Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Yes, but that's only two casts over a 30 second period. I would hardly call that managing.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrun View Post
    Yes, but that's only two casts over a 30 second period. I would hardly call that managing.
    Four Casts
    Envy <Exodus>

Shaman
    Paladin
    Priest
    Monk

Deleted
    You also have to time your HST with your fire and earth elemental if you're using Primal Elementalist.

Regardless, it's really besides the point wouldn't you agree? Healing stream totem (and totems in general, at least as resto) have little bearing on our availability of global cooldowns. I suppose I could be more concise about the topic I intended; should we be able to use Healing Wave as filler without repercussions? I personally, as a healer in a 10 man group, find that using Healing Wave as filler is detrimental more often than not because of its consumption of Tidal Waves. You presented very valid points in why its interaction with Healing Wave can be considered beneficial. Calling totems and unleash fillers is a very far stretch, leaving those of us in 10 man groups (on many fights) the choice between Healing Wave or Lightning Bolt. I find the majority of the time I end up choosing Lightning Bolt even when a tank is sub 100% simply because I want to ensure I have a charge of Tidal Waves ready for GHW when the tank does take that big hit. A choice for an alternative filler to Lightning Bolt without negative consequence on my ability to heal would be nice. I guess no one else finds this has negative consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Envvyy View Post
    Four Casts
    I really don't understand how it is four casts, could you explain? How I do it is cast healing stream totem at time 0 seconds, at 14 seconds, I use totemic recall. At time 30 seconds, HST is off cooldown. If you repeat the cycle an infinite amount of times, it averages to 2 gcds per 30 seconds. Is there something I'm missing?

Deleted
    when we don't have Tidal Waves we are at a severe deficit when it comes to keeping a tank up, being able to top off a target with a Healing Wave without gimping my next GHW would be nice.
    So... surge? A HS non-crit is only around 10k less than a GHW non-crit. I really don't see what the problem is.

The backlash to this thread really is astounding, I guess the face-roll play style for resto in 25 mans really has people clueless about the dynamics of the abilities resto shaman have to work with in every other avenue of the game.
    Please...

Personally, I like the OP's idea of a glyph to make tidal waves optional on healing wave. It would give a little more control over burst healing and allow continued casting of healing wave in between. It might not even be optimal for most fights, but the *option* for a slightly different play style sounds okay to me.

Healing surge is pretty strong for burst, but it drains mana like crazy.

I do realize the base cast time is the same as the basic heal for other healing classes, and I never suggested or implied that I thought it shouldn't be that way. Really, if you can read, as you would have seen, I want it to be the same. Bringing other class mechanics into this discussion is quite irrelevant because each class has unique mechanics/procs that modify their healing. The logic you used referencing Infusion of Light is completely befuddled, Infusion of Light is a chance proc and in no way is a parallel mechanic to Tidal Waves - to make it clear, Tidal Waves procs from every cast of Riptide - it's a fundamental part of a "rotation" (for lack of better words) when trying to tank heal on certain fights. Infusion of Light occurs on a crit(random) of Holy Shock and acts as a bonus to the many single target healing tools paladins have; both effects reduce the cast times of heals - that is the only thing at all comparable between the two. Thinking of it as a benefit is exactly the point I'm trying to make, it's not a benefit, it's a detriment. As much as I hate to bring other classes into this, other healers have many numerous more tools in their kit besides Divine Light and Greater Heal to keep a target up, the only thing we have is Greater Healing Wave, and that's fine, because Tidal Waves is wonderful and makes working with our limited set of single target healing spells a suitable alternative to the tool-set other healers have, but when we don't have Tidal Waves we are at a severe deficit when it comes to keeping a tank up, being able to top off a target with a Healing Wave without gimping my next GHW would be nice. The backlash to this thread really is astounding, I guess the face-roll play style for resto in 25 mans really has people clueless about the dynamics of the abilities resto shaman have to work with in every other avenue of the game.
    GHW is nearly uselss in tank healing from every raid i've been in this expac, and yes i'm 10man, yes i've done heroics. your reliance on GHW is what is leading you to these backwards assumptions that some how it's a detriment to use a buff, that you do't have to use right away mind you.

no, healers should NOT be GCD locked at all. if you GCD lock yourself you have no way of intercepting spike damage. which results in wasting mana on ghw don't be afraid not to just sit there for a few seconds when spike damage is coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
    GHW is nearly uselss in tank healing from every raid i've been in this expac, and yes i'm 10man, yes i've done heroics. your reliance on GHW is what is leading you to these backwards assumptions that some how it's a detriment to use a buff, that you do't have to use right away mind you.
    I don't agree with GHW being useless. Compared to HS, it does 15k more healing on a tank with ES, it costs 6k less mana critical strikes from GHW restores 3,5k more mana. Also, the cast time is pretty much the same with tidal waves.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasmastarn View Post
    I don't agree with GHW being useless. Compared to HS, it does 15k more healing on a tank with ES, it costs 6k less mana critical strikes from GHW restores 3,5k more mana. Also, the cast time is pretty much the same with tidal waves.
    I don't think GHW is useless either, however you're forgetting what Tidal Waves does to HS. The higher chance to crit (30%, or 35% with 2P) means it can heal more than GHW (since it will crit more often) and it has a much higher chance in returning mana (again, crit chance) than GHW does.

I wouldn't mind them adding such a glyph, but I'd never use it...

as stated, you have 3 casts between 2 riptide. Two are buffed, one should be a "filler", except you have : unleash (which should ideally be used in a "unleash - HS/greater/HR - riptide" combo), dropping and re-calling HST, dropping "situational" totems (SLT/HTT/MTT/stormlash/elementals), you could also throw a LB if you glyphed it and are in a "not a lot of heal needed right now"... I prefer by far having my healing wave be buffed by tidal wave nearly each cast and "wasting" an extremely small amount of casts out of tidal wave than the reverse.

I can definitely relate to the OP. There have been quite a few times, I've hesitated to "fill in" with Healing Wave knowing it would consume Tidal Waves. Just as the OP, I also heal 10 mans; sometimes my primary assignment will be a tank. I think it's a great suggestion for an optional/situational glyph, just as the riptide glyph is. It's not something I'd use all the time, but for certain fights, it'd come in handy.

I think it's funny all the responses that are so negative about a suggestion. People are quick to tell other people they're doing things wrong. The OP was merely making a suggestion for an optional glyph that would open up a slightly different playstyle.

Deleted
    Are you trying to top meters or something? Why not just wait for a little bit more damage and either do HW + GHW or even 2 GHWs if you like them so much? Or is your tank undergeared, that he needs spam healing?