Does anyone feel the same

I don't feel the same for people in my realm and other realm people from CRZ.

They just feel like some sort of unwelcome alien strangers - no sense of community

Feel similar in Random BGs and dungeons/raids though not as much.

I really like WG/TB/Pandaria WPVP because I get to fight against/with players from my own realm.

Yeah I feel similar in regards to the close knit feeling the my realm used to have, everyone knew one another. Now I hardly see anyone from my own realm in the world, but all these off realmers zooming about, however you can still get to know them and maybe you'd find a good friend in one. You only get out what you put in, maybe try getting to know them? try just chatting in /s if you see someone , say hello!

It is the future of MMORPG's.

Being independant of artificial (small) server limitations is freeing yourself of the death knell of "dying" MMORPG's /per server count.

EVE (due to its empty space) is already played with 60.000 people on one server AT THE SAME TIME..., so there is no reason to hang on to old technology.

the mainstay of MMORPG friends play has always been the Guild. Not some artificial wacky number of 1000 avatars (which one of the 5 per player ?) on line at the same time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I try and be good to everyone, unless they're unkind to me. After the LFG thing came out, I didn't really feel server community any more. I'd get community from my guilds.

Deleted
    Nope, I play since Classic and I never felt a sense of community with my server. There were/are thousands of people on a server, do you really think you knew them? Even before you just knew a select group of people, mostly from your guild and a few very loud people (from the top guilds, usually) that made sure everybody knew them. Can't say it's any different now. It's just all the rage to say the community is so bad now and that you don't know people and QQ, but it didn't change as much as people make it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by lios View Post
    Nope, I play since Classic and I never felt a sense of community with my server. There were/are thousands of people on a server, do you really think you knew them? Even before you just knew a select group of people, mostly from your guild and a few very loud people (from the top guilds, usually) that made sure everybody knew them. Can't say it's any different now. It's just all the rage to say the community is so bad now and that you don't know people and QQ, but it didn't change as much as people make it out to be.
    I think you take the word "knowing someone" a bit too serious. I cannot believe that you didn't recognise some players that you have played before. Or just passed by in a city/the world. Or quested with/partied with/raided with in a pug.

If you are from vanilla then you must have lived the life of a monk ingame.

Ofcourse you knew a lot of people that were in your guild. And indeed the people who were very loud (usually they ended up on my ignore list).
    I never was in /trade /general - but I def. knew a lot of people. I pugged really really often. I didn't like grinding, so every waking moment I didn't go to work, was in a dungeon. And due to that I had no issues getting groups. I had the time for that (not anymore). So yes it was entirely possible that hundreds or even thousands of people knew you atleast by name.

The Patient AnotherInternetOpinion's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post
    I don't feel the same for people in my realm and other realm people from CRZ.

They just feel like some sort of unwelcome alien strangers - no sense of community

Feel similar in Random BGs and dungeons/raids though not as much.

I really like WG/TB/Pandaria WPVP because I get to fight against/with players from my own realm.
    the thing is, alli, horde, different server.....all wow players are human? Lol the ignorance of internet people. Never ceases to amaze me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    I think you take the word "knowing someone" a bit too serious. I cannot believe that you didn't recognise some players that you have played before. Or just passed by in a city/the world. Or quested with/partied with/raided with in a pug.

If you are from vanilla then you must have lived the life of a monk ingame.

Ofcourse you knew a lot of people that were in your guild. And indeed the people who were very loud (usually they ended up on my ignore list).
    I never was in /trade /general - but I def. knew a lot of people. I pugged really really often. I didn't like grinding, so every waking moment I didn't go to work, was in a dungeon. And due to that I had no issues getting groups. I had the time for that (not anymore). So yes it was entirely possible that hundreds or even thousands of people knew you atleast by name.
    Actually I think I know exactly where that guys coming from and he is RIGHT.

Aside some people in other guilds that I chatted with and the odd notorious ninja you passed by people and didnt bat an eyelid at them. I think you are massivly over estimating how many people knew you by name. They might remember your class but that would probably be it. It is pure speculation.

I ran groups in dungeons mostly with my guild sometimes pugged if we had to but usually we avoided that like the plague as there were a lot of bad players in the game and you frequently got ninjas.

Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post

Aside some people in other guilds that I chatted with and the odd notorious ninja you passed by people and didnt bat an eyelid at them. I think you are massivly over estimating how many people knew you by name. They might remember your class but that would probably be it. It is pure speculation.

I ran groups in dungeons mostly with my guild sometimes pugged if we had to but usually we avoided that like the plague as there were a lot of bad players in the game and you frequently got ninjas.
    Maybe ... I cannot provide any evidence except hearsay. And this hearsay is provided by friends I had ingame and real life. They stated that when I wasn't around (even a year after my servertransfer) they knew who I was, and where they met me. They had an opinion about me. Some people even logged an alt to talk to me on my new server for advice about paladins back then (haven't had that in a while though, so that moment is surely passed that I had "any fame")

Btw: Good morning to you sir. Nice to discuss stuff with you again.

edit: this is my experience. I am very much aware that this didn't go for ALL players - but I've known quite a few who had a similar experience
    Last edited by Vaelorian; 2013-02-08 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Maybe ... I cannot provide any evidence except hearsay. And this hearsay is provided by friends I had ingame and real life. They stated that when I wasn't around (even a year after my servertransfer) they knew who I was, and where they met me. They had an opinion about me. Some people even logged an alt to talk to me on my new server for advice about paladins back then (haven't had that in a while though, so that moment is surely passed that I had "any fame")

Btw: Good morning to you sir. Nice to discuss stuff with you again.
    *tips hat* Tally ho!

Funnily enough the guy who got me to play wow has just come back to MOP. nostalgia trip for me that was he's on tomorrow night so i've promised some dungeon runs and transmog runs

the community is there but its different than it was in Vanilla imo. I do miss some of the things back then mainly just the friendly nature I had with the other guilds. Some really fun times but the game has changed a lot since then.

I think CRZ gets a lot of hate, but think about it. If they work on this system and improve it. Rather than having multiple smaller realms that might be dead you can effectively merge them with this system and create a bigger realm off the back of it. I honestly think thats the way to go if they continue to refine it. Imagine logging in and then not having loads of realms to choose from as loads of them are merged into some sort of super realms? get 3-4 small realms together and you have one large realm.

*tips hat* Tally ho!

Funnily enough the guy who got me to play wow has just come back to MOP. nostalgia trip for me that was he's on tomorrow night so i've promised some dungeon runs and transmog runs

the community is there but its different than it was in Vanilla imo. I do miss some of the things back then mainly just the friendly nature I had with the other guilds. Some really fun times but the game has changed a lot since then.

I think CRZ gets a lot of hate, but think about it. If they work on this system and improve it. Rather than having multiple smaller realms that might be dead you can effectively merge them with this system and create a bigger realm off the back of it. I honestly think thats the way to go if they continue to refine it. Imagine logging in and then not having loads of realms to choose from as loads of them are merged into some sort of super realms? get 3-4 small realms together and you have one large realm.
    Wholeheartily agree. If they cannot really merge servers, this CRZ suggestion you did would be the way to go.

I haven't felt a sense of community in wow since Vanilla.

Cross realm battlegrounds destroyed any sense of community that was had in pvp.
    Flight/portals/teleporting destroyed the worldwide community.
    And though I think LFD/Lfr are the best things ever they do pretty much destroy any semblance of community that remains.

10+ Year Old Account

It wasn't so much the fact the you knew the people ..
    You knew the guilds by name (raid guilds)

In Vanilla you knew all the 40-man guilds by name and 1/3 officers and even more in TBC we had like 15 raiding guilds (back when 25m was the only way to go) and i can honestly say i knew ALLOT of players back then. Like 5 players per guild by name since you grouped with them occasionaly and talked to them exchanging tactics are all that. It was a 'race' at our own realms pace (it was no top realm) but there really was a good sense of community between the raiding guilds.

In vanilla you had 20 well known guilds and ofc the unknown goofy guilds. But overall the guild were bigger then they are now.

It was different when i played during CATA since there is no progression ladder anymore people don't 'look up' to guilds anymore and thus don't reconise guild tags anymore. Add the 10m guilds as another reason and you get 100's of unknown smaller guilds per realm. It's simply too many to remember.
    There are ofc. still the elite well known guilds but it's no quite the same.

The game got allot less depended on larger guilds causing the spawn of many smaller guilds
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

15+ Year Old Account
    That´s because CRZ people affect your chance on gathering products, rares and questmobs. If you're on a PvP server you'll have more chance to get ganked too. While in dungeons/raids the chance to get something is as big when you're with people from other realms as when you're with people from your own realm.

I don't like CRZ either, for the aforementioned reasons.

CRZ is one of the many factors that caused me to cancel my subscription last November. I was on a low pop realm and between fighting bots, the opposite faction, and now the introduction of CRZ, my realms AH was bare.

I think the option to play with friends from other realms was a brilliant idea. Grouping realms together without the benefits of a server merger was a horrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrno View Post
    It wasn't so much the fact the you knew the people ..
    You knew the guilds by name (raid guilds)

In Vanilla you knew all the 40-man guilds by name and 1/3 officers and even more in TBC we had like 15 raiding guilds (back when 25m was the only way to go) and i can honestly say i knew ALLOT of players back then. Like 5 players per guild by name since you grouped with them occasionaly and talked to them exchanging tactics are all that. It was a 'race' at our own realms pace (it was no top realm) but there really was a good sense of community between the raiding guilds.

In vanilla you had 20 well known guilds and ofc the unknown goofy guilds. But overall the guild were bigger then they are now.

It was different when i played during CATA since there is no progression ladder anymore people don't 'look up' to guilds anymore and thus don't reconise guild tags anymore. Add the 10m guilds as another reason and you get 100's of unknown smaller guilds per realm. It's simply too many to remember.
    There are ofc. still the elite well known guilds but it's no quite the same.

The game got allot less depended on larger guilds causing the spawn of many smaller guilds
    I do agree here, Thing is if you were outside the top guilds in Vanilla you rarely got passed Molten core, If you managed to get to rag that is. A lot of smaller guilds just could not do it. I preferred 10man raiding as a whole to 25man - 40man etc. You only have 9 other people in your raid and most of the time they are people you can rely on.

I was among the top 4 guilds on my server right up until ICC came out as I quit the game during totc after heroic anub made my eyes bleed (the other bosses on heroic were easy and he was a brick wall out of no where the raid was horrible and I had enough by that point) We had other guilds who were lower down on progression and quite often we would steal their members if we needed someone to be replaced etc. The way the progression model was then it was the only way to get new recruits in most of the time. Wrath changed this quite a bit and allowed us to get recruits from other sources.

Still, the games changed massively since then. I for one loved LFD/LFR I can see why some people see it as a killer for the community. But I often see people not chatting in these places. Some of the burden is on the players to try and make a community, its still there but its a lot more narrow now than it was then.

If they removed boundaries more and more, allowed us to add people without RealID, trade with them etc, invite to guilds.. I think the community would become better.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

I tend to agree with the OP. When I meet people from different server in CRZ I feel as they just passing by. Even in LFR I sometimes recognize cross-realm chars, but not in CRZ.