this sort of behavior is given a blind eye. We have obviously witnessed the effects of absent parenting, and any kind of structure, and imo look where that got us. Entire generations who act and feel especially superior, or act on every emotion as a reaction and justification for everything.

Especially this meligned and benevolent attitude that "Oh that just society can't control everything" as some sort of logical or practical position. The one thing that is most constant in life is change, and it is the one thing as human beings as we get older we fight. How you grew up is by no means a significant testimony of anything other than your experience, that may or may not be unique in itself, doesn't suggest it was any less harmful or infact isn't a tradition our we should move away from.
    And here i thought you were joking before....Seriously man let the kids imagine and the boys playfight. It's natural and perfectly healthy behavior.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    But... Only a Sith deals in absolutes...

Get them out of there!

This is also a movie, and you quoting it is pretty much the example of undue influence, it is a story, having a zero tolerence policy isn't likely to cause random light sabre duels in a metal factory either.

it is a good policy, and one that is effective, kind of a good idea, since we have kids actually going to school and doing this sort of nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    Overreaction and a braindead solution to the current problem of guns.. Assinine
    But he threw a "grenade".

Grenades are not guns...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    Maybe if schools actually allowed their students to take out their aggression in such minor ways kids would stop swallowing their anger until it explodes from the tip of a gun.

I mean we can't really advocate fighting in schools but I see no reason not to build a boxing ring on the playground and advocate letting them beat the crap out of each other under supervision..
    I for one promote the old Boys will be boys outlook....A few good fights can be healthy for a growing boy. Hell my dad was once vice principle of a school that ahd a damn shooting range in it's basement. Then when i was in highschool we got yelled at for practicing our Kata not even sparring.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is also a movie, and you quoting it is pretty much the example of undue influence, it is a story, having a zero tolerence policy isn't likely to cause random light sabre duels in a metal factory either.

it is a good policy, and one that is effective, kind of a good idea, since we have kids actually going to school and doing this sort of nonsense.

It's called a joke and shows you lack a decent imagination. Fantasy is often used to create parallels with reality and even to point things out that are too touchy to touch upon in realistic settings.