10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by raist474 View Post
    Check the size of your Saved files. If they are over 10 MB, your going to have to do some pruning. I noticed some lag earlier, and not loading screens are once again a thing of the past (SSD FTW.)
    Ty <3 deleted all except my current and they are nearly instant again :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    How exactly does destroying the mercenary group that is actively helping the people of Skyrim that over the course of your adventures eliminates a militant group of paranoid zealots that torture innocent people for information make more sense than eliminating a group of thieves and thugs who are manipulating the economy of a region at war to keep a corrupt bitch in power and over the course of your adventures can ruin multiple businesses and are found to be lead by someone who is corrupt even by their own standards?
    That's just the front. In case you missed the Companions being werewolves part, well they're werewolves.. they just satiate their bloodlust by killing "honorably". And by that I mean just anyone they can, even petty criminals. Their contracts also involve roughing people up for money and killing them. Sure, a lot of them are for good cause, like freeing hostages and killing bandit leaders but they themselves admit that they do it for the killing and the money. Aela doesn't even want the cure when you offer it to her, I guess in the end you can redeem the rest though.

Not only that but turning the player and letting them loose on Whiterun is much worse than framing Brand-Shei in my book. Besides, if you haven't joined the Companions and you meet their roaming bands, they go after you and won't stop for any crime. Even if you accidentally pick a bread off the table, they go for the kill unlike guards who at least ask you to pay the fine first.

Sure the Thieves Guild aren't angels but they are right after College in Winterhood in my book. They don't kill anyone. The empire executes innocent people and tortures them, Stormcloaks are racists and just as bad. Most jarls are corrupt or ignorant and stupid which also means people die. Daedra and Thalmor are just plain evil with no redeeming qualities.
    So yea, if I lived in Skyrim, I'd much rather be a victim of the TG and find myself a little poorer than of the other groups At least I'd be alive then.

Now we're having fun!

Don't be singling out the Companions for using lethal force against criminals. Almost any citizen in Skyrim can hire a murder squad to come after you for stealing from them. And guards will do nothing to stop them.

And if I lived in Skyrim I could avoid being a victim of the Companions by staying on the right side of the law and not go after them. To avoid victimization by the Thieves Guild I would have to leave Skyrim or just be so poor I'm beneath their notice.

eh, the thieves guild are bad imo. sure they don't usually allow killing, but they're still criminals. and i'd say that they'd kill a shop keeper if they couldn't break them with beatings. the companions are just lawful mercs. it seems like they only do legit jobs that don't break the law. yeah, aela gets a little fanatical with her revenge on the hand, but the hand seems like the crusade. capturing and killing anyone believed to be a werewolf, with or without proof. and it also seems they aren't on the side of the law.

idk where i'd put the dark brotherhood. they're certainly not acting legally, but it's not like they're murdering anyone innocent. just assassins for hire, if it wasn't for their sithis thing i'd say they're neutral. but if contracts stop coming, they might turn to violence without reason to sate sithis or whoever he really is. so i'd say they're neutral/neutral evil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    That's just the front. In case you missed the Companions being werewolves part, well they're werewolves.. they just satiate their bloodlust by killing "honorably". And by that I mean just anyone they can, even petty criminals. Their contracts also involve roughing people up for money and killing them. Sure, a lot of them are for good cause, like freeing hostages and killing bandit leaders but they themselves admit that they do it for the killing and the money. Aela doesn't even want the cure when you offer it to her, I guess in the end you can redeem the rest though.

Not only that but turning the player and letting them loose on Whiterun is much worse than framing Brand-Shei in my book. Besides, if you haven't joined the Companions and you meet their roaming bands, they go after you and won't stop for any crime. Even if you accidentally pick a bread off the table, they go for the kill unlike guards who at least ask you to pay the fine first.

Sure the Thieves Guild aren't angels but they are right after College in Winterhood in my book. They don't kill anyone. The empire executes innocent people and tortures them, Stormcloaks are racists and just as bad. Most jarls are corrupt or ignorant and stupid which also means people die. Daedra and Thalmor are just plain evil with no redeeming qualities.
    So yea, if I lived in Skyrim, I'd much rather be a victim of the TG and find myself a little poorer than of the other groups At least I'd be alive then.
    You're forgetting that the Thieves guild currently has a contract with the Dark Brotherhood. While they aren't a "noble" group, the fact that the Thieves guild is in bed with the Dark Brotherhood immediately places them well below the Companions. Even though you are turned into a Werewolf, they give you the chance to cleanse yourself and STILL be part of them even with your knowledge.

The Thieves guild in Skyrim is nothing short of a band of thugs. Compare the Thieves guild in Oblivion vs Skyrim. You'll actually notice that they are a step higher than bandits.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    You're forgetting that the Thieves guild currently has a contract with the Dark Brotherhood. While they aren't a "noble" group, the fact that the Thieves guild is in bed with the Dark Brotherhood immediately places them well below the Companions. Even though you are turned into a Werewolf, they give you the chance to cleanse yourself and STILL be part of them even with your knowledge.

The Thieves guild in Skyrim is nothing short of a band of thugs. Compare the Thieves guild in Oblivion vs Skyrim. You'll actually notice that they are a step higher than bandits.
    Yea, sure, they are criminals. But in a land where everyone is a murderer, a monster or just evil maniac who wants to sacrifice people before breakfast a thief is pretty much a saint. But if you think that a group who just steals without harming anyone deserves to die while a group who turns someone into a werewolf and lets them loose on a city theyre supposed to protect..

But sure, ripping a dozen guards apart with your claws cant be as bad as snatching a loaf of bread or picking a flower from a jarls house..

To be honest, I don't think any of the main guilds are evil except the Dark Brotherhood. And they do kill innocents. Most of the contracts are just people getting revenge. They even have you kill the gourmet who is just a bystander just to get to the emperor. I only did their quests once, now they die every time.

I agree that Oblivion TG and even DB were better though, not done better but they didn't leave a bad feeling after I wish DB quests were more like in Oblivion where you just mostly murder bad people, bandit leaders, evil vampire etc. but then again, if you join a bunch of murderers, what do you expect? They could have made the "destroy the dark brotherhood" chain longer though for good characters. Instead of wiping them out during a single quest, you could work for penitus oculatus, trying to catch them, taking out their members one by one when they're trying to commit assassinations and eventually attack their sanctuary.

I don't know about you but I didn't go about wholesale slaughtering guards. You know, since the quest didn't require it.

But if we start condemning factions based on the actions of the player then nothing in the world of Elder Scrolls is sacred.

Quote Originally Posted by MythiaX View Post
    Any tips on items in game (swords, hammers, armor etc) that fit the paladin playstyle?
    I wonder why Paladins are the new Assassins.

Anyway, You're using SKyRe right? Longswords. Rank 1 in the perk for them has a focus on blocking. But get only rank 1, the other ranks are for spellblades.

wedgied by quest locked areas yet again... just need morokei and my mask collection would be complete. is there any way to get in labyrinthian without the thing from the college quests?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcstunner View Post
    wedgied by quest locked areas yet again... just need morokei and my mask collection would be complete. is there any way to get in labyrinthian without the thing from the college quests?
    Don't think so. You need the torc from whathisname to get in the front door. I guess you -could- coc in and then coc out, but that depends on how much you're willing to risk things getting borked by doing that.

On an unrelated note, anyone has suggestions on where I can go to as a starting area? I love whiterun, but I'm tired of starting in whiterun and want to get out of my comfort zone of everything-to-gear-up-is-in-whiterun mentality. Preferably an IC reason to start there instead of just rolling the dice and picking one of the cities.

You could start out "running away from it all" and going out towards Rorikstead and Markarth.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    Could justify going to other places for a couple reasons:
    Head off to Markarth because of the Breton population if you are a Breton, or because of the Dwarven ruins if your character has an RP reason for that.
    Solitude because your character trusts the Empire and wants to join the cause after escaping with one of their soldiers.
    Head to Windhelm because your character hates the Empire after being almost killed by them.
    Go up to Winterhold after catching word that the college is there.
    Falkreath or Morthal if your character wants to get away and settle for a bit after a rather traumatic escape from Alduin.
    If your character is a criminal, he could head to Riften after hearing about the thieves guild. Or maybe he just likes Black Briar Mead and wants to be close to the source.
    Looking for an honest job working the mines? Just want to live on the beach (well, a really cold beach)? Head to Dawnstar.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fhi View Post
    On an unrelated note, anyone has suggestions on where I can go to as a starting area? I love whiterun, but I'm tired of starting in whiterun and want to get out of my comfort zone of everything-to-gear-up-is-in-whiterun mentality. Preferably an IC reason to start there instead of just rolling the dice and picking one of the cities.
    I normally go to either Falkreath or Riften to start out. While Falkreath is not a great starting zone quests-wise, it still has plenty of herbs to gather and animals to hunt and lots of open world places and towers to loot (easy to run to guards when in trouble) and it's a really beautiful place. Riften on the other hand is much better than Whiterun. Lot's of starter quests, lots of Fed Ex quests and lots of "go run around and gather me plants of get my stuff from some nearby place" quests. As for RP reasons, "it's really cold up north!" and "I'm probably still wanted by the imperials so better hold a low profile" are reasons enough for me

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    Not really a secret, the game says so in the loading screens.
    Anyway you don't really have to join the thieves guild in the main quest, you can persuade brinjolf to help you without helping him. Not destroying them is fine as long as I can also not join them.

10+ Year Old Account
    so i just beat all the major quest lines in skyrim, dawnguard, and dragonborn

Nord Warrior (heavy armor, sheild and sword) cured of being a wolf, and refuses to become a vampire. Also married to this Nord warrior, http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Mjoll_the_Lioness originally my follower. then i did dawn guard and left her behind, missed her, and u know the rest. Became an assassin, and master thief at a younger age. Never did more damage than needed. (hard to do since im a clumsy oaf) became a companion, wizard grand master, and a storm cloak when older.

i love this game. I am almost done with some of the quest lines after the major story in dragonborn

I choose to wear my Stalhrim Armor for a reason.

Also my fav RP moment. Vampires killed my favorite NPC ever, Belethor. I took his soul, enchanted it to my 2 handed weapon i wanted to train, my Daedric great sword no less and started to hunt down vampires and complete dawn guard with that weapon.

btw did i forgot to bring up

my bff http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Sanguine

if i make a second guy, def gonna be a high elf pro empire dude whose a mage and 100% dickish and evil
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2013-02-14 at 06:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Random musing:

Why does every Jarl sit on their thrones in that pimp pose? Why is Elisif the only one who doesn't?

hehe

which town in skyrim is the biggest do you think? solitude? Looks to be about 1000 people there at most (with the amount of housing, probably closer to about 300 or so). Do you think that is actually the scale or do you suppose there would realistically be more.

Kind of on the same topic, the only game that I've played that has had a realistic scale for their cities was the Assassins Creed series, and even there it was on the small side.

Quote Originally Posted by Fhi View Post
    Random musing:

Why does every Jarl sit on their thrones in that pimp pose? Why is Elisif the only one who doesn't?
    Can't sit straight when either the whitecloaks or the elves are using you as a playtoy. At least guys can't.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    hehe

which town in skyrim is the biggest do you think? solitude? Looks to be about 1000 people there at most (with the amount of housing, probably closer to about 300 or so). Do you think that is actually the scale or do you suppose there would realistically be more.

Kind of on the same topic, the only game that I've played that has had a realistic scale for their cities was the Assassins Creed series, and even there it was on the small side.
    Yea, I wish the cities would be a lot bigger than that Even if it means sacrificing some of the freedom. They could have added a huge number of generic houses with generic people living in them and doing generic things just for the scenery. So instead of having like 30-50 people living in each city, they could have upped to number to 300-1000. But yeah.. there is always TES 6 to look forward to.

10+ Year Old Account
    its a shame u cant buy shops and put someone else there instead

then again belethor was irreplaceable... in my heart

---------- Post added 2013-02-14 at 03:02 PM ----------

i would love to start tons of businesses with some fraud options that guards will be all over u with *ex selling stolen goods, and money laundering*

or even my own guild of sorts, the blades was pretty close to that.

its a shame they never had u make ur own village/city in that dlc either.
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2013-02-14 at 03:10 PM.