Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Guild Missions - revealed!

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...-Detailed.html

From the interview:

MMORPG: Let’s talk about the Guild Missions now, as I know my own guild is going to be stoked about them. Can you give us some examples of how they’ll work, and what they’ll be about?

COLIN: The guild mission system is a really exciting advancement of our event system, and for guilds worldwide. The system allows people in a guild to work together to unlock guild upgrades that allow them to go on missions together. These missions can be kicked off by the specific guild that has researched that mission, but once they are activated, anyone can jump in and participate to help the guild finish the mission if they wish. The missions are designed such that some components of the mission can only be completed by the guild themselves, but each of them has aspects other players can assist with as well, so everyone has something they can do during the mission.

Effectively, this system allows guilds to literally create content across the world for everyone to experience. When one of these missions is created, often times you’ll see a banner with the guilds name and emblem that created the content. This serves two purposes. It’s a great recruiting tool for guilds to find players by having them join them on missions and if they stand out, inviting them to the guild. It also means guilds will really gain notoriety on their world; you’ll get to know the guilds creating this content and those guilds will become more famous and important in the community.
    There are multiple categories of guild missions that a guild can kick off, and within each category there are numerous different challenges to overcome worldwide.

To give an example, one category is the guild rush. When a guild creates a guild rush in the world at one of the rush locations, a timer begins and the rush has to be completed X number of times within the allotted time in order for the guild to succeed. If the required number (or more) of players complete the mission before the timer runs out, the guild gets a reward which can be traded for guild-wide bonuses. Anyone can help the guild get their reward by joining in the guild rush and trying to complete it, but the rush doesn’t end until the timer runs out, so everyone can get a chance to complete it even if the minimum requirement for success is surpassed.

For personal motivation, anyone who completes the rush at least once will receive a personal reward regardless of if they are in the sponsoring guild or not. Also, anyone who was in the guild that kicked off the mission receives an extra different type of reward, which can be traded in for a new category of personal guild rewards that can only be earned through the guild mission system.

MMORPG: Will there be guild missions for PVP, WvW, dungeons, or will they all be in the open world?

COLIN: On the initial release of this system, guild missions will be PvE only, and will occur entirely in the open world. The goals of this system are to help make guilds more well known on their world, provide larger motivation to join a guild, to help drive players to every corner of our open world where they will run into other players and build stronger social experiences, to create a much larger diversity of content in our open world, and to allow players to specifically create content in our world for everyone to experience.

We’ll continue to expand this system in the future and add additional guild missions within the categories provided, as well as look at options for new categories of guild missions as well. We haven’t ruled out the possibility these could expand beyond PvE, or beyond the open world, but for now our major focus is on strengthening our open world experience as much as possible and making the living world of GW2 truly shine.

MMORPG: What sort of rewards can guilds obtain by completing them?

COLIN: There are a number of new rewards available from this system, from items specifically for players who complete the missions to rewards and upgrades for the guild itself. Guilds have a lot of new unlocks and really great bonuses they can purchase as a result of completing these missions. For example, you can purchase cheaper waypoint costs for your entire guild while the bonus is active.

Personal reward options vary from luxury goods and new types of items, to fun guild related stuff. One example of a personal reward you can buy I think is especially fun is a transform that turns you into your guild’s banner. It’s perfect for taunting enemies from the walls of a keep in WvW and reminding them who just stomped their face!
    Last edited by Karizee; 2013-02-21 at 10:55 PM.
    Valar morghulis

Guild missions seem cool. Would be nice to kick off special events in lower level zones and see all the ppl spread out in the zone congregate to help out.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is a pretty innovative feature. I am impressed. I have long since passed the desire to be a part of a guild in an MMO, call me an old hermit, but this is a great development for this game. Something I'm sure other MMO's may pick up for their next Xpacs. Between this and the hunt system with Rift, a handful of MMOs are still having new ideas for group play.

It's a good thing to see.
    BAD WOLF

Man I need to find me a guild quick, before I miss out.

Deleted
    hopefully this will be as good in-game as it sounds on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by almosthuman View Post
    hopefully this will be as good in-game as it sounds on paper.
    Always the key.

I don't think I've ever played a game where it played as well in game as it sounded on paper. I'm saying this not just for gw2 but for all games.

10+ Year Old Account
    A forum goer says:
    i hope the new content is done smart and isnt “beatable” only with numbers of auto attack spammers.

And Anthony Ordon responds:
    It’s not.
    Granted, there a bunch of different mission types and they all vary in difficulty. But given that this is guild content, we created some challenges that should hopefully require some decent coordination. And while the risen temple of Grenth is a fine example of very hard event, I think you’ll find that the guild content pressures you ways other than dealing lots of damage. A few missions haven’t even been completed by our internal testers yet (but they came extremely close).

Getting interesting!
    Valar morghulis

The grenth temple event is my favorite out of all of them, so I'm glad they are on that path.

get's me damn exited, I hope the rewards aren't only temporary + % gold/karma/xp-buffs...

---------- Post added 2013-02-14 at 09:55 PM ----------

some of the rewards seem fun:
    -) item which turns you into your guild-banner (in WvW too) to taunt enemies from above the walls.
    -) reduced waypoint-costs (while the bonus is active)

Any sense of scale for them yet? Like how many people must a guild have in order to get stuff done?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll hold judgement until we see what they are. If it's the kind of zergfest associated with most of Gw2 group events it won't be so appealing. If I learnt one thing is arena net know how to sell an idea, the implementation is the let down, but it does sound like a clever and fun guild mechanic, if it's just a load of dredge jumping out of the ground till dead then I'll pass., stick of the sight of those things.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-02-14 at 11:26 PM.

Does guild flag form have costume brawl skills? Obviously the most pertinent question.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Does guild flag form have costume brawl skills? Obviously the most pertinent question.
    I'm envisioning many a banner planted on many a corpse.
    Valar morghulis

Stuff like the Grenth event is what the game needs more of. Events need more mechanics that you actually have to pay attention to or think about, instead of just running out of the red circle. If they can make events more difficult than they are now without just increasing mobs damage I'll have a renewed hope for the world content.

Even the dragon events are majorly disappointing. Cool to look at it, but boring after a couple times.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2013-02-15 at 01:32 AM.

would be nice if those guild missions which will require to complete a meta event - such as grenth temple - made them like twice, thrice as hard as usual (either by spawning more minions, or raising their lvl by 2 for ex)

This has potential, I like the sound of it. But let's withold judgment until we actually get to try it out and see if they follow through...

10+ Year Old Account
    This seems like a interesting system, to help pass time. Maybe now i'll log more time into GW2 other than doing my Daily.

Saw this on MMORPG via Reddit this morning, but only now got to reading.

Sounds pretty cool, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    A forum goer says:
    i hope the new content is done smart and isnt “beatable” only with numbers of auto attack spammers.

And Anthony Ordon responds:
    It’s not.
    Granted, there a bunch of different mission types and they all vary in difficulty. But given that this is guild content, we created some challenges that should hopefully require some decent coordination. And while the risen temple of Grenth is a fine example of very hard event, I think you’ll find that the guild content pressures you ways other than dealing lots of damage. A few missions haven’t even been completed by our internal testers yet (but they came extremely close).

Getting interesting!
    Guild Raids in open world! getting very interesting!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Saw this on MMORPG via Reddit this morning, but only now got to reading.

Sounds pretty cool, imo.
    Damnit, my money was on you coming along and giving it a 'Meh'.

Now I have read the interview several times, I have even been reading it translated in my native language, but it doesn't paint a picture in my head.
    All the talk seems like a water bubble to me. It's like 'Hey, we will add guild missions! You will be able to do... guild things! with your guild' - 'But... how' - 'Well you can place a guild banner in the open world! People can click it to help you do... guild things! And then everyone will know your guild and wants to join it!'

What does he even want to tell us with that guild rushes? 'Literally create content across the world for everyone to experience' sounds a little bit over the top to me.
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus