Deleted

freshly dinged 90, what should i do 5.2?

For the upcoming thunderking raid you need ilvl 480 for LFR. How can i get to 480 ilvl? All i can see is 2 months of MSV... i quit wow originally because i was too far behind, so i contemplate returning to WoW to find out that i need to do 2 months of old content? In which case i have to be 2 months behind, again?!

Or should i just sit in bgs and join LFR with 5.2 honor gear?

Thanks for reading, typed this on a tablet

Deleted
    Run dungeons for 463 gear, don't spend justice points on anything (unless you would go over cap).
    Go into lfr as soon as you can (first part).
    Buy some craftables if you haven't gotten them by now (gloves/chest, perhaps darkmoon trinket if you can afford).
    Do love is in the air event till you get 480 ilvl neck.
    Do some more dungeons for justice if need be till you get 470 ilvl, make sure to upgrade items you are less likely to replace.
    Do enough dailies to get 3 coins.
    Do 2nd part of lfr when you have 470 ilvl, use coins on bosses (unless you plan on doing normal/heroic t14).
    Do all lfr next week(s) too, and upgrade your last bits of 463 with justice points.

And with the new announcement: do NOT spend valors. If you save 3k valors for 5.2, you will be able to instantly buy a 522 neck for 1250 valor points, and possibly quite quickly bracers or a trinket the next week (only requires friendly, not sure yet how quick rep will go). With these 2, I doubt you'll be far off from reaching 480 tbh.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpette View Post
    Run dungeons for 463 gear, don't spend justice points on anything (unless you would go over cap).
    Go into lfr as soon as you can (first part).
    Buy some craftables if you haven't gotten them by now (gloves/chest, perhaps darkmoon trinket if you can afford).
    Do love is in the air event till you get 480 ilvl neck.
    Do some more dungeons for justice if need be till you get 470 ilvl, make sure to upgrade items you are less likely to replace.
    Do enough dailies to get 3 coins.
    Do 2nd part of lfr when you have 470 ilvl, use coins on bosses (unless you plan on doing normal/heroic t14).
    Do all lfr next week(s) too, and upgrade your last bits of 463 with justice points.

And with the new announcement: do NOT spend valors. If you save 3k valors for 5.2, you will be able to instantly buy a 522 neck for 1250 valor points, and possibly quite quickly bracers or a trinket the next week (only requires friendly, not sure yet how quick rep will go). With these 2, I doubt you'll be far off from reaching 480 tbh.
    Do you think i should just grind 5.2 honor gear and then que LFR? Everything you've said seems quite longish

Grinding honor up to 480 will take just as long, if not longer, considering you'll have no PvP gear and be almost completely unable to help if the other team is geared. The dungeon runs are very fast because of how easy they are these days. You're going to want to do dailies for the Lesser Charms anyways to get those coins for extra rolls.

When 5.2 hits, all 5.0 gear drops are going to be buffed. If you get started now, you'll almost definitely be ready for 5.2 the week it's out, if not the week after. Certainly not 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by iknowi View Post
    Do you think i should just grind 5.2 honor gear and then que LFR? Everything you've said seems quite longish
    Maybe you should quit again. If that bare minimum is too much for you, I don't foresee good things.

Also, I'd change something from derpette's list. Assuming you're only doing LFR you should be getting the elder coins now, but only spending them after 5.2 hits. This couple with the fact that the likelihood of you getting loot will be higher surely means you'll get the most out of it.

Cap Valor and hoard it for the next patch since they are not wiping it, get as much heroic gear as you can to get your iLevel up high enough to at least run Vaults in LFR so you can take advantage of the increased drop rate in the next patch.

justice points will be worthless in the next patch so just burn them on upgrading your heroic drops.

PvP gear is not a good gateway into LFR, due to the lower ilevels.
    Last edited by Redmage; 2013-02-13 at 06:35 PM.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sOvrn View Post
    Also, I'd change something from derpette's list. Assuming you're only doing LFR you should be getting the elder coins now, but only spending them after 5.2 hits. This couple with the fact that the likelihood of you getting loot will be higher surely means you'll get the most out of it.
    I was under the impression that the charms for t14 would be drops from random mobs in the new daily quest hub in 5.2 or something, no? Which would mean you could potentially hard farm them in a couple of weeks and are better of spending the ones you got now. Just make sure you spend them on bosses purely for ilvl, not biggest upgrade (aka avoid bosses with loot that would be sidegrade).

Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    PvP gear is not a good gateway into LFR, due to the lower ilevels.
    Capping conquest for the next couple of weeks to fill in those couple of spots with 483 ilvl gear is very very viable option to reach those last couple of ilvls needed. Forgot to mention that.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpette View Post

Capping conquest for the next couple of weeks to fill in those couple of spots with 483 ilvl gear is very very viable option to reach those last couple of ilvls needed. Forgot to mention that.
    Sure, but with the increased droprate coming in the patch this is far from necessary. Caping conquest through just BGs is time consuming so unless OP wants to PvP for the sake of PvP then I don't recommend this.

OP sounds like he wants to keep it casual.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Step 1 on dinging 90 - queue for Arena of Annihilation and get a weapon that's not complete crap.

Get in on a Sha of Anger kill whenever you can and don't forget to loot the corpse once he's dead. This will give you a decent pair of boots and if the RNG gods hate you less than me you might even get a very nice tier piece. That's the rumor. I've never actually gotten anything from him so it could be a cruel, cruel lie.

Do Love is in the Air for the 480 neck.

Get to 440 item level and queue for dungeons until you've upgraded enough slots to qualify for the first LFR.

Run LFR. If the first two LFRs don't up your item level enough to qualify for the third one, look into buying a crafted 476 epic or two. They're reasonably cheap nowadays.

Cap your valor, through dungeons, scenarios or dailies. Consider stockpiling lesser charms. Consider the Operation Shieldwall/Dominance Offensive dailies as a priority over other factions, since they let you buy 496 gear.

Run all 5 LFRs next week. Cap your valor. If the patch takes 3 weeks instead of 2, run 5 LFRs and then cap your valor that week as well.

If you have a gathering profession start stockpiling while you wait in queues. Prices for raw materials generally are very nice for the first few days of a patch, and you could turn enough profit to buy one of the new craftables.

When the patch hits buy the 522 neck.

And really this is not very arduous. If you're not willing to do this much work then you're probably not willing to put the work in to be a decent team member in an LFR group. I know that people say it's easy mode for losers, but it's still a group activity and it goes so much nicer when it's not stuffed with lazy facerolling jerks trying to leech off of other people's efforts.
    Last edited by Ninotchka; 2013-02-13 at 06:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iknowi View Post
    I'm only 89 on my DK and I've already completed 2 items on that list (476 crafted + i480 neck) and you can actually start the Klaxxi (and I think tillers) dailys before 90 as well. You can also start benefiting from Sha of Anger as well so probably would have helped if you started this search at 89.

So that just leaves 5mans until you get the 463 + JP you need (then I drop them for Scenarios) and a once a week LFR run for each section. If this is the only 90 you are working on it shouldn't be that bad really with the right planning. Now trying to keep a progression raid char maxed & get a soon to be 90 alt to 480+ is going to be a bit annoying.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

Uninstall before you get disappointed.

Deleted
    Don't expect to be decked in a week. Gearing in 5.2 will be easier to get to 500+ ilvl however there will still be guilds doing MSV HoF and ToES when 5.2 is released. Based on what I have tested on PTR so far, guilds that have just cleared normal and going to have a very bad day focusing on 5.2 normal content, especially the latter bosses. Find a guild that would be willing to take you in and gear you up, and put as much effort into gearing outside of raids as possible. Even if you could potentially get an upgrade the next day.

The game as taken a far more progressive design this expansion. You can't just grind 5 mans and expect to slot in nicely among the players that have played for a couple of months. This approach as added longevity to the game for casuals but has really had a harsh effect on people with alts. Then again, people should focus on 1 character if that's all they can handle.

Deleted
    Just run anything you can from heroics to LFR to pugs if you want, don't expect the gear to fall from the sky.
    And in 5.2 getting ilvl will get easyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    Cap Valor and hoard it for the next patch since they are not wiping it
    According to the Blizz posts, all valor will become JP on patch day.
    EDIT: no reset? Well that is excellent news!
    Last edited by dexx; 2013-02-14 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dexx View Post
    According to the Blizz posts, all valor will become JP on patch day.
    You need to read the massive posts on the front page. They all detail that this time around Valor WILL NOT be reset

Buy gold, pay some 16/16H guild and go to 25man heroic, get BiS in every slot. Patch 5.2 and you are ready for ToT!

Deleted
    Oh, just to point out aswell.

5.2 Honor Gear will not get you into LFR either as it's 476ilvl.