Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

My dog is acting weird.

Hello! So i have this weird problem with my dog , it started today out of the blue. My dog usually sleeps in the living room on a small rug , the rest of the floor is made from wood tiles ( i think that's how it's called in english? or parquet? hopefully you understand what i mean) , anyway! He's been in that room before, for years even and slept there or ran around in it with no problems at all. He slept in the living room every night , even last night.

Today however, and even now, he is afraid of coming in the room , it's like he is afraid of the wood tile floor and IF he reaches his small rug he doesn't want to leave it ( unless it's out the door that's when he darts out of the room) , he then scans the room looking at everything , like somehow it's a different room or is seeing "ghosts" ( just to get a better idea of what i mean) also he keeps staring at me.

Anyone else had problems like these with their pets? From what i've looked on google, most people say that something must of scared the pet in there, like in some cases a new fan , or anything newly added to the room. However there hasn't been anything new or even added to the room, in which case i guess he just dreamed something / nightmare regarding the room and now is afraid of it? Haha i have no idea but i find it a bit weird since he's never been like this before.

Edit : To clarify more, the room is exactly the same as it was yesterday when he was fine. No new smells , no new detergent smell from washing the tile floor . Nothing at all changed in there
    Last edited by mmocb3b54be47d; 2013-02-12 at 10:34 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is there a crawlspace beneath your floor? Maybe there's a rodent or some type of animal/infestation. Possibly even something standard as mold. Animals react strange/differently at times to environmental changes. Or , maybe the dog's old?

Did not see your edit. Mold could still be a possibility , sometimes it's not always pungent.
    Last edited by enphestid; 2013-02-12 at 10:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    When an Animal senses something is wrong, something is wrong.

Deleted
    Alright listen to me, im a vet.

You need to go to your dog and gently pat it to sleep. After you do this, you enter your kitchen and open your fridge - Grab an onio... Oh shit wrong thread...

Thought this was cooking...

OT, maybe it's cold? I know my cats refuse to step on the kitchen floor when it is (But in fairness, it's extremely cold)

He probably ran in there, slipped on the hard wood, fell and hurt itself.

My dog is the same way with our kitchen, he gets over it after a few days and repeats this 2-3 times a year.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by teddytous View Post
    He probably ran in there, slipped on the hard wood, fell and hurt itself.

My dog is the same way with our kitchen, he gets over it after a few days and repeats this 2-3 times a year.
    My cat loves to drool like a tard when shes being pet The biggest shame i know.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    My cat loves to drool like a tard when shes being pet The biggest shame i know.
    Cool......

Deleted
    Cool......
    And so was the reminiscent tale of your stupid dog running into things.

Oh wait, no it wasnt.

Treat people the way you expect to be treated, one liners implying you couldnt give a fuck is pretty much it.

Bring your dog to a vet Or call a priest to bless your house o.O

Deleted
    Okay, let's chill please. No need to get personal.

Oh wait, no it wasnt.

Treat people the way you expect to be treated, one liners implying you couldnt give a fuck is pretty much it.
    Except mine was a direct response to a possible solution to the OPs question "Anyone else had problems like these with their pets?" as my dog exhibits an almost identical behavior to what he described after doing what I said, and yours was quoting me and putting random completely unrelated gibberish to not only my response, but also completely unrelated to the OPs question, below it.

What response to were you hoping for when you quoted me? Cause I honestly don't know how else to response to someone walking up and randomly saying their cat drools when they pet it randomly out of the blue other then to just say a one liner(or ignore them, but I was taught never to ignore someone who speaks directly to me).... or was it that my original post deserved to be mocked somehow because my pet experiences seemed out of place in a thread where the OP is asking about the experiences of other pet owners?

Okay, let's chill please. No need to get personal.
    I didn't think I was being uncivil, I won't post here again, just had to ask exactly how I'd wronged this poor fellow. Hope everything works out with your dog OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post

Oh wait, no it wasnt.

tool.......

Infracted.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2013-02-13 at 03:57 PM.

Deleted
    Except mine was a direct response to a possible solution to the OPs question "Anyone else had problems like these with their pets?" as my dog exhibits an almost identical behavior to what he described after doing what I said, and yours was quoting me and putting random completely unrelated gibberish to not only my response, but also completely unrelated to the OPs question, below it.

What response to were you hoping for when you quoted me? Cause I honestly don't know how else to response to someone walking up and randomly saying their cat drools when they pet it randomly out of the blue other then to just say a one liner(or ignore them, but I was taught never to ignore someone who speaks directly to me).... or was it that my original post deserved to be mocked somehow because my pet experiences seemed out of place in a thread where the OP is asking about the experiences of other pet owners?

I didn't think I was being uncivil, I won't post here again, just had to ask exactly how I'd wronged this poor fellow. Hope everything works out with your dog OP.
    Now, what do you call what you just did between you and the ops dog. A comparasion! Yay. I compared my cat being a derpy motherfucker to your dog, and you refused to extend further when YOU quoted me.

Apart from saying "cool...."

See why someone might be aggrevated? No? Dont quote others when you refuse to extend further on the discussion being said, because it's infractionable i believe not contributing to a discussion at hand.

It all cancels down to perspective though, did i overeact when you simply did a one liner refusing to continue in a discussion. Perhaps, but in your own actions i'll respond like this.

Lol.....

And your welcome to stop posting here, perhaps learning to quote a person correctly to continue a discussion might go hand in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by killidan View Post
    tool.......
    Mature, and reported.

- Edit, and how is comparing your dog doing stupid things 2-3 times a year different from my cat refusing to step on a cold floor. His dog may hate the cold and refuses to sleep there.

I added that my cat drools when pet as a funny tale to be added to the discussion, not to be taken on its own merit. Which you obviously failed to grasp?
    Last edited by mmoc1aca3196c5; 2013-02-13 at 04:03 AM.

It could be any number of things. The important part here is you do not coddle your dog through this. If you do, he will learn the behaviour will get him rewarded, and he'll never stop doing it.

Move the rug closer to the door, perhaps, so he won't have to travel very far into the room to lie on it. As he seems to be more comfortable, you can slowly move it back to its original spot.

Do some training in the room - simple things, sit, down, etc. and praise him extensively and with treats when he performs the trick correctly. This will have the double benefit of getting his mind off why he's now scared of the room along with associating the room with reward and praise.

Make sure his nails are clipped and any excess hair in his pads is trimmed - this will help prevent slipping when he walks or runs into the room.

If he enjoys playing with toys, bring those into the room and play with them in there with him.

The important part is to make him feel the room is a safe den he can go into. The original cause might have been something as minor as a loud noise when he was in the room, and he's now associating that fear with the room in general. The cause is far less important than what you do now that the problem exists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im guessing your dog slipped? I have a dog that barely budged for a couple of days after slipping on the floor. Not he's a pro at walking on wood. He slides on purpose when he is playing.

Deleted
    I'm going to have to go with the 'perhaps he slipped' idea.

Same thing happened to my dog once. He walked on the floor he had been running on for ages like it was made of greased up ice. Quite funny to watch once you realize it's nothing serious tbh.

Good luck, OP! Hope he gets back to his old self soon. The dog that is, not you, OP.

Edit.

Does he walk fine in other areas / on other surfaces? For instance when outside on a walk?

And what kind of dog is it? (Mostly curious, wont add anything to the actual discussion.)
    Last edited by mmoce04b469aa5; 2013-02-14 at 01:58 PM.

Like others said, he probably slipped on the floor. I wouldn't be surprised if something startled him and caused him to slip, which is why he looks around. Cats can get the same way if something startles them and they get hurt. They tend to associate the entire package {noise = location = injury} as one thing. You mention that he's been fine with the room for years, so I'd have to guess he's not a puppy anymore. Maybe he's getting slightly arthritic and when he fell it hurt without doing any noticeable damage.

I'd definitely check his paws and make sure his nails and fur are cut like gpherder mentioned. Take him to a groomer if you don't know how to do it yourself.

Deleted
    As a dogowner I'm fairly certain it's the scenario already depicted here, he ran on the wooden floors, slipped and fell, and got spooked by it.
    If you have a medium/large dog you should keep rugs all over the floors, because even a "funny" looking slip here and there will lead to hip- and joint problems.

This is exactly the scenario people yell at horror movie characters for ignoring.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DomesticViolence View Post
    When an Animal senses something is wrong, something is wrong.
    But sometimes it is the animal that is wrong.