Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Looking For Some Feedback On A New PC Build

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CsgG This is the baseline I'm starting with.

A friend of mine noticed I had purchased a new pc with my income tax return and he wants to do the same, I offered (free of charge you ninjas) to find a good build for his price range.

The price for that build is ~540 because that was my basic budget. I'm looking for any recommendations on the parts individually and operating with a budget of about 600-700. So as much bang for the buck as you can get with that budget if you have any suggestions. My friend also wants to be able to upgrade it in the future. Something he will be able to do more often than I can so I wasn't sure if the motherboard I chose would be good for that.

The parts listed are the only ones he needs with these exceptions

He also needs:
    An Optical Drive
    Monitor 720-1080 lcd/led preferred.
    Speakers(or built in speakers with the monitor) These can be upgraded later so he would take monitor built in speakers for now if it cheapens the build. He's not at all against spending the money in the future he just wants to reduce the immediate impact.

The general thinking here is if you have to cut back on something for the sake of fitting the monitor in the budget then cut back on the graphics card. He wants to play games but upgrading graphics cards is quick and easy so that can be done later. Easier to play on medium settings with a monitor than run ultra without one lol. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a little confused, but is the 600-700 budget including the monitor? Speakers can be had easily.. depending on what he wants. Optical drives only cost $15.

Secondly... The H77 does not allow for much upgrade. How much would he want to upgrade, anyway?

Either go with a B75 board and i5-3350P with no plan to upgrade CPU (the 3350 is as good as the 3570K stock)... Or go with a Z77 board and keep the i3-3220,to upgrade to the 3570K later. It might be worthwhile to get a 520w Power supply, if he intends to go with a high end GPU later.

Also, get 1600 ram. Its the same price as 1333
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-02-09 at 09:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CsOf

Oh, only just noticed he needed a monitor... does he have a crappy old monitor he could just use in the mean time? I'd recommend saving for a quality monitor instead of skimping on the PC to fit in some crappy $100 monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'm a little confused, but is the 600-700 budget including the monitor? Speakers can be had easily.. depending on what he wants. Optical drives only cost $15.

Secondly... The H77 does not allow for much upgrade. How much would he want to upgrade, anyway?

Either go with a B75 board and i5-3350P with no plan to upgrade CPU (the 3350 is as good as the 3570K stock)... Or go with a Z77 board and keep the i3-3220,to upgrade to the 3570K later. It might be worthwhile to get a 520w Power supply, if he intends to go with a high end GPU later.

Also, get 1600 ram. Its the same price as 1333
    Yes the 600-700 is including the monitor. I got a 1080p HD LED for 159 so I figured that'd be about the price. will the mobo on that partlist support 1600 ram? I'll look at it and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Ineko View Post
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CsOf

Oh, only just noticed he needed a monitor... does he have a crappy old monitor he could just use in the mean time? I'd recommend saving for a quality monitor instead of skimping on the PC to fit in some crappy $100 monitor.
    No he has no monitor or I would've recommended the same.

That MOBO is micro ATX. Why? I've always bought ATX mobos with full ATX towers.
    Last edited by SpartanG01; 2013-02-09 at 11:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    the mobo on that partlist support 1600 ram?
    Yep

That MOBO is micro ATX. Why? I've always bought ATX mobos with full ATX towers.
    There is no 'part' difference between atx and microatx. Just less PCI/PCIE slots usually, which you likely won't need.

It's probably just the cheaper Z77 boards. But.. it's moot since that build will end up being close to $900, sooooo...

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CuhJ this is where im at right now. (case was his choice)

I need a specific reccomendation now though, I need 1 of two things

a better processor than the one on that list that is compatible with the motherboard on that list

OR

a new motherboard/processor combination that is compatible with everything else on that list.

He wants to spend a bit more to have a better CPU (That does not require an extra heatsink, he has expressed discomfort with being expected to install a heatsink over his CPU, dunno why.)

without exceeding 650 by more than a couple dollars.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($76.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: BitFenix Merc Beta (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $481.88
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-09 18:48 EST-0500)

10+ Year Old Account
    Either this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CuD1 (i3, Z77 to upgrade to i5-3570k later) $690
    or this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CuEc (i5, B75 with no intent to upgrade later) $700

About the same price, but different purposes.

First off, the heatsink. Buying a retail CPU means the heatsink is included, but not attached. He will need to install a heatsink no matter what. ALL CPU's require a heatsink, and all heatsinks need to be installed, 3rd part or not.

That said... Does he ever plan to overclock? If not, go with the i5-3350P. If he intends to overclock, get the i3 for now, and when he can afford it, move to the i5 and a better heatsink to support overclocking.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanG01 View Post
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CuhJ this is where im at right now. (case was his choice)

I need a specific reccomendation now though, I need 1 of two things

a better processor than the one on that list that is compatible with the motherboard on that list

OR

a new motherboard/processor combination that is compatible with everything else on that list.

He wants to spend a bit more to have a better CPU (That does not require an extra heatsink, he has expressed discomfort with being expected to install a heatsink over his CPU, dunno why.)

without exceeding 650 by more than a couple dollars.
    That build had no CPU at all, nor a copy of windows, adding both would add ~$250-300 to the build. If you're gonna spend that much, I'd do this:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill NS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Case: Raidmax Viper (Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($57.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Monitor: Acer V243HQAJbmd 60Hz 23.6" Monitor ($149.59 @ Mac Connection)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $848.46
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-09 18:58 EST-0500)

That's going quite a bit above budget but is an excellent system. In a year-ish, when he wants to put more into it he can add an aftermarket cooler and OC it and add in a SSD.

Here is another option that is still slightly over budget, not as good and would require CPU/MoBo upgrades later.

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill NS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Raidmax Viper (Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($57.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Monitor: Acer G236HLBbd 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $718.86
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-09 19:10 EST-0500)

I left out the CPU on accident but he doesn't need windows. I think I got it all figured out though thanks everyone

I left out the CPU on accident but he doesn't need windows. I think I got it all figured out though thanks everyone
    Show us what you have planned, would like to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Show us what you have planned, would like to see it.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CuD1

He wanted to stay under 700$ with monitor so this is what it worked out to.

10+ Year Old Account
    So he'll be upgrading to the i5-3570K down the road, then?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: MSI B75MA-P45 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($61.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.99 @ Compuvest)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($104.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.21 @ Amazon)
    Monitor: Acer P246HL Abd 60Hz 24.0" Monitor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $713.09
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-11 16:57 EST-0500)

This IMO would be a better choice for the money considering your current build and its cost. You lose HDMI on the monitor, not a big deal. You gain more where it counts.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    So he'll be upgrading to the i5-3570K down the road, then?
    Yeah. Question though between these two Motherboards:

ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP LGA 1155 Intel H77

And

ASRock Z77 Pro4-M LGA 1155 Intel Z77

First, Is one specifically "better" than the other?

Second, would this motherboard ASRock Z77 Pro4-M LGA 1155 Intel Z77 be compatible with this build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/D40J and in the future could it be upgraded with a Intel Core i5-3570K or some other better processor?

I'm asking because I'm buying this build (the one I linked above) because my budget is slightly less but I have the case, 3220 processor, optical drive, and GFX card already I'm just wondering if I should buy a different motherboard so I can upgrade the processor in the future it's just whatever mobo I buy needs to also be compatible with the i3 3220

The Z77 has the option to overclock an unlocked CPU like the 3570K via multiplier which the H77 does not. The overclocking abilities of a H77 motherboard is almost non-existent.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Main difference between those two boards is the second one is smaller, no other major differences. The first board is your best bet and will support both chips.

For gaming, you are not gonna get better than the i5-3570k, so no need to worry about that.

Second, would this motherboard ASRock Z77 Pro4-M LGA 1155 Intel Z77 be compatible with this build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/D40J and in the future could it be upgraded with a Intel Core i5-3570K or some other better processor?
    Yes

10 chars

Deleted
    From personal experience when it comes to building a PC, if you're looking to upgrade your system in the future then I would invest in a decent CPU/Motherboard now and then look to upgrade the GPU and perhaps look at including an SSD later down the line (SSD's are dropping in price fairly quickly and you can find some amazing deals atm).

There are many reasons why it wouldn't be advisable to invest in a relative weak Intel CPU now:

a) Firstly Intel are releasing their new Haswell Chips soon, which will not be compatible with Socket 1155. This will effect stocks of the outgoing Ivy Bridge CPUs. They won't suddenly disappear but you'll see them slowly phased out.

b) If you're expecting a price drop for more powerful CPUs that are compatible with your motherboard in the future, then you'll be sorely disappointed. Prices for old gen CPUs hardly change. What's worse, you'll find yourself paying the same amount or even more compared to new CPUs which perform better and are more efficient. For CPUs anyway, great money saving deals are often to be had with new generation hardware.

I've bought the top of the line Sandy Bridge i5 (2500k) over 1.5 years ago (before summer of 2011) and till this day it still holds it's own against the i5 3570k. I bought it with a midrange GPU which is fairly weak compared to today's standard of midrange GPU's. Today the only thing I need to invest in is a decent GPU and I'll be good for almost any GPU bound game.

So in short, invest in a decent CPU and mobo now and if you must, get a weak GPU for the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    The Z77 has the option to overclock an unlocked CPU like the 3570K via multiplier which the H77 does not. The overclocking abilities of a H77 motherboard is almost non-existent.
    I'm not planning to do any overclocking at all. I've never felt comfortable with that. I'm fine with it running the way it does stock. I don't want to invest into any coolers or risk overheated parts or an unstable processor. I know everyone says it's easy as pie lol but easy is perspective I'd rather not mess around with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drudgery View Post
    From personal experience when it comes to building a PC, if you're looking to upgrade your system in the future then I would invest in a decent CPU/Motherboard now and then look to upgrade the GPU and perhaps look at including an SSD later down the line (SSD's are dropping in price fairly quickly and you can find some amazing deals atm).

There are many reasons why it wouldn't be advisable to invest in a relative weak Intel CPU now:

a) Firstly Intel are releasing their new Haswell Chips soon, which will not be compatible with Socket 1155. This will effect stocks of the outgoing Ivy Bridge CPUs. They won't suddenly disappear but you'll see them slowly phased out.

b) If you're expecting a price drop for more powerful CPUs that are compatible with your motherboard in the future, then you'll be sorely disappointed. Prices for old gen CPUs hardly change. What's worse, you'll find yourself paying the same amount or even more compared to new CPUs which perform better and are more efficient. For CPUs anyway, great money saving deals are often to be had with new generation hardware.

I've bought the top of the line Sandy Bridge i5 (2500k) over 1.5 years ago (before summer of 2011) and till this day it still holds it's own against the i5 3570k. I bought it with a midrange GPU which is fairly weak compared to today's standard of midrange GPU's. Today the only thing I need to invest in is a decent GPU and I'll be good for almost any GPU bound game.

So in short, invest in a decent CPU and mobo now and if you must, get a weak GPU for the moment.
    The GPU I found was my compromise as far as price goes. I definitely do plan on getting an SSD but that's another 100$ right now, I can do that later and I've always been extremely comfortable formatting, partitioning, and ghosting drives so I'm not worried about putting everything ona Sata6 right now. I know the price of CPU's won't change but as far as a good motherboard and cpu combo what would you recommend? Is there something I can get now that will be compatible with the next set of chips being released that isn't massively expensive? (Also keep in mind I already have the i3 3220. It's sitting about six feet from me, got it for almost half retail a while back from newegg and have held on to it for a while) I'm not adverse to the idea of spending a little bit more than I am now but that would also entail returning a product, waiting for that money and purchasing later and all that bs so if it is an upgrade it'd have to be a pretty staggering one.