Thread: 5.4? Wait what?

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Marahdeka View Post
    What exactly made you think that Siege would be 5.3?
    1. cata was up to 4.3
    2. wotlk was up to 3.5
    3. TBC was up to 2.4
    4. vanilla was up to 1.12
    Do you see any pattern on which you could predict MoP would be up to 5.3? Cause i don't.
    That's how superstition works. You see a Pattern in just ONE happening, and then people talk about this "pattern" long enough so everyone believes it was there from the dawn of time. Expect to correct more people for way long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    What? Cataclysm was by far the shortest with only 20 months. Wrath was the longest with 26.
    Hope Mists lasts at least 24 months, with 12 of them spent in 5.4, same as Wrath basically.
    January 2010 is when cataclysm was released according to the Google search i did. Mop was released 30 months later in September of 2012. I was surprised too but it is the longest expansion to date.

whatever 5.4 is, i know 5.5 is going to be the love scandal between anduin and wrathion

Quote Originally Posted by Spinachsandwich View Post
    January 2010 is when cataclysm was released according to the Google search i did. Mop was released 30 months later in September of 2012. I was surprised too but it is the longest expansion to date.
    You may want to brush up on how to actually do a Google search. Cataclysm released on December 7th, 2010.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    You may want to brush up on how to actually do a Google search. Cataclysm released on December 7th, 2010.
    That doesn't throw off my approximate 30 month duration of cataclysm expansion or the fact that the expansions have averaged 26 months in length.

That doesn't throw off my approximate 30 month duration of cataclysm expansion or the fact that the expansions have averaged 26 months in length.
    Ok, let's do the math.

Cataclysm launched on December 7, 2010 --> Mists launched on September 25, 2012 = a difference of less than 22 months.

As for other expansions:
    BC lasted approximately 22 months (January 16, 2007 to November 13, 2008).
    Wrath lasted approximately 25 months (November 13, 2008 to December 7, 2010).

So an average of 23 months for BC, Wrath, and Cata.
    Last edited by brothernads; 2013-02-13 at 08:17 PM.

I'm just going to assume you're an alien that doesn't know how time works on Earth so therefor you have no clue how incredibly wrong you are in that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by kolston View Post
    You're correct, I should have said receive. I was just pointing out that players have received legendaries during different points in the past, so just because the quest line is over, and we've possibly received legendaries, there still could be a raid afterwards. It can go both ways. I'd personally like to see another raid tier before SoO, old god/Titan related. The events of that raid could lead to Garrosh's final sin that forces everyone against him. Wishful thinking surely, but the lore in 5.2 really has me hoping we get explore the depths of Pandaria.
    Tries to use demons to empower the orcs again
    Thrall steps in says fuck you
    Too late and a gate opens that starts demon invasion
    Sargeras tries to go all algalon on some Azerothian asses (Ha, Kil'Jaeden couldn't fit his ass out)
    Knocked back into the portal taking Thrall/Wrynn with him
    Dramatic build up in the search for Thrall/Wrynn over the next expansion that leads to Sarge and the burning legion Xpac

Now I'm not saying that's what's going to happen, but I will say it sounds pretty sweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright you're right I was counting an extra year, my mistake. That brings the average expansion down to 23 months so far, and leaves us with probably 18 months until the next expansion. It's still too many months for only 2 raid tiers.

Alright you're right I was counting an extra year, my mistake. That brings the average expansion down to 23 months so far, and leaves us with probably 18 months until the next expansion. It's still too many months for only 2 raid tiers.
    You can't only look at expansion release dates. The final raid for both Cata and Wrath came almost exactly one year after release. Not enough to establish a pattern I know, but a September release of the last raid would be right inside the window that Blizzard wants for how long each raid tier lasts. You are also making an assumption that this expansion will last as long as the others. I do not think that is true at all. I assume it will be about 18-20 months in length, with an expansion release in April or May of 2014.

I fully expect Blizzcon in August with the new expansion announcement, SoO to be out by September, and the beta for the new expansion starting very shortly after. There was no external alpha testing for MoP (because of how badly the alpha for Cata was leaked) and I see no reason why there would be any for the next expansion.
    Last edited by Gurbz; 2013-02-13 at 08:34 PM.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

Let's look at Cataclysm:
    - Released on Dec. 7, 2010 with Tier 11 raids
    - Tier 12 raid (Firelands) released on June 28, 2011 --> nearly 7 months later.
    - Tier 13 raid (Dragon Soul) released on November 29, 2011 --> 6 months later.
    - Mists released on September 25, 2012 --> 10 months after that.

So, in Cataclysm, we had 16 months for the final two raid tiers -- which Blizzard readily admits was a mistake. Blizzard's mantra for Mists has been "get content out faster" and they've previously indicated that they want to shorten the expansion cycle. So the traditional "average" expansion length may not be a good barometer any more.

If they intend to include a fourth raid tier in Mists, then 18 months would be reasonable. But if Siege of Orgrimmar -- the admitted final raid of Mists -- really is planned for patch 5.4, I'd expect that the next expansion will be arriving sooner than 18 months. Possibly as soon as next May-June.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buu View Post
    That's how superstition works. You see a Pattern in just ONE happening, and then people talk about this "pattern" long enough so everyone believes it was there from the dawn of time. Expect to correct more people for way long.
    In addition, discussing tiers.

Vanilla: 1, 2, 2.5 (AQ), 3

BC: 4, 5, 6, 6.5 (SWP)

Wrath: 7, 8, 9, 10

Cata: 11, 12, 13

MoP: 14, 15...

If anything there's more a trend to 4 tiers than shorter expansions.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Gurbz View Post
    You can't only look at expansion release dates. The final raid for both Cata and Wrath came almost exactly one year after release. Not enough to establish a pattern I know, but a September release of the last raid would be right inside the window that Blizzard wants for how long each raid tier lasts. You are also making an assumption that this expansion will last as long as the others. I do not think that is true at all. I assume it will be about 18-20 months in length, with an expansion release in April or May of 2014.

I fully expect SoO to be out by September, Blizzcon in October, and beta for the next expansion starting either the same time as Blizzcon (announced start at Blizzcon) or very shortly after.
    This is along the lines of my expectations as well. Although I have a sneaking suspicion that Blizzcon may be in August this year. That would be the perfect time to announce the next expansion, maybe provide hints of beta in Sept.-Oct., and give them about 9-10 months to get the expansion out.

Quote Originally Posted by brothernads View Post
    This is along the lines of my expectations as well. Although I have a sneaking suspicion that Blizzcon may be in August this year. That would be the perfect time to announce the next expansion, maybe provide hints of an impending beta, and give them about 10 months to get the expansion out.
    Yeah I thought about it a bit more and an August Blizzcon makes a lot more sense. Changed my post to reflect that.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    If they want to do better than Cata then they will keep the SoO until 5.6. I'm putting Wrath as an example cause during Cata they messed up.

5.0 - Starter Raids - 3.0
    5.1 - Lore Patch
    5.2 - First Raid - 3.1 (Ulduar)
    5.3 - Lore Patch
    5.4 - Second Raid - 3.2 (ToC)
    5.5 - Lore Patch
    5.6 - Third Raid - 3.3 (ICC)

So it's not wise to stop at 5.4 cause they will have less raids than Wrath. Don't mention Cata cause Blizz themselves said they fucked up.
    Who cares if it has less raids than wrath, if the xpac is ready 6 months after 5.4 then release the damn thing. It'd only help blizzard in the end to have quicker expansion releases.

Deleted
    I doubt we will get another Tier after 5.4 raid, but I think we will get some small raid (4-5 bosses) to establish some entry point for new expansion ( Blizzard is surely awere how they failed with Cata - MoP transition, not even proper event).
    I picture it like that - We kill Garrosh in SoO, Wrathion says "gratz, now we delt with minor problems on Azeroth, and you are ready my champion to face real threat". He gives us legendary weapon to face the challenge he foresought at start of MoP - Burning Legion. Of course main plot, and bosses will be left for new expansion, but we could fight a first wave of invaders or something, and like I said, Blizzard doesnt even need to make new gear for that, this could work more like an event raid.

Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    I doubt we will get another Tier after 5.4 raid, but I think we will get some small raid (4-5 bosses) to establish some entry point for new expansion ( Blizzard is surely awere how they failed with Cata - MoP transition, not even proper event).
    I picture it like that - We kill Garrosh in SoO, Wrathion says "gratz, now we delt with minor problems on Azeroth, and you are ready my champion to face real threat". He gives us legendary weapon to face the challenge he foresought at start of MoP - Burning Legion. Of course main plot, and bosses will be left for new expansion, but we could fight a first wave of invaders or something, and like I said, Blizzard doesnt even need to make new gear for that, this could work more like an event raid.
    I don't think they will do another transition raid. They tried that in Wrath with the Ruby Sanctum and it didn't go over well at all. Basically most raids ran it until they got the achievement (so once or twice, more often than not) then never went back. And people still complained that there was no real content, constantly saying that RS didn't count.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurbz View Post
    I don't think they will do another transition raid. They tried that in Wrath with the Ruby Sanctum and it didn't go over well at all. Basically most raids ran it until they got the achievement (so once or twice, more often than not) then never went back. And people still complained that there was no real content, constantly saying that RS didn't count.
    RS didn't count because Wrath's storyline ended with the death of Arthas.

Just like MoP's storyline will end with the slaying of Garrosh. Blizz already said SoO is the final raid of MoP. Anything after is part of the next expansion.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)