Something I don't get...

1st off, my main is a hunter, he is the one I play more than any other. The other day I was noticing something. If my pet does not have growl on he will not get aggro, no matter what I am doing. If I shot a mob once that mob is glued to me no matter what my pet is doing, claw/autoattacks, the works. I kited around a mob for minutes waiting for my pets attack to get aggro. Recount show that my pet did 97% of the damage during the fight, and that mob never stopped attacking me. I went and played with this some more and lo and behold the pattern stuck.

EDIT: I stand correcting, I tested this on the wrong kind of mobs and it's simply not true, apologies.

So, when I go into a dungeon on a tank toon, say my druid and the pet pulls aggro off me and keeps aggro unless I taunt back THAT PET HAS GROWL ON! So stop saying "its not on" when I damn well know it is. I am doing 30-40k dps on teh tank, you pet's 11k isnt going to hold threat considering my 500% threat inscrease on all attacks. I have been doing the Valentine's Day bosses and 7 out of 10 retard hunters have pet growl on and swear that it isn't. If growl wasn't on the pet would not have aggro the entire fight. Why is it do hard, to say "sorry I was soloing" and turn the GD growl off?
    Last edited by Kantoro; 2013-02-12 at 02:43 PM.

First part is simply BS. Your pets standard attacks, including KC, generate threat. It is nothing even semi close in the scale of what growl generates, but if your pet out threats you, barring "fixate" type mobs, he will pull the mobs attention off you. Pets aren't excluded from standard threat mechanics.

You don't need to pad your argument that dumb hunters have growl on when they pull off you with the misinformation that a pet without growl on cannot pull threat, it's simply not true. Yes in standard 5-man type situations, it will not happen (without growl), because his threat is very low compared to the group, but it still exists.

Yes there are a lot of dumb hunters, and yes they have growl on, and yes they will pull off you. That's life. It really doesn't matter. If it's against hard hitting mobs, the pet will die and maybe the hunter will learn. If it's not, does it really matter? Holiday bosses are srs business.....

Hrm, I swear I tested this, but I think I tested this on weird mobs, like the ones that spawn on your farm from wiggling so and so. I just retested it on regular mobs and you are right, got my head up my ass. I stand by the 2nd half of the post though, no way a hunter pet without growl can yank and hold threat off even the crappiest tank. The fact that is was a holiday boss isn't the issue, it's the fact that retards can't just own up to a mistake.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kantoro View Post
    Hrm, I swear I tested this, but I think I tested this on weird mobs, like the ones that spawn on your farm from wiggling so and so. I just retested it on regular mobs and you are right, got my head up my ass. I stand by the 2nd half of the post though, no way a hunter pet without growl can yank and hold threat off even the crappiest tank. The fact that is was a holiday boss isn't the issue, it's the fact that retards can't just own up to a mistake.
    Those mobs attack the character at all times, so that's solved then.

Beast Mastery pets can actually do quite a large amount of up front burst damage (and threat). If I do dungeons as Beast Mastery it's really not uncommon for my pet to instantly get threat, have the mob taunted by a tank, and get threat again not much later. Either I'm overgearing our tank or our tank is simply not that good but it's definitely possible. Sometimes tanks rage at me for having ''my pet taunt on'' when it really isn't. I have a giant power aura on my screen every time my pet taunts and I can see the taunt debuff as well. It's not a case of that taunt bug where if you zone in with taunt active it will stay on when you Stampede and such.

Granted this never happened in non-Beast Mastery specs and I stopped playing Beast Mastery in dungeons months ago, but my point is that the pet generates threat just like anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    Those mobs attack the character at all times, so that's solved then.
    Not quite, they just spawn with an absurd amount of threat on the player instantly, something like 500,000 or 5,000,000. Growl will take those off you, though, pretty much permanently. That's another situation I guess besides fixates that you might see that happen, and that does occur in other places too, where mobs spawn with a very large amount of threat on someone immediately, but are sometimes still able to be taunted or threat-dropped.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiralphoenix View Post
    Not quite, they just spawn with an absurd amount of threat on the player instantly, something like 500,000 or 5,000,000. Growl will take those off you, though, pretty much permanently. That's another situation I guess besides fixates that you might see that happen, and that does occur in other places too, where mobs spawn with a very large amount of threat on someone immediately, but are sometimes still able to be taunted or threat-dropped.
    Well I wasn't aware on the exact mechanics, I was assuming it was a hidden fixate buff. My pet's growl however doesn't do anything on those mobs.
    No idea what's up with that.

It can depend on the gear you have and if you get that early BW+KC crit with procs and things like that. KC is technically a move done by your pet as well all know so the threat from it can rip it off of a tank on some rare occasions. Not likely to happen but I've had it happen to me once or twice.

Blink Strike is also technically pet damage and can do some pretty insane threat.

I know I do the pull for our team in H-Spirit Kings just so we can all be pre-stacked for the massive attacks. I obviously do that fight in BM, and even with MD up, I have to spam a couple AS first or halfway to us the boss will turn and gib my pet just from one KC + bite + auto attacks. Can't go into my typical starter there.

I understand snap threat and burst threat, but I am talking when the pet is consistently pulling threat off tanks, and holding it unless the mob is taunted only to see the tank loos aggro when taunt wears off. It is obvious that growl is on and people just won't admit to such a common mistake. With the 500% threat increase on tanks, your average new 90 tank is doing maybe 15k dps, that's 75k tps. No pet is going to do that much tps without growl on (for longer than 2-3 seconds anyways). A simple, "Oopps, was just out soloing" would suffice. Instead of getting this indignant attitude and the name calling starts. The laughable part starts when recount shows the hunter doing 20k dps combines and still proceeds to say that growl was not on...

EDIT: I have a MD macro with our tanks name built in specifically for pulls like Spirit Kings heh, this after watching our healer get instagibbed a couple times.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kantoro View Post
    -snip-
    I do totally get what you mean. I've tanked a lot in the past and it seems like no Hunter ever is willing to admit they left growl on, and some even refuse to turn it off for the rest of the dungeon just to ''prove'' it wasn't on and the pet is doing that much threat. Not to mention that me as a tank are always on top of the mobs, can see the growl animation, hear the growl sound and see the growl debuff.

However at the same time I've seen tanks in the past shout at me for having growl on despite it being turned off. Granted it's usually tanks who do one AoE and then single target one mob while my pet is attacking a different mob, but pets do more damage than you think. At the same time however I'm not exactly a Hunter who does 20k DPS combined like you mentioned.

I think every Hunter should have either a poweraura or other addon installed, and tanks can easily grab BadPet to auto-whisper and notify Hunters that their pet is growling.

/petautocastoff [group]Growl
    /petautocaston [nogroup]Growl

^ Add in a macro with whatever frequently used shot you want, problem solved.

I don't think anyone has noticed this but when a hunter pet growls at a target it puts a buff on it for 3sec....so you can tell if a hunter has it on just by seeing the growl pop up every 8sec on the target.....