Quote Originally Posted by Dembai View Post
    I think it had to do with the fact that they entered it in a paid tournement - it was "fanbased" until there was possible exchange of money.

I'm really sad about it though. they deserved better than that!
    If Hasbro was smart they would just buy the game and let it continue.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it had to do with the fact that they entered it in a paid tournement - it was "fanbased" until there was possible exchange of money.

If you're talking about the EVO thing, I thought that it was just to get noticed and showcased at whatever EVO is.

10+ Year Old Account

I am rather upset now

Sig: Elyssia | DJoron is the Best

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Fighting is Magic got a Cease and Desist, which bothers me because, legally, it's no different than any art, animation, or direct music we see.
    -ahem-

Or fanfiction.

I refer to my post above:
    Quote Originally Posted by Melange View Post
    The kind of profile that MLP gained by being in the EVO donation drive--and the potential pot--may have been a mistake. There was clear money to be gained (by the players) by participating in the tournament. It can't be discounted merely because MLP didn't win the drive; it was a sign to Hasbro that money may actually be made by the game, even if that money didn't go to the devs. Which makes them, as I understand it, legally obligated to C&D the game.

I'm no lawyer though.
    Hasbro let Mane6 have their way with Fighting is Magic up until the EVO donation drive. I do not think it's coincidence that the C&D cannon came out now.

Or to be more concise:

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    If you're talking about the EVO thing, I thought that it was just to get noticed and showcased at whatever EVO is.
    Winning the drive would also have given them an EVO-sponsored exhibition tournament with monetary prizes, if what I know is correct.
    Last edited by Bluesparkks; 2013-02-09 at 08:27 AM.

Deleted
    FIM got a Cease and desist and two of the admins left.

The documentary was supposed to release a special edition, but it didn't do well (for obvious fucking reasons, it was a niche show for a niche group - most of whom were insulted by it) - so the director pitched a fit and blamed the bronies for pirating...when the bronies were the ones who fucking funded it from the start!

I have to say, I'm glad I didn't pay for it - I'm poor to start, but it was also insulting, lame and poorly edited.
    I thought people loved that documentary

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -nevan View Post
    I thought people loved that documentary
    I wasn't impressed by it. FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by -nevan View Post
    it has been actually pretty warm throughout january over here, now it's cold again and I don like it
    It will probably get cold here again as well.

That is how it is here. One day it is -20C and blizzarding

the next it is 5C and the snow is almost melted away.

10+ Year Old Account
    This still makes me the saddest, although I do not agree with people who are pointing fingers at Hasbro. The kind of profile that MLP gained by being in the EVO donation drive--and the potential pot--may have been a mistake. There was clear money to be gained (by the players) by participating in the tournament. It can't be discounted merely because MLP didn't win the drive; it was a sign to Hasbro that money may actually be made by the game, even if that money didn't go to the devs. Which makes them, as I understand it, legally obligated to C&D the game.

I'm no lawyer though.
    Basically. It got too big and money started getting involved. There may have been a thing they were going to do with Gamestop as well, but I haven't seen any confirmation of it. The C&D was inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyera View Post
    Why did Hasbro wait this long to shut down that game?

And that documentary can go suck it. You can't make something for a subculture and expect it to be Lord of the Rings
    The same reason they don't C&D every Ebay sale of a plush someone made of one of the characters or commissions on DA, or whatever. Usually these instances are not big enough or potentially big enough to draw their notice.(Disney and other huge media companies handle these things the same way)

Once you get big enough and more and more substantial money gets involved, the lawyers get flagged because now there's a real monetary incentive to do so.

I STILL don't know what happened with the documentary and frankly I don't really care. The only thing about it that interested me was the animation they put in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Subtly insulting, but I don't think that was done so intentionally. But yeah, very lame and poorly edited. I would still rather show people Dragonshy than the documentary if I wanted to explain the whole brony thing to them.

And...-shudder-...Cadance. The alicorn that semi-stomped on fanon of Tia/Luna being effectively gods, or at the very least devalued them.
    I'm sorry, with as varied a community as we have, the fact that we got only ONE person in the entire show that didn't come across as a social reject - and the military bronies largely went uninterviewed, and we were harshly generalized as "moderates, hipsters and artists", and female bronies were given a massive sexualization and plotshot in the animation...no, there's not much that wasn't insulting.

The only part of it I liked was the interview with Faust where she explained how her bedroom was set up when she played with her ponies. Took me back.

But the rest of it was horrible.

Deleted
    I haven't seen it since it doesn't interest me
    also what's fwiw

Quote Originally Posted by Solazz View Post
    It will probably get cold here again as well.

That is how it is here. One day it is -20C and blizzarding

the next it is 5C and the snow is almost melted away.
    It has sort of been that way over here on my end.

Yeah I had to look up FWIW

I think I only saw that once before
    from you

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    Basically. It got too big and money started getting involved. There may have been a thing they were going to do with Gamestop as well, but I haven't seen any confirmation of it. The C&D was inevitable.

The same reason they don't C&D every Ebay sale of a plush someone made of one of the characters or commissions on DA, or whatever. Usually these instances are not big enough or potentially big enough to draw their notice.(Disney and other huge media companies handle these things the same way)

Once you get big enough and more and more substantial money gets involved, the lawyers get flagged because now there's a real monetary incentive to do so.

I STILL don't know what happened with the documentary and frankly I don't really care. The only thing about it that interested me was the animation they put in it.
    Hai FG :3

7_7
    [Steam]
    3DS Friend Code: 2509-2629-0987 | NNID: Sanics
    Formerly known as: Sonic Raindoom, Sir W Reginald Armchair, Sir William R Armchair

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyera View Post
    Hai FG :3
    Hey there Frey.

I think the thing I will miss the most about Fighting is Magic is the stage music.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Raindoom View Post
    7_7
    Yozzers Sonic. How are you today?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Raindoom View Post
    7_7
    That face! I remember it!
    Hey there Frey.

I think the thing I will miss the most about Fighting is Magic is the stage music.
    Seriously, screw lawyers. Can't people breathe without being sued these days

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry, with as varied a community as we have, the fact that we got only ONE person in the entire show that didn't come across as a social reject - and the military bronies largely went uninterviewed, and we were harshly generalized as "moderates, hipsters and artists", and female bronies were given a massive sexualization and plotshot in the animation...no, there's not much that wasn't insulting.

The only part of it I liked was the interview with Faust where she explained how her bedroom was set up when she played with her ponies. Took me back.

I'm not saying it wasn't insulting in a lot of ways, because it most certainly was. I'm just saying, I don't think it was intended to be insulting.

I've been wrong before, though.

The only part of it I liked was the interview with Faust
    Agreed.

Hey there Frey.

I think the thing I will miss the most about Fighting is Magic is this was the first real pony game that was actually going to get done, rather than all of those other enormous projects people tried to do during season one that fell apart during season 2.

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah, I didn't get that. What did they mean by "hipsters"?
    Hey there Frey.

I didn't care that much about the game itself, because I haven't been big on fighting games in a long time. I just worry if the money thing wasn't the issue, and they go after other games. I still want to play Pony Chronicles.