Page 24 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    That... was typically a very socially and intellectually degrading post - these kind of things need to be done so much better, or nothing will improve.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    You're moving the goalposts. The thread is about why women are afraid of being raped. The obvious answer is because about one in six of them will be raped, so be on their toes is a pretty good idea. When they've got delightful folks like you that will tell them they're to blame, all the more reason to be cautious.
    I love how I am changing the goalposts, point out exactly how I am moving the goalposts because social justice bloggers have a false sense of rape and are constantly moving the goalposts for rape anyway.

Fun fact, Rape can be whenever a woman regrets sex as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Delanath View Post
    Then attempt to shed light where attention is due. Your qualms do not mean that equality hasn't made steady progress and that progress in this endeavor isn't ultimately a good thing.
    Probably why I said in most respects I agree, and apparently, you agree with me too - I'm not sure you followed.

As for disparities in gender equality:
    Child care
    Finance
    Promotion
    Sociality, including but not limited to; flirting, joking, sexual interaction, debate, perception of intention
    Marriage
    Empowerment
    Educational bias
    Last edited by Ryme; 2013-02-11 at 02:28 PM.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    Sorry, you don't like a source, you find the counter source/information. You don't discredit the information on a hunch or because you don't like it. The point of debating a topic is to disprove your opponent with facts, not with speculation and opinion.

I didn't see anyone bother to look up statistics because they were too busy liking the stench of their own smug self satisfaction, so I did it for them. You're welcome.
    I'm the sorry one here, if the stats have no source I dont need to find a counter source to dismiss it. It can just straight up dismiss it.

The point of a debate is indeed disproving. There is no proof and thus nothing to disprove here. Someone made a graph where he/she assumed every men accused of rape was a rapist and made a nice presentation out of it. Great job, but irrelevant.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    The chart makes ridiculous assumptions.

It assumes 2% of rape accusations are false and it assumes only 10% of rapes are reported.

It also assumes every rape has a unique perpetrator.

It makes so many assumptions that the info it's attempting to communicate is bunk.
    Info that comes from .gov sites? The very essence that the graph is trying to convey is that false accusations are an incredibly small percentage. You seem to be thinking it's trying to imply something entirely different than it is.

Go look up their sources. Seems pretty legit to me. Lots of .gov statistic sites as well as scientific studies conducted on rapes, reported rapes, convicted rapists and false accusations.

Again Laize, you have this terrible habit of calling something false or bad data if you don't like it and on no other merit to yourself than that.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    I love how I am changing the goalposts, point out exactly how I am moving the goalposts because social justice bloggers have a false sense of rape and are constantly moving the goalposts for rape anyway.
    I commented about rape, you whined about sexual harassment.

Stop lying, it's not polite.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Your claim, so please bring it forward. And related directly to what Spectral linked, if you want it to be in any way relevant.

Until then, it sounds like someone has been listening to too many late night comedians who are paid to bash groups of people without resorting to solidified facts.
    Wait, so late night comedians are paid to bash feminist who say stupid shit like insulting people is accountable to rape.

Go look at a Feminists tumblr to see all accounts of it.

Fuck, people are thinking flirting is sexual harassment nowadays. People have become so thin skinned it's hilarious.

And women are mostly to blame for this.
    God forbid women actually stand up for themselves and tell guys that they're not interested. Should they just take it? Let it slide off them?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangresnake View Post
    I'm the sorry one here, if the stats have no source I dont need to find a counter source to dismiss it. It can just straight up dismiss it.

The point of a debate is indeed disproving. There is no proof and thus nothing to disprove here. Someone made a graph where he/she assumed every men accused of rape was a rapist and made a nice presentation out of it. Great job, but irrelevant.
    *Sigh*

You can't even take a couple of minutes to go glaze over the sources?

1,000 Rapists (technically 1,000 rapes as pointed out by Slate, a distinction we missed in an effort to bring some reality to the numbers.)

Of those 1,000 rapes, we applied a 10% reporting rate (100)

Source: http://www.hmic.gov.uk/media/without...t-20061231.pdf
    Page 8: “Estimates from research suggest that between 75 and 95 per cent of rape crimes are never reported to the police.”
    Source:http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/index.cfm?ty=dcdetail&iid=245 (2011 Criminal Victimization Survey): Reported to the police (US): 27% in 2011, 49% in 2010
    Of those 100 reported rapes, we show 30 faced trial (this includes those that were jailed). This is 30%. Faced trial, for the purpose of this graphic, uses composite data reflecting the terms prosecution, arrested, and faced trial.

RAINN (http://www.rainn.org/get-information...eporting-rates) lists for 46 rapes, 9 get prosecuted. This is 19.5%.
    Tjaden, P., & Thoennes, N. (2006). Extent, nature and consequences of rape victimization: Findings from the National Violence Against Women Survey. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Justice. – 37% of reported rapes are prosecuted
    Patterson, D., & Campbell, R. (2010). Why rape survivors participate in the criminal justice system. Journal of Community Psychology, 38(2), 191-205. – 14-18% of reported rapes lead to prosecution
    http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...010/clearances - 40% clearance rate in 2010 (arrested or cleared by exceptional means)
    Of the 100 rapes brought to trial, 10 are jailed. This is 10%. Or, of the 30 rapes prosecuted, 10 are jailed. This is 33.3%.

When considered 10% of the 100 reported rapes: http://www.ncpa.org/pub/st229?pg=11Table A-4 in 1997, Probability of prison for rape is 9%.
    When considered 10% of the 100 reported rapes: http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/fdluc06.pdf
    page 11 in 2006: 62% of felony rape defendants are convicted, 50% of a felony
    page 12 in 2006: most severe sentence of convicted offenders
    For rape: 80% incarcerated. Combining these, 0.62 * 0.8 = 0.496 (49.6%)
    When considered as a portion of prosecuted rapes that are jailed: RAINN (http://www.rainn.org/get-information...eporting-rates) lists for 9 prosecuted rapes, 3 are jailed. This is 33.3%.
    Of the 100 rapes reported, 2 are false accusations. The 2% false accusation rate was applied only to the number of reported rapes.

Source: http://www.ndaa.org/pdf/the_voice_vol_3_no_1_2009.pdf page 2: “when more methodologically rigorous research has been conducted, estimates for the percentage of false reports begin to converge around 2-8%.”
    There's the source information. Not liking statistics doesn't mean you can dismiss them, and being too lazy to look them up does not mean they do not exist.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Arganis View Post
    All men are rapists like all women are sluts.
    This captures the essence of what I was gonna write.

Very VERY few men look at rape in the same way that women do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Violence against males is much higher than violence against females.
    So by your logic, males need to be even more 'careful' than females if they don't want to end up in a plastic bag.

Also: Most cases of rape involve a perp you know and trust.
    "violence" can be a lot of things. but 90% of rape victims are female.
    http://www.rainn.org/get-information...ssault-victims

and yes i have had to be afraid of someone i know and trusted in that way. that doesnt mean im going to give someone i dont know at all my full trust.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Really, what is this "fucked world views" about men that I supposedly have, as an avowed feminist?
    I think he's hinting more at radical feminism, which is just an approach that makes other feminists look bad.

OT: SOME women have an extreme sense of paranoia when it comes to rape. But, can you blame them? To go through such an experience would probably be worse than hell, and it is a pity that some men will devolve to a violent, sex-crazed monster. The world we live in, yay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, so late night comedians are paid to bash feminist who say stupid shit like insulting people is accountable to rape.
    1: You never actually responded to my post. If you fail to do so again, I will not be continuing this line of discussion.
    2: Comedians are paid to bash anyone who brings in more of an audience, using half truths that employ a mountain of logical fallacies, one specifically to focus on minute parts of a group in order to extrapolate it to the entirety. You are currently displaying the exact same rationale employed there.

Deleted
    Stop lying, it's not polite.
    Two words.

Rape Culture.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    "violence" can be a lot of things. but 90% of rape victims are female.
    http://www.rainn.org/get-information...ssault-victims

and yes i have had to be afraid of someone i know and trusted in that way. that doesnt mean im going to give someone i do t knkw at all my full trust.
    Not to mention unreported rapes

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    Info that comes from .gov sites? The very essence that the graph is trying to convey is that false accusations are an incredibly small percentage. You seem to be thinking it's trying to imply something entirely different than it is.

Go look up their sources. Seems pretty legit to me. Lots of .gov statistic sites as well as scientific studies conducted on rapes, reported rapes, convicted rapists and false accusations.

Again Laize, you have this terrible habit of calling something false or bad data if you don't like it and on no other merit to yourself than that.
    You dont seem to understand, that's the point, admitted false accusation is only 2%, but actual false accusation is a lot bigger.
    In a lot of these case people are innocented because lack of proof, so we dont know if they are rapist, but somehow the graph assume that everyone accused is a rapist, and somehow got away because of magic.

Tldr : False accusation of rape is a lot lot lot lot bigger than 2%, this graph is nothing but ideological fallacy

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    2: Comedians are paid to bash anyone who brings in more of an audience, using half truths that employ a mountain of logical fallacies, one specifically to focus on minute parts of a group in order to extrapolate it to the entirety. You are currently displaying the exact same rationale employed there.

Pretty sure they're paid by venue to come and do their set routines. But then again, how many comedians have you seen live?

Deleted
    Go look at a Feminists tumblr to see all accounts of it.

Fuck, people are thinking flirting is sexual harassment nowadays. People have become so thin skinned it's hilarious.

And women are mostly to blame for this.
    If the fliting continues after being repeatedly told to stop and that its unappreciated, then yes it is sexual harassment.

Two words.

Rape Culture.
    This is unrelated to the lie you wrote:

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangresnake View Post
    You dont seem to understand, that's the point, admitted false accusation is only 2%, but actual false accusation is a lot bigger.
    In a lot of these case people are innocented because lack of proof, so we dont know if they are rapist, but somehow the graph assume that everyone accused is a rapist, and somehow got away because of magic.

Tldr : False accusation of rape is a lot lot lot lot bigger than 2%, this graph is nothing but ideological fallacy
    Do you have proof of it being higher than 2%?