Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekkrah View Post
    I really wish GW2 would get more attention. It's IMO one of the best-designed MMOs around. Unfortunately it needs a little more to set it apart.. I miss sandboxes.
    it's sold 3 million copies and as such is the fastest selling mmo ever, I really don't know how it's not getting attention.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    it's sold 3 million copies and as such is the fastest selling mmo ever, I really don't know how it's not getting attention.
    Yeah, i don't think it's lacking in attention.

People will always look at the new thing that happens to pop up, so of course GW2 is not going to get as much attention now as it did at release. But that is to be expected.

10+ Year Old Account
    ColinJohanson stated last week:

"We created more capacity a little while ago guesting went up live to allow more chances for people to move around their home worlds if they wished to do so. In game population wise, you'll be excited to know login numbers and peak concurrency numbers have been slowly going up or staying consistent depending on the day going on 6 weeks in a row now. We're very excited to see that =)"
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    What's quite interesting about GW2 is I remember everyone saying "Oh because it's a one off purchase people will drop it and pick it back up every so often and they'll never really quit" but i've not played it for months.. nor have any of my friends who bought it. So I guess that theory wasn't exactly correct. It's a shame because it's a brilliant looking game but for some reason it never pulled us in.
    The 2 main reasons for this is the combat is too simple and hence boring, and there is really not too much to aspire to. I think if they improve the combat, make it a bit more complex and fun, then things would be much improved. In that case you could set your own goals in achievements or on comsmetic items and then at least it would be interesting. I just find GW2 very boring which is why I am not inspired to return. Been months now.

They need to make building your character more complex and the combat deeper and more interesting. You could be successful in combat with 2 buttons as it is now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gainesvilleg View Post
    The 2 main reasons for this is the combat is too simple and hence boring, and there is really not too much to aspire to. I think if they improve the combat, make it a bit more complex and fun, then things would be much improved. In that case you could set your own goals in achievements or on comsmetic items and then at least it would be interesting. I just find GW2 very boring which is why I am not inspired to return. Been months now.

They need to make building your character more complex and the combat deeper and more interesting. You could be successful in combat with 2 buttons as it is now.
    I assure you I would be one very dead elementalist if I tried playing with only 2 buttons, lol.
    Valar morghulis

only profession that I can think of that would survive on just 2 buttons would be the ranger.

Even if there was nothing to do at endgame (which i am not saying there is not) and pvp was none-existant (which it is not) the game would still be worth buying in my opinion just for the leveling. I really liked the personal story, and the questing and so on, and it took me around 90-100 hours to level from 1-80. How many games that you buy these days offer 100 hours of content for a single purchase? And heck, there are a lot of different classes so it is worth to level more than one char

Just buy the game and see for yourself. It will be worth the money even if you despise half of the game. Great value for money.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    only profession that I can think of that would survive on just 2 buttons would be the ranger.
    Can do it on Warrior (Rife, Sword/A and S/S, GS, S/W), Engineer (P/S, P/P, Rifle and FT), Mesmer (S/S, S/P, GS) and Guardian (Staff, Hammer).

For most PVE content, one doesn't really need a lot of anything besides movement keys and 1-2 skills. Auto-attack, as in maintaining AAs, is often the key damage supplier in the game.

The skills are like a MOBA in that regard. QWER, and if we were in DOTA it'd often just be QW or ER while keeping AAs on the target via positioning.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-02-11 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Can do it on Warrior (Rife, Sword/A and S/S, GS, S/W), Engineer (P/S, P/P, Rifle and FT), Mesmer (S/S, S/P, GS) and Guardian (Staff, Hammer).

For most PVE content, one doesn't really need a lot of anything besides movement keys and 1-2 skills.
    can't really survive on my warrior with just two buttons but my setup is a bit different (sword/sword and longbow). Engineer, haven't played past level 14. Guardian, same, haven't really leveled although I do agree they are rather easy as well.

my mesmer uses a lot more skills than just 2

Deleted
    Please share this magic, I'm using pretty much all at my disposal and it's often not enough

Quote Originally Posted by Manekk View Post
    Please share this magic, I'm using pretty much all at my disposal and it's often not enough
    for the ranger?

just depends on your setup but if you use shortbow and swap your pets often you can pretty much autoattack most normal stuff to death

10+ Year Old Account
    Guild Wars as a franchise can be somewhat polarizing. Either one really digs the way Anet's games operate or sorta don't.

I rarely saw GW1 players "come back" if they were lukewarm on the game systems. Because there is nothing to pull them back. As a series Guild Wars banks on players finding the basic experience of playing the game fun in of itself, and for it's own sake.

Has to "click" with you how Anet's game play out at the most basic level.
    Pretty much this.
    Played it intensely for 1.5Months, clubbed my character to 80 and crafted full exotic.
    After that I left and never really bothered with it again.

What threw me off?
    - RL friends that were all hyped up got hugely disappointed and left -> Not much to do.
    - Simple spam everything that is on CD combat "system", gets really boring after 80 levels.
    - No gear grind, means no real incentive to do anything for extended periods of time, like farming an instance over and over.

Bottom line: You can't play GW2 like you played WoW. You will burn out very quickly. Take your time. There is nothing really interesting @ lv 80. Enjoy the beautiful game world and explore, because that really is GW2s strong point.

Elementalist could (Dunno about balancing patches) do that. Just don't gear glass cannon.

the game was great until I realized that the "carrot on a stick" concept is what drives me forward.

The fact this game isnt that is its detractor for me. Its like a 3Dshooter variation of MMO. You gain all your abilities in the first few levels, gear is not that important and you can do a "max level" version of your self in a "pvp game" with a ton of unearned gear. That destroyed what otherwise would have been a long term investment for me.

For others its perfect as they can do the casual thing and be competitive. I prefer to be casual, and always yearn for that far off skill at max level, or that rare uber piece of gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    0. How many games that you buy these days offer 100 hours of content for a single purchase?
    a vast number of games offer more for free, many games offer well over 100 hours for a lower price. it's really not an achievement, and hasn't been since the 90s.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-02-11 at 02:31 AM.

There's still a train? Thought it left the station months ago, crashed, and burned.....

I myself was aboard that train, luckily me and all my friends made it out alive. Don't waste your time.....lol

Just my personal opinion

Quote Originally Posted by dreaderus View Post
    the game was great until I realized that the "carrot on a stick" concept is what drives me forward.

The fact this game isnt that is its detractor for me. Its like a 3Dshooter variation of MMO. You gain all your abilities in the first few levels, gear is not that important and you can do a "max level" version of your self in a "pvp game" with a ton of unearned gear. That destroyed what otherwise would have been a long term investment for me.
    I have to agree with dreaderus. I struggled to find motivation to keep logging in and playing. It's a fun game to play every few months when you have that urge but otherwise it just didn't grab me like other mmo's have.

I'd be interested to hear if Kioshi has started playing and what his initial thoughts are.

can't really survive on my warrior with just two buttons but my setup is a bit different (sword/sword and longbow). Engineer, haven't played past level 14. Guardian, same, haven't really leveled although I do agree they are rather easy as well.

my mesmer uses a lot more skills than just 2
    Sword/Sword Warrior is my main kit on Warrior. It's one of the MOST AA dependent classes/kits. I rarely use anything except 2 and 4 on S/S. All signets. Never pop 'em because the passive bonus is too good to waste.

P/S Engy just uses 2, 3. 4 & 5 are a waste of GCD. Usually run all kits because turrets are sorta broken. So swapping to FT is just 2, 5. Elixir gun is the only one that causes me to use an extra button; 2, 3 and 4. The latter two I only get to press like once every 17 seconds...

Not saying combat is "boring" or not engaging. It's not very deep either. Everything is simple, easy to grasp. Regardless of class there are the same patterns and behavior to many weapons; gap closer, a disengage, a volley, etc, etc.

I once heard Skyrim described as, "the with of an ocean, depth of a puddle". While I wouldn't personally go that far w/r/t GW2's combat; it is not nearly the same level intricacy, skill and class interplay of Guild Wars 1. Or other MMOs such as TSW, FF11 or Rift classic.

Want to stress that I am not faulting GW2 for taking a more action-y route. Though I am saying combat is a shade less complex than stuff like Devil May Cry. Which GW2 is far closer in spirit to from a combat POV than Everquest derived MMOs.

Unlike Tera [been playing a lot lately] Guild Wars 2 is a true action/twitch based MMO.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-02-11 at 02:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephinit View Post
    There's still a train? Thought it left the station months ago, crashed, and burned.....

I myself was aboard that train, luckily me and all my friends made it out alive. Don't waste your time.....lol

Just my personal opinion

It's alive and well and growing every day

I imagine people that like anal spam and poop quests and butthurt jokes don't get it (and I'm glad).
    Otoh, those that appreciate art and beauty and the well crafted reference are delighted.
    Valar morghulis

I'm quite saddened that people are missing "skinner boxes". It basically means that no matter how good (or bad) a game is the only that you want is a game that conditions you into playing more.

It's sort of like saying "yea I like cannabis but it doesn't have that addictive effect of coke so I'm just gonna pass on it"7

Also mentioning "unearned gear" and "yearning for that next better item" is basically contradictory. The top 50guilds in WoW aren't good because of the gear they have, they are good because they can clear content for which others need said gear.
    So if you're longing/aiming for that next better armor you're actually aiming for that little bit less skill.

Now to people saying "yea combat is ez just 1-2 and don't be full glass". Have you ever considered that you're gimping yourself and your group by not being full glass. And that you are making the game less "skillbased" yourself. It's basically like stacking stamina on a mage in WoW.

The last bit that annoys me is people saying "nobody theorycrafts". This is entirely false, the issue is it's not as accessible as in wow.
    Nothing is stopping you from opening excel doing the math and posting it here or on guru or wherever you like. Simple fact is you're not as "hardcore" as you think you are, you want/need others to do the work for you.

Unlike Tera [been playing a lot lately] Guild Wars 2 is a true action/twitch based MMO.
    I find this a bit ironic. I play Tera now and then as well and I've found GW2 to be much more action oriented. I do like the warrior from Tera though (probably because it is the most actiony of the classes there I feel).

---------- Post added 2013-02-10 at 07:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    I'm quite saddened that people are missing "skinner boxes". It basically means that no matter how good (or bad) a game is the only that you want is a game that conditions you into playing more.
    I'll go further with this and say that mmorpgs are really mediocre games. And without the carrots and the social element of the game, they are pretty terrible.