Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Stats are hard to look at. It's common to see people comparing urban areas to rural areas and pick their stats to claim that a heavily regulated city has more crime. On the flip side it's quite easy to do the opposite. Without something universal in effect you aren't really going to accomplish anything on scale anyway. If you have tough regulations in one state and it's neighboring state has little, well you aren't going to fix much. Chicago has high gun violence and high regulation, it also borders states with far laxer gun regulation. So what gives?

I don't think an assault weapon ban is going to do a whole lot anyways. It's really sad what happened in these last few mass shootings but overall, the majority of gun related violence and deaths aren't committed with assault weapons to begin with. To really dent a problem like you're having you would need to do something about handguns, which isn't going to happen anytime soon. Is it logical to have some of these 'assault weapons'? Not to me, but like I said I don't think banning them is going to solve anything. In my mind a shot gun or your standard bolt/lever action rifle is all a sensible person would need for any practical purpose.

A major problem is how accessible they are and how unaccountable people are for these weapons. If you want these weapons I think you should be held very accountable for where they go and whose hands they end up in. This would might make people much more reluctant to turn around and make a profit off a weapon they know might turn up in bad hands (as it would be traced back to them as the original owner) and make people much more responsible for safekeeping of a weapon. Weapons get stolen and I totally get that but it would take quite sometime alone with the proper tools to get at the weapons we have at home.

We have handgun bans in Canada and our violent crime/deaths with firearms per capita is fairly low. Not as low as a place like Australia, but unfortunately they don't have neighbors accessible by land on the largest undefended border in the world with very relaxed gun laws as neighbors. It's pretty humorous how many ceased handguns committed in crimes here are traced back to the U.S. But hey, with a markup of 9-10x the base price of what an American smuggler would pay for a typical handgun in the U.S, the risk is often worth the reward

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Willy View Post
    Logical fallacies only undermine your position. Nobody takes your argument seriously when you can't commit to some amount of intellectual honesty. Hell, you're starting to mimic the GOP.
    Or Fused, whatever happened to her anyways, finally banned for enough veiled insults?
    "Oh, wretched ephemeral race, children of chance and misery, why do you compel me to tell you what it would be more expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach; not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is --- to die soon." Silenus

Deleted
    Logical fallacies only undermine your position. Nobody takes your argument seriously when you can't commit to some amount of intellectual honesty. Hell, you're starting to mimic the GOP.
    He is actually saying that he doesn't mind using fallacies or half-truths as long as it helps taking guns out of everyone's hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    He is actually saying that he doesn't mind using fallacies or half-truths as long as it helps taking guns out of everyone's hands.
    Yeah, suppose we don't have to worry about his position picking up traction then. People don't like fringe groups with extreme positions and poorly formed arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    I wonder why Obama doesn't even understand why these things are going on in parts of our city.
    *snip*
    It's refreshing to hear people who understand the real issue isn't the guns, but the people who fire them and the reasons why. Hopefully this thinking makes it way to Washington, because they just don't get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Hopefully he realizes after a while that he has no more say in the issue than any of us here in the states. I seriously doubt anyone has changed their stance since reading this thread.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    It's refreshing to hear people who understand the real issue isn't the guns, but the people who fire them and the reasons why. Hopefully this thinking makes it way to Washington, because they just don't get it.
    They could do a federal gun buyback programs worth trillions of dollars. That would be one hell of a stimulus.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    They could do a federal gun buyback programs worth trillions of dollars. That would be one hell of a stimulus.
    \
    Where do we get the trillions of dollars to buy these guns?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    \
    Where do we get the trillions of dollars to buy these guns?
    We print the money......who do you conservatives think we are? Zimbabwe? 1920-30s Germany? We are the largest economy and tax base in the world, and you guys like to bitch over a paltry 16 trillion when we have 3 states that are some of the most productive states in the world.

We print the money......who do you conservatives think we are? Zimbabwe? 1920-30s Germany? We are the largest economy and tax base in the world, and you guys like to bitch over a paltry 16 trillion when we have 3 states that are some of the most productive states in the world.
    Just print more money lol. How long will the charade last?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Just print more money lol. How long will the charade last?
    As long as this country exists? We are the most productive country ON THE PLANET. We could run up a 500% debt to GDP and no one would give a shit.

Technically "we" aren't printing the money, we're borrowing it from the Federal Reserve.

This law will, as it usually is with laws banning something hurt the law abiding citizens the most. If someone wants to commit a crime with full automatic assault weapon, they will manage to get their hands on it whether it is legal or not.

As long as this country exists?
    Thats wierd since all these senators, bankers, etc. seem to think otherwise. If we keep printing money countries who own our debt will want to cash in before they lose money.

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean this whole time we could've just printed 17 trillion dollars to pay off this debt? Why didn't anyone think of this before? Nobody told me we could make free money out of thin air!

Damn, I've got some student loans to pay off. Hey government, mind spotting me a few mil? I promise I'll use the leftovers for good reasons.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Technically "we" aren't printing the money, we're borrowing it from the Federal Reserve.
    A group of private bankers who has no interest in profit. They only care about the well being of this country and its citizens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    You mean this whole time we could've just printed 17 trillion dollars to pay off this debt? Why didn't anyone think of this before? Nobody told me we could make free money out of thin air!

Damn, I've got some student loans to pay off. Hey government, mind spotting me a few mil? I promise I'll use the leftovers for good reasons.
    Oh, they have.

Also see this article: http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/...ff-154234.html
    Last edited by Grizzly Willy; 2013-02-14 at 10:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know why that guy gets so many progressives wet. Didn't he say that we need a big housing bubble in the early 2000s or something along those lines? Everything he's predicted of advocated for has ended horribly (other than saying the EU wouldn't be able to accept austerity properly)
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Deleted
    Gun control is the easiest fix, while you can argue that education and social reform is better overall, you're gonna have to spend trillions and it will take an entire generation to get hold.

The republican approach is just to ignore it and let people kill each other, since gun control or raising taxes to spend on education is not an option.
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2013-02-14 at 11:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Gun control is the easiest fix, while you can argue that education and social reform is better overall, you're gonna have to spend trillions and it will take an entire generation to get hold.
    Yes, except the difference is it will actually be effective versus the current measures proposed; which ultimately are nothing more than token gestures to mollify the masses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.